Official Atlas Community Poll: Do you support banning opebo?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2024, 02:32:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Official Atlas Community Poll: Do you support banning opebo?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 13
Poll
Question: Do you support banning opebo?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 209

Author Topic: Official Atlas Community Poll: Do you support banning opebo?  (Read 24788 times)
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 06, 2014, 12:34:11 AM »

Let's discuss this as a forum community with as little hostility as possible.

Inks, please don't delete this. I'm just trying to gague the forum's opinion on this forum issue.
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 12:36:14 AM »

Write-in: I support a fair infraction system where Opebo would be infracted for doing anything that a newbie would be infracted for. If that results in his banning, so be it.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 12:37:20 AM »

No, of course not. Even if opebo weren't a forum institution, he's done nothing on the forum worthy of a banning.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2014, 12:40:01 AM »

Write-in: I support a fair infraction system where Opebo would be infracted for doing anything that a newbie would be infracted for. If that results in his banning, so be it.

Fair enough. Maybe I should have included an "other" option but I kind of just wanted to see how people feel about where things stand at this moment since it sounds like he'll be banned in a matter of days.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2014, 12:41:18 AM »

Well newbies won't be infracted for 8 year old posts or comments made on other forums.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2014, 12:42:41 AM »

I think everyone supports that. But opebo has never even racked up the 50 points necessary to be muted as far as I know, much less come close to 100. That's why they're trying to look for other avenues through which to ban him.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2014, 12:44:24 AM »

I think the last controversy was one of his signatures (which I never saw.) However it was simply requested that opebo change it and he did.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2014, 12:45:38 AM »

No. And jmfcst should be brought back, for the same reason.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2014, 12:46:38 AM »

No
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2014, 12:47:59 AM »

When was opebo banned?
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2014, 12:50:30 AM »

No I do not.
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2014, 12:52:44 AM »

I think everyone supports that. But opebo has never even racked up the 50 points necessary to be muted as far as I know, much less come close to 100. That's why they're trying to look for other avenues through which to ban him.

'equals before the law' is always a fiction and should absolutely not be policy on a message board.  as Xahar said,

I think that older posters should be given more leeway than newer ones, so no.

Well newbies won't be infracted for 8 year old posts or comments made on other forums.
Which is why I don't support infractions for that.

Why was Jmfcst banned?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2014, 12:53:40 AM »

jmfcst got banned because he went out of his way to get banned.  That's something he himself has acknowledged.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2014, 12:59:44 AM »

No.  I do not support the reactionary destruction of the Atlas Forum.  This is all so outrageous.  The anti-opebites were nothing more than wolves waiting to pounce at any opportunity and "the sig" was it.  I hope they are proud.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2014, 01:04:12 AM »

Inks, please don't delete this. I'm just trying to gague the forum's opinion on this forum issue.

I have no problem with this thread.  But keep it honest.  If you start spouting crap about he's being banned for something he did 8 years ago, I'm not going to allow you to mislead the forum in an attempt to rally people to your "side".
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2014, 01:04:24 AM »

No; I'm generally against banning Forum institutions regardless.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2014, 01:07:57 AM »

Yes

The fact of the matter is that opebo has been given about a dozen "final warning" over the years and he's always gotten "one more chance" time and time again because we've been so hesitant to ban someone who has been a poster for so long. He honestly should have been banned a long time ago. It won't be a mistake to ban him now; the only mistake is that we haven't already done so.

I realize this will certainly be the least popular thing I've ever posted but that's kind of why I'm saying it. We moderators have been too concerned with "PR" and making popular decisions out of fear of everyone bitching at us, instead of making the right decisions so that the forum can be a good place for everyone. You all know why opebo should be banned and if you were in my shoes you damn well know you'd be making the same decision.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2014, 01:08:17 AM »

I have no problem with this thread.  But keep it honest.  If you start spouting crap about he's being banned for something he did 8 years ago, I'm not going to allow you to mislead the forum in an attempt to rally people to your "side".

Unfortunately we have no idea why opebo is being banned. And I get the impression that the moderating team hasn't come up with an official reason yet either.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2014, 01:12:59 AM »

Yes

The fact of the matter is that opebo has been given about a dozen "final warning" over the years and he's always gotten "one more chance" time and time again because we've been so hesitant to ban someone who has been a poster for so long. He honestly should have been banned a long time ago. It won't be a mistake to ban him now; the only mistake is that we haven't already done so.

I realize this will certainly be the least popular thing I've ever posted but that's kind of why I'm saying it. We moderators have been too concerned with "PR" and making popular decisions out of fear of everyone bitching at us, instead of making the right decisions so that the forum can be a good place for everyone. You all know why opebo should be banned and if you were in my shoes you damn well know you'd be making the same decision.

NO!  That's the point.  We don't!
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2014, 01:13:28 AM »

I have no problem with this thread.  But keep it honest.  If you start spouting crap about he's being banned for something he did 8 years ago, I'm not going to allow you to mislead the forum in an attempt to rally people to your "side".

Unfortunately we have no idea why opebo is being banned. And I get the impression that the moderating team hasn't come up with an official reason yet either.

Any answer that the moderating team "comes up with" is largely irrelevant.  The decision is Nym's and/or Dave's.  The mods can give input.  I've given mine; I've been giving mine for months in support of a ban.  Here are my reasons; I speak for myself, and if opebo is ever banned, it may not be for any of these reasons--as I said, it's solely up to Nym and/or Dave:

• He has posted sexually oriented material multiple times (sometimes using nudity and graphic language).
  • He has followed the letter of previous warnings and admonitions while violating the spirit of them (and he knows what the spirit of those warnings was).
  • When he posted his nipple-hidden-in-the-hair picture, he directly violated the warning in the Hot Girls thread, and while he originally claimed he didn't see it, after I pressed him further, he admitted to posting it because he thought a nipple was not a "big deal".
  • Throughout his time on the forum, he has gone out of his way to embellish his forum persona, whether through more-than-normal details of his sexual exploits or pretending to be more technology-challenged than he actually is.
  • He has taken the mods good-faith attempts to help him stay on the forum and thrown them back in our face, portraying himself as an innocent victim and completely unaware why we are "targeting" him, when he knows very well why it is that we've given him his warnings.
  • He has, in the past, blatantly lied about moderator actions in order to sway posters to join his cause.

In short, he's a troll.  He does what he does because he knows it will create a reaction.  Yes, some of what he says is true and what he actually believes, but for the most part, opebo is who he is because he craves attention, even if that means he has to get attention through means that cause harm to the forum and its overall community.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2014, 01:14:16 AM »

I have no problem with this thread.  But keep it honest.  If you start spouting crap about he's being banned for something he did 8 years ago, I'm not going to allow you to mislead the forum in an attempt to rally people to your "side".

Since I made the poll/thread, I'll remain impartial in THIS thread. Although I'm curious as to what the official reason for the banning will be (assuming he is banned).
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2014, 01:14:58 AM »

Jesus christ, you're banning someone partly because he's embellished his forum persona? WTF
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2014, 01:15:29 AM »

Since I made the poll/thread, I'll remain impartial in THIS thread. Although I'm curious as to what the official reason for the banning will be (assuming he is banned).

See my post directly above, but remember that I am just as unaware as you are.  I don't know what goes on in Nym's or Dave's head any more than you.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2014, 01:16:16 AM »

Jesus christ, you're banning someone partly because he's embellished his forum persona? WTF

I'm not banning anybody.  I can't ban anybody.  Embellishing his forum persona is just a small part of why opebo is a troll, but it is further proof that he is in fact a troll.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2014, 01:16:41 AM »

Every post is to garner attention in some way. That's the point of a message board.

And why has Joe not been banned for vandalizing another poster's signature with a nude photo?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 13  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies