Survey Atlasia: April Presidential Approval Rating
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 09, 2024, 09:16:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Survey Atlasia: April Presidential Approval Rating
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: In your opinion, how has President AHDuke99 performed his job?
Strongly Approve

Somewhat Approve

Unsure/Don't Know/Don't Care

Somewhat Disapprove

Strongly Disapprove

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 46

Author Topic: Survey Atlasia: April Presidential Approval Rating  (Read 5720 times)
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2014, 09:16:01 PM »

I would love it if for four months Griffin pretended to be a conservative just to see if he could lead the right. I think it would be a hilarious endeavour that would offer some great perspective and maybe shut up some of his "suggestions" (since, you know, he knows exactly how we should be doing things).
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2014, 10:34:04 PM »

I would love it if for four months Griffin pretended to be a conservative just to see if he could lead the right. I think it would be a hilarious endeavour that would offer some great perspective and maybe shut up some of his "suggestions" (since, you know, he knows exactly how we should be doing things).

I mean, if you could arrange it...

It's not as if I haven't day-dreamed about doing such a thing.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2014, 11:14:06 PM »
« Edited: April 26, 2014, 11:15:43 PM by Napoleon »

I mean, if you could arrange it...

It's not as if I haven't day-dreamed about doing such a thing.

Yeah, its not like they haven't had plenty of opportunities to make a real power play, they've just taken the wrong path at every turn. The game would be more enjoyable if they started pushing their own policies instead of opposing Labor and nothing more. I guess they tried with health care but that blew up on them too.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2014, 11:38:36 PM »

Atlasia is suffering from a lack of a clear political divide between the major parties. There has been a potential center-right majority in the Senate and the Whte House for months, but yet most of the bills that have become law during that time aren't center right by any stretch of the imagination.

In the Atlasian context, being center right can sometimes mean supporting legislation that would make SYRIZA blush.  I think it has to do with the fact there is little perceived need in the game to really face costs and benefits and unintended consequences, so there's no pressure to go against the feel-good option.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2014, 12:34:45 AM »

An increase of 33% in views in just eighteen hours. Not bad considering it already had over 300. Tongue

I'll sift through tihs bs and see what is garbage or not later. Wink
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2014, 12:58:29 AM »

Atlasia is suffering from a lack of a clear political divide between the major parties. There has been a potential center-right majority in the Senate and the Whte House for months, but yet most of the bills that have become law during that time aren't center right by any stretch of the imagination.

In the Atlasian context, being center right can sometimes mean supporting legislation that would make SYRIZA blush.  I think it has to do with the fact there is little perceived need in the game to really face costs and benefits and unintended consequences, so there's no pressure to go against the feel-good option.

This has been a major hinderence for as long as I have been hear and as long as people just blow off the GM whenever they don't like what they do, then it is difficult to provide real consequecnes. I mean the GM did provide some economic consequences to Rimjob last year, but then ago, it becames a factor of attention spans and respecting the moderation team.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2014, 01:54:40 AM »
« Edited: April 27, 2014, 02:16:10 AM by Senator North Carolina Yankee »

I didn't mean that he literally was the only thing holding the game together, Yankee.

I think there's some merit in a combination of Napoleon and ZuWo's first comments: namely, that this "Era of Good Feelings" that Duke has brought may have played a role in the lack of activity, due to there being less fighting within the government or against the President's policies. Controversy and anger breed activity. Those breed competition. Is this not more or less the same argument that others use to justify "free markets"? The parties still have it out for each other, no doubt, but there hasn't been much of controversy originating from the federal level that truly grabs the attention of the country. I don't know how that translates to some of the inactivity we've seen at the regional level; perhaps the regions need the federal government more than they'd like to admit. Tongue

Just putting Duke in office wasn't going to change anything, no more then justp utting JCL on the ballot was going to enthuse and motivate the right to vote. If HappyWarrior, BrandonH, RowanBrandon and AndrewTX would have returned upon his election, that might have been different.

The populations are not isolated, they are one in the same, it therefore goes that if there is a generalized activity problem in Atlasia, all the aspects of the game would feel it sooner or later.

I'm not even sure why dissolution (or rather, the conditions that would ultimately lead to it) are being expressed as a worry. The biggest and most likely reason for there to be such circumstances once again will be a perpetually under-performing right - especially if it is splintered. Say what you will about my tactics and the amount of time I wasted in-fighting, but we now have a fairly united left. Advocating for multiple factions within your broader hemisphere of ideology is a politically-dumb decision, Yankee; I figure that you'll probably respond with something that articulates putting the game ahead of politics, but you are (as you were so kind to remind me) a Party Chair, and making sound political decisions should be your first and foremost responsibility outside of the Senate.

Dissolution would eliminate the party though, my number one priority has to be the survival of the party first and foremost. So ironically, it is entirely political, with a game implication when taken to the next level.  

The biggest problem with the Right, in my opinion, is that is lacks gonads most of the time and overreaches on ridiculously hilarious issues that reinforces its belief that it can't be bold. The same line of logic more or less was considered true for the far-left whenever I entered this game, but I said to hell with that and preceded to organize my faction and obliterate the opposition. Ultimately, the balance shifted in our favor. Had I not been a newbie and rather had been chained to conventional thought from years of experience in the game, I might have thought differently. I've always thought it cool that both Hagrid and I ended up shaping the game and our hemispheres in new and exciting ways, that we both came in at the same time and as relative newbies, rebuilt in large part the political dynamics of the game.

I think that's your biggest weakness, Yankee: you are too reliant upon past experiences and stigmatized associations to dream big. You have so much experience and knowledge that I believe it's become a hindrance for you. Throw everything you know about the Right out the window and do with your party what you will - you'll never convince me that the Right is somehow more fractious than the far-left, so no excuses. Cheesy

Lack of experience is also double edged sword. I joined when 50 voter general elections, one vote region elections and no organized political right was a mere months prior, not years. Yet it gets fawned over as some kind of golden era by several on the left and if the right were to no longer exist, it would return. That is the root source of the caution, Adam, and unless you understand the mindset of the right, particularly those who are discouraged to the point of waiting for that last straw just to give them an excuse to leave, you will never be in a position of knowing what a right of center chairman has to contend with. Why don't you ask your boyfriend Hagrid, he seems to be nearing that stage. Usually it involves being sick of dealing with someone. bgwah, you, Nappy, Wolf, Xahar, Hamilton, etc etc etc. This has been the one consistent factor that has undermined my efforts going back to 2009.  

I wanted an agenda, I didn't expect to lose a relative right in the middle of bringing about its creation. Also few were shared my vision or creativity. It seem to become more about making bland statements with those ugly ass avatar faces then any kind of collaboritvie effort and once I lost my soon to be stepfather, I lost the time and motivation to substitute for the deficincies or push people in direction towards bilateral communication with one another. I took a bold step and was determined to see JCL elected to the Senate as the successor to Tmth in the second Federalist seat, but for a variety of reasons, JCL left numerous votes on the table and I missed a chance to get four voters active and engaged instead of just one back in mid March, because as I said previously, March was hell.

You seem to think that simply because the results did not materialize, that I did not try, which is the only way that such an arguement of me being trapped by my experience and past would be valid. I recall posts along the lines of "The Federalists Creating Policy, We Should Have Never Let Yankee be Chair". That effort just doesnt' magically disappear, like you seem to think it did. And my history is defined by rejecting the standard assumptions, otherwise I could have never saved the RPP. Tongue

You know, you have consistently reminded me of the same generational hostility exhibited in that Snowstalker thread on education. Your newness may have given you a slight marginally higher level of flexibiltiy, but that primarily stems from the fact that you have no concept of an Atlasia other then 2012 and 2013. You never saw 2009, and you got really lucky and will never be able to conceptualize how lucky you were that Cottonfield didn't destroy you like a similar action destroyed Hamilton's credibility. You never saw 2008, and thus have no concept of an Altasia without a right wing. I have no problem taking calculated risks, but there is nothing bad about knowing the full range of consequences. Tongue

Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2014, 02:45:51 AM »

Should my mention be considered a badge of honor? Tongue
I try to keep things interesting.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2014, 02:56:07 AM »

Should my mention be considered a badge of honor? Tongue
I try to keep things interesting.

If you didn't enjoy annoying the f out of people you wouldn't have been hear as long operating as you do. Tongue

So if the badge fits...
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2014, 03:19:48 AM »

Just putting Duke in office wasn't going to change anything, no more then justp utting JCL on the ballot was going to enthuse and motivate the right to vote. If HappyWarrior, BrandonH, RowanBrandon and AndrewTX would have returned upon his election, that might have been different.

The populations are not isolated, they are one in the same, it therefore goes that if there is a generalized activity problem in Atlasia, all the aspects of the game would feel it sooner or later.

But a large chunk of your base (albeit less than ours) doesn't even remember those people. I can't accept that a few previously institutional figures are the only ones who can provide a renaissance to the Atlasian Right, just as there were plenty of folks before me and will come after me who can do the same on the opposing side. This complements your reference below to people like me who have cycled in throughout your tenure, unless of course you're willing to argue that the Right is inherently incapable of producing new talent?

Dissolution would eliminate the party though, my number one priority has to be the survival of the party first and foremost. So ironically, it is entirely political, with a game implication when taken to the next level.

So: sabotaging your political fortunes by keeping the Right segmented to an extent - but not too much - because the Right united cannot win but a divided Right keeps a perpetual narrative in place that manages to avoid dissolution and the ultimate fulfillment of a pointless struggle that you are doomed to always suffer? Jesus Freaking Christ, no wonder...

Lack of experience is also double edged sword. I joined when 50 voter general elections, one vote region elections and no organized political right was a mere months prior, not years. Yet it gets fawned over as some kind of golden era by several on the left and if the right were to no longer exist, it would return. That is the root source of the caution, Adam, and unless you understand the mindset of the right, particularly those who are discouraged to the point of waiting for that last straw just to give them an excuse to leave, you will never be in a position of knowing what a right of center chairman has to contend with. Why don't you ask your boyfriend Hagrid, he seems to be nearing that stage. Usually it involves being sick of dealing with someone. bgwah, you, Nappy, Wolf, Xahar, Hamilton, etc etc etc. This has been the one consistent factor that has undermined my efforts going back to 2009.  

I wanted an agenda, I didn't expect to lose a relative right in the middle of bringing about its creation. Also few were shared my vision or creativity. It seem to become more about making bland statements with those ugly ass avatar faces then any kind of collaboritvie effort and once I lost my soon to be stepfather, I lost the time and motivation to substitute for the deficincies or push people in direction towards bilateral communication with one another. I took a bold step and was determined to see JCL elected to the Senate as the successor to Tmth in the second Federalist seat, but for a variety of reasons, JCL left numerous votes on the table and I missed a chance to get four voters active and engaged instead of just one back in mid March, because as I said previously, March was hell.

You seem to think that simply because the results did not materialize, that I did not try, which is the only way that such an arguement of me being trapped by my experience and past would be valid. I recall posts along the lines of "The Federalists Creating Policy, We Should Have Never Let Yankee be Chair". That effort just doesnt' magically disappear, like you seem to think it did. And my history is defined by rejecting the standard assumptions, otherwise I could have never saved the RPP. Tongue

You know, you have consistently reminded me of the same generational hostility exhibited in that Snowstalker thread on education. Your newness may have given you a slight marginally higher level of flexibiltiy, but that primarily stems from the fact that you have no concept of an Atlasia other then 2012 and 2013. You never saw 2009, and you got really lucky and will never be able to conceptualize how lucky you were that Cottonfield didn't destroy you like a similar action destroyed Hamilton's credibility. You never saw 2008, and thus have no concept of an Altasia without a right wing. I have no problem taking calculated risks, but there is nothing bad about knowing the full range of consequences. Tongue

I never necessarily accused you all of not trying. I think it's a deep-seated issue, but all I can say is "do better", "try harder", etc.

I have no regrets about not caring much for tradition or past experience, and it's not hindered me in the ways in which I always wished to pursue agendas in the game. It was rather easy to understand that making true peace across the left and moderating could have produced a climate that would always merit dissolution, but that just never seemed fun to me. I guess you could say that my actions in some way might have prolonged a future dissolution, too, if only because I've helped produce so many swing voters to whom you can appeal. Tongue

As far as OpCot goes, I never feared being black-listed in the game over it, because I was in the process of building a national coalition of ardent leftists that I then (and to this day) ask very little from, efficiently inform them of elections, provide them with opportunities to further their political careers and try to provide other "venues" through which camaraderie can be formed and policy can be crafted. Since you mentioned him, I've always found the similarities as described to me between Hamilton and I to be amusing. I suppose the main difference was that I didn't fck it all up. That and being relatively old helped not let the game get to me as much as it would have if I'd been playing in 2007 or so.

I don't know what I'm supposed to say here: I'm essentially giving you guys a de-facto benefit of the doubt when I question your M.O., because at least I'm saying "you guys are capable, just screwing up" instead of "you guys are incapable". Just like above, the narrative I pick up on from you guys on this broader matter is just so depressing. Get your younger ones involved, and if you don't have enough, blow up inboxes until you do. If that doesn't work, then maybe do it some more.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2014, 03:57:15 AM »

Funny thing you should mention blowing up inboxes.

If there was ever a place where my past would make me cautious, it is in the form of PMing people. I recruited Hamilton and got burned badly by JJ when I asked him to delay leaving the game until after the Feb 2011 elections.

However, the facts just don't match up with your narrative of me being wrapped up in fear of the past. Tongue I have contacted over half a dozen people about joining and I contacted virtually every member of the party and many more than once in the lead up to and during April elections.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2014, 07:39:47 PM »
« Edited: April 27, 2014, 07:41:43 PM by Fmr. President & Senator Polnut »

It is important to note, as AG brings up, the 'corporate knowledge' of Atlasia is lucky if it lasts a year. I think in some ways, Yankee and I and those who have been around too long, look at Atlasia as an evolutionary process... when in reality, the degree of change, both in policy and personalities, means Atlasia really resets every 12-18 months.

But that length of time which might be a problem on one side, is a benefit on the other. We've seen the ideological evolution in Atlasia, from the centre being the dominant political force to the centre-left and now the outright left. It puts the natural centre of Atlasia much further to the left than it ever has been. Now, that's not the fault of the left, they've been building and waiting for a long time. They've capitalised on a shift in membership and great leadership...

But a big reason for the success of the left has been due to the collapse of the centrist elements of Atlasian politics (largely because that centre-ground doesn't really exist any more) - I personally don't like one-party domination, even if I agree with them. What will actually bring people back in, is genuine contests both in terms of elections and policy. Now, I'm not naive to the reality of how little policy actually matters, but the debates about those big issues does have a tangible effect on activity. I'm talking about debates where compromise and moderation is CONSIDERED and not instantly dismissed as 'moderate heroism'.

I've voted for Duke twice and I don't regret it, but one of the side-effects of this time is a lack of debate on issues the whole country cares about. There's a long-standing debate going on in the Senate about labor standards... that's not a small issue. But I would personally like to see more public leadership and clear stances from the president, for no other reason than to spur on debate.

Fundamentally, the right just needs to wait for the membership and the leadership.

... yay for rambling. Please PM me for a translation into people-speak.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2014, 08:25:20 PM »

I think that in general, the game itself lacks a "next generation" of folks to take the reigns and move it forward. No one person can drive activity and discussion. Yes, I could do something crazy and create a controversy, but that isn't my style, it never has been.

When I look at the game now, especially the Atlasian right, I see many of the same faces we saw years and years ago. Big names like Zuwo, Hagrid, Tmth, clarences have all quit or have had real life get in the way of things. No one has stepped in to replace them, and thus the right has no real direction or voice. Yankee is literally running the party alone. I understand real life getting in the way. When my bar studies begin, my time here will be hit and miss. After I leave office, I may be out of the game for sometime. The only person I have seen on the right to show any sign of wanting to be a leader is Riley Keyton. The Federalists as a party of 40 members got 1 seat in the latest senate election. That's insane.

But there is no way to fix this problem from what a President can do. I do blame myself for some of the activity issues, but no one man can drive activity, no one person can keep the game going. It must be a group effort. My administration pushed regional reduction early in my first term only to see it fail, and that generated a lot of discussion, but once that ended, many of the big regionalists left the game anyway.

At some point, a new generation of leaders must emerge for the game to remain alive. I think back on the names we had before dissolution: bgwah, yankee, brandonh, meeker, dwtl, myself, tmth, marokai, polnut, oakvale, BK, spc, andrewtx, rowanbrandon, HW, the list goes on. No one has taken their places, besides some in the labor like Adam, TNF, etc. Until that happens, we will keep seeing a decline. No president can fix it alone. If they could, I'd have done it weeks ago. Maybe I'll take up a controversial position or something...
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2014, 08:41:59 PM »

The right has potential future leaders... just not in the Federalist Party. Deus consistently pushes for right-ward ideas in the Northeast Assembly which, controversial or not, are significant in terms of Atlasia. Dallas has returned to the game and (with additional work of Sirnick, obviously) has made the Northeast one of the more active regional governments. I feel like I'm being ignored here, but I guess I understand my time as a contender is past in Atlasia.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2014, 08:49:24 PM »

I don't want to suggest the president is responsible, or can fix the issue himself. No president can pull the answers out of a hat. I know that too well.

I do agree that many of the people of the past who should have left by now (myself included) are still here, which doesn't create the cycle that keeps this place fresh. But Atlasia still recycles, but it doesn't quite come out right. The same characters seem to get re-cast in different roles and sometimes with different personalities (you know who you are).

But I do wonder what happens if the old-fogeys leave... will the place turn even more tribal.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2014, 08:58:04 PM »

I fear if all of us left, we'd just stagnate. I mean, there are a ton of opportunities on the right for someone to step up and no one has. Only Yankee stepped up to chair the Feds when tmth left, and he was chair of the RPP before dissolution. No one else wanted it. No one helped him at all in the last Senate elections. Not even the Federalists candidates campaigned or did any kind of GOTV at all.

The right also tends to be their own worst enemy. Vote poaching between the D-Rs and Feds, throwing away elections they had won (see special election between Alfred, Simfan and Deus, where it was clear Simfan could win, yet the right attacked each other and allowed Alfred to win). At some points, the right wing is the Labor's biggest ally. Tongue
Sec. of State Superique
Superique
Brazil

« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2014, 09:28:34 PM »

I have been doing my job and being as active as possible but it seems to me that people have lost their interest in the Game. The Israel-Palestine issue is beloved by Atlasian Left, i gave my heart to build a logical and consistent peace proccess and, yet, we have not seen any movement from anyone in Atlasia rather than a Congratulations coming from Adam, another from President Duke and a PM from Senator Lumine! A Historical Deal was signed and the Labor Party and many other individuals that have the creation of Palestine as their sole and pet Foreign Policy issue haven't given a word. I'm not telling anyone to love what I'm writting and on what I'm working but when I create a 7 pages Word Document about the whole Peace Agreement, I was considering that more people would like to discuss it, give their own opinion and show what they thought about it... We are in a terrible activity crisis and I hope that we can be revived one day!
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2014, 09:39:21 PM »

Well, I think this game is fun already, and the Federalists get more flak than they deserve. But, it would probably be a good idea for them to write a platform with specific policy goals. The purpose of winning elections is to implement policy goals. If you don't have goals that your party can generally agree on, winning elections is kind of pointless.

Also, I think the Federalist Senators should introduce more bills. I understand it's hard to keep up with TNF, but they could probably accomplish a lot more if they put in the effort.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2014, 09:41:59 PM »

I have been doing my job and being as active as possible but it seems to me that people have lost their interest in the Game. The Israel-Palestine issue is beloved by Atlasian Left, i gave my heart to build a logical and consistent peace proccess and, yet, we have not seen any movement from anyone in Atlasia rather than a Congratulations coming from Adam, another from President Duke and a PM from Senator Lumine! A Historical Deal was signed and the Labor Party and many other individuals that have the creation of Palestine as their sole and pet Foreign Policy issue haven't given a word. I'm not telling anyone to love what I'm writting and on what I'm working but when I create a 7 pages Word Document about the whole Peace Agreement, I was considering that more people would like to discuss it, give their own opinion and show what they thought about it... We are in a terrible activity crisis and I hope that we can be revived one day!

Superique, people reading and paying attention to the gm/event threads has long been a problem.  One piece of advice I can give:  make your posts shorter, and people will be more likely to read them.  It's no guarantee, but it will help.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2014, 09:56:33 PM »

This thing is up 100% in viewership since Saturday morning. I better see some record participation going with all this yapping about. Tongue
Sec. of State Superique
Superique
Brazil

« Reply #45 on: April 27, 2014, 10:31:16 PM »

Superique, people reading and paying attention to the gm/event threads has long been a problem.  One piece of advice I can give:  make your posts shorter, and people will be more likely to read them.  It's no guarantee, but it will help.

My posts tend to be shorter but this time was necessary to be much longer. We ought to understand exactly what is happening. It's a significant divergence from Real Life Situation! Anyway, I will try to post shorter things but let there be no doubt that I don't like doing this...
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: April 27, 2014, 11:30:23 PM »

Lots of good points made here today, and as much as I'd like to respond to all of them, I'm just too lazy right now. Tongue

My posts tend to be shorter but this time was necessary to be much longer. We ought to understand exactly what is happening. It's a significant divergence from Real Life Situation! Anyway, I will try to post shorter things but let there be no doubt that I don't like doing this...

Shua makes a good point. To be honest, I really wish I had been able to keep a better spirit about the GM gig when I returned, but the combination of people not paying attention to my details and the refuting of stories just did it in for me. It's sad, but people in this game don't really deserve complex story-lines or detailed events, because they don't read them. Sad
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: April 28, 2014, 12:26:17 AM »

If there's something you feel deserves the detail, I'd suggest introducing it with a short summary, perhaps with bullet points, along with it.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #48 on: April 28, 2014, 01:44:27 AM »
« Edited: April 28, 2014, 02:02:04 AM by Senator North Carolina Yankee »

It is important to note, as AG brings up, the 'corporate knowledge' of Atlasia is lucky if it lasts a year. I think in some ways, Yankee and I and those who have been around too long, look at Atlasia as an evolutionary process... when in reality, the degree of change, both in policy and personalities, means Atlasia really resets every 12-18 months.

Then how come I caught the "reset" in Atlasia resulting from the Rimjob thing and Hagrid didn't?

Edit: And ironically Rimjob, was the product of a group of people that took leadership from several people who have been here longer then I have in association with a bunch relatively new far lefties. Yet does anyone doubt it marked such a reset?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #49 on: April 28, 2014, 01:57:50 AM »

I don't want to suggest the president is responsible, or can fix the issue himself. No president can pull the answers out of a hat. I know that too well.

I do agree that many of the people of the past who should have left by now (myself included) are still here, which doesn't create the cycle that keeps this place fresh. But Atlasia still recycles, but it doesn't quite come out right. The same characters seem to get re-cast in different roles and sometimes with different personalities (you know who you are).

But I do wonder what happens if the old-fogeys leave... will the place turn even more tribal.

The first paragraph and the second paragraph are countradictory. If one man cannot do it all, it implies by necessity that there are numerous rolls to fill. Large numbers of those people from the 2012 -2013 era have cycled out, but few have cycled in to replace them. The notion that thep resence of ever shrinking percentage of olds is hindering recycling doesn't comport with the fact that so many have left and still were not "replaced" for lack of a less harsh term.

Worse still, I find the complete lack of perspective that can be provided by those people and seem to not have much value placed on it, is an essential part that steer Atlasia clear of a 2008. Bold action is necessary to drive the game, but bold actions can likewise breed discouragement and lead to apathy and abandonment by large numbers who are then in turn, if history is any kind, not replaced at a high enough rate. You thus have an ever downard spiral and then yes, the end result is rather tribal.

The notion that I am lacking in creativity, boldness or aggressive persistence by virtue of my long presence, just flies in the face of facts. It also ignores bgwah's sheer audacity as late as a full seven years after he joined.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies