Democratic Super Tuesday results thread (first polls close at 7pm ET)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 12, 2024, 05:08:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Democratic Super Tuesday results thread (first polls close at 7pm ET)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30
Author Topic: Democratic Super Tuesday results thread (first polls close at 7pm ET)  (Read 43731 times)
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #600 on: March 01, 2016, 11:54:28 PM »

Clearly, Sanders' performance in CO/MA/MN/OK/VT wasn't bad at all. It was his crushing losses in the South that made it a bad night for him. Case in point, the biggest mistake of the Sanders campaign was only focusing on states he thought he could win. In a proportional system, it's worth your while to invest in Texas, even if it's not a state you can win. Better to lose by 15% than 35%.
Boston Bread
New Canadaland
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

« Reply #601 on: March 01, 2016, 11:55:23 PM »

The benchmark in VT was for him to win by margins that would be  out of the reach of most dictators.
Sorenroy
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -5.91

P P
« Reply #602 on: March 01, 2016, 11:56:35 PM »

Thank you Massholes! No way this can be spun as anything other than an amazing night for Hillary now.

Bernie got 4 wins, and should shut Hillary out of delegates in Vermont.

Pledged yes, supers no.

Ah, yes. The Superdelegate Defense. Basically implying that if Clinton doesn't win the nomination democratically, she'll win it undemocratically.

Dude, she's gonna be up ~250 pledged after tonight. That's basically insurmountable in a proportional system. Might need to update those talking points.

I'd argue that anybody who still talks about superdelegates needs to update their own talking points first.

Uh, in the 2008 primaries Hillary won over 300,000 more votes than Obama, but he still won because of superdelegates.

I agree that they are unnecessary, but they do matter and it's not some kind of anti-Sanders/pro-Hillary "anti-democracy" conspiracy.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2008/president/democratic_vote_count.html

Estimate w/IA, NV, ME, WA

Obama - 17,869,542

Clinton - 17,717,698

Either way, superdelegates (and Caucuses) are an affront to the democratic system.
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #603 on: March 01, 2016, 11:56:43 PM »

CNN spinning it as Bernie making it a race.

Yeah according to them Bernie is going to win everything from here on out...

The entire former confederacy except for Kentucky will be done voting by the 15th.

And then we move to the Midwest and the coasts, where Hillary going to rack up more delegates and votes in big states! Cheesy
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #604 on: March 01, 2016, 11:56:46 PM »

Clearly, Sanders' performance in CO/MA/MN/OK/VT wasn't bad at all. It was his crushing losses in the South that made it a bad night for him. Case in point, the biggest mistake of the Sanders campaign was only focusing on states he thought he could win. In a proportional system, it's worth your while to invest in Texas, even if it's not a state you can win. Better to lose by 15% than 35%.

Bingo. Skipping a state here and there might be worthwhile, but for the most part you want to fight for every delegate in a proportional system, especially for something YUGE like Texas. His strategy makes me think he doesn't actually intend to win.
RFK Jr.’s Brain Worm
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #605 on: March 01, 2016, 11:57:02 PM »

The benchmark in VT was for him to win by margins that would be  out of the reach of most dictators.
Asian Nazi
d32123
China

« Reply #606 on: March 01, 2016, 11:57:29 PM »

Wins keeps the money flowing.  Most of his supporters don't understand how the process actually works and will just keep throwing money at him based on his "strong" performance tonight.  And as long as he has money he thinks he'll be able to come back and win.
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #607 on: March 01, 2016, 11:57:52 PM »

Thank you Massholes! No way this can be spun as anything other than an amazing night for Hillary now.

Pledged yes, supers no.

Ah, yes. The Superdelegate Defense. Basically implying that if Clinton doesn't win the nomination democratically, she'll win it undemocratically.

Dude, she's gonna be up ~250 pledged after tonight. That's basically insurmountable in a proportional system. Might need to update those talking points.

I'd argue that anybody who still talks about superdelegates needs to update their own talking points first.

Uh, in the 2008 primaries Hillary won over 300,000 more votes than Obama, but he still won because of superdelegates.

I agree that they are unnecessary, but they do matter and it's not some kind of anti-Sanders/pro-Hillary "anti-democracy" conspiracy.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2008/president/democratic_vote_count.html

Obama - 17,869,542

Clinton - 17,717,698

Either way, superdelegates (and Caucuses) are an affront to the democratic system.

I wouldn't trust RCP to have their numbers updated. I'd use Wiki instead: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democratic_Party_presidential_primaries,_2008
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #608 on: March 01, 2016, 11:57:59 PM »

I agree, it's a shame Bernie didn't put up a fight in Texas. I think he could have held Hillary under 60.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #609 on: March 01, 2016, 11:58:10 PM »

Pledged yes, supers no.

Obama - 17,869,542

Clinton - 17,717,698

Also if you don't estimate the caucus states like that, if you just exclude Michigan, where Obama wasn't on the ballot, he wins.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #610 on: March 01, 2016, 11:58:13 PM »

Whoo! You go Bernie; ride that wave on white voters and no one else...FEEL THE BERN on your pasty skin.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #611 on: March 01, 2016, 11:59:56 PM »

Ironically, the Sanders Campaign mistake in 2016 was the same mistake the Clinton Campaign made in 2008 (although it was the caucus states she ignored in 2008 rather than writing off a region).  She learned from last time.
Panhandle Progressive
politicaljunkie
United States

« Reply #612 on: March 02, 2016, 12:00:03 AM »

FEEL THE (CLINTON) BURN! PLUS, IT WILL ONLY GET STRONGER!
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #613 on: March 02, 2016, 12:00:30 AM »

Not a horrible night for Sanders, but not very good either. Considering the expectations game, I think he managed to hold on for now. Kudos to Clinton for slamming out wins in the South. Massachusetts was very close, expected 6+ Clinton so somewhat surprised.

Michigan comes next, and if Sanders fails to win that, it will be difficult to recover to eek out wins on March 15th.
Boston Bread
New Canadaland
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

« Reply #614 on: March 02, 2016, 12:01:55 AM »

FEEL THE (CLINTON) BURN! PLUS IT WILL ONLY GONNA GET STRONGER!
Demographically, the Clinton burn will be stronger today than at any other time. She can look forward to getting these margins in MS, LA, and DC, but nowhere else.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #615 on: March 02, 2016, 12:02:28 AM »

Whoo! You go Bernie; ride that wave on white voters and no one else...FEEL THE BERN on your pasty skin.

A lot of people just don't know Bernie well enough. He won big with Vermont minorities.
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #616 on: March 02, 2016, 12:02:55 AM »

Final American Samoa Result - 68.4% Clinton; 25.7% Sanders
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #617 on: March 02, 2016, 12:04:04 AM »

Super Tuesday is also deceptive in determining who will win. Clinton has an obvious advantage in the South.

It's a national campaign, and Sanders lost in the South as a whole by at least 35%. There's no recovering from that, even if he wins small white caucus states like Kansas and Nebraska, which will net him like 15 delegates.
Panhandle Progressive
politicaljunkie
United States

« Reply #618 on: March 02, 2016, 12:04:56 AM »

Demographically, the Clinton burn will be stronger today than at any other time. She can look forward to getting these margins in MS, LA, and DC, but nowhere else.

MOMENTUM is what I was referencing. Not % margins, although I see how that could have been misconstrued.
Reginald
« Reply #619 on: March 02, 2016, 12:05:19 AM »

A lot of people just don't know Bernie well enough. He won big with Vermont minorities.

Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #620 on: March 02, 2016, 12:07:16 AM »

This is the most embarrassing post I've read on this site.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #621 on: March 02, 2016, 12:07:20 AM »

She doesn't need those massive margins anymore due to her massive delegate lead. Even in the worst case scenario, she just needs to keep most contests remotely close. Easy peasy.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #622 on: March 02, 2016, 12:07:41 AM »

As in he won 4 of the 5 black people in Vermont?
Sorenroy
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -5.91

P P
« Reply #623 on: March 02, 2016, 12:07:47 AM »

I know it's only by 0.1% but, in a race he's loosing by 34.1 points, why is Sanders leading in Austin?
Panhandle Progressive
politicaljunkie
United States

« Reply #624 on: March 02, 2016, 12:08:53 AM »

I know it's only by 0.1% but, in a race he's loosing by 34.1 points, why is Sanders leading in Austin?

Weird hipsters.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies