Should New York City ban Columbus Day?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 04:46:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Should New York City ban Columbus Day?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Poll
Question: Should New York City ban Columbus Day?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 90

Author Topic: Should New York City ban Columbus Day?  (Read 14761 times)
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: October 10, 2015, 04:24:03 PM »

Yes, of course.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #51 on: October 10, 2015, 04:29:42 PM »
« Edited: October 10, 2015, 04:31:56 PM by TheDeadFlagBlues »

Whatever white activists might say, the case against Columbus Day isn't aimed at the particular actions of Cristoforo Colombo. The case against Columbus Day is aimed at the fact that he's an unambiguous symbol of the conquest of the indigenous peoples of the Americas, many of whom are American citizens, who deserve a modicum of respect. Again, America is a "multi-nation" state, which is composed of non-indigenous people and various indigenous peoples. This holiday effectively celebrates the forcibly conquest of the later, which is pretty repulsive. Columbus Day simply can't be reconciled with American commitments to the Nez Pearce or the Shoshone or the Crow etc.

Columbus Day controversies may be symbolic but sometimes symbols matter and the attachment to this particular symbol represents the insidious ways that many Americans view the original cultures of this continent, who are either romanticized or treated as barbarians in need of civilizations. They're still alive.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #52 on: October 10, 2015, 04:32:38 PM »

Whatever white activists might say, the case against Columbus Day isn't aimed at the particular actions of Cristoforo Colombo. The case against Columbus Day is aimed at the fact that he's an unambiguous symbol of the conquest of the indigenous peoples of the Americas, many of whom are American citizens, who deserve a modicum of respect. Again, America is a "multi-nation" state, which is composed of non-indigenous people and various indigenous peoples. This holiday effectively celebrates the forcibly conquest of the later, which is pretty repulsive. Columbus Day simply can't be reconciled with American commitments to the Nez Pearce or the Shoshone or the Crow etc.

Columbus Day controversies may be symbolic but sometimes symbols matter and the attachment to this particular symbol represents the insidious ways that many Americans view the original cultures of this continent, who are either romanticized or treated as barbarians in need of civilizations. They're still alive.

Is Thanksgiving a problem then?
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #53 on: October 10, 2015, 04:36:17 PM »

The conquest of the NW was literally inevitable. Columbus did something that no one else did (discover another hemisphere)

... well, um...
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #54 on: October 10, 2015, 04:36:29 PM »

I think it's a problem but Thanksgiving is held to be too sacred to be removed. Columbus Day is pretty insignificant, which is why it should be removed and replaced with: a. Enrico Fermi Day b. Indigenous People's Day.

I think reservations should have the option to ignore Thanksgiving.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #55 on: October 10, 2015, 04:47:40 PM »

I don't think we should have it as a holiday, but ban it? Prevent demonstrations in support of it? No.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #56 on: October 10, 2015, 06:08:34 PM »

If you want to celebrate Italian American Heritage, why not just call it Italian American Heritage Day? Why do Italian Americans WANT to be associated with a pedophile murderer?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #57 on: October 10, 2015, 06:18:42 PM »

If you want to celebrate Italian American Heritage, why not just call it Italian American Heritage Day? Why do Italian Americans WANT to be associated with a pedophile murderer?

Columbus was a pedophile?
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #58 on: October 10, 2015, 07:34:15 PM »

I think it's a problem but Thanksgiving is held to be too sacred to be removed. Columbus Day is pretty insignificant, which is why it should be removed and replaced with: a. Enrico Fermi Day b. Indigenous People's Day.

I think reservations should have the option to ignore Thanksgiving.

What is the problem with Thanksgiving, though? It's not anti-Native American, or if it was, it isn't anymore.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #59 on: October 10, 2015, 07:34:48 PM »

Thanksgiving is basically just an excuse to have a big meal at this point. I don't quite understand why it's associated with Plymouth, considering that Lincoln started it.
Col. Roosevelt
« Reply #60 on: October 10, 2015, 09:00:27 PM »

Any holiday which doesn't uplift a POC and create a safe space for them should be outlawed.

Hopefully, eventually science can even narrow down whiteness by melanin count, and sterilize those below a certain melanin count Purple heart
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #61 on: October 10, 2015, 09:35:12 PM »

Columbus was a man who started the biggest genocide the history knows. The Black Lion awaits.

What is this "black lion"? Is it a terrorist group?
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #62 on: October 10, 2015, 10:22:02 PM »
« Edited: October 10, 2015, 11:47:22 PM by Famous Mortimer »

Any holiday which doesn't uplift a POC and create a safe space for them should be outlawed.

Hopefully, eventually science can even narrow down whiteness by melanin count, and sterilize those below a certain melanin count Purple heart

Look, I hate SWJs too but Columbus was a murdering, slave owning pedophile whose only accomplishment was getting lost and accidentally discovering an already inhabited Dominican Republic. There is no reason for him to have a holiday.
Col. Roosevelt
« Reply #63 on: October 10, 2015, 10:26:42 PM »

Look, I hate SWJs too but Columbus was a murdering, slave owning pedophile who's only accomplishment was getting lost and accidentally discovering an already inhabited Dominican Republic. There is no reason for him to have a holiday.

I honestly have no real horse in the race but, if something pisses off SJW's, I'll support it. I was raised with the rhyme "In 1492, Columbus sailed the ocean blue", and I'm fine with it remaining that way.
The Arizonan
United States

« Reply #64 on: October 10, 2015, 10:58:56 PM »

If Columbus Day gets banned or renamed, then what's next? Renaming the USS John C. Stennis (he was a segregationist)? Renaming the USS George Washington (he owned slaves)? Renaming Jacksonville, FL and Jackson, MS (Andrew Jackson owned slaves)?
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #65 on: October 10, 2015, 11:37:56 PM »

If anything, we should be encouraging Columbus Day.  It serves as a reminder of our nations founding.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #66 on: October 10, 2015, 11:40:54 PM »

If anything, we should be encouraging Columbus Day.  It serves as a reminder of our nations founding.

Uh Columbus not only had nothing to do with the founding of the United States (nor did he ever set foot in any modern day US territory), but he predated the founding of the US by a greater time than the Declaration of Independence predates the present day.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #67 on: October 10, 2015, 11:50:48 PM »

If anything, we should be encouraging Columbus Day.  It serves as a reminder of our nations founding.

Uh Columbus not only had nothing to do with the founding of the United States (nor did he ever set foot in any modern day US territory), but he predated the founding of the US by a greater time than the Declaration of Independence predates the present day.

It was founded long before the declaration of independence was signed
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #68 on: October 11, 2015, 07:09:27 AM »

People see Columbus Day more as a symbol of Italian heritage and exploration, than about the man himself. 

I think Enrico Fermi could replace Columbus and everyone would be happy with that.

^^^^^

Only racists and Italians are attached to Columbus Day. I can't say that I'm concerned about the racists but I think that Italian-Americans deserve some sort of celebration for their contributions to American society, Enrico Fermi seems like a good choice.
Why do Italian-Americans deserve a holiday?  Is there another group of _____-Americans that have a Federal holiday? (the answer is no if you were wondering...unless you think MLK jr day is one for African-Americans, which wouldn't be a crazy thing to think)  More Americans have German heritage than any other, what are the odds we get a German-American federal holiday? zero.  German culture in America was beaten to an inch of it's life during WWI, and then put out of it's memory during WWII.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #69 on: October 11, 2015, 07:24:52 AM »

That makes no sense at all and Columbus never even VISITED modern US territory.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #70 on: October 11, 2015, 07:29:51 AM »

Which, in turn, begs the question as to how 'Columbus Day' can possibly be considered offensive to anyone in the modern day United States given that he never (most likely) harmed a hair on the head of any ancestor of anybody alive in the United States today. Unless, of course, one regards the 'native' populations of the Americas as some kind of homogenous hive-mind, which is an... interesting idea I suppose...
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #71 on: October 11, 2015, 07:34:25 AM »

Well Pol Pot never harmed any Americans so I guess having a "Pol Pot Day" would be be perfectly fine in the US then.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #72 on: October 11, 2015, 07:40:58 AM »

Well Pol Pot never harmed any Americans so I guess having a "Pol Pot Day" would be be perfectly fine in the US then.

Pol Pot is largely irrelevant, in the grand scheme of things, to the history of the United States, whereas Columbus, by virtue of being the man who helped establish a permanent connection between Europe and the Americas (thus laying the foundation for future exploration and colonisation in the Caribbean and both North and South America), does have some relevance to the history of the United States. Given that the United States is, in many respects, a European country in the Americas, it is actually rather symbolic of this process, begun by Columbus.

Now, if Pol Pot had, say, been instrumental in helping America to win the Cold War, then yes he probably would deserve a 'Pol Pot Day' as you put it.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #73 on: October 11, 2015, 09:23:17 AM »

Which, in turn, begs the question as to how 'Columbus Day' can possibly be considered offensive to anyone in the modern day United States given that he never (most likely) harmed a hair on the head of any ancestor of anybody alive in the United States today. Unless, of course, one regards the 'native' populations of the Americas as some kind of homogenous hive-mind, which is an... interesting idea I suppose...

Ummm...you do realize that Puerto Rico exists right? Not to mention the fact that Dominicans are the largest ethnic group in NYC.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #74 on: October 11, 2015, 10:04:37 AM »

If I was Italian-American I'd be downright disgusted by how people celebrate Columbus Day and associate it with that.

Of course if I was Italian-American I'd be a very different one from most. I wouldn't be Catholic for one (even if raised that way I would have converted.)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies