Opinion of IndyTX
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 03:17:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Opinion of IndyTX
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Well?
FF

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 47

Author Topic: Opinion of IndyTX  (Read 2425 times)
Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.03, S: -8.87

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 12, 2015, 08:42:04 PM »

You can't be a liberal and a Muslim. There is no liberal tradition in Islam. You can be a pro-choice, pro-gay, pro-feminism Episcopalian or Buddhist or Reform Jew. If you hold those views and also consider yourself a Muslim, then you're being unfaithful to one or the other. I think there's plenty of ideological room for a liberal sect of Islam; but we're still waiting for someone to create it.

Roll Eyes
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2015, 08:44:49 PM »

FF.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2015, 08:52:09 PM »

HP is the correct choice
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2015, 08:52:36 PM »

FF over all.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2015, 08:58:17 PM »
« Edited: January 12, 2015, 10:08:33 PM by TDAS04 »

FF, though that quote was stupid.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2015, 08:59:59 PM »

This is a push poll.
moderatevoter
ModerateVAVoter

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2015, 09:21:02 PM »

Certainly don't agree with everything he posts, but overall a FF. His snark can be hilarious.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2015, 09:23:06 PM »

The post that inspired this poll (as was his "she deserved it" comment about woman who was shot by her toddler) are terrible, but he is a FF on the whole. I have a lot in common with him.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2015, 09:33:33 PM »

politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2015, 09:49:58 PM »

You can't be a liberal and a Muslim. There is no liberal tradition in Islam. You can be a pro-choice, pro-gay, pro-feminism Episcopalian or Buddhist or Reform Jew. If you hold those views and also consider yourself a Muslim, then you're being unfaithful to one or the other. I think there's plenty of ideological room for a liberal sect of Islam; but we're still waiting for someone to create it.

Roll Eyes

I think you can be a liberal Sufi, but apart from that it gets hard. Islam as interpreted by its main traditions has very specific guidelines for how to live your life that often conflicts with Western norms and way of life. So in relation to mainstream versions of both Sunni and Shia Islam it is basically correct. You can of course be a lax Muslim, but that is also what IndyTex describes by being "unfaithful" to the religion. The attempt to create a Euro-Islam compatible with Western norms is interesting and will hopefully succeed, but is still a rather marginal phenomenon in the grand scheme of things. While many Muslims are quite secular Islam has definitely proven to be harder to adapt to modern life than Christianity, Judaism and Buddhism.

IndyTex has his idiosyncracies and I do not like his view of women, but he is generally an excellent poster.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2015, 09:51:03 PM »

FF, but obviously that quote is horrible.
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2015, 09:56:00 PM »

FF, but obviously that quote is horrible.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2015, 10:04:06 PM »

Certainly don't agree with everything he posts, but overall a FF. His snark can be hilarious.
RR1997
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2015, 10:07:32 PM »

Massive FF

Great political views and funny. That quote was horrible though.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2015, 10:37:42 PM »
« Edited: January 12, 2015, 11:14:46 PM by traininthedistance »

(though obviously the quote in the OP is atrocious)
This user has not been convicted of 34 felonies
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2015, 10:44:27 PM »

Ridiculous.
Oak Hills
United States

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2015, 10:53:18 PM »

IndyTex has his idiosyncracies and I do not like his view of women, but he is generally an excellent poster.

What is his view of women?
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2015, 11:07:25 PM »

Where is the opening to be a liberal Christian? In a few dozen New England churches? Worldwide, the Christian experience is very similar to the Muslim one. Domination by a few very powerful men (in every conceivable way) for the benefit of a few very powerful men (in every conceivable way. So, in that sense, the post is really bad. But, he's not really wrong about Islam either.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2015, 11:12:11 PM »

Where is the opening to be a liberal Christian? In a few dozen New England churches? Worldwide, the Christian experience is very similar to the Muslim one. Domination by a few very powerful men (in every conceivable way) for the benefit of a few very powerful men (in every conceivable way. So, in that sense, the post is really bad. But, he's not really wrong about Islam either.

Uh, I don't live in New England...

Hell I'm willing to bet that even in Memphis there's at least one "Jesus was the proto-Tumblr SJW" church with a congregation of virtually all liberal white youngs.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2015, 11:15:06 PM »

Hell I'm willing to bet that even in Memphis there's at least one "Jesus was the proto-Tumblr SJW" church with a congregation of virtually all liberal white youngs.
1. I'm pretty sure there is no such thing here.
2. You have completely missed the point, while, in an odd way, vaguely confirming it.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2015, 11:17:10 PM »

Liberation theology? Unitarians in India? Black Protestantism?

Not to mention the five kajillion Muslim counter-examples.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2015, 11:20:18 PM »

2. You have completely missed the point, while, in an odd way, vaguely confirming it.

1. Seriously? Because Memphis is bigger than Minneapolis, and it's not like we have only a handful of those.
2. Not sure what you mean exactly.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2015, 11:22:22 PM »

1. Seriously? Because Memphis is bigger than Minneapolis, and it's not like we have only a handful of those.
2. Not sure what you mean exactly.

Considering America's religious diversity any sort of church can be found anywhere-you have ultra-liberal churches in suburban Atlanta and fundamentalist churches in San Francisco.

TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2015, 11:24:35 PM »
« Edited: January 12, 2015, 11:27:20 PM by TheDeadFlagBlues »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evangelical_Lutheran_Church_in_America

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Presbyterian_Church_(U.S.A.)

Two gigantic denominations that have liberal beliefs. The PC(USA) allows for Gay and women pastors, has divested from Israel, supports women's reproductive rights and has trended towards many "social justice" causes in recent years. By no means is liberal Protestantism (in terms of politics, not theology), a BRTD-esque "hipster Christianity" phenomenon.

Example: I heard Kshama Sawant speak at a Presbyterian Church in Portland.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2015, 11:29:05 PM »

FF until proven otherwise
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies