Opinion of Oktibbeha County, Mississippi
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 08, 2024, 07:50:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Opinion of Oktibbeha County, Mississippi
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
Freedom County

Horrible County

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 27

Author Topic: Opinion of Oktibbeha County, Mississippi  (Read 3721 times)
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 26, 2013, 11:50:30 PM »

Welcome to Oktibbeha County Mississippi!

Oktibbeha County is...

• Home to Mississippi State, the state's largest and most selective university and the SEC's premier agricultural university.
  • Where you'll find the Cotton District, North America's oldest New Urbanist community.
  • Mississippi's most "progressive" county, where the mayor and 6/7 city councillors are Democrats and the county voted for Obama even though its 62% White VAP in the Deep South!  It's also the only place in the state where you can buy liquor by the glass on Sunday.
Thoughts?

Here some pics for y'all...

Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2013, 12:05:19 AM »

If I could live in any county in the USA, it would be Oktibbeha.  Hands down.
Flake
JacobTiver
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2013, 12:10:45 AM »

The best county in Mississippi.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2013, 12:14:48 AM »

Freedom County.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2013, 07:12:45 AM »

Yeah, but that's like saying a meal was Bushie's healthiest of the year.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2013, 08:08:20 AM »

Not to beat up on Mississippi, but I don't understand what makes the place much more than a second-rate university town (the town, not the university.)  Just looking around:

1. Yelp lists like ten good restaurants, which isn't much for a college town.

2. Other amenities (entertainment and nightlife) seem even thinner on the ground.

3. All of the amenities basically seem to be in the college strip.  Speaking as someone whose closest entertainment hub is the University District, sometimes it's nice to have the option to get away from college students.

4. Not much of a downtown.  Besides the college businesses, the place looks a little depressed.  For a college town, it doesn't seem particularly vibrant or pedestrian-accessible.  It gets very suburban very quickly, and although the suburbs look pretty, again, they look pretty standard for an average college town.

5. The Cotton District has a really cool history, but as new urbanist communities go, it's fallen behind by modern standards.  It doesn't appear to have its own grocery store, for instance.

I'm not big on Mississippi for totally subjective reasons, but looking objectively, I don't really see why Starkville is a particularly great place.  It certainly has some interesting-looking festivals and other things going for it (low crime rate, the university obviously) but...meh?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2013, 02:39:25 PM »

Most southern states have their librul college town.

Can someone explain to me why Tuscaloosa is so Republican?
kcguy
Romania

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2013, 02:56:41 PM »

My college best friend is a prof at Miss State, so I vote Freedom County.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2013, 02:59:31 PM »

Not to beat up on Mississippi, but I don't understand what makes the place much more than a second-rate university town (the town, not the university.)  Just looking around:

2. Other amenities (entertainment and nightlife) seem even thinner on the ground.

3. All of the amenities basically seem to be in the college strip.  Speaking as someone whose closest entertainment hub is the University District, sometimes it's nice to have the option to get away from college students.

4. Not much of a downtown.  Besides the college businesses, the place looks a little depressed.  For a college town, it doesn't seem particularly vibrant or pedestrian-accessible.  It gets very suburban very quickly, and although the suburbs look pretty, again, they look pretty standard for an average college town.

5. The Cotton District has a really cool history, but as new urbanist communities go, it's fallen behind by modern standards.  It doesn't appear to have its own grocery store, for instance.

I'm not big on Mississippi for totally subjective reasons, but looking objectively, I don't really see why Starkville is a particularly great place.  It certainly has some interesting-looking festivals and other things going for it (low crime rate, the university obviously) but...meh?
Also, they arrested Johnny Cash once. That's got to count against the place.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2013, 09:39:14 PM »

Johnny Cash was arrested in seven places.  He only wrote a song about one. 
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2013, 05:01:37 AM »

There's a reason for that, presumably! Grin
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2013, 10:06:55 AM »

You've got it backwards. The city is very proud to be associated with him as had (still have? I'm not sure) a Johnny Cash Festival a few years ago: http://www.festivals.com/viewevent.aspx?eventid=lcjDvD3GtnY%3D
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2013, 10:53:48 AM »

a place that only stands out because it is a small beacon of light in an otherwise benighted place.

overall freedom county.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2013, 12:36:21 PM »

I posted about Starkville a few times.  The first time was when I noticed that you can only buy hot beer there.  I think my most recent about Starkville was on Harry's 21st birthday. 

Oh, by the way, Happy Birthday old man.  I notice that you can actually buy cold beer in Starkville now, even though Oktibbeha's elected board of supervisors had made it illegal for many years for liquor stores to sell cold beer there.  I always found it weird that you could get a case of beer anywhere in Oktibbeha county, but they never refrigerated it.  It's a good thing that the Mississippi State Supreme court ruled in 2004 that there was nothing in the state's constitution that allowed the Oktibbeha county board of supervisors to regulate the temperature at which beer is sold.

There's also some discussion of Starkville in this thread:

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=27467.0

And this one:

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=35210.msg796849#msg796849

I can't seem to find the post I made about meeting god in the Dollar Tree in Starkville.  She was a black woman.  I was really struck by the encounter.  I don't even really believe in god most of the time but there she was, brightly-colored kaftan dashiki dress, matching hat, golden halo and all, giving me advice.  I never was really totally convinced that it was god, but then I was never totally convinced that it wasn't.  I must have made a thread about it. 

Anyway, I'll have to abstain from voting in this thread.  I'm not really crazy about Oktibbeha county, and it's not a place I'd go out of my way to visit, but the supreme court of the state of Mississippi keeps them from getting too weird with their laws so it's not downright horrible.  Also, as I mention, god may well live in Starkville, Mississippi, which probably also keeps it from being horrible.

Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2013, 01:50:01 PM »
« Edited: December 28, 2013, 01:53:44 PM by Harry »

FWIW Sunday alcohol sales were legalized in Starkville in 2009ish, and it's one of just a few cities in Mississippi to allow it.  I'm not sure when cold beer was legalized, but I know it was available while I was there.

Starkville was also the first Mississippi city to enact a public smoking ban, which I believed happened in 2005ish.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2014, 12:33:08 AM »

Boom! Starkville becomes the first city in Mississippi to officially adopt a pro-LGBT rights stance:

http://www.cdispatch.com/news/article.asp?aid=30540&TRID=1
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2014, 02:26:27 AM »

Boom! Starkville becomes the first city in Mississippi to officially adopt a pro-LGBT rights stance:

http://www.cdispatch.com/news/article.asp?aid=30540&TRID=1
You must be logged in to read this quote.

I don't think you need to convince us that Starkville is the most socially liberal city...in Mississippi Tongue
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies