Balance of Power (Sign Up/Rules/Commentary Thread)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 13, 2024, 01:07:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  Balance of Power (Sign Up/Rules/Commentary Thread)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19
Author Topic: Balance of Power (Sign Up/Rules/Commentary Thread)  (Read 30992 times)
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #300 on: May 30, 2014, 05:56:05 PM »

I am very grateful for the Chancellor's comments and even more grateful for the positive relationship we have developed together between our two nations.... let it only continue!
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #301 on: May 30, 2014, 10:24:44 PM »

Warning! Tonight is election night, and I will release the elections we have (Poland, Italy and the United States) one by one, starting with Dockery v. Hay!
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #302 on: May 31, 2014, 02:49:30 AM »

Woo....hoo!!!!!
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #303 on: May 31, 2014, 07:44:45 AM »
« Edited: May 31, 2014, 07:51:32 AM by True Federalist »

While this party has run a good race, better than anyone might have imagined a year ago, given the reported results I have sent Secretary Hay a telegram congratulating him.  At least we can take some solace in the fact that any treaties he seeks to fetter our republic with will require bipartisan support in the Senate to get the necessary two-thirds support to pass there.  Given that one of the alliances Secretary Hay concluded is to a caliph who considers declarations of war to be a joking matter, it is good that President Hay won't have an entirely free hand in making more such alliances.  Domestically, there might be cause for concern since the Republicans have majorities in both houses of Congress, but since President-elect Hay never campaigned on any domestic issues, there appears to be little to be worried about other than missed opportunities rather than any serious harm to be done to our republic. I pray that if my impressions of what a Hay administration will be prove wrong, it will be in a positive manner.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #304 on: May 31, 2014, 07:50:18 AM »

While this party has run a good race, better than anyone might have imagined a year ago, given the reported results I have sent Secretary Hay a telegram congratulating him.  At least we can take some solace in the fact that any treaties he seeks to fetter our republic with will require bipartisan support in the Senate.  Given that one of the alliances Secretary Hay concluded is to a caliph who considers declarations of war to be a joking matter, it is good that President Hay won't have an entirely free hand in making more such alliances.

Hey, that was OOC Tongue
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #305 on: May 31, 2014, 07:55:08 AM »

While this party has run a good race, better than anyone might have imagined a year ago, given the reported results I have sent Secretary Hay a telegram congratulating him.  At least we can take some solace in the fact that any treaties he seeks to fetter our republic with will require bipartisan support in the Senate.  Given that one of the alliances Secretary Hay concluded is to a caliph who considers declarations of war to be a joking matter, it is good that President Hay won't have an entirely free hand in making more such alliances.

Hey, that was OOC Tongue

We have a phonograph record of someone who sounds like you making such comments.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #306 on: May 31, 2014, 07:58:52 AM »

Hey, that was OOC Tongue

We have a phonograph record of someone who sounds like you making such comments.

I was paying for this phonograph!
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #307 on: June 01, 2014, 03:12:38 PM »

One can't help but think that the Austro-German claims of fighting to liberate non-Russians from Tzarist misrule would be strengthened if the Habsburgs and Hohenzollerns relinquished at least some of the Polish people and land that they seized during the partitions of Poland to the new Polish kingdom.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #308 on: June 01, 2014, 03:15:27 PM »

One can't help but think that the Austro-German claims of fighting to liberate non-Russians from Tzarist misrule would be strengthened if the Habsburgs and Hohenzollerns relinquished at least some of the Polish people and land that they seized during the partitions of Poland to the new Polish kingdom.

I think it was already made. At least it was my intention, and I think  that Lumine did that with the polish territories in the German Empire.

Maybe Lumine could confirm that?

Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #309 on: June 01, 2014, 03:36:41 PM »

Poland is a kingdom within the German Empire, I thought?
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #310 on: June 01, 2014, 03:37:59 PM »

Poland is a kingdom within the German Empire, I thought?

Yes, it is only autonomous and not independent, but I wanted to put in the map for mere practical purposes.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #311 on: June 02, 2014, 03:52:41 AM »

So it appears that the Bulgarians are to have a ten-year old boy king, and one of his younger sisters. the older of which is but six, is to be kept hostage in Constantinople. Even the prophet Mohammed did not tear a six year old girl from her home despite having married her, waiting until she was nine to consummate the marriage to his child bride.  Yet the Caliph dares to do so with only vague promises of respecting her safety, dignity and welfare.  One wonders if he plans on slaking his own Turkish lusts on her in a few more years or perhaps he intends to gift the girl to one of his sons, of course only after having made her a child bride as well so as to respect her "dignity".
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #312 on: June 02, 2014, 04:49:49 AM »

Well, we must say the gentleman has a really dirty mind.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #313 on: June 02, 2014, 09:16:13 AM »

the gentleman's vulgar comments towards our Ottoman allies shows what kind of diplomat he would be.....thankfully the American people saw the danger and elected John Hay
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #314 on: June 02, 2014, 09:43:58 AM »
« Edited: June 02, 2014, 09:50:29 AM by True Federalist »

I happen to think that being an ally to a country that takes little girls as hostages is hardly a great triumph of diplomacy.  I sincerely hope the Senate rejects the proposed Triple Entente that President Hay has signed and remind him that in any event he will need the votes of Democratic Senators to ratify it.  We have nothing to gain but further dishonor by associating with Ottoman barbarism.  If President Hay thinks having little girls being sent off to Constantinople is of no concern, I suggest he should pick one of his granddaughters to go live there, separated from the rest of her family.

(OOC: By the way, I noticed that John Hay's youngest son was named Clarence.  Only found details on the kids of one of John Hay's kids, but Joan Whitney (the future founder of the New York Mets) is not quite two in late 1904, so I didn't name her specifically as the suggested hostage to fortune, but I think it safe to presume she has cousins on her mother's side of the family that would be of a suitable age.)
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #315 on: June 02, 2014, 09:52:35 AM »

OOC-can you please point out where this little girl situation comes from......I do not know what you are referencing
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #316 on: June 02, 2014, 09:54:49 AM »

Regardless---any Senator foolish enough to oppose our alliance with the Ottomans needs to resign
In this century- there has no been an alliance so mutually beneficial in the world. Our alliance has strengthened us. I do not know about this situation he is referencing, but personal attacks against my friend the Sultan will not be taken lightly. I will not determine foreign policy by the internal policies of other nations, but by how they treat us- and we have had nob etter friend then the Ottomans
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #317 on: June 02, 2014, 10:09:01 AM »

OOC-can you please point out where this little girl situation comes from......I do not know what you are referencing

Treaty of Constantinople

x Abdul Hamid II

Princess Eudoxia is only six years old in late 1904 and her sister Princess Nadezhda is only five.  Also the new Tzar Boris is only ten years old and thus will need to have a regency council, tho the composition of that council is not specified by the Treaty of Constantinople.  At least we need not be worried about who Tzar Boris' mother will choose to live with.  She died in 1899, so she has no need to decide between husband, son, or daughter as they go their separate ways.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #318 on: June 02, 2014, 10:10:49 AM »

That treaty was also signed by the Tsar....so it is not as if it is some kidnapping. Again- I reiterate that we will not determine our allies by how they deal with any one but us and the Ottomans have proven to be our genuine friends time and time again
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #319 on: June 02, 2014, 10:12:06 AM »

Princess Eudoxia is only six years old in late 1904 and her sister Princess Nadezhda is only five. 

And yet the honorable gentlemen has already talked some weird, dirty stuff. No doubt a projection of his own fantasies.

That is a Bulgarian internal matter.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #320 on: June 02, 2014, 10:23:38 AM »

Regardless---any Senator foolish enough to oppose our alliance with the Ottomans needs to resign
In this century- there has no been an alliance so mutually beneficial in the world.

Apparently President Hay forgets that it is the Senate of the United States and not the Senate of the so-called Republican party.  In a republic, the head of state is not sovereign, the people are.  And if the people disapprove of those who disapprove of the taking of child hostages, they can vote in those like President Hay who care not what others do, so long as they don't do it to us.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #321 on: June 02, 2014, 10:29:03 AM »

In this century- there has no been an alliance so mutually beneficial in the world.

Apparently President Hay forgets that it is the Senate of the United States and not the Senate of the so-called Republican party.  In a republic, the head of state is not sovereign, the people are.  And if the people disapprove of those who disapprove of the taking of child hostages, they can vote in those like President Hay who care not what others do, so long as they don't do it to us.

I was elected- and my party expanded our majorities in both houses of Congress

The people.....have SPOKEN!
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #322 on: June 02, 2014, 11:07:49 AM »

Those same people denied you the two-thirds majority in the Senate needed to conduct a unilateral foreign policy.  Furthermore, I doubt that the people spoke in favor of being further entangled with those who take child hostages, since that issue did not arise during the campaign just concluded.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #323 on: June 02, 2014, 12:09:48 PM »

Those same people denied you the two-thirds majority in the Senate needed to conduct a unilateral foreign policy.  Furthermore, I doubt that the people spoke in favor of being further entangled with those who take child hostages, since that issue did not arise during the campaign just concluded.
Again- that treaty was signed by the "child hostage"'s father- the Tsar
If he signed such a treaty, who are we to make a fuss?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #324 on: June 02, 2014, 12:33:13 PM »

The honorable Senator/Congressman/Governor/Whatever-his-job-description-is seems not to grasp our concept of hospitality. Once you have guaranteed someone's safety and welfare under your roof, this person is untouchable, period. We have no intention of hosting the Princess any longer than it takes to implement the peace treaty. If anything, such a trip allows her to see world other than Bulgaria and enjoy better condition than in her homeland, that had just been through the war.

As of all that sick, twisted things of sexual nature the honorable gentleman was talking about, I'm only troubled about his mental health.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies