Summary of political beliefs
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 10:15:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Summary of political beliefs
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 63
Author Topic: Summary of political beliefs  (Read 556507 times)
ian

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: -1.39

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 23, 2005, 01:49:26 PM »

Just because I am interested in knowing y'all a bit better, I think a topic should be made descibing you all and your personal views on politics.  I like the way Sen. WMS has linked his personal views to his signature, and I found his comments very interesting.  So, that's what I'm planning on doing with this post; you should, too.
ian

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: -1.39

« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2005, 02:20:30 PM »
« Edited: December 21, 2005, 06:26:25 PM by ian »

I am a total social libertarian, with the exception that I am pro-life, oppose hate crime legislation, pro-censorship, anti-drug, anti-prostitution, and I don't support any extreme issues, albeit the separation of church and state, where most would consider me to be very extreme (ie taking "under God" out of the pledge of allegiance, "in God we trust" out of money", and the 10 Commandments off of governmentally-run buildings.)

Economically, however, I am much more complicated.  I am an economic moderate/liberal.  On the liberal side, I oppose the modern privization attempts by Republicans, mostly oppose welfare reform (because I feel that it is my job as a human being to help a person live, even if he will not help him/herself), support labor unions, support agricultural subsidies, am pro-environment, strongly in support of affirmative action, oppose tort reform, and oppose school vouchers.  However, my Conservative economic views are these:  I oppose progressive taxation, support a flatter, more fair tax system, I am a deficit hawk, support tax cuts for all, especially the wealthy, and would have supported Bush's tax cuts had the deficit not been so astronomical; I oppose special interest groups getting funding from the government (NASA, I'm talkin' to you!), oppose the pessimistic comments made by the majority of the Democratic party criminalizing the rich, support school choice in a non-voucher system, support the rights of businesses over ethics, oppose big spending in general, oppose efforts to encourage immigration or lessen the amount of years it takes to immigrate, and support protectionism in trade with other countries.  And I have no official opinion on free/fair trade, embargos on China and Cuba, and health care, among several other economic issues I cannot remember at the moment.

And, foreign policy-wise, I'm a dove.  (Although I don't support UN approval to go to war).  Expanding on this, I don't believe that one can go to war with a non-existing country, such as "Terrorism," but military intervention into terrorist networks is advisable.  Oppose Iraq.  As far as Israel and Palestine go, I support offering military aid to Israel if other nations declare war on them for being the only official Jewish nation.  I also believe that Israel treats Palestine unfairly, and Palestinians have just as much a right to live in that country as the Jewish people; it is, after all, both of our holy lands, and I would suggest a separation of church and state to ease tensions in Israel.

So those are my positions on the issues.  Let's hear some of you.
Cashcow

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2005, 03:02:13 PM »

I share the logic and viewpoints of a moderate, but I almost have the mind of a liberal. Economically and socially libertarian but not too far from center either way. Do you want us to type up our feelings on lots of subjects? Why don't you pick out a few?
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2005, 03:02:37 PM »

Socially:  Complete civil libertarian a la Russ Feingold.  Separation of church and state, pro-choice (except 3rd trimester in which case life, rape and health only), strongly opposed to new FCC regulations, favor gay marriage, opposed to the death penalty.  However, being a Philadelphian that knows a lot of cops, Mumia is not a political prisoner and deserves life in prison throw away the key.

Economics:  Generally moderate-left.  Pro-union, favor a progressive tax structure, opposed to maximum capital gains taxes, opposed to privatization of SS, opposed to tort reform.  Trade is a iffy issue for me however.  Based on what I learned in economics, I realize it's beneficial.  In reality, it has proven anything but in some cases, but in some it has worked out very well such as trade with Canada, Sweden, France, Britain, Germany, Japan, and Singapore, etc.  Basically I don't mind helping out a poor country, but at the same time they should try to plut in place labor and environmental stances.  Universal health care is another iffy issue as well.  Our current system with drug prices is HORRIBLE policy and Canada has a better policy here.  I believe in compettition, but at the same time the health industry lobbyists are raking in excessive profits.  I would be in favor of a hybrid system where a portion of one's paycheck is taken out, such as SSI for a choice between basic health plans with an option for extra insurance (prescription drug/vision,dental, etc.) out of one's own pocket which of course would be discretionary.  I could go on for hours about this, but this is basic.  I lean conservative on issues such as welfare reform, Section 8 housing, and affirmative action.  I liked a lot of Clinton's ideas on welfare reform.  There are people who don't work for a living and smoke crack on my tax dollars and also get Section 8 vouchers to live in a decent neighborhood next to paying customers.  Not saying it should be eliminated, but overhauled.  Affirmative action is a tough issue as well because there is some "country club nepotism" among wealthy white males who could be underqualified, BUT I dislike AA because it ignores poor, working class white males who didn't exactly come off the Mayflower (my case an Irish coffin ship).  There is also the fact that white males are held to a ridiculously higher standard when applying for some jobs.  Example, the Philadelphia Police/Fire.  Blacks get 20 POINTS EXTRA on their evaluation just for being black.  Now in that case, the Irish-Italian males have a monopoly on those jobs and can show some nepotism there, but what's fair is fair.  Should be based on scores and aptitude, not nepotism or race.
nini2287
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 2.77, S: -3.39

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2005, 03:40:30 PM »
« Edited: March 24, 2005, 12:43:07 AM by nini2287 »

Socially, I'm conservative on some issues and liberal on others.  I believe abortion should only be legal to save the mother's life.  However, I do support stem cell research so long as it's done responsibly.  I generally support the Patriot Act (although we need to look at specific abuses).  I favor funding of religous charities, so long as it's not shoving Jesus down the throats of those using the services.  I also believe gun control is a state issue (or even a local issue in some states with extensive hunting and crime filled cities, Michigan or Pennsylvania for example).  I also believe in moderate controls on network television and in libraries.  On the other side, I strongly support gay marraige, I am vehemently against the death penalty  and strongly oppose school prayer/displaying of religious icons in public places (Ten Commandments on courthouses).

Economically, I'm more liberal.  I believe in a progressive tax system, and would like to see it become slightly more progressive.  I don't believe we should raise corporate taxes per se, but better enforce tax evading businesses and put limits on deductions.  I oppose affirmative action in the workplace, but slightly support it for college admissions.   I favor a law increasing minimum wage at a constant rate every year.  I think our health care system should be similar to France's in which everyone is given either public or private coverage.  I also am in support of tort reform.  I favor increasing the cap on payroll taxes for social security but we should continue to look at ways to improve the system.  I'm very liberal when it comes to the environment and ANWR drilling.  I also believe we should increase military funding and veteran's benefits.  I am opposed to school vouchers as they take money away from public schools that need it to the most.  I also oppose NCLB  I believe we should keep legal immigration as is an toughen border controls for illegal immigrants because of drug and terrorist concerns.

From a foreign policy standpoint, I strongly disagree with the War in Iraq.  I think we should have waited until the weapons inspectors had finished their job and until we could garner more international support (although in case of emergency, I believe in war without UN support).  However, I do support staying in Iraq as long as necesary to ensure a smooth transition.  I feel this war has hindered America's efforts in rebuilding Afghanistan and taken the focus of more immenent threats such as North Korea and Iran,  as well as humanitarian crises in Rwanda and Sudan.  Although I am Jewish, I don't like either Israel or Palestine and I believe that peace in the region should be a main focus of our foreign policy.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2005, 03:55:51 PM »

Hmm, good question

Socially, I'd describe my self as very conservative.  I oppose the legalization of hard drugs, though I could support marijuana legalization if the government controlled the sale of it, and if exorbitant taxes were put on it.  On abortion, I oppose all abortion, for any reason.  If a mother would hold her own life as more important than the child's she deserves to die.  I also support ex post facto death penalty for abortionists.  I support civil unions for all couples, and I believe that they should receive all benefits of marriage except adoption rights.  No child should have to have two gay parents.  On the death penalty, I support tougher standards for evidence. Scott Peterson should not be put on death row based on circumstancial evidence, neither should anyone else.  I do favor the introduction of more painful ways of death.  The present system of poisoning them while they are asleep is pitiful.  Babies are slaughtered by riping pieces of their bodies off, so should those on death row.

Economically, I favor massive reforms in the education system.  I'd give schools the right to permenantly expel repeatedly misbehaving children from the public school system. I also support vouchers for every student.  Vouchers bring competition to education, and competition is always the best way to make things better.  I favor privitisation of all federal and state owned services.  Amtrak, power systems, public transportation.  Once again competition makes things better. On social security, I favor eliminating the system all together.  Eliminate payroll taxes, and let people do whatever they want with the money they get back.  The poor already have welfare.  I favor a reducation in taxes for those making under 250,000 a year back to a maximum of 25%.  I still am undecided as to a flat tax.  For those making over 250,000, their rate will rise to 40%.  All capital gains taxes will be eliminated to make up for the income tax raise.

Foreign policy wise, I'm a hawk.  I believe in the complete independence of our military from international obligations.  I favor a strong military policy that shows the world that America is ready and willing to engage terrorists, rogue states, and those that threaten our allies.  I favor responding to any North Korea attack my immediately nuking the North Korean infrastructure, cities, towns, supply dumps, ports, etc.  
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2005, 05:37:11 PM »

social issues:  fairly liberal.  support legal abortions, support gay marriage, support affirmative action, support gun control, oppose the death penalty.

economics:  i support the free market and free trade.  period. 

foreign policy:  fairly hawkish.  pro-israel.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2005, 05:38:37 PM »

Then why were you complaining about a flat tax about a week ago?
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2005, 05:40:50 PM »

Then why were you complaining about a flat tax about a week ago?

the flat tax and flat tax proponents go out of their way to be cruel to those less fortunate.

the system is cruel enough as it is, not that i lose any sleep over poor people (and im not going to pretend otherwise), but no use rubbing salt in the wounds.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2005, 05:43:08 PM »

It's about fairness. If everyone has a stake in lower taxes, the free market benefits. No 'tax the rich' schemes.

Anyway, that plan actually exempted a generous amount of money.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2005, 05:45:39 PM »

It's about fairness. If everyone has a stake in lower taxes, the free market benefits. No 'tax the rich' schemes.

Anyway, that plan actually exempted a generous amount of money.

well i do believe in a graduated income tax.  the rich should pay more than those of lower classes.

however, many, if not most liberals, want to punish the rich with ridiculous tax rates.  i find that pretty repulsive.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2005, 05:46:23 PM »
« Edited: March 23, 2005, 05:49:27 PM by Marxism-Leninism-Maoism »

I'm a Marxist-Leninist activist for revolutionary intercommunalism. I'm also an avid student of economics and philosophy. I love history. I read all the time. I live in the ghetto.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2005, 05:47:04 PM »

The rich pay more than those in lower classes under the flat tax.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2005, 05:54:32 PM »

Social: I'm a libertarian. I believe the government should stay out of issues of morality unless it is a matter of negatively impacting others. On abortion, I am pro-life, although I hate those who go around calling pro-choice people "murderers." This is not productive to me.

Economic: Left-leaning libertarian. I believe the government should stay out of business issues unless they are directly and negatively impacting people in a significant way. The government should focus less on quotas, and more on prosecuting bad companies. Good corporate citizenship should be rewarded with tax breaks and logos usable for advertising. I believe taxes are necessary to allow the government to function, although they should be relatively low. Welfare should only be for those who truly need it.

Foreign Policy: Think before you jump and, if you jump, be honest about it. This is a primary reason why I disagree with the Bush administration - an important part of foreign policy is being honest about when you screw up and how you will correct it. The ends should not justify the means.

I never knew you were a libertarian! Welcome to the club; you should join the Republican Party.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2005, 07:21:35 PM »

I'm a Social and Economic Conservative. I am 100 percent pro-life [including the Death Penalty and euthenasia]. I oppose gay marriage and judicial activism. I believe that a government that governs least governs best.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2005, 07:37:26 PM »

Social and economic libertarian. I believe that most government services and laws should be provided at the state or local level, as they are easier to reform or get rid of them as is necessary, plus one size fits all federal programs tend to do poorly. Leave people be and keep taxes low.

Foreign Policy: For the most part, leave other nations to their own affairs. Trade with pretty much anyone to ensure peace. Only attack other nations when attacked or when they make unprovoked, conquest based attacks on other nations - if they don't respect the sovereign borders of their neighbors, they won't respect ours if they ever become strong enough to take us.
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2005, 08:09:48 PM »

I am a paleo-conservative Christian who believes in indivdual responsibilty and making corporations play by the same rules as everyone else with a "realist" foreign policy.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2005, 09:11:55 PM »

I appear to have sparked a modest trend. Shocked

The different flavors of moderation are very interesting...

...and don't forget: for the full effect, put a link to your post in your signature. Wink
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 1.84, S: -8.09

« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2005, 10:15:40 PM »

Social Issues: Very liberal, although political compass says I'm moderate. I am 100% Pro-Choice. I am against seperate but equal ideas, so I support SSM.

Economic Issues: I am moderate-to-conservative here. The spending is insane in our government, and we don't know where it's going. I support low taxes, but not everybody's taxes can be low with a debt this colossal. I support free trade 100%.

Military Issues: "Speak softly and carry a big stick, you will go far"- T.R. That explains my beliefs here. An unstoppable military and a strong diplomacy. I support the war in Afghanistan. The war in Iraq was flawed when concieved, but the results (as in voting) are fantastic, so I now believe it was worth it. I never thought it would turn out this way.

Social Security- I am against privatization, but I believe you should be allowed to add extra money to your account, but keep a minimum %.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2005, 10:37:13 PM »

Hmmm...  I'm bound to forget my beliefs on some things, but here it is:

Social:  I am against abortion, except in rape or incest or endangerment of the mother's life.  I am fundamentally against gay marriage, civil unions, hate crimes and all this other garbage.  My caveat here is that I believe that all of this should be left up to the states.  The federal govt., the courts, etc. should stay out of these two issues.   This means overturning Roe v. Wade, Lawrence v. Texas, etc.  DOMA is still the best solution for the gay marriage issue, though I fear it will be overturned someday.  Only (and I repeat only) in that situation will I support a constitutional amendment.

I am anti-euthanasia (and I believe the Constitution strictly outlaws it), but am pro-death penalty for serious crimes; though my position on that has gone to the left over the years to me, there are just some crimes that do deserve the death penalty, sad to say.  This whole Terri Schiavo thing does make me re-think that, because this innocent woman is receiving a much more horrible death than any death row criminal.

I am actually in support of school prayer (which might surprise some people), but this is should be a state issue.  I oppose affirmative action, but this is also a local issue for me.  I am pro-marijuana legalization and drug legalization in general, but once again it should be left up to the states.  I think the drinking age should be lowered to 18.  I think the anti-smoking advocates are far too powerful and that we shouldn't be outlawing smoking in public places.

I am in favor of vouchers.  Prostitution should be illegal, gambling should not. (both state issues, imo)  I oppose Internet filtering in schools and public libraries.  I oppose prescription drug importation from Canada.

Economic:  I support strong spending cuts and putting those towards eliminating the federal budget deficit and debt.  Chief of those programs to eliminate to me are Medicaid and the prescription drug plan for Medicare, as pointless socialism.  The health care funding issue is in many ways a more pressing issue than Social Security and the continued intereference of government in these things and the power of malpractice lawyers will continue to drive prices up ridiculously.

I do not support tax cuts at this time (except maybe some targeted ones), nor do I support tax raises, except if a separate higher tax bracket were created for those who make over $1,000,000 a year.  This would keep nearly all small business owners out of the higher tax brackets, which a raise for simply the higher tax bracket wouldn't.

Tax simplification, at a revenue-neutral basis, would be a very good thing in the long haul.  I would support a flat tax, but I don't think it is feasible in the present-day US.  Tax simplifcation might be.

I am for trying to eliminate corporate loopholes, though I recognize eliminating them may create new ones.  I continue to support the welfare reform that Clinton signed at present.

I am anti-Balanced Budget amendment, anti-term limits and pro-Line-item veto.

I am for a total privatization in certain government programs, like Amtrak, postal service, etc.

Foreign Policy:  Fundamentally, I am a old-school realist, but I realize that the War on Terror has changed a lot of our prior assumptions.  This is one of the reasons why I supported Bush, though I despise his domestic policy.  For that, I did and do still support our actions in Iraq and Afghanistan, but I certainly do think that at some point soon our troops will have to come home.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2005, 10:40:00 PM »
« Edited: March 23, 2005, 10:50:30 PM by Sheliak5 »

Social Issues: Against partial-birth abortion, but other than that support a woman's right to choose. Pro Same-Sex Marriage. Against Affirmative Action in any way shape or form, it is nothing but reverse racism. 100% organized school prayer, the though pledge thing was a bit much. I think Marijuana should be legalized and taxed. If people want to be stupid, they have a right to be. Drinking age should be lowered. Prostitution should be legal in certain places, though they should be kept away from schools. I believe all child molesters should be kept in an isolation cell for the rest of their lives. I personally oppose internet filtering, but believe it should be left up the schools. Homeschooling annoys me and I think it really hurts kids, but if the parent and child both wish to do it, it isn't my business.

Economics: Pro free-trade. I have no real problem with partial privatization of social security so long as it is done slowly and carefully. I support universal healthcare as well, but that is probably my only liberal economic position. Not much else really, I don't care about economic issues as much as most people.  

Foreign Policy: I believe the Iraq war was a mistake. Usually, it depends on the situation.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2005, 10:44:47 PM »

Social: Raging Social Liberal (Save Abortion...I'm marginally prolife). One should be able to do whatever he or she likes, unless it has a direct negative impact on someone else. The state better have a compelling interest before it even considers some sort of social regulation.

Fiscal: Center Right. In favor of a progressive tax system thats fair, but also for lowering the tax burden on as many people as possible. For a social safety net, but to a smaller degree than currently in place. For empowerment...giving people the tools to do the job, rather than doing the job for them.

nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2005, 10:48:26 PM »

Social: Very liberal. Completely pro-choice, pro-gay marriage, anti-censorship, anti-death penalty. Support separation of church and state.

Economic: Very liberal. Increase taxes on the rich and create a greater safety net for the poor.

Foreign: Against virtually all wars. Oppose draft and selective service. Liberalize immigration policy.
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 1.84, S: -8.09

« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2005, 10:58:17 PM »

Against Affirmative Action in any way shape or form, it is nothing but reverse racism.
Not to attack your opinion, but what about hiring more women? I have met many women who say they missed out on a job because they are a woman.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2005, 11:08:31 PM »

You see, than in that case, the company would have been choosing a man because he was a man Therefore whoever it was, was putting put men over women. Sex shouldn't come into it at all. If the man is more fit for the job than the woman, the man should be hired and vice versa. Companies shouldn't make their decisions on the person's race or sexuality (whether it be favoring men or women), they should make them on the person's abilites to to their job.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 63  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies