2004 Presidential Election and Beyond: The Giuliani Years (GAME THREAD)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 05:32:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  2004 Presidential Election and Beyond: The Giuliani Years (GAME THREAD)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 ... 66
Author Topic: 2004 Presidential Election and Beyond: The Giuliani Years (GAME THREAD)  (Read 155715 times)
MadmanMotley
Bmotley
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.29, S: -5.91

P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #625 on: May 20, 2014, 09:28:31 PM »
« edited: May 21, 2014, 10:14:49 PM by MadmanMotley »

Gary Johnson New Endorsers:

Governor Bill Richardson (D-NM)

I am here to announce my support for my predecessor, Gary Johnson, his leadership and bipartisanship has proven him an effective leader for New Mexico, and will revitalize this country! Let us unite and go forth, Democrat, Republican, or Independent and work towards electing Gary Johnson to the White House!
(Feb. 18-24 Barnstorming and GOTV in Idaho)

Senator Phil Gramm (R-TX)

We Republicans have a divided field in our race for president, and there is only one candidate running whom I can throw my support behind, that is Governor Gary Johnson, he has the experience, conviction, and electability that the Republican party needs right now.
(Feb. 18-24 Barnstorming and GOTV in Texas)

Congressman Don Young (R-AK)

There is only one candidate who is right for the Republican party, and right to be President. That is Governor Gary Johnson, his experience and capability as governor is what we need right now. He is no doubt the true republican, and ready to be president.
(Feb. 18-24 Barnstorming and GOTV in Alaska)

Senator Dean Barkley (R/I-MN)

It's our time to shine Minnesota! We are pros at shaking up the political system, let's do it again! No more Washington insiders! Let's elect a man with an ability to govern, without sacrificing his principles! A candidate who offers a real difference to the democratic candidate this November! Come join me in supporting Gary Johnson in the primary, and in November!
(Feb 18-24 Barnstorming and GOTV in Minnesota)
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #626 on: May 20, 2014, 09:56:35 PM »

OOC: I'm pretty sure Bill Richardson endorsing Gary Johnson, who's basically a Libertarian is just a bit ridiculous...
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #627 on: May 20, 2014, 09:57:25 PM »

OOC: I'm pretty sure Bill Richardson endorsing Gary Johnson, who's basically a Libertarian is just a bit ridiculous...

MadmanMotley
Bmotley
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.29, S: -5.91

P
« Reply #628 on: May 20, 2014, 09:58:29 PM »

Beat me to it.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #629 on: May 20, 2014, 10:24:44 PM »

Schedule for Hillary Clinton

February 19, 2004

GOTV in Genesee, Idaho

GOTV in Onaway, Idaho

GOTV in Potlach, Idaho

GOTV in Juliaetta, Idaho

GOTV in Bellevue, Idaho

February 20, 2004

GOTV in Carey, Idaho

GOTV in Ketchum, Idaho

GOTV in Sun Valley, Idaho

GOTV in Hailey, Idaho

February 21, 2004

GOTV in Lindon, Utah

GOTV in American Fork, Utah

Speech in Highland, Utah

I heard Senator Biden's criticism of Ambassador Huntsman's endorsement, I will say this... while it is true that certain staff members offered him the possibility of a position in a Clinton Adminsitration, they only did so after it became clear he would support a candidate in the Republican Primaries, and we at no time specified, what position he would receive, when he would take office in said position, or if a position was even guaranteed. This is a stance I have taken with several prospective endorsers thus far, including Chuck Robb and Antonio Villaraigosa. I highly doubt any other candidacy, on either side of the aisle doesn't use the same if not similar tactics.

GOTV in Alpine, Utah

February 22, 2004

GOTV in Evansville, Wyoming

GOTV in Bar Nunn, Wyoming

GOTV in New Roads, Louisiana

February 23, 2004

GOTV in Winooski, Vermont (With Jim Jeffords)

GOTV in Jericho, Vermont (With Jim Jeffords)

GOTV in Griggsville, Illinois

February 24, 2004

GOTV in Stockton, Utah

GOTV in Wendover, Utah (With Jon Huntsman)

Election Night Rally at the Delta Center, Salt Lake City, Utah
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #630 on: May 20, 2014, 10:31:55 PM »

Eh, it's a game. Still, we should cut it with the insane endorsements.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #631 on: May 20, 2014, 10:43:37 PM »
« Edited: May 21, 2014, 05:30:38 AM by Senator Meiji (D-NC) »

John Edwards Press Release

After consulting with our legal team, I am considering a lawsuit against the Clinton campaign for repeated violations of federal election law.

To answer your assertion, no, Senator Clinton, my campaign did not promise or pledge in any way the granting of any sort of appointment in exchange for support for my candidacy. That is because such activity is explicitly illegal under US elections law.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #632 on: May 21, 2014, 12:50:11 AM »
« Edited: May 21, 2014, 12:53:41 AM by badgate »

Statement from Biden campaign
in Honolulu, HI, flanked by Sen. Daniel Inouye & Frmr. Gov. Mario Cuomo

All of my endorsers, including Hawaii's Senator Daniel Inouye, have put their support behind my campaign because they believe I will win the White House for the Democrats, end the war in Iraq, and raise the minimum wage.

In the Senate I've been a leader, a dealmaker, and a legislator. I wrote and passed the Violence Against Women Act, the Biden Crime Law, and along with your Senators' help, successfully blocked the controversial Supreme Court nomination from Ronald Reagan. It is because of my leadership in Congress that I have burnished so many endorsements from my peers in the Senate and in the House of Representatives. I have never, and will never make a back-room deal for an endorsement.
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #633 on: May 21, 2014, 12:54:03 PM »

Candidate Profiles: 1/7

Rudy Giuliani, Republican Candidate for President

Mayor Rudolph 'Rudy' Giuliani served as Mayor of New York City from 1994 to 2001. He rose to national prominence following the September 11, 2001 Terrorist Attacks and was credited for his leadership in guiding the city through the crisis. The man who became America's Mayor is running to become America's President. The basis of his entire campaign is tax cuts and keeping America strong. His resume has played a big part of his campaign, and with universal name recognition he has enjoyed the status of frontrunner.

In recent weeks has been in a heated contest with Virginia Senator George Allen, who is positioning himself as the conservative candidate, attacking Giuliani as a moderate Republican, no different than the Democrats on some of the key conservative issues like abortion and gun control. Giuliani has done a fairly good job at deflecting these attacks. His response to abortion has been similar to the late Senator Barry Goldwater, he believed abortion was not a political issue, and was best left to the individual. Still, Giuliani has had difficulty in winning much of the traditional Republican states in the south, the real test of Giuliani will be if he does secure the nomination if he can bring together all the different factions of the Republican Party.

Who Giuliani taps for a running mate will be crucial for his campaign as well. Still, Giuliani's perceived weakness in the Republican Primary maybe a strength in the general election as he looks to appeal to moderates, independents and even some Democrats. Generally, Giuliani has run a solid, gaffe free campaign, aimed at the middle of the electorate and by focusing on the key issues of the economy, security and terrorism.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #634 on: May 21, 2014, 01:28:40 PM »

New Ad: Patronage
[images of Hillary Clinton and Jon Huntsman]
(Clinton VO): It is true that certain staff members offered him the possibility of a position in a Clinton Administration.
(VO): Seems like typical pay-to-play Washington, right? It's actually worse. US elections law says that any candidate who promises or pledges an appointment "for the purpose of procuring support in their candidacy" shall be fined or imprisoned.
(Clinton VO): This is a stance I have taken with several prospective endorsers thus far, including Chuck Robb and Antonio Villaraigosa.
(VO): And it's a federal crime that the Clinton campaign has committed several times.
[Cut to Edwards]
(John Edwards): I'm John Edwards, and I approved this message because I've never made an illegal deal for an endorsement, and as President, I pledge to only appoint the most qualified candidate for each post, on the basis of merit, not political endorsements.
[graphic: Edwards for President: Honest Government]

NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #635 on: May 21, 2014, 01:53:09 PM »

Candidate Profile: 2/7

Hillary Rodham Clinton, Democratic Candidate for President

Hillary Clinton could make history in November, by being elected the first woman President of the United States, but she needs to first win the nomination before she can begin measuring the drapes in the Oval Office. Throughout the race for the Democratic nomination, she has experienced challenges from two serious dark horses in Joe Biden and John Edwards, but throughout it all Clinton has managed to hold onto her status as frontrunner, but has to yet to seal the deal.

Clinton, is by some perspectives a polarizing figure and many pundits believe she cannot be elected nationally, but that is not stopping Clinton. She continues to barnstorm the country, traveling from state to state bashing the Bush Administration and projecting her own vision for America. An area where many pundits believe she could improve in in talking in some degree about the historic nature of her candidacy. In a field against three other men, Clinton has tried to make herself appear tough and ready for the job of Commander-in-Chief, a task never questioned about her three male rivals. Still, at a campaign event in New Hampshire back last year, Clinton briefly talked about her candidacy, when asked by a voter how it felt to be the first woman running with a serious shot a winning the White House.

Clinton said, "I'm proud to be a woman running for President of the United States. I believe my campaign shows just how far America is willing to go, but I not just running because I am woman, I am running because I truly believe I am the best person to be President of the United States."

Moments such as these are strong points for Clinton, as are her debating skills. She has easily out-shined her competitors as one of the sharpest debaters in the field and will easily hold her own against any of the Republican candidates. Not unlike Rudy Giuliani, Clinton's campaign has always been about looking past the primary and at the general election, and followed by her recent endorsement from Jon Huntsman Clinton is trying to position herself as a moderate figure with broad appeal. Still, her Democratic rivals have not said their final word and holding Clinton's feet to the fire on issues like the minimum wage and attacking her for being a political opportunist.

The campaign is far from over and to unite the party Clinton will have a long road to travel, before she reaches the final stretch towards 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.
Senator Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #636 on: May 21, 2014, 01:57:58 PM »

Statement from Dennis Kucinich

The recent revelations on Jon Huntsman's endorsement of Senator Clinton's campaign show how corruption is still a major problem in politics. This is at the very least unethical, and it is quite possibly illegal. I urge Senator Clinton to do the respectable thing and drop out of the race, and there should be a thorough investigation so justice is carried out.
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #637 on: May 21, 2014, 02:00:40 PM »

Candidate Profile: 3/7

George Allen, Republican Candidate for President

George Allen was a late entry into the Republican race for President and is now a leading contender for the nomination. Running as the conservative candidate, Allen is trying to play up the William F. Buckley motto of 'nominating the most conservative candidate -- who can win.' Allen believes he is the candidate who can win, and winning starts by uniting the Republican Party after a nominating contest, which up until now has proven to be very costly and at times bitter, between him and Rudy Giuliani.

Still, Allen spends his time on the stump talking about what he is for and what he will do as President. The focus of his campaign has been family values and economic issues. He favors a flat tax and has proposed a measure to balance the budget, by calling for large cuts to discretionary spending, wasteful government programs, and a large overhaul and reform of entitlements. Allen is unapologetic for his conservative views, but does not see himself as the ultra-conservative candidate, some in the media try to paint him as.

He's a conservative, in the vein of Ronald Reagan, running to get government out of the people's lives and return to the power to the people. Giuliani, remains the only one in his way from wining the Republican nomination, and Allen has done well throughout the primary, first from the start by winning the Iowa Caucuses. Allen has maintained a healthy lead in delegates and looks to do well in the upcoming contests on Super Tuesday, which many believe will decide who has the momentum going forward. Like Giuliani, he has run a solid campaign, focused on talking about the issues facing the country and what an Allen Presidency would be like for America.
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #638 on: May 21, 2014, 02:10:40 PM »

Candidate Profile: 4/7

Dennis Kucinich, Democratic Candidate for President

Dennis Kucinich has been a political underdog throughout his career. From serving a tumultuous term as Mayor of Cleveland to a member of the House of Representatives, Kucinich is an abashed and unapologetic liberal eager to point out the difference between himself and his competitors for the Democratic Nomination. He wants to bring all troops home immediately and create a new post in the Presidential Cabinet called the Department of Peace. He favors free education for all citizens from Kindergarten to College.

Kucinich recently, said of himself, "I'm the "strongest liberal," I've been a big underdog for much of the race, and I've been picking up steam as the primaries have gone on." In a campaign that began with him trailing in single digits Kucinich has won three contests and amassed an impressive prize of delegates. He currently leads in the Vermont Primary and polls a strong third or even second in many of the other states.

He is by no means the favorite to win the Democratic nomination, but that hasn't stopped him from continuing the fight. In a field where no candidate has had a clear breakaway, Kucinich believes this is where he can come in. As he takes his case to a large electorate, the Ohio Congressman is ready for the good fight and won't back down, especially on matters he is so personally committed to fight on.
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #639 on: May 21, 2014, 02:17:40 PM »

Candidate Profile: 5/7

Gary Johnson, Republican Candidate for President

Gary Johnson is not your average Republican. He favors the legalization of marijuana, ending the drug war and repealing the Patriot Act. Some call him out of step with his party, other call him the savior of the party. His limited government, libertarian approach is appealing. Appealing enough to garner him wins in two contests during the primary. While he poll third in a three man race, Johnson is not throwing in the towel, continuing to promote his message of economic prosperity, peace and freedom.

During his tenure as Governor of New Mexico he named "The Best Job Creator" by the National Review and left his state with a balanced budget. During his tenure he earned the nickname Governor Veto, by vetoing an impressive 750 bills! He cut taxes 14 times, never raising them -- a first for New Mexico.

Johnson is by no means the favorite for the nomination, but is by no means a long shot either. In hotly contested race between Allen and Giuliani, where the two continue to split primary victory, a few wins by Johnson could give his campaign needed momentum and if no candidate reaches a majority by the end of the cycle, put him in a stronger position for the Convention in New York.
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #640 on: May 21, 2014, 02:23:10 PM »

Candidate Profile: 6/7

Joe Biden, Democratic Candidate for President

Joe Biden is a happy warrior on the campaign trail. The long time Delaware Senator, admits to being the poorest member of Congress, rejecting all the pomp and circumstance, instead favoring to embrace his everyman appeal and focus his energies on serving the people. A fierce and unexpected force for the Democratic nomination, in a race that before Iowa looked to be a fight between Hillary Clinton and John Edwards.

Biden has positioned himself as the populist candidate, pushing the minimum wage issue and forcing Clinton to take a stand. He's come farther than many expected in his second bid for the White House. Always a strong debater, no one expected Biden to be much of a candidate in a race where Clinton and ultimately Edwards sucked all the oxygen. But with Edwards momentarily sidelined and Democrats not sold on Clinton, Biden has move to the top tier.

Like Kucinich, Biden is brash, outspoken and unapologetic. He sees the world in black and white and presents himself as a candidate who will govern as a liberal, but with a strong sense of pragmatism. Super Tuesday looks to be the real test for Biden if he hopes to remain in the race. As Edwards reemerges as a strong contender, Biden will need to pull off a series of win to remain viable.
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #641 on: May 21, 2014, 02:29:11 PM »

Candidate Profiles: 7/7

John Edwards, Democratic Candidate for President

John Edwards looks set to make a comeback in the race for the Democratic nomination. After running as an insurgent at the start, he looked ready to topple the Clinton Machine, until a heart scare took him off the campaign trail. He managed to eek out a win in the Iowa Caucuses, but never regained his momentum, allowing Joe Biden to fill the void. He managed to win three more states later on in the primary, but his campaigned seemed to fizzle, with many believing it was time for the former North Carolina Senator to end his bid.

But the one time frontrunner saw a resurgence in the past few weeks as he made a strong play for Super Tuesday, hoping to derail Joe Biden and block any sense of Clinton momentum. Edwards' campaign themes have been of economic populism, with a strong focus on poverty in America. Many pundits at the start of the race put money on him as the likely candidate and some are believing that may still be the case. A

As Clinton fails to seal the deal and with a recent move by the Edwards campaign to attack the New York Senator over her endorsement by Jon Huntsman, the former North Carolina Senator could be the Democratic nominee after all -- or at the very least prevent Clinton or any of the candidates from winning the necessary delegates, setting up for a serious fight in Boston at the Democrat's convention in July.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #642 on: May 21, 2014, 02:29:46 PM »

ooc: It seems my 'Constituency of One' ad is more prescient now more than ever.
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #643 on: May 21, 2014, 02:33:48 PM »

Tracking Poll: Democrats

Hawaii:
Clinton: 30%
Biden: 25%
Kucinich: 20%
Edwards: 20%

Idaho:
Clinton: 26%
Biden: 26%
Edwards: 24%
Kucinich: 19%

Utah:
Clinton: 27%
Biden: 24%
Edwards: 24%
Kucinich: 22%

Tracking Poll: Republicans

Hawaii:
Giuliani: 46%
Allen: 33%
Johnson: 19%

Idaho:
Allen: 45%
Giuliani: 28%
Johnson: 24%

Utah:
Allen: 45%
Giuliani: 36%
Johnson: 17%
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #644 on: May 21, 2014, 02:42:21 PM »
« Edited: May 21, 2014, 02:45:41 PM by badgate »

Statement from Biden Campaign

All surrogates have been given new talking points for their engagements on February 22, 23, and 24. All surrogates will be attacking Senator Clinton for promising an appointment for Jon Huntsman's endorsement. Surrogates will also push Biden's record in the Senate, saying it proves he is the best choice to get things done in the White House such as ending the war in Iraq, finding unity at home, and raising the minimum wage.

In the Senate, Hillary Clinton has served a constituency of one: Herself. The recent admission of a back-room deal for an endorsement is only proof that Senator Clinton is running for herself, and not for the Democratic party or the people of the United States.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #645 on: May 21, 2014, 03:32:51 PM »

Surrogates, GOTV Strategy, and Talking Points

GOTV Strategy

Minimal resources are being spent in the three states currently being contested. In Hawaii, in fact, small purchases of air time is all that the Allen campaign is doing, knowing a surefire loss in the state matters very little. Meanwhile, in Idaho and Utah, two well known Senators, Mike Crapo and Bob Bennett, are using their intimate knowledge of the states Republican Primary voting patterns to move votes and create as large a victory as possible. This likely means a continuation of the rural and family voter strategy, but both Senators have the ability to pierce the urban areas of each state (Salt Lake City in Utah in particular).

Meanwhile, the Allen campaign has named Campaign Managers for each contested Super Tuesday state. Karen Hughes, keenly aware of the circumstances, and how unbalanced the Super Tuesday map, has decided the Allen Campaign needs to win at least four of five states: Georgia, Maryland, Ohio, Minnesota, and California. As a result, Hughes has strengthened the Allen organization so that is not so top heavy, and instead relying on grassroots conservative organizations in the states to pull through.

Minnesota Campaign Manager: Congressman Gil Gutnecht (R-MN)
Maryland Campaign Manager: Former Governor Pierre DuPont (R-DE)
Ohio Campaign Manager: Former Congressman John Kasich (R-OH)
Georgia Campaign Manager: Senator Zell Miller (D-GA)
California Campaign Manager: Congressman and Former Attorney General Dan Lungren (R-CA)

Each of these people either have elected experience in the state, or have roots to fundraisers in the state that can help push Allen in the right direction. The most controversial pick is of Democrat Zell Miller, but Zell Miller has connections to both Republicans and conservative Democrats who can pool money and push Allen in the right direction money-wise. Competing with big money like Giuliani is tough, but Allen's combination of conservative grassroots and Bush administration fundraisers has him matching him buck for buck.

Surrogates

West Coast

Mike Crapo - Feb 18th - 20th: Senatorial Duties, Feb 21st- 23rd: Barnstorming in Idaho, Feb 24th: GOTV in Idaho

Bob Bennett - Feb 18th-19th, 23rd: Senatorial Duties, Feb 20th - 22nd: Barnstorming in Utah, Feb 24th: GOTV in Utah

Dan Lungren - Feb 18th - 20th: Congressional Duties, Feb. 21st - 24th: Organizing, Barnstorming in California

Darrell Issa - Feb 18th: Congressional Duties, Feb. 19th - 24th: Fundraising, Barnstorming in California

Jon Kyl - Feb 18th - 19th: Senatorial Duties, Feb 20th: Barnstorming in Utah, Feb 21st: Barnstorming in Idaho, Feb 22nd - 24th: Fundraising in D.C.

Non-Northeastern States

Barnstorming in Minnesota - Tommy Thompson [5 Days], Bob Kasten [5 Days], Paul Ryan [3 Days], Mark Green [3 Days], John Engler [5 Days], Gil Gutnecht [3 Days + Organizing]

Barnstorming in Ohio - Rick Santorum [3 Days], Jim Ross Lightfoot [3 Days], John Snow [5 Days], John Kasich [3 Days + Organizing], Rob Portman [3 Days]

Barnstorming in Maryland - Pierre DuPont [5 Days + Organizing], Michael Castle [3 Days], Lindsey Graham [3 Days], Arthur Ravenel [3 Days + 2 Days Fundraising], Pat Buchanan [3 Days]

Barnstorming in Georgia - Zell Miller [3 Days + Organizing], Tom Coburn [5 Days], Mary Fallin [3 Days], Dick Armey [5 Days]

Northeastern

Bill Kristol - Feb 18th - 24th: Press Appearances

Vito Fosella - Feb 18th - 20th: Congressional Duties, Feb 21st - 23rd: Barnstroming/Fundraising in New York, Feb 24th: Barnstorming in Connecticut

Andy Card - Feb 18th - 20th: Press Appearances, Feb 21st - 22nd: Barnstorming in Massachusetts, Feb. 23rd - 24th: Barnstorming in Vermont

Craig Benson - Feb 18th - 22nd: Barnstorming in Connecticut, Feb 23rd - 24th: Barnstorming in Vermont

Talking Points

"Let me be clear: If Rudy Giuliani is the nominee, we will not win the Presidency in 2004. Let me repeat: If Rudy Giuliani is the nominee, we will not win the Presidency in 2004. Why is that? It's quite simple to me, and I believe a lot voters understand this better than the pundits: who will evangelicals vote for? The Democrat who doesn't believe in our values, or the Republican who doesn't believe in our values. If he's the nominee, its a complete wash for these voters. I do not believe in a secular, individualistic Republican Party, and that is not the way we should go. George Allen is the only candidate on the field who has the credentials and the belief in the American family that can win this race.

All Surrogates will be given this set of talking points:

When on the field, try to compare and contrast the issues, particularly Giuliani's belief on Gun Control, Gay Marriage and abortion. The fact is, those views poll terribly among Republicans, and are unpopular with Americans as a whole. They will be toxic when extended beyond Giuliani's northeastern base.

Also, particular mention of the Allen minimum wage plan is critical. Instead of just introducing it as a plan, talk it up a bit, as the small business solution to the decreasing wage problem. This kind of talk amps up Allen's credentials as the solutions based candidate. Make sure to use the term "common sense conservative".

Finally, make sure to give a slight mention to the Hillary situation, but not to jab her too hard, lest we get the chance to actually face her in the general election. Instead, nod to the idea that it's yet another sign of the crumbling Democratic apparatus.

Most importantly, get out there and make sure the voters are excited and ready to go: our campaign leads amongst voters most excited to be going to the polls among our internals, and we need those supporters in full both in Utah and Idaho, and in the general electorate.

Good Luck,
Karen Hughes
Senator Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #646 on: May 21, 2014, 06:23:34 PM »

Dennis Kucinich Campaign Schedule: February 18-24

February 18
With Howard Dean and Bernie Sanders
-Meet and Greet in Bellow Falls, VT
-Meet and Greet in Springfield, VT
-Meet and Greet in Swanton, VT
-Rallying grassroots in Barre, VT
-Constructing GOTV strategy with campaign staff in Burlington, VT

Vermont, things are looking up! We're leading here by a modest margin and we're quite competitive in the next primaries and going into Super Tuesday. Don't believe those who say, "Oh, Dennis Kucinich has no chance of winning the election, or the nomination for that matter." I've already won three contests and there's many more to go! Plus, what I speak about on the campaign trail is popular with many Americans. People want to see us out of Iraq, have their tuition go down, and have a clean environment. We can achieve all of these goals, ladies and gentlemen, but it will take determination on our part to make sure that the right people head into office next year. That begins here with this campaign, and I only see things to be happy about!

February 19
-Barnstorming and persuading undecided voters in Sandy, UT
-Barnstorming and bus tour in Orem, UT
-Barnstorming and phone banking in West Jordan, UT
-Barnstorming and reaching out to grassroots in Provo, UT
-Barnstorming and town hall in West Valley City, UT
-Barnstorming and organizing GOTv operation with staff in Salt Lake, City, UT

Frankly, all of this news that's come out about Senator Clinton and her deal with Jon Huntsman sickens me. It's a violation of campaign law and prosecutors should get down to the bottom of this. I've already called for Senator Clinton's withdrawal from the race if she has enough integrity to do so. Let's see what her next moves are. Talking about it out in the open like she has just goes to show that Washington is in over its head, and it's time to shake up things. One reason why I went into public service in the first place was to truly be a voice for the people, and not for special interests. I tried to root out corruption as Mayor of Cleveland, I've been tough as a Congressman, and I'll use whatever powers I can as President in accordance with the law to carry out justice. More elected officials should lead by example, and unfortunately a lot of them have failed in that regard.

February 20
With John Waihee, Howard Dean, and Russ Feingold
-Meet and Greet in Aiea, HI
-Meet and Greet in Waimea, HI
-Meet and Greet in Kapaa, HI
-Meeting with seniors in Waimalu, HI
-Phone banking in Ewa Beach, HI
-Phone banking in Wailuku, HI
-Interviews with local media

Good day, Hawaii! You'll be seeing a lot of me in these next few days. I believe this is a prime state to promote the message of peace and equality for all, because Hawaii knows how important it is to love your neighbor. That's what we should be doing more of: loving our neighbors. Instead of recklessly flexing our military strength across the world and harming ties along the way, we should take a more diplomatic approach to solving our biggest problems in foreign policy. We didn't need to come in Iraq with bombs and guns. now that we have, though, it's crucial that we extend a hand in rebuilding their nation. Hawks from both parties want us to get involved with Iran now, but do we really want to repeat the mistakes of Iraq so soon? We should open negotiations with Iranian leaders and come to a sensible solution. Loving our neighbors doesn't just apply abroad, though. We should get guns off our streets and have peaceful neighborhoods. Rehabilitation programs will be strengthened under a Kucinich administration for addicts of all kinds, as prison is not the solution for every problem we face in our cities and communities. I'm confident that we can embark on a better path for the future.

February 21
With John Waihee, Bernie Sanders, and George McGovern
-Barnstorming and contacting grassroots in Schofield Barracks, HI
-Barnstorming and town hall in Kihei, HI
-Barnstorming and persuading undecided voters in Mililani Mauka, HI
-Bus tour in Kihei, HI
-Phone banking in Kapolei, HI
-Organizing strong GOTV operation with staff in Honolulu, HI

Let me tell you a little bit about myself. I was the oldest of 7 children, and during my childhood I lived in 21 different homes--including some cars for a time. My family never had much in riches, but there was a lot of love in that family. We always looked out for each other, and we could always trust one another to get things done and to help out in times of need. Even though we didn't possess much, we greatly made up for that through how strong of a bond we all had together. The lessons of my childhood have stayed with me ever since.  I've taken the same amount of care and devotion and applied it to all other aspects of my life, including with public service. It's each and every one of us who has the responsibility of taking care of themselves, their family and friends, and their neighborhoods. I believe that everyone should take some form of public service in their lives. It doesn't have to be running for office; it can be joining the Peace Corps, or volunteering at the local food bank. There are plenty of options out there. What matters is that we all pitch in with making a better world for ourselves, and it begins one step at a time.

February 22
With John Waihee, Robert Reich, and Barney Frank
-Outreach to young voters in Ewa Gentry, HI
-Town hall on Japanese-American issues in Mililani Town, HI
-Barnstorming and GOTV prep in Kaneohe, HI
-Barnstorming and persuading undecided voters in Makakilo, HI
-Phone banking in Halawa, HI
-Phone banking in Waipio, HI
-Strengthening communications between campaign and grassroots in Honolulu, HI

I'm joined here with Governor Waihee. He's got the greatest confidence that we can make the right kind of changes together. As I tour around the country, I see that Americans are hungry for real change. They're not satisfied with George W. Bush at all, and his poll numbers are only dropping by the day, which doesn't come as a surprise to me. The question that we as Democrats face is who we should pick as our party's standard-bearer against whoever the Republicans will throw at the American people. Maybe I'm biased, but I'd say I'm the best choice here. *chuckles* You take a good look at my record throughout the years, though, and you'll find that I'm at the heart of the Democratic Party on just about every issue, and I blow away all of my competitors. Senator Clinton shouldn't even pretend that she's been a consistent voice for liberals and progressives, because she hasn't. With a flawed candidate like her in many ways, she's not the best we can offer as a party. Senators Biden and Edwards also aren't the best we can offer, since they've flip-flopped on issues like Iraq. The arguments against me on electability don't hold up once you compare where the candidates are on the issues, and in my case, I stand with the majority of Americans on Iraq, the minimum wage, and a whole host of other issues. Hawaii, don't let me down! Let's win this together!

February 23
With John Waihee, Ralph Nader, and Mike Gravel
-Barnstorming and outreach to women in Kailua, HI
-Barnstorming and outreach to issue-based voters in Hilo, HI
-Barnstorming and phone banking in East Honolulu, HI
-Barnstorming and bus tour in Pearl City, HI
-Barnstorming and phone banking in Honolulu, HI
-Implementing grand GOTV strategy in Honolulu, HI

Well, tomorrow is the day, Hawaii! I've got a feeling that we'll have a few victories then to celebrate! *cheers* That won't come just by itself, though. Now here comes the hardest part: getting all of you to be out there and vote.  I want all of you to show up in full force, and don't forget to tell your family and friends about the campaign and what we stand for. Tomorrow will be the next step in ensuring that we get the nomination, and then we'll soon be in the White House! *applause*

February 24
With all surrogates
-GOTV in Hawaii
-GOTV in Utah
-GOTV in Idaho
-Rally in Honolulu, HI
Senator Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #647 on: May 21, 2014, 06:24:53 PM »
« Edited: May 21, 2014, 06:32:34 PM by Governor Spiral »

TV/Radio Ad: Corruption

"[. . .] it is true that certain staff members offered him the possibility of a position in a Clinton Adminsitration [. . .]" That's Hillary Clinton talking about giving political favors to Jon Huntsman, who endorsed her campaign. Corruption is alive and well in politics. Senator Clinton may have earned the support of Ambassador Huntsman, but she has lost the support of the American people through her illegal actions. It's time for a change in Washington. Dennis Kucinich has stood up to corruption since his days in Cleveland, and as President, he'll be our nation's leader with integrity. I'm Dennis Kucinich, and I approve this message.

TV/Radio Ad: Medicare For All

I'm Dennis Kucinich. In Congress I've introduced legislation that would bring Medicare for All in our healthcare system. Insurance companies have been profiting off of children, the elderly, and the sick. No more. My proposal would bring a national single-payer system that offers full coverage the way that we already cover our seniors. As President, this will be one of my top policy goals. Healthcare is a basic right, not something used for profit. I'm Dennis Kucinich, and I approve this message because it's time to offer real solutions for our biggest problems.

Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #648 on: May 21, 2014, 07:31:07 PM »

Columnist Bill Kristol's Appearance on Hannity

Hannity: "Today on the program, we have a good friend of ours, Bill Kristol, an endorsee of Senator Allen's campaign for President and founder of the Weekly Standard. Great to have you, Bill."

Kristol: "Glad to be here, Sean."

Hannity: "First thing I gotta ask, look: Giuliani's a great candidate, Allen's a great candidate, why did you choose Allen?"

Kristol: "Well, my main place of expertise is in foreign policy, and the thing is, Allen and Giuliani are both strong on national defense. Both have put out strategies for Iraq that are appealing, and I honestly couldn't decide on the two if it were based on that alone. However, on the issue of taxes, Giuliani is more status quo, Allen challenges the status quo, point Allen. On the issue of spending, Giuliani's plans are more subtle, Allen's are stronger, point Allen. Go through all of these non-foreign policy issues, Allen is the stronger candidate on policy. Along with that, he's put out a constructive minimum wage policy that allows conservatives to fight back, and he can appeal to crowds that would sit out in a Giuliani run, and when you add the points, its no contest, Allen is our guy."

Hannity: "What about Medicare Part D, this is sort of a controversial expansion of the Healthcare state, is it not?"

Kristol: "And Giuliani supports Medicare Part D. Look, even Allen admits its not a perfect policy, but when it comes down to brass tacks, its better than the old system because it allows for a market option. We need more reforms like that if we are going to get anywhere with our healthcare system, and that is a fact."

Hannity: "But isn't it another big government program that spends more and wastes more as well?"

Kristol: "Allen's broader healthcare proposal reduces healthcare costs in the long term, and it reduces the expenses that Medicare Part D has. Yes, it's flawed, but there are positives to this Medicare expansion as well. It's no surprise that that was latched on earlier in the campaign by his opponents, but this line of questioning has showed no traction because, among the main candidates, there is no disagreement."

Hannity: "Finally, what do you think of this Hillary Clinton scandal? Because I think this is old school, patronage style corruption, do you think she should drop out?"

Kristol: "For the sake of a possible Republican landslide, no! *chuckles* But seriously, this is no surprise: this is a stark reminder of the Clinton days where lobbyists and corruption rule the day. And this is what we would return to if the Democrats took over again. Senator Allen and I are extremely close, but he says he doesn't have any idea who he would appoint to any office, and doesn't plan to for quite some time. There are no patronage jobs at the Allen campaign, and let's hope this whole thing goes through the legal process very seriously."

Hannity: "That was Columnist Bill Kristol, a surrogate for the Allen campaign, and one of my good friends."
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #649 on: May 21, 2014, 08:01:27 PM »

Campaign Director Mary Matalin's Appearance on Wolf Blitzer Reports (Feb. 23rd, 2004)

Wolf Blitzer: Let's bring in Mary Matalin, former counselor to Vice President Cheney and Political Director for George H.W. Bush's campaign in 1988. Now she's the Campaign Director for Mayor Rudy Giuliani's Presidential bid. How are you doing today?

Mary Matalin: I'm just fine, Wolf. Thanks for having me on the program.

Blitzer: Some people have questioned Mayor Giuliani's conservative credentials. How do you respond to this?

Matalin: Anyone who's read the Mayor's platform, rather than listen to the campaign rhetoric of Senator Allen, knows that he's a conservative. But that's not what's important. He's not running for the Conservative Party nomination He's running for the Republican Party nomination. No one can contest whether the Mayor is a Republican, that's what's important.

Blitzer: What about the assertions that the Mayor can't win traditional Republicans?

Matalin: That's just a flat out lie, Wolf. The Mayor has won more states than Senator Allen, he's received more votes than Senator Allen. He's won in cities, urban areas, and rural counties. Mayor Giuliani has shown that he can win a large number of votes in any state in any corner of this nation.

Blitzer: Let's assume polls carry on and Senator Clinton is the Democratic nominee. What makes Mayor Giuliani the best candidate, for the Republican nomination, to face her?

Matalin: He's the only candidate who can win in November. Senator Allen hasn't led Senator Clinton in the polls for months, and now he's trailing her. Mayor Giuliani has held a consistent lead and would lead by greater margins if the primary could get wrapped up. The longer the race is dragged on the longer the Mayor has to avert his attention from beating Senator Clinton. Carrying on the Primary much longer, after Super Tuesday, will do very little except hurt the party from holding the White House in November.

Blitzer: That's Mary Matalin, campaign director for Rudy Giuliani. Thank you for joining me today. We'll be right back.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 ... 66  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies