Opinion of Bill Maher
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 01:22:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of Bill Maher
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Opinion of Bill Maher
FF

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 53

Author Topic: Opinion of Bill Maher  (Read 1200 times)
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 03, 2014, 01:18:12 AM »

FF on politics, but HP on religion
Old Man Willow
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2014, 01:25:26 AM »

How is he an HP on religion? He can be disrespectful of others views, but I haven't heard him say anything absurd on the subject.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2014, 01:31:04 AM »

How is he an HP on religion? He can be disrespectful of others views, but I haven't heard him say anything absurd on the subject.

I deal with a lot of atheists on a daily basis (my demographic I suppose) and even the disrespectful ones are more respectful than he is. One could call me a hypocrite for not criticizing him for his disrespectful-ness on politics because I agree with him, but religion is different than politics in that my view has less of an impact on others' daily lives and is more of a private topic.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2014, 01:36:16 AM »

He's a FF but has some terrible views. I respect him as an intellectual though.

My opinion is the literal exact opposite of this.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2014, 01:40:03 AM »

One of the best.  Agree with him on almost everything, and I could only wish I was capable of being as much of an asshole towards religious people as he is. 
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2014, 01:42:20 AM »

One of the best.  Agree with him on almost everything, and I could only wish I was capable of being as much of an asshole towards religious people as he is. 

The fact that you think you're somehow not more than enough of an asshole already is revelatory.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2014, 01:47:03 AM »

The fact that you think you're somehow not more than enough of an asshole already is revelatory.

Because of some sh**t I throw out on a forum?  Naw... I should be much harder on you guys.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2014, 01:50:16 AM »

Because of some sh**t I throw out on a forum?  Naw... I should be much harder on you guys.

If your views on this are such that on their account you actively want to become even more unpleasant more or less for its own sake, I'd strongly suggest getting into meditation or something.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2014, 01:52:03 AM »

If your views on this are such that on their account you actively want to become even more unpleasant more or less for its own sake, I'd strongly suggest getting into meditation or something.

Meditation?  Lol why?
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2014, 01:54:15 AM »

Meditation?  Lol why?

Because your desire to push your insufferable prickishness beyond its already opulent bounds is almost by definition a symptom of serious spiritual malady and I assume you'd object to prayer.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2014, 01:58:25 AM »

Calm down, Nathan.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2014, 01:59:40 AM »
« Edited: June 03, 2014, 02:04:17 AM by HockeyDude »

One of the best.  Agree with him on almost everything, and I could only wish I was capable of being as much of an asshole towards religious people as he is.  

Because of some sh**t I throw out on a forum?  Naw... I should be much harder on you guys.

Meditation?  Lol why?

Because your desire to push your insufferable prickishness beyond its already opulent bounds is almost by definition a symptom of serious spiritual malady and I assume you'd object to prayer.

I don't believe in spiritual maladies...

And prickishness?  Cmon.  Most of the time I just throw out some stuff about wanting religion abolished (which there is some truth to) and then just self-parody by claiming it'll solve unemployment or something.   I've even admitted this to you.  Sometimes I wish I could go full Hitchens or full Maher and really go on a tear, but alas... I'm too much of a goofball.  

EDIT: But yea... Bill is my homeslice.
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2014, 02:04:56 AM »
« Edited: June 03, 2014, 02:09:54 AM by Emperor Scott »

Love the man's comedy, don't like anything else about him, really.  My mom and I can't help but like his show, though we both get annoyed when he goes on his religious rants, which is almost every episode.  So, he's divisive to say the least, but that's obviously never been a concern of his.

I do hate it when he talks about religion, though.  For what it's worth, he actually got me to kind of like Mike Huckabee during this interview.  I don't know if that says more about Maher than it does Huckabee, but I of course have never been swayed by secular arguments and I expect that I never will be.

One of the best.  Agree with him on almost everything, and I could only wish I was capable of being as much of an asshole towards religious people as he is.  

fight me irl bro

im waitn pusy

yeah

i bet u wont

com at me fagg
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2014, 02:08:29 AM »

Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2014, 02:11:01 AM »

But seriously, though.  Are there actually people here who envy others on how unpleasant they are to those with whom they disagree?
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2014, 02:13:45 AM »

I'd like him if he wasn't such a prick.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2014, 02:14:53 AM »

But seriously, though.  Are there actually people here who envy others on how unpleasant they are to those with whom they disagree?

"And I think religion should be treated with ridicule, and hatred, and contempt, and I claim that right"

-Christopher Hitchens
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2014, 02:18:17 AM »

Let's be honest. Is it worth being right about something if you can't be a funny prick about it? Look at House.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2014, 02:21:28 AM »

"And I think religion should be treated with ridicule, and hatred, and contempt, and I claim that right"

-Christopher Hitchens

Yes, that's very sage.  I think I'll stick to what Jesus says, though.  Thanks. Smiley

Let's be honest. Is it worth being right about something if you can't be a funny prick about it? Look at House.

Well, if "being right" is your only prerogative in life, then what the hey.
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2014, 02:24:10 AM »

Why would you wish that? I would hope you would like to be a more pleasant person instead of a dick.

No, it's really not.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2014, 02:24:27 AM »

I'm actually really calm right now as it is. I mean, yeah, this wasn't a conversation I either expected or wanted to have right now, but the crickets are singing outside, and I have the Kreutzer Sonata playing, and I have a book I'm very much looking forward to finishing later tonight. So, you know, I'm feeling pretty good about things. How about you?

Just as HockeyDude, as he pointed out, has admitted to me that he's not entirely serious about a lot of the posturing he does, I should probably clarify that it's mostly for my own amusement that I make a show of winding him up like this. I'm fully aware that it doesn't even succeed at winding him up. Do you really think I'd in seriousness suggest 'meditation for spiritual maladies' to somebody whose level of respect for every concept involved in that recommendation is so obviously nonexistent?
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2014, 06:07:25 AM »

Ugh HP.

I really don't get people who actually like his show.  I mean maybe I'm missing something here but it just seems like an elitist "libertarian" (lol) atheist asshole who uses his show to invite people who are both smarter than and more rational than him to defend his views and allow at least one person of the opposite view(s) on there as a symbolic "counter".
And besides his interview with Mark Pryor that MattVt showed me once, how the hell is he funny?
In other words, his entire career is one huge vanity project.

Larry O'Donnell is much better, IMO.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2014, 06:21:05 AM »

Major league asshole.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2014, 06:23:15 AM »

Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2014, 06:36:36 AM »

Irony is great, but it obviously shouldn't be an end in itself.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies