FL/OH/PA/NC-Quinnipiac: Tied in FL, Trump lead in OH, Clinton lead in PA/NC
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 10:39:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential General Election Polls
  FL/OH/PA/NC-Quinnipiac: Tied in FL, Trump lead in OH, Clinton lead in PA/NC
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: FL/OH/PA/NC-Quinnipiac: Tied in FL, Trump lead in OH, Clinton lead in PA/NC  (Read 6044 times)
Seriously?
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2016, 02:08:11 PM »

The 2-way/4-way difference in Ohio is striking.
Eh. All MOE stuff, including the NC result.

Fundamentally, where the race is right now, this looks about right.
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

P P P
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2016, 02:10:01 PM »

Clinton is not going to win NC. If Obama couldn't do it again in 2012, it's not happening.

What does his narrow loss in 2012 have to do with this? You realize the current trends in North Carolina actually favor Democrats, right? By all measure, the NC electorate will actually be slightly more favorable to Democrats this year than in 2012, due to demographic changes alone.

Just curious what exactly your justification is for your position. North Carolina is becoming more competitive, not less, and Trump is clearly not a shoe-in for that state based on the polls we have been seeing.

I agree with those statements about changing demographics. My justification for my position is that Hillary Clinton is not Obama and will not drive turn out as effectively in AA communities (Raleigh, Charlotte). Trump will gain more support among blacks than Romney did, simply because there is not an AA present on the ticket.

A) No reason to assume African American turnout will drop all that much.
B) White college voters are shifting towards Clinton, Trump already maxed out here with Romneys numbers among non-college whites
C) Ground game, ground game, ground game
4) HB2 and the general state of the NC GOP.

It will decrease and that's a fact. Both nominees are extremely unpopular and there is a reason to believe that turnout will be lower than 2012. Trump has ground to gain with college educated voters and I believe that he will in the end. He should lose that group narrowly.
Erich Maria Remarque
LittleBigPlanet
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2016, 02:15:01 PM »
« Edited: September 08, 2016, 02:25:16 PM by LittleBigOctopus »

Nice! Smiley

Little by little Smiley

NC and Ohio are little bit off, but overall it seems like Clinton up 1-3 nationally.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2016, 02:16:02 PM »
« Edited: September 08, 2016, 02:17:34 PM by Virginia »

I agree with those statements about changing demographics. My justification for my position is that Hillary Clinton is not Obama and will not drive turn out as effectively in AA communities (Raleigh, Charlotte). Trump will gain more support among blacks than Romney did, simply because there is not an AA present on the ticket.

Basically what Wiz said:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The scenario you are proposing - that reduced African American turnout/support will tank Clinton in NC simply because she isn't black, that would require a pretty decent drop given the support Clinton has from other demographics. Such a drop is unlikely in just 1 election. Black turnout was already trending upwards before Obama, he just supercharged it. Given that studies show people who vote once tend to vote more and more, I'd be skeptical of any claims of the "2012->2004 electorate theory."

To emphasize on Wiz's other points - Clinton is beating the crap out of Trump with GOTV in NC, and her support from college educated whites is valuable as they have higher turnout rates than non-college whites. Romney got, what, almost 60% of college educated whites in 2012, and 74% of non-college? 42-38 is a significant narrowing, even if most of Trump's lost support went to 3rd parties or is undecided.

So I dunno. There are too many reasons to believe Trump is at a disadvantage here if Clinton keeps the race in NC close.

Oh my god, no. You can't claim something like that as a fact. It's your opinion. The election hasn't even happened yet.

Both nominees are extremely unpopular and there is a reason to believe that turnout will be lower than 2012. Trump has ground to gain with college educated voters and I believe that he will in the end. He should lose that group narrowly.

Based on polls in the past that have correlated somewhat with turnout, there is actually reason to believe that turnout could be high, or remain at 2012 levels:

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/fixgov/2016/07/08/why-clinton-and-trump-may-increase-voter-turnout-in-2016/

DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2016, 02:43:37 PM »

Considering that Quinnipiac never produces results that are overly Democratic, these are good results.
Illuminati Blood Drinker
phwezer
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.42, S: -7.30

« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2016, 02:47:23 PM »

Wow, if Clinton is getting these numbers in rigged Quinnijunk polls, imagine what her numbers must really be! Trump is FLOUNDERING, folks. Sad!
HillOfANight
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2016, 02:52:48 PM »

Considering that Quinnipiac never produces results that are overly Democratic, these are good results.
https://twitter.com/ForecasterEnten/status/773962753778323456
Harry Enten of 538 noted that the racial weighting seems a bit funky. 64% white, vs 71% in 2012.

I played around in Excel, and matching 2012's racial demographics is a 1 point Trump lead, and assuming 70% is a tie.
Erich Maria Remarque
LittleBigPlanet
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2016, 02:59:40 PM »

Wow, if Clinton is getting these numbers in rigged Quinnijunk polls, imagine what her numbers must really be! Trump is FLOUNDERING, folks. Sad!
Love you! Cheesy
You too! Cheesy
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2016, 03:01:50 PM »

Down 4 in North Carolina in a Quinnipiac poll isn't impressive. Being down 4 against Trump in Ohio isn't either...Interesting map..
Erich Maria Remarque
LittleBigPlanet
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2016, 03:02:07 PM »

Harry Enten from 538 seems to think Suffolk has it weighted better than Quinnipiac, 69% white vs Q's 64% white (it was 71% in 2012).

I expect red hacks to be as unskew'ish as they were towards CNN Cheesy
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2016, 03:07:39 PM »

NC electorate in 2012 was 71% white, this poll expects 64%.

No way in hell that happens.
Erich Maria Remarque
LittleBigPlanet
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2016, 03:12:35 PM »

Harry Enten of 538 noted that the racial weighting seems a bit funky. 64% white, vs 71% in 2012.

I played around in Excel, and matching 2012's racial demographics is a 1 point Trump lead, and assuming 70% is a tie.

Nate Cohn (Upshot NYT) agrees:

So shell we unskew it like CNN? Invisible Obama taught me, that demographical unskewing is not really an unskewing. Right, Invisible Obama? Smiley

With that said, unskewing was totally based on the concept of party ID and nothing else. If you are talking about the actual demographics of the election, then that is where polls can end up being wrong. I'm talking about what Gallup did when they assumed that the 2012 electorate would look like 2000. It has nothing to do with party and everything to do with demographics.

Let's do it! Or does it apply to Trump friendly polls ONLY? Smiley
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2016, 03:18:31 PM »

NC electorate in 2012 was 71% white, this poll expects 64%.

No way in hell that happens.

Quit unskewing. North Carolina is clearly trending in this direction. It'll be up to Trump to re-establish himself with the so-called 'educated' vote like he has in several other states...just not here yet. I don't think he will pull it off, but that's his only hope. Not changing the demographic battle. Fight with what you got.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2016, 03:18:57 PM »

Nate Cohn (Upshot NYT) agrees:

So shell we unskew it like CNN? Invisible Obama taught me, that demographical unskewing is not really an unskewing. Right, Invisible Obama? Smiley

With that said, unskewing was totally based on the concept of party ID and nothing else. If you are talking about the actual demographics of the election, then that is where polls can end up being wrong. I'm talking about what Gallup did when they assumed that the 2012 electorate would look like 2000. It has nothing to do with party and everything to do with demographics.

Let's do it! Or does it apply to Trump friendly polls ONLY? Smiley

You really should learn how to spell, it shall, not shell. Better yet, just go away and never post again.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2016, 03:20:59 PM »

As long as Clinton can hold Pennsylvania in the east, she should be OK as long as North Carolina and Florida is iffy at best for Trump.

It's tough to imagine a realistic map in which Trump wins nationally, but loses PA (and VA). The only one I can think of involves the unlikely sweep of NC, IA, OH, FL, NV, and NH (with a bonus ME2 if a tie-breaker is necessary)
Erich Maria Remarque
LittleBigPlanet
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2016, 03:22:18 PM »

You really should learn how to spell, it shall, not shell. Better yet, just go away and never post again.
Will you be consistent and unskew this poll? Smiley
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #41 on: September 08, 2016, 03:25:49 PM »

Are you trying to make his behavior match your expectations?  That sounds like you're unskewing it. Smiley
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: September 08, 2016, 03:27:47 PM »

The poll speaks for itself.
Erich Maria Remarque
LittleBigPlanet
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #43 on: September 08, 2016, 03:35:08 PM »

Are you trying to make his behavior match your expectations?  That sounds like you're unskewing it. Smiley

CONSISTENT.

Either you unskew all the polls [with "wrong" demographics] or you don't. It is that simple, bro Smiley
Othervise, it seems little bit... ehm.. pathetic. Do you really not think so Huh

The poll speaks for itself.
But CNN Sad
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #44 on: September 08, 2016, 03:38:38 PM »

I'm confused....I thought that Quinnipiac was supposed to be super biased and not to be trusted?
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #45 on: September 08, 2016, 03:40:09 PM »

I'm confused....I thought that Quinnipiac was supposed to be super biased and not to be trusted?

See the numerous discussions about the shift in RV to LV.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #46 on: September 08, 2016, 03:45:56 PM »

For all of the controversy regarding their shift from RV to LV, overall they are still an A- Polling firm based on 538 data and use a mix of landlines and cell phones, with an 87% accuracy rating and a slight 0.7% Rep House bias.

These are considered better than most of the post-labor day polls we have seen thus far, so although we can argue about the sample size of certain populations, there's no reason to throw these in the trash as junk polls.

Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #47 on: September 08, 2016, 03:49:37 PM »

For all of the controversy regarding their shift from RV to LV, overall they are still an A- Polling firm based on 538 data and use a mix of landlines and cell phones, with an 87% accuracy rating and a slight 0.7% Rep House bias.

These are considered better than most of the post-labor day polls we have seen thus far, so although we can argue about the sample size of certain populations, there's no reason to throw these in the trash as junk polls.

Quinnipiac has a solid reputation going back a decade and is among the best of the uni polls. They're a welcome breath of fresh air among the many actual junk polls we have to deal with.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #48 on: September 08, 2016, 03:55:08 PM »

I mean, the NC poll is obviously too Democratic-friendly and I doubt that PA will be 9 points more Democratic than OH, but overall this looks pretty plausible.

Agreed that NC looks to be too Dem friendly, but makes sense that OH and FL would be close to tied with Trump's national polling improvements in the past couple weeks.

PA does look on the verge of being out of reach for Trump and rapidly on the way of becoming a VA or CO (Virtually impossible) because of White educated voters in the Philly Burbs and Republican/Indie suburban women.
Erich Maria Remarque
LittleBigPlanet
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #49 on: September 08, 2016, 03:59:07 PM »

Compared to their polls from    JUL. 30-AUG. 7
Also LV:

Florida
Clinton - 43% (+0)
Trump - 43%  (+0)
Johnson - 8% (-1)

Ohio
Trump - 41% (-1)
Clinton - 37% (-7)
Johnson - 14% (+6) Wink

Pennsylvania
Clinton - 44% (-4)
Trump - 39%  (+0)
Johnson - 9% (+2)
[/quote]

So, the shift in Florida is too Clinon-friendly, while shift in Ohio is too Trump-friendly. Othervise Clinton >>> Johnson.

It is pretty much consistent with national polls. They show, that Trump was gaining 1-2% since Khan controversy (Clinton +8-9), while Hillary was losing 3-4%. Though Johnson was very stable in nat.polls... Roll Eyes
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies