Mississippi 2015 Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 08:49:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Mississippi 2015 Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28
Author Topic: Mississippi 2015 Megathread  (Read 82954 times)
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #600 on: November 05, 2015, 11:51:02 PM »

^

That is correct. I'm working on an elections recap and I'll post it here when I finish.

Waiting with interest. One of the questions i would like to get an answer for - why most of highly heralded campaigns of well-known (an, ostensibly, fitting the districts, being an "old school local good boys" with "normal" campaign platform (mixture of some economic populism with social conservatism)) Democratic local officials went so badly? Some even failed to get 40%, and the best result i can remember was 46% in HD-90. Even Childers got only 42%. The one (and only) exception in HD-12 only proves that...

If a place is trending away from a certain party for a long time. Not even candidates closer to the new "political center of that state" can win.

Some people think they lost because "they were too rightwing". I think even though they lost, they probably lost much less than had they ran a CA style campaign with full on Green platform, economic leftism and ultra social liberalism. Lots of bitter progressives play too much into that meme and Wendy Davis being crushed is an example of that hypothesis not working. There is no secret progressive voterbase that will prop up and bring them to victory if only they were more leftwing.

I don't think Democrats should run bitter progressive campaigns in states that aren't bitterly progressive. But it seems like a lot of these Democrats run in these states AGAINST the Republican narrative instead of FOR their own narrative. Beyond maybe Joe Manchin, and even he does this, I get the sense that economic populism still vibes with this region.
gespb19
United States

« Reply #601 on: November 05, 2015, 11:56:39 PM »

Wrote this on my phone so probably could be written better but here is my recap on Tuesday's elections.

https://catfishpoboy.wordpress.com/2015/11/05/recapping-the-mississippi-elections/

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Interesting -do you know of any Democratic defections in the offing over in the Senate?  

Wilemon maybe?
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #602 on: November 06, 2015, 12:16:52 AM »

Wrote this on my phone so probably could be written better but here is my recap on Tuesday's elections.

https://catfishpoboy.wordpress.com/2015/11/05/recapping-the-mississippi-elections/

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Interesting -do you know of any Democratic defections in the offing over in the Senate?  

Wilemon maybe?

My thought too. With Hale out he is by far the most conservative of Democratic state senators. But on the other hand - he is 70+ and unlikely to seek other office in the future. More likelly - he will simply retire in 2019. If so - he may stay who he always was (a conservative Democrat) next 4 years..
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #603 on: November 06, 2015, 12:23:55 AM »
« Edited: November 06, 2015, 02:38:32 AM by smoltchanov »

Thanks! I knew almost alll info mentioned there, but thanks nevertheless. It seems to me that NE Misssissippi is finally shedding it's populist path and becomes solidly conservative not only on social, but on most other issues too. The fact that even Hood couldn't win Lee county, and losses of theoretically strong democratic local officeholders in state legislative races (most of them were exactly in this area) speak for themselves...

P.S. I expect Bain to switch sometime in future (and rather soon). He is very ambitious, comes from white-majority district in Northern Mississippi (where Republicans have considerable success of late), and is rather conservative (the most conservative Democrat in House after Steverson's switch, though, of course not as conservative as Bounds, Mettetal, Shows and Jeff Smith were only recently). He has nothing to gain remaining Democrat: Democrats will be in dire minority in Legislature until 2045 earliest, and he can't win statewide race as a Democrat. The upper limit - Northern PSC seat if Presley will run for something. And as Republican a possibilities are much bigger...
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #604 on: November 08, 2015, 05:55:31 PM »

They're still counting votes in the Sojourner/Dearing race. That means it's possible Democrats will end up not netting a loss in the State Senate.
gespb19
United States

« Reply #605 on: November 08, 2015, 11:37:53 PM »

Kinda random, but a Harper/Sojourner primary in CD-3 would be wildly entertaining.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #606 on: November 10, 2015, 03:07:22 PM »

Kinda random, but a Harper/Sojourner primary in CD-3 would be wildly entertaining.

As would a Palazzo/McDaniel race in MS-4

Also, should we be keeping an eye-out for GOP shenanigans in MS-01 for 2016?  Kelly could be vulnerable in a GOP primary just because he isn't that well-established, and a DeSoto County candidate would have a pretty big advantage in a GOP primary.   
gespb19
United States

« Reply #607 on: November 10, 2015, 04:00:09 PM »

Yeah, I'm waiting on McDaniel to make an announcement but I'm beginning to think it may not happen. Would definitely be a good race though.
gespb19
United States

« Reply #608 on: November 10, 2015, 05:38:07 PM »

Reports from Natchez are that Dearing has slim lead but some votes left to be counted.

http://disq.us/8qxoxb
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #609 on: November 10, 2015, 11:21:31 PM »

I think this is a Sojourner concession speech?

https://mississippipep.wordpress.com/2015/11/10/sen-melanie-sojourner-releases-statement-on-status-of-district-37-race/
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #610 on: November 10, 2015, 11:35:08 PM »

So that means essentially no net change in the Mississippi Senate?

House:

Republicans: 74
Democrats: 48

Senate:

Republicans: 32
Democrats: 20
gespb19
United States

« Reply #611 on: November 10, 2015, 11:55:37 PM »

The Jackson Jambalaya blog is reporting that the HD79 race with Eaton and Tullos may be tied up. So, we could still have some shakeups.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #612 on: November 11, 2015, 12:36:10 AM »

Looks so. If so - excellent! Dearing is an old school conservative Democrat (who was caught unprepared in Republican wave of 2011, IMHO), but even for diehard liberal he is MUCH better then lunatic right-winger Sojourner...
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #613 on: November 11, 2015, 12:46:12 AM »

Considering the climate, Mississippi Democrats had a great night, at least in the State Senate.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #614 on: November 11, 2015, 03:21:12 AM »

Considering the climate, Mississippi Democrats had a great night, at least in the State Senate.

Yeah, sure. But House is worse. As i already mentioned - they (Democrats) relied on popular local officeholders to get back some seats they lost in 2011 (mostly - in North Mississippi). And our expert gespb19 considered their chances to be pretty good. But, with one exception (i still try to deduce which type of Democrat he is ideologically) - they failed, and rather big ( 37 to 43% of vote)... And Democrats are still in danger of losing Eaton's seat. If so, there will be 74 Republicans in next House (all - white, BTW) and 48 Democrats (by my count - 38 Black and 10 white). Except for some relatively liberal members (like Bob Evans, Kevin Horan and David Baria (who is also endangered in every election) and, may be, Steve Holland and Tommy Reynolds) the moment may come when there will not be any other white Democrats in Mississippi's House (for example - Sullivan may retire, and Bain, Evans and Miles are strong candidates for switching). And Black caucus is, possibly, close to it's upper limit - with as polarized voting as it is in state it may grow by 1-2 next elections, but - hardly more...
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #615 on: November 12, 2015, 06:36:45 PM »

There was an exact tie in one of the House seats previously counted as Republican.
gespb19
United States

« Reply #616 on: November 12, 2015, 07:26:17 PM »

Unless the rule has changed, that race will be decided by drawing straws.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #617 on: November 13, 2015, 12:20:17 AM »

Unless the rule has changed, that race will be decided by drawing straws.

Good luck to Eaton, then...
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #618 on: November 18, 2015, 08:23:52 PM »

So the straw-drawing is confirmed, but apparently, the loser is allowed to challenge the result of it in front of the state House, which basically means that the House can vote to elect Tullos even if he loses. So he's basically already won.
gespb19
United States

« Reply #619 on: November 18, 2015, 10:45:19 PM »

Yep.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #620 on: November 18, 2015, 10:48:11 PM »

When are the county maps going to be done?
gespb19
United States

« Reply #621 on: November 20, 2015, 05:33:38 PM »

I've never been able to figure out how to make maps on this site. Someone smarter than I can give it a shot though.
gespb19
United States

« Reply #622 on: November 20, 2015, 05:37:39 PM »

BTW, Eaton won the straw draw but Tullos will challenge as expected.
International Brotherhood of Bernard
interstate73

« Reply #623 on: November 20, 2015, 05:39:18 PM »

BTW, Eaton won the straw draw but Tullos will challenge as expected.

So the Dems won fair and square but Republicans get their supermajority anyway? What hogwash.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #624 on: November 20, 2015, 06:57:46 PM »

When are the county maps going to be done?

Still nothing on the SOS website. Maybe next week?
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies