Summary of political beliefs (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:11:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Summary of political beliefs (search mode)
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Summary of political beliefs  (Read 562415 times)
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2013, 08:00:15 PM »

Basically a libertarian but for being a little racist, in favor of some gun control and for UHC. 
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2014, 12:37:25 PM »

Social Policy
AbortionSad/b] I am pro-life. However, I do not believe it's within my rights to take this away from someone. I would rather incentivize adoption and make it a more attractive option for mothers who do not want to raise a child.
Drugs: My main concern with this is pushing people away from jail who are users and pushing the distributors towards it. This would be done through decriminalization of some, if not all, recreational drugs, and placing very strong laws on the production and distribution of the drugs.
Censorship: Thoroughly against it.
Gay Marriage: Pro-gay marriage. More or less I don't see why it's my business. Marriage isn't a religious institution historically. I don't see why I should distort the facts to maintain an antiquated social norm.
Death penalty: State issue. I don't believe I could carry this out in anything other than an extreme circumstance, ie Osama or Hitler.
Prostitution: State issue.
Church and State: Fine with where we're currently at, but common sense should rule this debate. If a town wants to put up a Christmas tree, let them.
Stem cell research: Fully support this and the advancement of science in general.
PATRIOT Act: Repeal it.
Gun control: I'm fine with the imposition of some simple restrictions, ie background checks at gun shows. But, overall, I would want it to be coupled with a guarantee of the security of rights to gun owners and advancement of mental health studies.
Assisted suicide: No.
Gambling: I'd be in favor of some gambling reforms; however, I'm not sure what they'd be.

Electoral Reform
Term Limits: 20 for SCOTUS judges, 12 for Senate members, and 8 for House members.
Voting Age: 18
Campaign Finance Reform: Ban lobbying nearly completely and restrict donations to certain periods.
Gerrymandering: Proportional.
Voter ID: I'm very torn on this.

Economic Issues
Welfare: Reform social security, medicare, medicaid and replace Obamacare. Social security would be replaced for those under 40 with a private fund. Those private funds would have a safety net of a certain amount of dollars. Those making more than a certain amount will not receive SS. Most of my health reform will be discussed in the appropriate section. In terms of the impoverished, those who cannot help themselves should be given aid, but those who are generally poor should be pushed toward employment by offering skill training and like programs.
Unions: They're basically dead. Localized unions without a nation, or state-wide, apparatus can be beneficial.
Privatization: In favor of some privatization efforts.
Environment: Very much pro-environmental progress. I may be skeptical of global warming timelines; however, there are only positive externalities to the progress of this. It will also help us grow our economy substantially if we become the leader in green energy.
Minimum Wage: Australian, age based, system.
Taxation: Cut the death tax to 10%. Cut corporate taxes and close loopholes. I'm in favor of taxes raises and cuts depending on the economic situation.
Healthcare: Payment reform is required. Doctors should receive a salary, not payment based on the services they perform. Near complete elimination of paperwork. The costs associated with PAPER are astronomical. This baffles me. Deincentivize negative life choices like cigarette smoking. Cut the state restrictions on insurance companies and place national reforms on the industry. Tax reform on employer insurance coverage. Tort reform. Voucher, or similar, system with Medicare.
I would also be infavor of an outside the box idea, like enrolling in an exchange of competitive bidding where companies would bid to cover your service. This would be a more free market option, but I'm not sure how it would work.
Trade: Free trade.
Embargo: End the embargo with Cuba. It will push them towards capitalism
Pork: Ban
Subsidies: In favor of them if they will return either a highly beneficial addition to the economy or something that is fantastic, but otherwise impossible.
Military: Cut the waste. Efficiency is key for me in every part of the budget.

Foreign Policy
War: It's a foreign policy tool. One that I would use if needed. That said, I strongly prefer the use of other means to support the interests of this country.
Israel-Palestine: Recognize Israel and negotiate an Arab mega-state similar to the Ottoman Empire and what was being planned with Hussein bin Ali.
Draft: No. No. No.
UN: The UN is fine, but I don't take them seriously. I'd do what I want.
Nukes: Support a world wide proliferation effort.
Foreign Aid: Support nations who need it. These nations do not need hefty sums to derive heavy returns. However, I would generally support a substitution of American products and training aid to nations.

Its really interesting how there is a bigger trend to consider oneself  pro-life but not being interested in arresting people for abortions. A trend for the better in that people are looking for workable and non-violent solutions?
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2014, 04:45:41 PM »

What does it mean for insurance companies to "compete across state lines"? Should there be some sort of law saying that states can't restrict the production or purchase to/from out of state individuals and businesses?

My take on it is that it is a reform that is similar to the savings/loans liberalization of the 80s where South Dakota all the sudden was where everyone got credit cards from.  I could see Wal-Mart getting into the insurance/hospital business, even more so than just $30 nurse station and $4 prescription plans. It could be a way to provide minimal universal coverage through libertarian means or it could mean mass speculation that eventually leads to a bubble, a burst and then monopolization.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2014, 10:32:18 AM »

Social:

Abortion: Illegal, except in cases of rape, incest, and life of the mother. No federal funding. Open to legal abortion in cases where the fetus is known to have severe genetic disabilities (e.g. those that make one have a vegetable-style life), but no further than that.

Gay Marriage: I personally am O.K. with civil unions and am opposed to full marriage, but this is really something that should be left up to states, not activist judges or the federal government.

Drugs: Full legalization of Marijuana with a substantial excise tax, just like we have for Tobacco. Everything else stays illegal, but focus on rehabilitation and not punishment.

Death Penalty: Only if it is a first-degree murder case with irrefutable evidence that the defendant is guilty, approved by at least two jury trials. Dramatically reduce time spent on death row, and switch to far quicker method of death (Personally, I don't really see what's the big deal with beheading. They're going to die no matter what method you use, so why not do a quick beheading rather than a lethal injection that doesn't kill right away and even fails to kill on rare occasions?) .

Gun Control: Expand background checks to all gun shows and the entire internet. Open to assault weapons ban. Nothing else.

Affirmative Action: Opposed. This is just a bunch of prejudice against whites.

Prostitution: Opposed, but would probably just leave it up to the states if I was in the federal government as there are much bigger issues to deal with.

Euthansia: Allowed, but only in cases where the patient and/or all living parents have given willful consent and there is a 0% chance of recovery.

Embryonic Stem Cell Research: Opposed.

Fiscal:

Federal Minimum Wage: Raise gradually ($0.75 - $1) each year towards an ultimate goal of $12. After that, raise each year according to inflation.

Welfare: Yes, but require one to be working or be enrolled in some sort of job training program

Right to Work: Yes, but in a way that still keeps unions intact.

Income Tax: Substantially reduce loopholes and deductions, open to very small rate decrease for those making less than $200,000 (e.g. 1-2%).

FAIR Tax: Opposed

Corporate Tax: Drastically reduce loopholes and deductions, lower top rate to 28%.

Balanced Budget Amendment: Yes. Require a balanced budget by fiscal 2030, with exceptions for declared war that is actually being fought (i.e. congress can't use this exception unless U.S. soldiers are actually fighting in the country we've declared war against), and severe recessions (underemployment >= 15%) .

Healthcare: Keep ObamaCare, but revise it. I have many things in mind: 40 hours, not 30 hours, should be considered full-time, work to dramatically lower premiums, allow a small number of health insurance companies that provide most but not all 'Obamacare-mandated' benefits to still exist for people that don't need full coverage (ex. people that don't need maternity-related services), continue to improve the website, have open enrollment year-long, repeal the medical device tax, forbid business owners from laying off or firing people solely because of Obamacare-related costs, and require all hospitals and doctors to accept insurance policies purchased on the website, no exceptions.

Medicare: Gradually raise retirement age for people under 55.

Social Security: Eliminate payroll tax cap but lower payroll tax rate to 4.2% for those making under $200,000. Gradually raise retirement age for people under 55.

Common Core: Opposed.

Foreign:

Afghanistan: Get Out. We've been there long enough.

Further Action in Iraq: Opposed.

Iran: Leave them alone.

Israel: Continue to be an ally, but respect its sovereignty and do not dictate its foreign or domestic policy.

Syria: Leave them alone.

Cuba: End the travel ban, gradually reestablish U.S.-Cuba trade.

Military Spending: Cut it by $200 Billion immediately, then freeze for 15 years - no exceptions, not even for inflation, unless approved by a 2/3 majority of both houses of congress and the president.

Foreign Economic Aid: I support the 'Newt Gingrich' view here. Eliminate it completely, and then have countries justify why we should give them a penny.

PATRIOT Act: Substantially weaken

Guantanamo Bay: Keep it open, but give potential prisoners a full jury trial in federal court.

Immigration Reform: Support the 'Marco Rubio' plan passed by the U.S. Senate in 2013.

Other:

Keystone XL: Approve as long as U.S. actually uses some of the oil itself rather than exporting all of it.

Electoral College: Abolish, institute NPV with IRV.

Gerrymandering: Eliminate with shortest-splitline method

Congressional Term Limits: 6 terms for the house, 2 for the senate

Statehood of Puerto Rico: Supportive

Voter ID: Opposed. It's biased to favor republican-leaning voters and fraud isn't even a nominal problem on a national scale.

You are more a "mainstream" Conservative Republican than an Independent.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2014, 10:21:13 AM »

Social:

Abortion: Illegal, except in cases of rape, incest, and life of the mother. No federal funding. Open to legal abortion in cases where the fetus is known to have severe genetic disabilities (e.g. those that make one have a vegetable-style life), but no further than that.

Gay Marriage: I personally am O.K. with civil unions and am opposed to full marriage, but this is really something that should be left up to states, not activist judges or the federal government.

Drugs: Full legalization of Marijuana with a substantial excise tax, just like we have for Tobacco. Everything else stays illegal, but focus on rehabilitation and not punishment.

Death Penalty: Only if it is a first-degree murder case with irrefutable evidence that the defendant is guilty, approved by at least two jury trials. Dramatically reduce time spent on death row, and switch to far quicker method of death (Personally, I don't really see what's the big deal with beheading. They're going to die no matter what method you use, so why not do a quick beheading rather than a lethal injection that doesn't kill right away and even fails to kill on rare occasions?) .

Gun Control: Expand background checks to all gun shows and the entire internet. Open to assault weapons ban. Nothing else.

Affirmative Action: Opposed. This is just a bunch of prejudice against whites.

Prostitution: Opposed, but would probably just leave it up to the states if I was in the federal government as there are much bigger issues to deal with.

Euthansia: Allowed, but only in cases where the patient and/or all living parents have given willful consent and there is a 0% chance of recovery.

Embryonic Stem Cell Research: Opposed.

Fiscal:

Federal Minimum Wage: Raise gradually ($0.75 - $1) each year towards an ultimate goal of $12. After that, raise each year according to inflation.

Welfare: Yes, but require one to be working or be enrolled in some sort of job training program

Right to Work: Yes, but in a way that still keeps unions intact.

Income Tax: Substantially reduce loopholes and deductions, open to very small rate decrease for those making less than $200,000 (e.g. 1-2%).

FAIR Tax: Opposed

Corporate Tax: Drastically reduce loopholes and deductions, lower top rate to 28%.

Balanced Budget Amendment: Yes. Require a balanced budget by fiscal 2030, with exceptions for declared war that is actually being fought (i.e. congress can't use this exception unless U.S. soldiers are actually fighting in the country we've declared war against), and severe recessions (underemployment >= 15%) .

Healthcare: Keep ObamaCare, but revise it. I have many things in mind: 40 hours, not 30 hours, should be considered full-time, work to dramatically lower premiums, allow a small number of health insurance companies that provide most but not all 'Obamacare-mandated' benefits to still exist for people that don't need full coverage (ex. people that don't need maternity-related services), continue to improve the website, have open enrollment year-long, repeal the medical device tax, forbid business owners from laying off or firing people solely because of Obamacare-related costs, and require all hospitals and doctors to accept insurance policies purchased on the website, no exceptions.

Medicare: Gradually raise retirement age for people under 55.

Social Security: Eliminate payroll tax cap but lower payroll tax rate to 4.2% for those making under $200,000. Gradually raise retirement age for people under 55.

Common Core: Opposed.

Foreign:

Afghanistan: Get Out. We've been there long enough.

Further Action in Iraq: Opposed.

Iran: Leave them alone.

Israel: Continue to be an ally, but respect its sovereignty and do not dictate its foreign or domestic policy.

Syria: Leave them alone.

Cuba: End the travel ban, gradually reestablish U.S.-Cuba trade.

Military Spending: Cut it by $200 Billion immediately, then freeze for 15 years - no exceptions, not even for inflation, unless approved by a 2/3 majority of both houses of congress and the president.

Foreign Economic Aid: I support the 'Newt Gingrich' view here. Eliminate it completely, and then have countries justify why we should give them a penny.

PATRIOT Act: Substantially weaken

Guantanamo Bay: Keep it open, but give potential prisoners a full jury trial in federal court.

Immigration Reform: Support the 'Marco Rubio' plan passed by the U.S. Senate in 2013.

Other:

Keystone XL: Approve as long as U.S. actually uses some of the oil itself rather than exporting all of it.

Electoral College: Abolish, institute NPV with IRV.

Gerrymandering: Eliminate with shortest-splitline method

Congressional Term Limits: 6 terms for the house, 2 for the senate

Statehood of Puerto Rico: Supportive

Voter ID: Opposed. It's biased to favor republican-leaning voters and fraud isn't even a nominal problem on a national scale.

You are more a "mainstream" Conservative Republican than an Independent.
i'd be laughed out of the republican party because I don't support full repeal of ObamaCare, the Paul Ryan budget, or tax cuts for the wealthy. I'd be laughed out of the democratic party because i'm not fond of obama and because i'm not left enough on social issues or entitlements. I'm also a big proponent of compromise. That's why i'm an independent.

That's probably the full extent that they will get unless SCOTUS vetoes Obamacare or the GOP gets a supermajority and can't reconcile through the Ryan budget in the senate.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2017, 11:50:09 AM »

Only if you don't think Trump should literally be a king. Trump almost sounds like a title than a name.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2018, 09:35:46 PM »

I'm very confused right now. you seem like an alt-right type and yet most of your stated views here are centrist or even slightly left-of-center.

Prolly because I don’t give af about certain social issues, the only ones that really matter to me are trade, immigration and energy... I’ve never been alt-right and it just looks like it cuz I troll 90% of the time. My views might be centrish I guess but ISideWith still has Trump at 84% for me.
You sound moderate on immigration and energy as well, definitely not an alt-right reactionary type.

A lot of moderate alt-right/lite populists come from relatively progressive backgrounds and are  quite moderate outside of nationalism or even racism in some cases. That troll from Sweden that got banned here was a lot like that. I know a kid from KCMO who was like that. Though some of his posts make my head hurt when is justifying his racism or fetishizing guns, he is quite funny.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2019, 10:52:33 AM »

The State must not discriminate based on....political ideology.

as well as a Constitutional provision requiring all politicians who propose redistribution to resign.

ayy lmao

Government employees don't deserve human rights.

WTF?

If you decide to live a life funded by leeching off of the taxpayers, you should be expected to give up certain freedoms.

Funnily, this is how I feel about lives funded by leeching off of one's employees vis-à-vis the right to private property.

The difference, of course, is that everyone has the right to own private property, while government officials are given special privileges that are unmeritocratic and unearned.
Cops?
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2019, 08:19:38 AM »

Social Policy:

Abortion: Pro-life, life of mother exception.
Same Sex Marriage: oppose
Drugs: Legalize medical marijuana.  Oppose recreational drugs. 
Stem Cell Research: Support
Death Penalty: Support only when irrefutable evidence is present.
Gun control: Support background checks, oppose further gun control
Affirmative Action: oppose
Prostitution: oppose
Euthanasia: oppose

Economic Issues:

Minimum Wage: Raise to $10, tie to inflation.  Adjusted anually.
Welfare: Support for short term and disability.  Remove incentives for having more kids.  Free birth control for those who can't afford it.
Right-to-Work: Support
Taxation: Cut middle class taxes.  Raise top marginal tax rate to 40%.  Tax capital gains as income.
 Simplify code to remove loopholes.
Healthcare: Support Medicare and Medicaid.  Subsidies for people too wealthy to qualify for Medicaid.  I oppose single payer strongly though.
Social Security: Preserve it by abolishing contribution cap and adjust payroll tax rate accordingly until it's solvent
Trade: Allow international trade with regulation.  Punish companies who outsource.  Make the US government buy American.       
Education: State issue.  Open up more opportunities for non college bound students. 
Balanced Budget Amendment: Unsure

Foreign Policy and National Security:

Afghanistan: Leave
Iraq: Leave
Iran: Leave
Syria: Leave
Cuba: Keep sanctions
Military Spending: Maintain
PATRIOT Act: oppose
NSA Spying: oppose
Palestine: don't recognize
Israel: support, should not receive free money
Immigration: Deport illegal immigrants.  Abolish birthright citizenship, one parent must be a US citizen for the child to be granted automatic citizenship.  Remove citizenship from anchor babies (meaning both parents are not legal residents) on case-by-case basis.  Cap permanent immigration at 100,000 per year and make it merit based.  Cap immigration from any individual country at 10% of total immigrants to preserve diversity.
Guantanamo Bay: Keep it open

Environment:

Climate Change: Real and manmade.  Support investment into green energy, especially solar and thorium reactors. 
Green Energy: See above
Keystone XL Pipeline: Support

Electoral Reform:

Electoral College: Support
Gerrymandering: Permit
Term limits: support for president
Voter ID: support
Compulsory Voting: oppose
Voter Registration: this is an issue?
Statehood: support DC retrocession into Maryland.  Would support DC statehood, provided that Montgomery, Prince George, Charles and Howard counties of MD and Arlington, Fairfax, Loudoun, Prince William, and Stafford counties of Virginia are included in the state of DC.  Makes sense for DC metro to be a state.

This platform is probably more in line with what the Republican Party should run on post-Trump and almost how it could have run post-Bush if there were no intervening recession that caused the Democrats to go hard left on bread and butter issues. That is, economically centrist, isolationists and very conservative on identity issues except for when they get in the way of our global competitiveness with medicine or engineering (thus being more open to stem cell research and global warming). 
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2019, 07:56:44 AM »

I'm really not sure what most people would call me (presumably, beltway WaPo-style "centrists" would call me alt-right or something, but I doubt that's what most people would say).

Social Policy

Abortion: Mostly pro-choice, but I'm okay with restrictions on 2nd/3rd term abortion (with the typical rape/health exceptions)
Same Sex Marriage: Support
Marijuana: Legalize & tax. Other forms of drug abuse should be treated as a public health issue.
Slavery reparations: 100% opposed
Stem Cell Research: For
Death Penalty: Support
Criminal justice reform: Mixed. Pro-Prison Reform, but against Black Lives Matter
Gun control: Pro-background checks, waiting lists. Against gun bans.
Affirmative Action: Against
Prostitution: Decriminalize
Euthanasia: Decriminalize

Economic Issues

Minimum Wage: Should be $15 or even $20 in high CoL areas. Maybe $10 or $12 in lower CoL areas.
Welfare: Increase spending, especially for working families. End marriage penalty.
Right-to-Work: Neutral
Taxation: Increase taxes significantly to Nordic levels.
Healthcare: Support Obamacare as-is with a public option. Against Medicare for All.
Social Security: Hike payroll taxes to balance.
Trade: Protectionist, support tariffs and other trade barriers until trade becomes more fair or better trade deals can be negotiated.        
Education: Crack down on scammy colleges (most of them). Desegregate schools.
Balanced Budget Amendment: Against
Transportation: Massively expand both private and public transit funding.
Infrastructure: Massively increase spending

Foreign Policy and National Security

U.N: Increase involvement. Only intervene with multilateral support.
NATO: Withdraw
Afghanistan: Withdraw
Iraq: Withdraw
Iran: Withdraw
Russia: Detente
China: Scale down military confrontation (no TPP), but stand ground on economic disputes.
North Korea: Keep relations and personal diplomacy
South Korea: Remove THAAD missile defense system, gradually withdraw troops if and when North Korea agrees to denuclearize.
Cuba: Lift sanctions, foster diplomacy
Military Spending: Cut by 50%.
PATRIOT Act: End
NSA Spying: Abolish NSA and CIA.
Palestine: Withdraw
Israel: Withdraw, but support diplomatically (and maybe sell them surplus arms?)
Immigration: Implement both Trump's plan to increase skilled labor and Obama's path to citizenship.
Guantanamo Bay: Shut it down

Environment

Climate Change: Meh. Certainly a problem, but not one that can really drive objective/quantitative policy-making.
Green Energy: Support (Obama's "all-of-the-above" policy)
Fracking: Support

Electoral Reform

Electoral College: Keep current system
Gerrymandering: Keep current system
Term limits: Oppose
Voter ID: Support only if voter IDs are easy to get.
Compulsory Voting: Support
Voter Registration: Support
Statehood: Puerto Rico, but only if they actually want it. DC probably shouldn't be a state and hell, NoVa shouldn't get to vote either

Just sound like a pragmatic liberal who doesn't care about identity politics. Maybe what would now be considered a "blue dog populist" today.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2019, 10:26:56 AM »

Economics: I'm a believer in free-markets capitalism, but I also support government regulation and intervention, especially in the financial sector. I support taxpayer-funded education and taxpayer-funded healthcare, because the benefits of these programs far outweigh the costs, and sometimes are more cost-effective than private solutions when it comes to providing goods and services that cannot not be correctly quantitated in a liberal and quantitative context. I believe in open competition, open markets, and the free movement of people, goods, and services. I believe in progressive taxation, as well as lowering barriers to economic mobility.

Abortion: Safe, legal, and rare. I would never counsel anyone to have an abortion if their life or health weren't threatened, and if so, I would implore them to terminate their pregnancy as soon as possible. I consider abortion the destruction of a human life, but not a human person, and therefore the well-being of the mother is paramount. I believe forcing a woman to carry a pregnancy to term violates basic human dignity, bodily autonomy, and privacy, and therefore I generally oppose legislative restrictions on abortion in general.

The war on drugs: Prohibition never works. Legalize and tax low-harm substances like marijuana, and for high-harm substances like heroin or meth, criminalize the supply, but not the demand, and focus on treatment and recovery. Pardon everyone currently behind bars for minor drug offenses who haven't committed a violent crime.

LGBTQ issues: I'm bisexual and my spouse is trans. This fight is personal. Gender identity is real. Your sexuality is valid. I do not have this experience but can understand that no one chooses who they are.

Border/Immigration: One of the functions of the modern state is to protect its citizens from external threats. To this end I believe in controlled national borders. However, I also support the free movement of people, and anyone without a criminal background who wishes to enter this country to work, should be allowed to do so. After a time of continuous employment and a clean record, that person should have a path to citizenship. We should enthusiastically welcome refugees for humanitarian reasons and because we are strengthened by diversity.

Nationalism: I really don't give a rip about magic songs and magic banners. America isn't particularly exceptional, but is my home and an extension of my family, and in that regard I am loyal to my country.

Race: We live in a racist society. You can ignore the systemic injustice and implicit, societal bias, or you can work to solve it. Money won't fix this. Government can only do so much. People must change.

Church and state: Build a wall.

Death penalty: Never, under any circumstances.

Gun control: We need to classify firearms according to their danger to the public, and require appropriate licensing and testing for each class. We can respect the 2nd Amendment rights of citizens for self defense, while also protecting the public from the dangers of a completely unregulated market for tools of mass murder. The ultimate goal is to qualify what a "arm" is. People shouldn't be able to drive around in a tank with live ammo or have a .50 BAR nested out of the window of their condo or nested in their front yard. Personally, I am OK with licensed semi-automatic weapons and licensed conceal carry. I'm NOT OK with open carry but am open with there being a federal process for allowing or recognizing state-level rehabilitation of gun rights. Red flag laws are of the most immediate concern at the moment

Prostitution: Criminalize the Johns, decriminalize the sex workers.

Environment: Listen to our scientists. Expand nuclear power. Continue to develop renewable energy. Enact disincentives to fossil fuel extraction, as this is the root cause of climate change.

Foreign policy: Internationalism and cooperation, pro-UN, pro-NATO. We must extract ourselves from our role as world police, but this must be done slowly and carefully, so as not to upset the world order. Our alliances are precious, and we cannot ignore our role as a global superpower.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2020, 10:39:12 PM »

Social Issues: Moderate
Economic Issues: Far-right
Foreign Policy: Dovish
Electoral Reform: Right

Time for an update.

Abortion: Pro-life. Exceptions to rape and danger to the mother.
Same Sex Marriage: None of the government's business. Neither is transgender bathrooms.
Marijuana: Legalize medicinal marijuana, Let the states decide whether to legalize marijuana for recreational use.
Slavery reparations: No
Stem Cell Research: For
Death Penalty: Support for murderers and other high-profile criminals.
Criminal justice reform: Oppose. Criminals are criminals.
Gun control: Don't ban guns. Make sure buyers aren't mentally ill.
Affirmative Action: Against
Prostitution: Don't legalize.
Euthanasia: Okay.

Economic Issues

Minimum Wage: Keep minimum wage as is.
Welfare: Keep as is.
Right-to-Work: Support
Taxation: SLIGHTLY increase taxes for the rich.
Healthcare: Oppose Obamacare.
Social Security: Leave as is.
Trade: Protectionist
Education: Make sure there are better education programs.
Balanced Budget Amendment: Not sure.
Transportation: Massively expand both private and public transit funding.
Infrastructure: Slightly increase spending.

Foreign Policy and National Security

U.N: Withdraw
NATO: Stay in, Only go to war if the US or other allies are attacked.
Afghanistan: Withdraw
Iraq: Withdraw
Iran: Withdraw
Russia: Support better relations
China: Support better relations in general, keep tariffs in place.
North Korea: Keep relations and personal diplomacy
South Korea: Leave, Let NK and SK work on a peace-deal without our involvement.
Cuba: Lift sanctions
Military Spending: Cut down significantly
PATRIOT Act: End
NSA Spying: Abolish NSA and CIA.
Palestine/Israel: Cut down on our support for Israel.
Immigration: Support a border wall.
Guantanamo Bay: Keep it open, Though make sure that no innocent people wind up there.

Environment

Climate Change: Eh
Green Energy: Eh
Fracking: Support

Electoral Reform

Electoral College: Keep current system
Gerrymandering: Oppose
Term limits: Support
Voter ID: Support
Compulsory Voting: Oppose
Voter Registration: Support
Statehood: The US is fine as it is. Let Puerto Rico become it's own country. Don't give DC statehood.

Not quite a "moderate", but definitely a mainstream conservative. Just wanted to comment on this to show people can still be conservative without being aggressively conservative.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2021, 09:14:21 AM »

Prone to extremism of almost any kind

For any particular reason?
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2021, 11:04:49 AM »
« Edited: October 29, 2021, 10:07:24 AM by Person Man »

Ideology
Social: Very Liberal
Economic: Somewhat Liberal
Foreign Policy: Internationalist

Social Policy
Abortion: A matter of personal choice in first trimester, only when a compelling and unforeseen need can be established thereafter. No parental notification for 17 year olds, the DCF should be immediately involved if a child any younger gets pregnant, and the police should be immediately involved if the child is under 14. If Roe goes, so should Hyde.

Same-Sex Marriage: Either recognize all "marriages" or recognize none.

Drugs: Support legalizing marijuana, decriminalizing most other drugs

Death Penalty: Oppose except for war crimes, including treason. Basically only direct and  violent crimes against the whole society should receive the death penalty.

Gun Control: I'm fine with the 2A but open carry is too close too common law criminal menacing and background checks and red flag laws are important. Would let states decides what should be disqualifying in background checks though.

Affirmative Action: Somewhat oppose. I understand the rationale for and against it. I will say if I were hiring a graduate student or an employee, I would consider where they started as well as where they are in making my decisions.

Prostitution: At this point, enforcing laws again it should stop being a priority unless there is actual violence involved or is causing public health issues. I would definitely emphasize treatment. Open to it eventually being legal, taxed, and heavily regulated. Trafficking and Pimping should get mandatory prison sentences and perhaps Life in the worst circumstances.

Euthanasia: I'm against involuntary euthanasia but think there is no dignity in trying to force laws against assisted suicide.

Immigration: I'm open minded on this issue but think fortifying the southern border just causes more harm than good.

Police Issues/Black Lives Matter: Strongly favor police reform. Police need more oversight, and qualified immunity needs to be reduced. Support mandatory body cams. Oppose electing sheriffs. The ultimate goal is to restore public faith in the police from 60% to 90%, providing 100% is not possible. Don’t mess with their funding but get them out of things that they are not intended or designed to do. It’s not that they have too much money, it’s that other agencies have too little.

Ethics in Criminal Justice: End Private Prisons and replace community compensation programs and prosecutors' fees  with higher fines. There should be no financial incentives for particular state agencies or charities that people are punished above and beyond fines.

Free Speech/Political Correctness: Strongly oppose government restrictions on free speech. Don't care much about people getting banned from social media if that is what was meant. I feel like "political correctness" can sometimes go too far, but do not feel that it is too big an issue.

Big Tech: I'm still skeptical of regulation in this area in general, but there needs to be more transparency about how these companies work. I keep hearing stories of people getting kicked off of AirBnb and other services members of the public rely on because of "routine reviews", Twitter algorithms that push white nationalists narratives, and Facebook being used as a slave market in the Middle East.

School Prayer: School Prayer: Allow individual students to pray, but do not allow any adult to lead prayer

Muslim Ban: Oppose.

PATRIOT ACT: Oppose. Additionally would strongly oppose any proposed "PATRIOT ACT II" if Congress tries to pass one after the Capitol Storming.

Economic Issues
Minimum Wage: Raise it. It should be $10.10 in 2008 dollars.. so about $12-13 an hour today. Should be updated yearly to CPI.

Healthcare: Support Biden's plan. I really want a public option but would settle for equitable subsidies where means testing is further graduated and the limit is established that no applicant must pay more than 8% of their gross income for health insurance. A middle class family of making 100000 a year should pay no more than $667 a month for the most expensive insurance available.

Globalization/Trade: Support TPP and NAFTA

Deficit/Debt: Worried more about prices than debt

Campaign Finance Reform: Support. Overturn Citizens United.

Unions: Support fairer workplace elections, letting more people join unions, and ending right-to-work. Open to but not entirely supportive to card-check only union elections.

Defense Budget: Emphasize performance. Not married to either increasing or decreasing the defense budget. Blindly giving defense contractors more and more money is contributing to higher consumer prices, less money for other government programs, and reduced accountability and delivery by defense contractors. No more 6 year 2 billion dollar programs lasting for 20 years and costing 15 billion dollars.

Education: Support Biden's plan but OK with school choice but there should be no variance to the accreditation process for any institution. All publicly funded schools must teach a minimum curriculum.

Taxes: Support raising income and capital gains taxes on the upper brackets. I’m fine with the BBB surcharge model.

Social Security: Full Retirement Age to 69.5, end cap on payroll taxes, map minimum payout to 100% of FPL

Disability: Find a way to simultaneously raise benefits and tighten eligibility criteria

SNAP: Integrate Nutritional Standards into applicability of benefits

Government Defense and Research Contractors: Should be subject to increase scrutiny and more aggressive performance clauses. If no contractor can guarantee performance at a national level, programs should be federalized.

Science and Scholarship:

* Allow Private Student Loans to be discharged in bankruptcy if 2% of the amortization amount of the loans is greater than 10% of the borrower's average monthly income over the last 36 months.
* Require all publicly subsidized mortgage lenders to use the actual amount paid on the credit report of a student loan balance, so long as it is more than zero, in calculating creditworthiness for mortgages.

*Support renewables and nuclear power equally. End fossil fuel subsidies but not licensing. Invest in energy moonshots. .5% of national budget towards nuclear fission, fusion, and renewables research and development.
* Privatize Low Earth Orbit space exploration and development with the goal of having 50 people in space by 2035
* Commit to Subsidies and Deregulation for Space Development Industry
* Either commit to or cancel the Manned Lunar Program. Should have made 1 flight or be canceled by December 31, 2029.
* Have a concrete design architecture for a manned mission to either the vicinity of Venus, the surface or vicinity of Mars, or any other Non-NEO by December 31, 2029.

* Total funding for space research and exploration should be at 1% of Federal Budget

*Rework FDA approval processes for biological, regenerative, neuroprosthetic, gerontological and oncological drugs and medical devices. Commit 1% of national budget to R&D to these areas.

*Artificial Intelligence and Autonomous Systems- .5% of national budget to R&D to these areas to combat Chinese progress.

* Science classes are to be completely secular but electives on religious tradition and theology should be encourage.

* Title IX will be maintained, but not abused. Whether or not someone can stay on campus and stay a student or faculty member is not a criminal justice issue and therefore not completely protected by due process. However, like public school students, I am concerned about schools becoming jails for kids.

Foreign Policy

Iraq: leave a small contingent to prevent the return of ISIL

Afghanistan: I think we should have stayed but now I'm glad we left because I don't think we were committed to staying there forever.

Iran: Support a return to the nuclear deal.

Syria: Continue support for the Kurds.

Cuba: Aim to end the embargo and open up trade with Cuba. Has the dual effect of raising quality of life and weakening the Communist system.

Israel/Palestine: Reduce military support to Israel though I don't think a two state solution is practical anymore.

Russia: Strengthen sanctions, support expansion of NATO, particularly in Ukraine. Oppose outright aggression.

China: Support attempts to isolate China, including economically, though I generally support free trade. Would support a larger American foreign aid and investment program to counter China's investments in infrastructure in Asia and Africa. Support using American power to maintain the status quo with ROC and PRC.

Environment
Climate Change: Support Paris Agreement, carbon taxation, and renewable energy.

Electoral Issues
Gerrymandering: Strongly oppose, support nationwide fair redistricting.

Term limits: Oppose for President and Congress.

Voter ID: Support, conditioned on IDs being free and provided to all Americans. Oppose otherwise.

DC and PR statehoods: Support

SCOTUS: 18 year term limit, staggered for every year. Every nominee gets an up or down vote. If no nominee is  passed in 180 days, President gets to pick and the senate should have to oppose it with 55 votes.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2021, 10:08:58 AM »

Social Issues
Abortion: Pro-life, except for cases of rape and incest
Same-Sex Marriage: Support
Legalization of Drugs: Oppose
Gun Control: Oppose
Prostitution: Oppose, but go after pimps too
Affirmative Action: Oppose
Reparations: Oppose
Police Reform/BLM: Black lives do matter, and I support most kinds of police reform. However, we should increase, not decrease police funding.
Private Prisons: Oppose
Big Tech: Regulate & Break Up.
Free Speech: As long as it doesn't incite violence or spread lies that lead to others getting hurt, you should be allowed to say whatever you want
PATRIOT Act: Repeal
Eminent Domain: Oppose, unless that person's home will more than likely cause damage to others. In the rare case that eminent domain would happen, fair compensation must be provided.
Immigration: Build a wall on the Southern border, increase funding for ICE, repeal DACA, an immigration moratorium for the next 20 years
Mask Mandates: Oppose
Vaccine Mandates: Oppose
COVID-19 Vaccines: They work, and I personally did get vaccinated

Economic Issues
Free Trade: Oppose most free trade agreements
Taxes: Significantly cut for lower and middle classes, slightly raise on the wealthy
Healthcare: Support a voluntary public option for the lower class, but no government-run healthcare for the middle and upper classes
Social Security: Partially privatize
National Debt: Support paying down the national debt, even if that means cuts to social spending, foreign aid, and tax hikes on the wealthy
Campaign Finance Reform: Support
Unions: Support right-to-work legislation
Disability: Tighten eligibility, cut spending
Tarriffs: Raise
Outsourcing: Oppose
Monopolies: Break them Up!

Foreign Policy
Foreign Aid: Dramatically cut. We should not be giving large amounts of our money to other countries when we have poor people here and a national debt
UN Funding: Dramatically cut
WHO: Withdraw
Paris Deal: Withdraw
Afghanistan: We should have withdrawn a lot sooner but in a more orderly fashion. We should have gotten American citizen civilizations out first, and then our military personnel & equipment
Iraq: Should have never been there, to begin with
Iran: Withdraw from the nuclear deal, support sanctions
Cuba: Keep the trade embargo until they become a free country
China: Crack down on this regime. I support sanctions
Russia: Support sanctions

Education
CRT: Oppose
Evolution: We should teach evolution, and not creationism
School Prayer: Allow individual students to pray, but do not allow any adult to lead prayer
Sallie Mae: Disband
Free College: Oppose

Environment
Climate Change: Is real, and is caused by humans
Green New Deal: Oppose, we musn't totally sacrifice our economy for the environment
Carbon Tax: Oppose
Keystone Pipeline: Continue Building

Elections
Big Lie: Oppose. Biden won fair and square.
Voter ID: Should be mandatory and free to all adults who want to vote
Audits: Mandatory if the results are within 5%.
Term Limits: Support for all elected offices
DC: Add DC to Maryland, except for an area of government buildings where no one is allowed to reside in
PR: Support independence
SCOTUS: Should be elected to 8-year terms with no justice being allowed to serve more than 2 terms.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask me

So more or less a mainstream paleocon. Socially not-quite-very conservative, economically somewhat conservative, and isolationist. I’d flip your E-S scores.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2021, 07:57:55 PM »

Social Issues
Abortion: Pro-life, except for cases of rape and incest
Same-Sex Marriage: Support
Legalization of Drugs: Oppose
Gun Control: Oppose
Prostitution: Oppose, but go after pimps too
Affirmative Action: Oppose
Reparations: Oppose
Police Reform/BLM: Black lives do matter, and I support most kinds of police reform. However, we should increase, not decrease police funding.
Private Prisons: Oppose
Big Tech: Regulate & Break Up.
Free Speech: As long as it doesn't incite violence or spread lies that lead to others getting hurt, you should be allowed to say whatever you want
PATRIOT Act: Repeal
Eminent Domain: Oppose, unless that person's home will more than likely cause damage to others. In the rare case that eminent domain would happen, fair compensation must be provided.
Immigration: Build a wall on the Southern border, increase funding for ICE, repeal DACA, an immigration moratorium for the next 20 years
Mask Mandates: Oppose
Vaccine Mandates: Oppose
COVID-19 Vaccines: They work, and I personally did get vaccinated

Economic Issues
Free Trade: Oppose most free trade agreements
Taxes: Significantly cut for lower and middle classes, slightly raise on the wealthy
Healthcare: Support a voluntary public option for the lower class, but no government-run healthcare for the middle and upper classes
Social Security: Partially privatize
National Debt: Support paying down the national debt, even if that means cuts to social spending, foreign aid, and tax hikes on the wealthy
Campaign Finance Reform: Support
Unions: Support right-to-work legislation
Disability: Tighten eligibility, cut spending
Tarriffs: Raise
Outsourcing: Oppose
Monopolies: Break them Up!

Foreign Policy
Foreign Aid: Dramatically cut. We should not be giving large amounts of our money to other countries when we have poor people here and a national debt
UN Funding: Dramatically cut
WHO: Withdraw
Paris Deal: Withdraw
Afghanistan: We should have withdrawn a lot sooner but in a more orderly fashion. We should have gotten American citizen civilizations out first, and then our military personnel & equipment
Iraq: Should have never been there, to begin with
Iran: Withdraw from the nuclear deal, support sanctions
Cuba: Keep the trade embargo until they become a free country
China: Crack down on this regime. I support sanctions
Russia: Support sanctions

Education
CRT: Oppose
Evolution: We should teach evolution, and not creationism
School Prayer: Allow individual students to pray, but do not allow any adult to lead prayer
Sallie Mae: Disband
Free College: Oppose

Environment
Climate Change: Is real, and is caused by humans
Green New Deal: Oppose, we musn't totally sacrifice our economy for the environment
Carbon Tax: Oppose
Keystone Pipeline: Continue Building

Elections
Big Lie: Oppose. Biden won fair and square.
Voter ID: Should be mandatory and free to all adults who want to vote
Audits: Mandatory if the results are within 5%.
Term Limits: Support for all elected offices
DC: Add DC to Maryland, except for an area of government buildings where no one is allowed to reside in
PR: Support independence
SCOTUS: Should be elected to 8-year terms with no justice being allowed to serve more than 2 terms.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask me

So more or less a mainstream paleocon. Socially not-quite-very conservative, economically somewhat conservative, and isolationist. I’d flip your E-S scores.
I took the Political Matrix again, and my Econ score moved 2 points to the left, while my social score moved insignificantly north. Also the social score is going off the standards of the 2000s not 2021

Fair enough.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2022, 02:37:53 PM »

ECONOMIC STUFF

Freedom of business is the best practical way a society can prosper. AGREE
Charity is a better way of helping those in need than social welfare. DISAGREE
Wages are always fair, as employers know best what a worker's labour is worth. DISAGREE
It is "human nature" to be greedy. STRONGLY AGREE
Exploitation" is an outdated term, as the struggles of 1800s capitalism doesn't exist anymore. STRONGLY DISAGREE
Communism is an ideal that can never work in practice. AGREE
Taxation of the wealthy is a bad idea, society would be better off without it. STRONGLY DISAGREE
The harder you work, the more you progress up the social ladder. NEUTRAL
Organisations and corporations cannot be trusted and need regulating by the government. AGREE
A government that provides for everyone is an inherently good idea. DISAGREE
The current welfare system should be expanded to further combat inequality.  AGREE
Land should not be a commodity to be bought and sold. DISAGREE
All industry and the bank should be nationalized. DISAGREE
Class is the primary division of society. AGREE
Economic inequality is too high in the world. STRONGLY AGREE

IS THIS CIVIL RIGHTS?*

Sometimes it is right that the government may spy on its citizens to combat extremists and terrorists. DISAGREE
Authority figures, if morally correct, are a good thing for society. NEUTRAL
Strength is necessary for any government to succeed  AGREE
Only the government can fairly and effectively regulate organisations.  STRONGLY AGREE
Society requires structure and bureaucracy in order to function. STRONGLY AGREE
Mandatory IDs should be used to ensure public safety.NEUTRAL
In times of crisis, safety becomes more important than civil liberties. STRONGLY DISAGREE
If you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear. STRONGLY DISAGREE
The government should be less involved in the day to day life of its citizens.  STRONGLY AGREE
Without democracy, a society is nothing AGREE
Jury nullification should be legal. STRONGLY AGREE
The smaller the government, the freer the people DISAGREE
The government should, at most, provide emergency services and law enforcement. STRONGLY DISAGREE
The police were not made to protect the people, but to uphold the status quo by force. NEUTRAL
State schools are a bad idea because our state shouldn't be influencing our children. STRONGLY DISAGREE
Two consenting individuals should be able to do whatever they want with each other, even if it makes me uncomfortable. STRONGLY AGREE
An individual's body is their own property, and they should be able to do anything they desire to it. STRONGLY AGREE
A person should be able to worship whomever or whatever they want. AGREE (**)

"SOCIAL" AND "CULTURAL" ISSUES

Nudism is perfectly natural. STRONGLY AGREE
Animals deserve certain universal rights.  AGREE
Gender is a social construct, not a natural state of affairs. AGREE
Laws based on cultural values, rather than ethical ones, aren't justice. STRONGLY DISAGREE
Autonomy of body extends even to minors, the mentally ill, and serious criminals   AGREE
Homosexuality is against my values.  DISAGREE
Transgender individuals should not be able to adopt children. DISAGREE
Drugs are harmful and should be banned.  DISAGREE
The death penalty should exist for certain crimes. DISAGREE
Victimless crimes should still be punished. DISAGREE
One cannot be moral without religion.  DISAGREE
Parents should hold absolute power over their children, as they are older and more experienced. DISAGREE
Multiculturalism is bad. NEUTRAL/UNSURE

The police were not made to protect the people, but to uphold the status quo by force. NEUTRAL
-This is the theory that the police weren't formed to uphold ethics or security in society, but to ensure the continuation of the activity of those whom society is ultimately built around.

Jury nullification should be legal. NEUTRAL/UNSURE
-> and what is this? A jury refusing to convict a defendant when the defendant is obviously liable because the law they are accused of violating is unjust, unethical, and/or was wrongly decided to be constitutional
Pages: 1 [2]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies