Mississippi 2015 Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 11:45:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Mississippi 2015 Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 28
Author Topic: Mississippi 2015 Megathread  (Read 83096 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 19, 2014, 09:27:44 PM »
« edited: May 22, 2015, 07:55:58 PM by Frodo »

Given the 2015 statewide elections are only an election cycle away, I have to ask:

How is the state legislature looking, especially in the wake of GOP redistricting a couple of years ago or so?

Here is the current makeup:

House

Republicans: 67
Democrats: 55

Senate

Republicans: 32
Democrats: 20
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 11:39:13 PM »

If I had to guess, the Senate will stay about the same as the Dixiecrats are gone and everyone is packed into neatly gerrymandered districts.  The Republicans gain around 10 seats in the House with the new lines, but the number of black Democrats goes up too.

So, the Democratic caucus will be (with few exceptions) a Black caucus? The same gradually happens in Alabama, Louisiana and some other states.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 11:42:17 PM »

So, the Democratic caucus will be (with few exceptions) a Black caucus? The same gradually happens in Alabama, Louisiana and some other states.

2011 was the first time white legislators were a minority of the Democratic caucus.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2014, 01:48:49 AM »

2011 was the first time white legislators were a minority of the Democratic caucus.

I know. And they will be smaller and smaller minoriy with each next election
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2014, 06:44:34 AM »

After all, blacks are increasing their numbers in Mississippi!
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2014, 10:21:42 AM »

After all, blacks are increasing their numbers in Mississippi!

But they are 37% (or about that) of population and 55-60% (can count precisely, but approximately so) of Democratic caucus. Not exactly the same numbers))))
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2014, 08:01:11 PM »

Thank you!

It looks like Brandon Presley might run for Governor.
LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2014, 08:33:03 PM »

Unfortunately, I think Bryant will run for re-election and if he does, he's pretty much guaranteed. He's actually younger than I thought (59) and is like any typical far-right conservative by denying his state Medicaid coverage and trying to close down the last abortion clinic in the state, so I don't see why anyone would challenge him from his right. 

IIRC, the Attorney General of Mississippi isn't term-limited, so if I were Jim Hood, I would just run for another term in 2015 and hold out until 2019 when Bryant's forced to step down. Presley could run if he wanted to, but I don't see him running either and I think MS Dems will probably end up with a State Rep running. At least that way, Democrats can put more focus on holding KY and trying to win LA.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2014, 09:09:41 PM »

Unfortunately, I think Bryant will run for re-election and if he does, he's pretty much guaranteed. He's actually younger than I thought (59) and is like any typical far-right conservative by denying his state Medicaid coverage and trying to close down the last abortion clinic in the state, so I don't see why anyone would challenge him from his right. 

IIRC, the Attorney General of Mississippi isn't term-limited, so if I were Jim Hood, I would just run for another term in 2015 and hold out until 2019 when Bryant's forced to step down. Presley could run if he wanted to, but I don't see him running either and I think MS Dems will probably end up with a State Rep running. At least that way, Democrats can put more focus on holding KY and trying to win LA.

Yeah, this is where I'm at. If in 2015, Dems pick up Louisiana (a feat that's not entirely impossible), and hold Kentucky, it will be a good day.

If a Democrat get's 40% in Mississippi, that would be great too.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2014, 02:01:51 AM »

Well, 40% is, really, almost always a guarantee... The problem is that 45% is almost always (Hood is exception) a ceiling as of late.

State legislative elections will be interesting too. Republicans can get supermajority in state Senate, but, most likely, not in the House...
TX Conservative Dem
United States

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2014, 10:16:49 AM »

I think Bryant wins reelection in 2015, getting 62% against a weak Democratic nominee for the governorship.

On Jim Hood: he's better off going for reelection as State AG , wait until 2019 to seek the governorship and hopefully win it for the MS Democrats, who are very desperate to win the governorship.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2014, 08:02:53 PM »

http://www.clarionledger.com/story/news/2014/05/14/personhood-ballot-deadline/9100271/

It's official: Personhood will NOT be on the ballot again in 2015. Too bad -- I was looking forward to another right-wing meltdown...
TX Conservative Dem
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2014, 07:23:40 AM »

What about the other down ballot statewide offices?

Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2014, 10:51:17 AM »

I've heard unsubstantiated rumors that Delbert Hosemann will be challenging Tate Reeves for the Lt. Governor nomination next year, and Parker Wiseman will run as a Democrat against Lynn Fitch for State Treasurer. 
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2014, 01:25:40 PM »

Geoff Pender on how the Cochran/McDaniel dichotomy will affect statewide elections in 2015.

Bryant will be rolled out a red carpet on his way to a second-term, the interesting races/primaries will be further down ballot.  '

I doubt McDaniel goes for a statewide office, and he probably declines reelection the State Senate as well.  The political futures of Michael Watson and Melanie Sojourner will be what plays out next year.  Sojourner probably retires from the Senate like McDaniel will, but I think Watson will go for a statewide office.

The Democratic field is quite fluid right now, and if Jim Hood decides to retire it will be disasterous for them.  If Travis Childers runs a respectably close campaign against Thad Cochran then I guess he could plot a comeback in 2015.   
Dixie Reborn
BeyondTruthAndIdeals
Canada

« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2014, 09:09:03 PM »

What are the chances of Watson primarying (or attempting to primary) Bryant?
Also, does/should McDaniel seek statewide office (such as AG) and what would his chances be?
NHLiberal

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2014, 09:39:37 PM »

What are the chances of Watson primarying (or attempting to primary) Bryant?
Also, does/should McDaniel seek statewide office (such as AG) and what would his chances be?

I'd guess Watson primaries Reeves
Attorney General, Senator-Elect, & Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2014, 11:17:55 PM »

PPP: Bryant would defeat Hood 44-33, Presley 49-26
http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/main/2014/07/mississippi-miscellany.html
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2014, 11:50:08 PM »

Bryant is practically indestructible.  He has both Tea Party and establishment support and, according to PPP at least, not even Hood can touch him.  We won't be seeing Tea Partiers or Democrats making a play for the Governor's Mansion next year.

Watson probably primaries Reeves, but so will Hosemann.  In a massive embarrassment to the MS Tea Party, Watson won't even make the runoff.  Mark my words. 
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2015, 01:52:02 PM »

Former Republican state Sen. Tim Johnson on Wednesday announced he’s switching parties and challenging incumbent Republican Lt. Gov. Tate Reeves this year.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.clarionledger.com/story/news/2015/02/04/former-gop-senator-switches-parties-challenges-lt-gov/22882703/
http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/why-mississippi-republican-now-democrat?cid=sm_fb_maddow
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2015, 05:00:40 PM »

We'll see how this goes, but this dude is moving in the wrong direction. We'll see if that is a move of three dimensional chess or poor political intuition.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2015, 05:07:19 PM »

Congrats, MS Dems!

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2015, 05:15:49 PM »

Correct me If I'm wrong, but he's successful because MS doesn't list R and D on the ballot, right?
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2015, 05:27:57 PM »

He'll probably win re-election, but I never knew why is he popular enough to get elected. Is he a clone of Gene Taylor or something?
gespb19
United States

« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2015, 10:31:38 PM »

He'll probably win re-election, but I never knew why is he popular enough to get elected. Is he a clone of Gene Taylor or something?

Hood is a little left of Taylor, but he is against abortion and gun control, which gives him enough of the white evangelical vote to win fairly comfortably. Would think he wins easily again in November.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 28  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies