Why Is Grassley Running for a Seventh Term?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 07:05:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Why Is Grassley Running for a Seventh Term?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Why?
He Doesn't Know What To Do With Himself

He Fears It Would Flip Otherwise

He's Warming It Up For Pat

He Wants Iowa To Keep Seniority

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 14

Author Topic: Why Is Grassley Running for a Seventh Term?  (Read 598 times)
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 02, 2016, 02:17:24 PM »
« edited: September 02, 2016, 02:19:13 PM by FreePhoenix »

For all intents and purposes, Chuck Grassley should be retiring this year, but he's not, and is poised to once again win. He claims it is so Iowa doesn't lose seniority in Congress, but is that really his motivation? If not, why is he running? I think he's past the point of being power hungry -- he's at his power's peak sans Pro Tem, which he has a very strong chance of becoming in due course but is more or less ceremonial. So it's probably a combination of 1 and 3. He's just an old man looking for a purpose that also wants his grandson to have a good career waiting in the docks for him.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2016, 02:46:41 PM »

All your points seem valid, IMO
PAK Man

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2016, 03:00:44 PM »

Even if Grassley did retire, I highly doubt the field would be clear for his grandson. The rumors I keep hearing are that Bill Northey, state ag secretary, really wants the seat, and will probably go for it once it gets open.

The theory I most believe is that Northey will run for senate once Grassley retires and Pat Grassley will then run for state ag secretary.

Among the other prominent Republicans in the state, I don't see King running for it (I think even he knows he can't win statewide in Iowa, plus he knows he'd never get support from the national party). Latham's probably done with politics. Reynolds is clearly being groomed as Branstad's successor (she's the most active lieutenant governor the state has ever seen). And I don't really think Paul Pate (SoS) or Mary Mosiman (Auditor) are really interested in the promotion. Ditto for David Young.
LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2016, 03:34:40 PM »

ChuckGrassley ‏@ChuckGrassley  Aug 30
A biz u may not be familiar w is Veridian in Spencer. Manufacturer of firefighters protective gear + export 30% of products. thx 4 invite

Sorry, what were you saying?

Probably because he's power-hungry and fears it would flip.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2016, 05:07:20 PM »
« Edited: September 02, 2016, 05:08:55 PM by Virginia »

I'm sure many politicians have their own reasons, but the most likely one (imo) is that he just likes the job for one or more reasons (power, something to do, whatever). Look at McCain - he is 80 years old, running for another term. Honestly, he doesn't even look like he'll last another full term, but clearly it's important enough to him that he is willing to cling to that seat until the day he dies.

It's guys like this that make me think Senators should be limited to 3 terms max (so 18 years). Allow younger politicians from another generation to move up and introduce new ideas. I mean some politicians have literally stayed in the same office for upwards of half a century (Byrd - about 50, Thurmond - for 46~ years or so). Think about that. Thurmond was already 48 years old when he ran against freakin Truman, and he had a death grip on that SC Senate seat all the way up until 2003. It's ridiculous.

Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2016, 10:28:45 PM »

Yeah i think if it was a midterm he would retire. Grassley seems to enjoy being a senator though, and although he can play the political games with the best of them, he has been a strong advocate for the people of his state.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2016, 10:34:50 PM »

Because that seat would go to the Democrats otherwise.
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2016, 10:44:28 PM »

Probably to make sure to hold it for the GOP. He is also still in great shape and good health and perfectly capable of doing the job. He runs like 3 miles a day.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2016, 05:08:17 AM »

Maybe. He and Governor Braindead just stay in office forever.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies