Is "basket of deplorables" Hillary's 47% moment?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2024, 02:26:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Is "basket of deplorables" Hillary's 47% moment?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 13
Poll
Question: -skip-
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 233

Author Topic: Is "basket of deplorables" Hillary's 47% moment?  (Read 23969 times)
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: September 10, 2016, 05:24:25 PM »
« edited: September 10, 2016, 06:55:47 PM by Justice TJ »

Speaking as someone who actually hates how uptight people today are, why is it that those who shout the loudest about political correctness are some of the thinnest-skinned whiners on earth?

Seriously.  If those three little words trigger you that much, maybe you need some time in your own safe space.
‼realJohnEwards‼
MatteKudasai
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.87

« Reply #76 on: September 10, 2016, 05:30:30 PM »
« Edited: September 10, 2016, 05:32:12 PM by John Ewards »

Any person who equates empathy with pity deserves one and not the other.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #77 on: September 10, 2016, 05:31:31 PM »

http://www.nytimes.com/video/us/politics/100000004533191/unfiltered-voices-from-donald-trumps-crowds.html
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #78 on: September 10, 2016, 05:33:12 PM »

Luckily, Thesaurus.com, which equates the two, has no feelings.
‼realJohnEwards‼
MatteKudasai
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #79 on: September 10, 2016, 05:34:42 PM »
« Edited: September 10, 2016, 05:37:45 PM by John Ewards »

Luckily, Thesaurus.com, which equates the two, has no feelings.
It also equates it with "insight" and "compassion". But surely Clinton isn't advocating "compassion" towards Trump voters...?

The point is, context matters.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #80 on: September 10, 2016, 05:40:29 PM »

I voted yes because I have lost all faith in the American voters to make an even halfway intelligent decision in this election cycle if the narrowing polls are any indication.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #81 on: September 10, 2016, 05:42:19 PM »

I have to say though, basket of deplorables sounds an awful lot like binders full of women.

I disagree. Apples and oranges....

The binders full of women statement was trying to show how cool and hip he was and that he wasn't a sexist.

The deplorables statement is labeling some Trump supporters as racists and bigots, etc.

Neither statement should ever have been said, IMO.

Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #82 on: September 10, 2016, 05:44:20 PM »

For those who think she's wrong: please look up #economicanxiety on twitter, please look up that video the New York Times put up showing the behavior inside of Trump rallies, look up Katy Tur talking about her experiences going to many Trump rallies with a prominent Trump surrogate in the room, look at the movements that have popped up thanks to Donald Trump, look at the rising prominence of white supremacists, look at the mainstreaming of figures like Alex Jones...

I could go on and on and on. No I don't think all Trump supporters are racist, I don't even think half are. But you can't deny the effect of Trump's campaign in bringing out racists and bigots and giving them legitimacy.

It's not about being right or wrong. In my opinion, the point is....some things don't need to be said out loud. Tact goes a long way towards being "stronger together". Hillary didn't have to say it that way. Period.
At some point being nice to people who are morally reprehensible will get you no where.  Screw being nice and making those who are deplorable feel bad.  They should feel like sh**t for supporting that.

I don't know if I agree with you on that. I don't like the idea of Hillary stooping to Trump's low level, although I concede that in the heat of battle, things will get said....

Erich Maria Remarque
LittleBigPlanet
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #83 on: September 10, 2016, 05:46:09 PM »

I see, you like to generalize.  Spin on this!
https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/2010/crime-in-the-u.s.-2010/tables/10shrtbl03.xls

‼realJohnEwards‼
MatteKudasai
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #84 on: September 10, 2016, 05:54:47 PM »

Half of impoverished Americans are blacks, and the poor have much higher murder rates.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #85 on: September 10, 2016, 06:00:27 PM »

Excellent video ! !
For those trump supporters on Atlas .... watch it.
These are the "deplorables" Hillary is talking about .... these are the deplorables that most of us on Atlas bemoan.
My question to them is : Why would you defend them ? Why defend their disgusting actions and behavior ? Is this what you want America to look like ?
Images of his rallies that produce this type of hatred and bigotry is insane .... a bunch of animals wearing degrading T-shirts. Really ?
One thing I can to you as fact, is that Clinton rallies ARE NOTHING like this !
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #86 on: September 10, 2016, 06:02:13 PM »

Half of impoverished Americans are blacks, and the poor have much higher murder rates.

Not getting into the larger debate here, but that's not true at all.  There are nearly twice as many impoverished whites in the United States as impoverished blacks.  There are also significantly more impoverished Hispanics in the U.S.  Blacks have the second-highest poverty rates (narrowly behind Native Americans/Alaska Natives) but don't compose enough of the population to be anywhere near 50% of the impoverished.
Wells
MikeWells12
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #87 on: September 10, 2016, 06:04:12 PM »

I have you on ignore, but I saw this quoted and I just want to ask, what are you trying to say? Because whatever it is, it probably won't be good.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #88 on: September 10, 2016, 06:05:15 PM »

I have to say though, basket of deplorables sounds an awful lot like binders full of women.

The binders full of women statement was trying to show how cool and hip he was and that he wasn't a sexist.

The deplorables statement is labeling some Trump supporters as racists and bigots, etc.

I didn't mean it in terms of their content - just that they're both odd ways to say what they're attempting to say. Romney was attempting to say he made great strides to employ women, but ended up with "binders full of women". Clinton was trying to say that a large chunk of Trump supporters are racists, but ended up with "baskets of deplorbles".
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #89 on: September 10, 2016, 06:06:24 PM »

Men make up the overwhelming majority of murderers. So if you want to make a racial generalization about blacks, which is what it appears here, the same logic can equally apply to men in general as well.
Erich Maria Remarque
LittleBigPlanet
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #90 on: September 10, 2016, 06:08:32 PM »
« Edited: September 10, 2016, 06:11:02 PM by LittleBigOctopus »

I have you on ignore, but I saw this quoted and I just want to ask, what are you trying to say? Because whatever it is, it probably won't be good.
As I said: just don't generalize [without going deeper].

Men make up the overwhelming majority of murderers. So if you want to make a racial generalization about blacks, which is what it appears here, the same logic can equally apply to men in general as well.
LOL, I was implying exactly the opposite.

I think, that Beet were trying to generalize by linking to a video...
Wells
MikeWells12
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #91 on: September 10, 2016, 06:10:00 PM »

As I said: just don't generalize [without going deeper].

And what is your explanation for the high murder rates among blacks?
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #92 on: September 10, 2016, 06:13:05 PM »

Excellent video ! !
For those trump supporters on Atlas .... watch it.
These are the "deplorables" Hillary is talking about .... these are the deplorables that most of us on Atlas bemoan.
My question to them is : Why would you defend them ? Why defend their disgusting actions and behavior ? Is this what you want America to look like ?
Images of his rallies that produce this type of hatred and bigotry is insane .... a bunch of animals wearing degrading T-shirts. Really ?
One thing I can to you as fact, is that Clinton rallies ARE NOTHING like this !

Wow! Things said in that video were absolutely disgusting! I couldn't even repeat them.

Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #93 on: September 10, 2016, 06:15:53 PM »

I voted yes because I have lost all faith in the American voters to make an even halfway intelligent decision in this election cycle if the narrowing polls are any indication.
‼realJohnEwards‼
MatteKudasai
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #94 on: September 10, 2016, 06:17:26 PM »

Not getting into the larger debate here, but that's not true at all.  There are nearly twice as many impoverished whites in the United States as impoverished blacks.  There are also significantly more impoverished Hispanics in the U.S.  Blacks have the second-highest poverty rates (narrowly behind Native Americans/Alaska Natives) but don't compose enough of the population to be anywhere near 50% of the impoverished.
My mistake. I was looking at rates (which don't back this up anyway, now that I'm looking at this again), and conflated them with actual numbers.
‼realJohnEwards‼
MatteKudasai
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #95 on: September 10, 2016, 06:25:53 PM »

While we're on the subject, please explain this:
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #96 on: September 10, 2016, 06:27:45 PM »

I didn't mean it in terms of their content - just that they're both odd ways to say what they're attempting to say. Romney was attempting to say he made great strides to employ women, but ended up with "binders full of women". Clinton was trying to say that a large chunk of Trump supporters are racists, but ended up with "baskets of deplorbles".

Maxwell,
I think you need to watch the entire video or read the entire transcript of what Hillary said.
She immediately follows-up after saying "basket of deplorables," with the fact (definition) that this group of trump supporters are racists, sexist, etc.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #97 on: September 10, 2016, 06:49:38 PM »

It's not exactly the best thing she could have said as she didn't get her message across clearly, but this is certainly no 47% moment.
PeteB
Canada

« Reply #98 on: September 10, 2016, 07:14:42 PM »
« Edited: September 10, 2016, 07:16:18 PM by PeteB »

Her statement was tactless, wrong and in poor taste.    As a politician (especially one who claims we are stronger together) branding voters like this is inexcusable.

However, I voted NO in the poll, simply because I think that Trump is such an incompetent tool that it won't be a gamechanger. In fact, for some of her more partisan supporters it may even be seen as a positive thing. But for the independent voters, this brings her down to Trump levels, and that is not what she should be doing, ahead of the November vote.

I have to say it again: Hillary must thank the Lord for sending her Trump every night before bedtime; with (almost) anybody else, she would be in big trouble right about now.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #99 on: September 10, 2016, 07:25:49 PM »

You are a piece of work. Trump spews all kinds of sh**t about all kinds of people, and Hillary makes ONE statement that disparages some of Trump supporters, and you reply with all this garbage.

You have earned the right to be ignored.

You could probably find Seriously? in the basket of deplorables. A case study on him and the idea of double standards would be pretty fantastic if you ask me. His ability to completely ignore Trump's own issues while screaming at the top of his lungs about Clinton's is remarkable. It doesn't even matter if they do the same thing - it's awful/corrupt/etc when Clinton does it, and completely fine / didn't even happen if Trump does it. Barely any proof required if it's a 'scandal' involving Clinton, but if the same scandal involves Trump, the highest burden of proof is required. Every detail must be confirmed and presented.

He's either a disturbingly-dedicated troll or hypocritical as hell, and I can't help but wonder how this kind of behavior translates into other aspects of his life.

I think you nailed his butt to a T.
As always, those from the party of "tolerance" think they are better than those that dare to be different and not vote for their guy.

Your level of Alinsky-like ridicule will do nothing to change my mind or shut up.
You know, I may believe in universal suffrage, but it's times like these that make Plato's argument very appealing.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 13  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies