Hail, Columbia! (The Election of 1816 - FINAL ROUND)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 06:41:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Hail, Columbia! (The Election of 1816 - FINAL ROUND)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: For President of the Commonwealth of North America
Martin Van Buren of New York [Democratic]

John Quincy Adams of Massachusetts [Continental]

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 46

Author Topic: Hail, Columbia! (The Election of 1816 - FINAL ROUND)  (Read 603 times)
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 23, 2015, 04:04:15 PM »
« edited: December 23, 2015, 04:05:59 PM by Cranberry »

The Electoral College having failed to reach a majority in the first round, the election of 1816 is now going into the second round, between the top two finishers incumbent President and Democrat Martin Van Buren and his Continental opponent Senator John Quincy Adams. Platforms, views and issues can be found in the original thread.

3 days
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2015, 04:07:24 PM »

jqa
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2015, 07:08:11 PM »

Quincy
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2015, 07:19:30 PM »

JQA
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2015, 08:23:10 PM »

Van Buren.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2015, 10:04:17 PM »

I find it interesting how in such an extensively alternate timeline, we ended up with candidates who were presidents in real life anyway.
Bigby
Mod_Libertarian_GOPer
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: 3.74

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2015, 10:10:08 PM »

I find it interesting how in such an extensively alternate timeline, we ended up with candidates who were presidents in real life anyway.

Super early at that too, with VB being 20 years early and Quincy Adams being 8 years early.
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2015, 11:16:45 PM »

Voted MVB but I actually would like to see this stay a coincidence rather than become a trend in this TL.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2015, 08:30:22 AM »

One day left.

Voted MVB but I actually would like to see this stay a coincidence rather than become a trend in this TL.

It is not that we would not offer you different, new candidates - we have after all had Mexicans and even a Nova Scotia Supreme Court justice as Presidents. It just seems that whenever we offer RL Presidents as candidates, people often choose them as options as they know them. I always try to find rather unusual options for President, but some times there is just a RL-President that is just such an obvious option that I have to go with him. I will try to evade those in the future, however; and I can promise you that I will never include Jackson.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2015, 01:01:25 PM »

Election of 1816
Second Ballot
Martin Van Buren [Democratic-New York]—39 Electors
John Quincy Adams [Continental-Massachusetts]—23 Electors

An outcry went through the northeastern cities when the results of the second, secret ballot of the Electoral College, held two days after the first on the 17th of December 1816, was made public. "PRESIDENCY STOLEN FROM RIGHTFUL WINNER ADAMS BY DUBIOUS BACKROOM DEALS" was the headline of the Hartford Courant that day, and it perfectly summed up the mood of many in the nation. Van Buren had gained the support of the Mexican electors by promising Morelos the Vice Presidency, and had won over Crawford's supporters simply by not being John Quincy Adams - in the end, this was enough to beat the Massachusetts Senator.
The dissatisfaction with the result, and the system of electing the President,however was so big that some, especially within the Continental Party, voiced their opinion to change the system radically, claiming that among popular vote counts, Adams had beat Van Buren 60 to 40 percent - numbers such as that were circulating among Northeastern, mostly pro-Adams newspapers and were determined only through independent research - thus have to be taken with caution.

I know that you actually voted for JQA, but I wanted to go a bit into the upcoming issue of the EC being considerably undemocratic, so there you have Martin Van Buren Vol 2
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2015, 06:33:49 PM »

See, now this is how you do a "defy the voter's will" election. For one thing, you do it in a really early-on election, where such things were plausible (and in fact happened with JQA and Jackson in real life). For another, you specifically point out why you're doing what you're doing. And for another, you make the parties act realistically to something as corrupt as this.

Lets see what happens next...
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies