Bernie wins Clark county NV convention vote
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 08:55:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Bernie wins Clark county NV convention vote
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Author Topic: Bernie wins Clark county NV convention vote  (Read 7513 times)
Minnesota Mike
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: April 02, 2016, 08:55:58 PM »

Regardless if you are Clinton or Sanders supporter this is a f*^ked up way to pick a Presidential candidate.  
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #51 on: April 02, 2016, 08:57:08 PM »

Now imagine all of this where such conspiracies are actually happening, it changes the results of the race, and everybody has a gun. Get ready for the GOP convention guys.
dax00

« Reply #52 on: April 02, 2016, 08:58:05 PM »

Regardless if you are Clinton or Sanders supporter this is a f*^ked up way to pick a Presidential candidate.  

Amen.

At one point a man was running up and down the aisle screaming that two Bernie supporters had been arrested for catching some Hillary operatives apparently reallocating Bernie delegates as Hillary delegates.  His evidence for this came from a YouTube video that he had not himself seen.

Can anybody explain to me how it makes sense to arrest Bernie supporters for catching Hillary supporters committing voter fraud?
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #53 on: April 02, 2016, 08:59:22 PM »

Just got home.  I left early because... ugh, what a mess.  Seven straight hours of standing and sitting around will test anybody's patience.

Both campaigns were enthusiastic, but my god the Bernie supporters are intense.  To the point of borderline terrifying.

At one point a man was running up and down the aisle screaming that two Bernie supporters had been arrested for catching some Hillary operatives apparently reallocating Bernie delegates as Hillary delegates.  His evidence for this came from a YouTube video that he had not himself seen.

Then as I was leaving, along with hundreds of other tired delegates from both sides, a teenager with a megaphone was begging the Bernie supporters to turn around and go back inside, because the remaining Hillary delegates were going to overturn the results and declare a Hillary victory.

I sympathize with you Joe. I can only imagine how Torie would've felt if he was forced to spend 7 hours commingling with a bunch of teabaggers.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #54 on: April 02, 2016, 08:59:29 PM »

At one point a man was running up and down the aisle screaming that two Bernie supporters had been arrested for catching some Hillary operatives apparently reallocating Bernie delegates as Hillary delegates.  His evidence for this came from a YouTube video that he had not himself seen.

Can anybody explain to me how it makes sense to arrest Bernie supporters for catching Hillary supporters committing voter fraud?

Exactly.  The paranoid crazy was out in force.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #55 on: April 02, 2016, 09:28:24 PM »

http://lasvegassun.com/news/2016/apr/02/sanders-wins-most-delegates-at-clark-county-conven/

Because of the way delegate selection works in Nevada, 23 delegates to the Democratic National Committee are selected on the district level, based proportionally on the Feb. 20 caucus results. Only five pledged party leaders and elected official delegates and seven at-large delegates will be selected proportionally based on party preference of the state convention.

That's not what Green Papers says or how it worked in 2008.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #56 on: April 02, 2016, 09:47:17 PM »

Just got home.  I left early because... ugh, what a mess.  Seven straight hours of standing and sitting around will test anybody's patience.

Both campaigns were enthusiastic, but my god the Bernie supporters are intense.  To the point of borderline terrifying.

At one point a man was running up and down the aisle screaming that two Bernie supporters had been arrested for catching some Hillary operatives apparently reallocating Bernie delegates as Hillary delegates.  His evidence for this came from a YouTube video that he had not himself seen.

Then as I was leaving, along with hundreds of other tired delegates from both sides, a teenager with a megaphone was begging the Bernie supporters to turn around and go back inside, because the remaining Hillary delegates were going to overturn the results and declare a Hillary victory.

Thank you for being a non-crazy participant.  Our democratic system is messy, that's for sure.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #57 on: April 02, 2016, 10:01:33 PM »

http://lasvegassun.com/news/2016/apr/02/sanders-wins-most-delegates-at-clark-county-conven/

Because of the way delegate selection works in Nevada, 23 delegates to the Democratic National Committee are selected on the district level, based proportionally on the Feb. 20 caucus results. Only five pledged party leaders and elected official delegates and seven at-large delegates will be selected proportionally based on party preference of the state convention.

The rules were changed to specifically prevent what happened in 2008 from occurring again.
Wells
MikeWells12
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #58 on: April 02, 2016, 10:09:29 PM »

It's good to hear that Hillary Clinton still won Nevada and Sanders didn't steal the election from her. Caucuses are terrible.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #59 on: April 02, 2016, 10:11:13 PM »

Why do Clinton supporters criticize caucuses as anti-democratic but not superdelegates seems like more a sore loser thing than a worry for democracy
Because the super-delegates aren't going to overturn the majority of pledged delegates.

I mean, if caucus shenanigans like these were enough to alter the outcome, I'm sure they'd have no problem doing so. Luckily it won't be that close.

Good to see jfern doesn't care about subverting the will of the voters. Somehow, I'm not surprised.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #60 on: April 02, 2016, 10:15:44 PM »

The rules were changed to specifically prevent what happened in 2008 from occurring again.

Nope. It's pretty clear if you read the document rather than assuming that Ralston has any idea what he's talking about.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://nvdems.3cdn.net/efafb4788ed845d0d3_08m6i2zsp.pdf
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #61 on: April 02, 2016, 10:18:03 PM »

Why do Clinton supporters criticize caucuses as anti-democratic but not superdelegates seems like more a sore loser thing than a worry for democracy
Because the super-delegates aren't going to overturn the majority of pledged delegates.

I mean, if caucus shenanigans like these were enough to alter the outcome, I'm sure they'd have no problem doing so. Luckily it won't be that close.

Good to see jfern doesn't care about subverting the will of the voters. Somehow, I'm not surprised.

The will of the voters who didn't bother to show up?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #62 on: April 02, 2016, 10:20:55 PM »

The voters showed up on February 20th, which they had understood would be the day on which Nevadans would decide on the presidential nominee.  The arcane procedures that followed are hardly the hallmark of a free, fair and open democracy, as evidenced today.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #63 on: April 02, 2016, 10:22:04 PM »

Let's be clear on this: How exactly did a Clinton win turn into a Sanders win here? My understanding is that of the many delegates chosen at the initial caucuses, a lot failed to come out to the county conventions. Then, because more Sanders delegates (and alternates) showed up than Clinton delegates, Sanders was able to take the lead. Now, how is it that Clinton delegates failing to show up for the event they were chosen to attend represents anything other than a failure on the part of the Clinton campaign in turning out responsible delegates? Please correct me if I'm wrong (I may very well be since I'm not too familiar with caucus rules), but isn't this a Sanders win simply because more of his delegates actually showed up?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #64 on: April 02, 2016, 10:23:50 PM »

The voters showed up on February 20th, which they had understood would be the day on which Nevadans would decide on the presidential nominee.  The arcane procedures that followed are hardly the hallmark of a free, fair and open democracy, as evidenced today.

They are kind of strange, but the same thing happened in Nevada 8 years ago.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #65 on: April 02, 2016, 10:24:00 PM »

They showed up to vote on election day. Nobody cares about the technicalities of some archaic and outdated caucus procedure. It's about as democratic as faithless electors and superdelegates.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #66 on: April 02, 2016, 10:25:05 PM »

Let's be clear on this: How exactly did a Clinton win turn into a Sanders win here? My understanding is that of the many delegates chosen at the initial caucuses, a lot failed to come out to the county conventions. Then, because more Sanders delegates (and alternates) showed up than Clinton delegates, Sanders was able to take the lead. Now, how is it that Clinton delegates failing to show up for the event they were chosen to attend represents anything other than a failure on the part of the Clinton campaign in turning out responsible delegates? Please correct me if I'm wrong (I may very well be since I'm not too familiar with caucus rules), but isn't this a Sanders win simply because more of his delegates actually showed up?

This shouldn't have to be a test of endurance, to see how many days of events taking up several hours (half of which spent standing outside in the sun) each candidate's supporters can survive.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #67 on: April 02, 2016, 10:25:32 PM »

They showed up to vote on election day. Nobody cares about the technicalities of some archaic and outdated caucus procedure. It's about as democratic as faithless electors and superdelegates.

Were people this outraged when the same thing happened 8 years ago in Nevada?
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #68 on: April 02, 2016, 10:27:33 PM »

This shouldn't have to be a test of endurance, to see how many days of events taking up several hours (half of which spent standing outside in the sun) each candidate's supporters can survive.

Oh I completely agree that these caucus rules are horrible, I'm just trying to figure out what people are talking about with Sanders shenanigans when it seems the only fault comes from the rules of the caucus itself and the lack in number of Clinton delegates.
Minnesota Mike
YaBB God

« Reply #69 on: April 02, 2016, 10:28:50 PM »

Nope. It's pretty clear if you read the document rather than assuming that Ralston has any idea what he's talking about.

I agree the rules are as clear as mud but the key section is at the bottom of page 8, top of page 9.

Determining step is the the key phrase.  The district delegates are determind by the Feb 20 precinct caucuses
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #70 on: April 02, 2016, 10:32:38 PM »

Were people this outraged when the same thing happened 8 years ago in Nevada?

I'd imagine so, yes. I didn't pay close enough attention back then to know for sure. At the end of the day it wasn't determinative, just like this won't be, but I can only imagine the chaos that would ensue if it was.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #71 on: April 02, 2016, 10:34:07 PM »
« Edited: April 02, 2016, 10:36:08 PM by ○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└ »

I agree the rules are as clear as mud but the key section is at the bottom of page 8, top of page 9.

Determining step is the the key phrase.  The district delegates are determind by the Feb 20 precinct caucuses

The word determining probably shouldn't be there. Right before that there's this. The second and third tiers clearly matter.

Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #72 on: April 02, 2016, 10:34:19 PM »

Oh I completely agree that these caucus rules are horrible, I'm just trying to figure out what people are talking about with Sanders shenanigans when it seems the only fault comes from the rules of the caucus itself and the lack in number of Clinton delegates.

I'm not calling shenanigans.  The Sanders people won today's vote fair and square; my complaint is this system that allowed for it in the first place.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #73 on: April 02, 2016, 10:35:32 PM »

I'd imagine so, yes. I didn't pay close enough attention back then to know for sure. At the end of the day it wasn't determinative, just like this won't be, but I can only imagine the chaos that would ensue if it was.

Hillary was still running for President when she lost Nevada.
catographer
Megameow
United States
« Reply #74 on: April 02, 2016, 10:37:37 PM »

Atlas's dream world would be one in which the primaries were conducted just like general elections, all popular vote proportional binding delegate representation.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies