#NeverTrump GOP endorsements LATEST: Graham and Lee voted McMullin
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 03, 2024, 02:29:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  #NeverTrump GOP endorsements LATEST: Graham and Lee voted McMullin
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 ... 45
Author Topic: #NeverTrump GOP endorsements LATEST: Graham and Lee voted McMullin  (Read 112280 times)
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #475 on: August 08, 2016, 11:05:49 PM »

If Collins is gone, I'm gone too and I'm taking the rest of the moderates with me.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #476 on: August 08, 2016, 11:07:23 PM »

99.9% chance that Collins votes for Clinton in the privacy of the voting booth
But Maxwell told me that Collins is a loyal GOP foot soldier.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #477 on: August 08, 2016, 11:09:21 PM »

Still more loyal than our esteemed nominee!
Fuzzy Bear Loves Christian Missionaries
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #478 on: August 08, 2016, 11:13:12 PM »

Collins may switch parties. 

If Trump is THAT BAD, why isn't Collins endorsing Clinton?  She's not a conservative Republican; she's the most liberal Republican in the Senate, and no less than a moderate, in terms of the overall spectrum.  If Trump is such a scumbag, why isn't an endorsement of Hillary Clinton too much of a leap for Susan Collins?

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I hear this a lot from the #NeverTrump crowd.  I just love being "understood" by the elitists of politics, Susan Collins being a personification of that elitism.  But the public HAS demanded action, and Susan Collins' response is to reinforce the Globalism that has ruined the lives of so much of the "public" that is demanding "action".  If Susan Collins will not respond affirmatively to the demands of the public with its accompanying real passions that chose Donald Trump as the nominee of her party, they what will it take to get her to respond affirmatively to those demands for action?  Riots in the streets?  A March On Washington like the 1931 Bonus Marchers?  Susan Collins cares not one whit for the folks that are, in fact, demanding action.  She doesn't want to act on their demands.  That's the condescending excrement she throws out.  If there's one thing I hate, it's folks who want to tell me how justified my grievances are, yet not want to address a single one of them, except for MAYBE the most trivial.

Collins would stand far removed ideologically from the rest of the D caucus, far more so than she is currently separated from the rest of the GOP caucus.

I honestly don't believe so.  As many Southern Democrats who switched parties became more conservative, Collins would become more liberal.  Conservative Democrats and Liberal Republicans make many votes that are accomodations to their party, but which are not truly reflective of their own beliefs.
Fight for Trump
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #479 on: August 09, 2016, 02:15:01 AM »

Collins would stand far removed ideologically from the rest of the D caucus, far more so than she is currently separated from the rest of the GOP caucus.
Collins is not far removed from the likes of Manchin, Warner, Donnelly or Heitkamp. By many measurements, she is to the left of some or all of the previously mentioned. If Bayh gets in, there would be a much healthier population of centrists on the Dem side than the GOP side which would basically just be her and Murkowski.

The problem with Collins becoming a Democrat isn't so much that she would be isolated (she already is), but that she would be much more vulnerable in a D primary in Maine than a R primary. Plus, she likes being Obama's pet Republican.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #480 on: August 09, 2016, 03:34:48 AM »

The flight of the educated voters continues...Harvard Republicans are now #NeverTrump....

https://twitter.com/thecrimson/status/761269926061572096

How? They're still in the middle of summer break.

Well, I have to make sure my old friends at my alma mater follow suit.

Update: this is turning out to be a lot harder than I thought it would be.
Pouring Rain and Blairing Music
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #481 on: August 09, 2016, 03:57:49 AM »

The GOP nominee trying to take CA-7 away from the Dems has moved from Trump to 'I dunno'

Cook lists CA-7 as an EVEN district and the race is considered only Lead D.

Jones is toast anyways. He was a bit too handsy with some of the freshly minted female sheriffs.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #482 on: August 09, 2016, 04:11:42 AM »

If Trump is THAT BAD, why isn't Collins endorsing Clinton?  She's not a conservative Republican; she's the most liberal Republican in the Senate, and no less than a moderate, in terms of the overall spectrum.  If Trump is such a scumbag, why isn't an endorsement of Hillary Clinton too much of a leap for Susan Collins?

I hear this a lot from the #NeverTrump crowd.  I just love being "understood" by the elitists of politics, Susan Collins being a personification of that elitism.  But the public HAS demanded action, and Susan Collins' response is to reinforce the Globalism that has ruined the lives of so much of the "public" that is demanding "action".  If Susan Collins will not respond affirmatively to the demands of the public with its accompanying real passions that chose Donald Trump as the nominee of her party, they what will it take to get her to respond affirmatively to those demands for action?  Riots in the streets?  A March On Washington like the 1931 Bonus Marchers?  Susan Collins cares not one whit for the folks that are, in fact, demanding action.  She doesn't want to act on their demands.  That's the condescending excrement she throws out.  If there's one thing I hate, it's folks who want to tell me how justified my grievances are, yet not want to address a single one of them, except for MAYBE the most trivial.

Not to be condescending, but since the solutions you want are really stupid and pointless it kind of leaves them in a bind - either they're willing to pander to you by lying and spouting nonsense (see Trump) or they aren't and then you'll keep getting madz.
Fuzzy Bear Loves Christian Missionaries
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #483 on: August 09, 2016, 06:02:28 AM »

Not to be condescending, but since the solutions you want are really stupid and pointless it kind of leaves them in a bind - either they're willing to pander to you by lying and spouting nonsense (see Trump) or they aren't and then you'll keep getting madz.

"Stupid and pointless" is what a number of folks think are the very lives of Trump supporters.  That's why it's so easy for them to dismiss their plight as displaced workers.

If their very lives were not viewed as "stupid and pointless", solutions to their very real problems would be sought actively by folks who, frankly, view their lot as some sort of karma for their opposition to "progressive" values.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #484 on: August 09, 2016, 06:39:10 AM »

Republican EPA Administrators Endorse Clinton

pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #485 on: August 09, 2016, 07:59:47 AM »

Collins is not far removed from the likes of Manchin, Warner, Donnelly or Heitkamp. By many measurements, she is to the left of some or all of the previously mentioned. If Bayh gets in, there would be a much healthier population of centrists on the Dem side than the GOP side which would basically just be her and Murkowski.

The problem with Collins becoming a Democrat isn't so much that she would be isolated (she already is), but that she would be much more vulnerable in a D primary in Maine than a R primary. Plus, she likes being Obama's pet Republican.

But Bar4ack Obama will no longer be President on January 22, 2017.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #486 on: August 09, 2016, 08:35:40 AM »

Republican EPA Administrators Endorse Clinton

Since EPA administrator is a Cabinet level position, I've added them to the list in the OP.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #487 on: August 09, 2016, 08:37:24 AM »

I just asked myself who Richard Nixon, Gerald Ford and Ronald Reagan would support this election, if they were still around.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #488 on: August 09, 2016, 08:42:12 AM »

"Stupid and pointless" is what a number of folks think are the very lives of Trump supporters.  That's why it's so easy for them to dismiss their plight as displaced workers.

If their very lives were not viewed as "stupid and pointless", solutions to their very real problems would be sought actively by folks who, frankly, view their lot as some sort of karma for their opposition to "progressive" values.

So, what's the solution to people losing these jobs? Recreating the 50s? Dismantling global trade? Building a wall? The world changes and sometimes that change is painful for some groups in society. And in those cases I do think society should help people adjust. But the Republican base is just stoked up on racism and craziness. While I agree that it was cynical of the Republican elite to fan these flames I think it's weird that the reverse is never pointed out - one reason this group is doing badly is that they decided they would rather be represented by people who gave them no help as long as those people promised to rant and rave about gays and blacks.

The plight of the white working class is very real and I do think that deserves a lot of respect. But the Trump track is a total dead-end for their aspirations. 
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #489 on: August 09, 2016, 03:20:48 PM »

A list of Republicans supporting Clinton:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/08/09/all-of-the-top-republicans-voting-for-hillary-clinton-instead-of-donald-trump.html

Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #490 on: August 09, 2016, 06:18:46 PM »

Former Congresswoman Mary Bono gets added to the list:

https://twitter.com/MaryBonoUSA/status/762997537728974848

Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #491 on: August 09, 2016, 07:01:07 PM »

It better not be over character. She left her husband after he got crushed in the Senate race here. She is what Howard Stern calls "a star finkser."
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #492 on: August 09, 2016, 07:41:47 PM »

OK, added her to the list in the OP.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #493 on: August 09, 2016, 08:53:37 PM »

Rep. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen, R-Fla., plans to write in Jeb Bush for President.

Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #494 on: August 09, 2016, 09:51:06 PM »

I stand by that - it's a bigger statement about how much of a disaster Trump is than a statement on how MODERATE AND INDEPENDENT Collins is.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #495 on: August 10, 2016, 11:41:14 AM »

Off the top of my head, I can think of at least 10 Republican Senators who haven’t even offered an Ayotte-esque “I support the nominee, though with reservations” boilerplate statement of support:

Coats
Collins
Cruz
Flake
Graham
Heller
Kirk
Lee
Sasse
Toomey

Looks like Coats is no longer on this list, btw, as he currently supports Trump:

http://www.journalgazette.net/news/local/local-politics/Coats-will-continue-to-support-Trump-14589416

So we're currently at 9 sitting Republican US Senators not supporting Trump, though not all of them all #NeverTrump.  Some, like Heller and Toomey, haven't ruled out a Trump endorsement at some point in the future.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #496 on: August 10, 2016, 02:10:36 PM »

Senator Kirk (R-IL): "I'll write in Colin Powell".
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #497 on: August 10, 2016, 03:32:02 PM »

Is this who we want as President? Someone who turns so many people off from his own party? A guy who blurts out anything and everything from his mouth without censor, creating lots of trouble for himself? A guy who denigrates, picks on, and belittles everyone who doesn't fawn all over him?

For the rest of the list, go here:

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/290999-republican-exodus-from-trump-grows

Fight for Trump
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #498 on: August 10, 2016, 04:09:30 PM »

He's lost it. How in the world can you even justify this? At least have the decency to write in Cruz.

This RINO deserves to be hunted.
Pouring Rain and Blairing Music
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #499 on: August 10, 2016, 04:24:39 PM »

He's lost it. How in the world can you even justify this? At least have the decency to write in Cruz.

This RINO deserves to be hunted.

Are you going to call in the Second Amendment people?
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 ... 45  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies