Who will drop out after Iowa?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 03:10:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Who will drop out after Iowa?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: -skip
Donald Trump

Marco Rubio

Ted Cruz

Rand Paul

Ben Carson

Carly Fiorina

Jeb Bush

Mike Huckabee

John Kasich

Chris Christie

Rick Santorum

Jim Gilmore

Bernie Sanders

Hillary Clinton

Martin O'Malley

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 73

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: Who will drop out after Iowa?  (Read 3132 times)
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 30, 2016, 07:36:24 AM »

I think Martin O'Malley will serenade us with his beautiful sad music as he bids the race farewell then Jim Gilmore will remind us of how he was Governor of 9/11 and run out the building, Huckabee and Santorum will blame the gays and Muslims for their loss and endorse Trump, Fiorina will blame Clinton and foam at the mouth, Carson will fall asleep at the podium giving his concession speech.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2016, 12:15:15 PM »

Rick Santorum and Mike Huckabee are imminent, with Gilmore and Carson possible (Carson is doing badly in New Hampshire). Iowa also seems to be the only place where O'Malley has any momentum, so there's a decent chance there too. Voted for those five.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2016, 12:35:08 PM »

Huck and Santo are the two who are arguably relying most on Iowa, but the Frothster has shown he can stick around to bother us for a long time with little to no money, and Mikey could stick it out to SC just for kicks.

Randy Boy has previously said that he has to succeed in both Iowa and New Hampshire to win, so it's possible but a bit unlikely that he drops out. If Cruz's collapse continues or speeds up, he could place as low as third. If he severely underperforms, he might mercy-kill Cruz 2016, but (again) it's unlikely, and he'll probably stick around for a while. Carson also needs success in Iowa to win, but I don't know if he'll know when to quit.

There's another tier of candidates that have (largely) staked their success in New Hampshire, consisting of Bush, Kasich, Christie, Gilmore, Fiorina, and to a lesser extent Rubio. Of those, Bush, Christie, and Rubio are the only ones I could see sticking around until SC or possibly even later. Gilmore has already shown us that he can run a campaign [sic] while spending nothing, so he might stay in. These guys are not dropping out after Iowa, unless something really strange happens. For Fiorina, see Ben Carson.

Finally, there are the top-tier candidates. I've already gone through a lot of them: Rubio, Cruz, Trump, and to a lesser extent Carson. These are people that will probably stay in for a long time, through Super Tuesday and beyond. One of them will probably be the nominee.

But that's just my opinion.
Volrath50
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -3.35, S: -5.57

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2016, 12:40:21 PM »
« Edited: January 30, 2016, 12:41:59 PM by Volrath50 »

Santorum and Huckabee were Iowa or bust, so, barring a miracle or them being delusional, they should drop out after Iowa. Carson might (and he should), but his campaign seems more to be a direct mail scam that somehow accidentally became a presisdential campaign, so I would bet, say 65-35, that Carson stays in.

O'Malley might drop out if he gets, like 0% due to the viability threshold. OTOH, O'Malley hasn't really had a purpose for several months now, so who knows.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2016, 12:41:58 PM »

Just the fact that there are votes for Hillary and Bernie shows that we have far too many hacks in this board.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2016, 12:44:41 PM »

Just the fact that there are votes for Hillary and Bernie shows that we have far too many hacks in this board.

Says the guy who wasn't born when major world events were going on
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2016, 12:46:39 PM »

what

The fact that he acknowledges this in spite of that makes it more impressive.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2016, 12:49:27 PM »

Does that have anything to do with this subject?
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2016, 02:29:38 PM »

By the way guys, don't be fooled by immediate "I'm not dropping out!" speeches the night of the caucuses. Bachmann insisted she was still in, only to drop out the next day. Same for Huntsman after NH.
SillyAmerican
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2016, 02:35:53 PM »

Rick Santorum and Mike Huckabee are imminent, with Gilmore and Carson possible (Carson is doing badly in New Hampshire). Iowa also seems to be the only place where O'Malley has any momentum, so there's a decent chance there too. Voted for those five.

I agree with ElectionsGuy: those are the five that I think will drop out soon after Iowa. Santorum, Huckabee, Gilmore, Carson, and O'Malley.
Dorko Julio

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2016, 04:23:33 PM »

I agree with ElectionsGuy: those are the five that I think will drop out soon after Iowa. Santorum, Huckabee, Gilmore, Carson, and O'Malley.

Yes, I voted for those five people as well. I wanted to be bold and say someone else would drop out too, but I couldn't. The Establishment Gang are doing alright in NH, Fiorina polls better there too than in Iowa I think.
Penelope
Scifiguy
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2016, 04:25:21 PM »

Ben Carson, Mike Huckabee, and Rick Santorum. I guess Martin O'Malley and Jim Gilmore might drop out, too.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2016, 04:33:57 PM »

Carson, Huckabee, Santorum, potentially Fiorina.
Senator Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2016, 05:40:27 PM »

Carson should drop out of the race if he doesn't have a decent enough showing (top 3) in Iowa, and if he does he will go no farther than NH. Huckabee, Santorum, and Gilmore serve no purpose so they should be gone after Iowa. Fiorina will be hanging around until NH though.
Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2016, 06:00:33 PM »

Huckabee and Santorum seem like near-certainties, given that they have clearly staked everything on performing well there. Perhaps Fiorina; I'm not sure which state she considers her best, but if she is relying on Iowa then it would make sense for her to get out quickly. Carson is a possibility if he badly underperforms, otherwise I think he could be in through South Carolina.

I think O'Malley probably lasts until New Hampshire, but it is certainly possible he gives up before then.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2016, 06:02:39 PM »

Huckabee and Santorum

I think Carson waits until after South Carolina or Super Tuesday. More will drop out after New Hampshire.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2016, 06:12:31 PM »

Same goes for you. Unless you knew Alexander the Great?
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2016, 07:01:05 AM »

Huckabee and Santorum most likely.

Not Gilmore, because he's focused on New Hampshire.

Maybe Carson and Fiorina, but I'm guessing they'll stay in another state or two. I don't think either of them ever thought they could win or were even trying too hard at that.

Maybe O'Malley. But I doubt it. I mean, he already has about 0% chance to win, if he hasn't dropped out yet, why not take it to New Hampshire?
Stan
Rookie
Italy

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2016, 07:13:00 AM »

Huckabee and Santurum.
O'Malley and Gilmore in My opinion will leave after NH.
Carson and Fiorina will not leave before NH and they'll decide after their NH results, IMHO.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2016, 07:22:11 AM »

I don't believe any of them will drop out after Iowa.  New Hampshire is a primary; that's another story.  Why should they drop out when they are just a smidgen away from new life in New Hampshire, potentially?
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2016, 07:25:16 AM »

If Carson does as Selzer says he might, then it he might hang around at least until NH, maybe even SC.
pho
iheartpho
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -1.39

« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2016, 07:53:40 AM »

Carson, Huckabee, Santorum, potentially Fiorina.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2016, 08:08:33 AM »

To me, Carson doesn't seem rational enough to realize that it's time to pull the plug.  I could imagine him dropping out this week, but I could also imagine him staying in the race until June, well after he's run out of money.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2016, 08:10:18 AM »

To me, Carson doesn't seem rational enough to realize that it's time to pull the plug.  I could imagine him dropping out this week, but I could also imagine him staying in the race until June, well after he's run out of money.

Yeah, I tend to think he will hang around, until his intake of money slows to the point that he can't pay his bills.
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2016, 08:43:39 AM »

Huckabee and Santorum.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies