Rich People
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 02:28:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Rich People
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: What do you think about this class?
Bloodsucking parasites

Hard working Job Ceators

Other - please specifiy

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 70

Author Topic: Rich People  (Read 1691 times)
opebo
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 25, 2013, 01:42:53 PM »

Just curious.  What is the role of those we all serve?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2013, 01:49:25 PM »

How exactly am I serving them right now?

As for the question, as we all know, collective labels are idiotic.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2013, 02:39:55 PM »

for the most part, option 2.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2013, 02:44:35 PM »

Blatantly ignoring the stickied thread eh?
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2013, 02:45:08 PM »

This.  Never thought I'd agree with you so strongly on anything.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2013, 03:11:52 PM »

We should stop dividing people by class. Ultimately all classes have good and bad elements. And complete love or hatred based solely on class is absurd.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2013, 03:26:15 PM »

Rich people, like all privileged people, need to acknowledge their privilege and do their share to build an egalitarian society. When they fail to do that, they are HP.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2013, 03:27:32 PM »

Bloodsucking parasites (normal)
Redalgo
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2013, 04:07:39 PM »

I agree with Antionio, though if they fail to do their proper part I continue to consider them comrades - ones who have gone awry and are in need of some guidance - rather than HP.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2013, 04:10:43 PM »

Depends how they became rich.

Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2013, 04:11:55 PM »

I'd say both... some are hard working and have created jobs and wealth for others.

These people are too busy working to have any real say in politics.  So you get the blood sucking parasites who use this other, smaller, group to justify their actions.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2013, 04:15:56 PM »

Depends on their conduct. Its absurd to classify such a broad group of people.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2013, 04:31:05 PM »

Where did most of the people on this forum come up with their conception of rich people as all gathering in secret rooms at regular intervals to explicitly plot ways to make the lives of everyone else as miserable as possible?

One of my friends in high school's father was the CEO of a major oil and gas pipeline company. I looked his compensation up on their website once and it was in the eight figures when you included bonuses and stock options.

I never heard this guy say a word about anything politically related; looked his name up on Open Secrets and he has never made any campaign contributions. He was in his office at 7 every morning and usually didn't get home until around 7 at night. He didn't spend all day lounging around a country club sipping scotch and wondering what ways he could abuse the employees.

He was just someone who grew up in an ordinary family, went to college, got an engineering degree, and over the years, through a combination of diligence, luck and timing, became a CEO. That doesn't mean he deserves to pay a lower effective tax rate than his secretary. But your caricature of him and people like him as a "blood sucking parasite" has about as much merit and justification as Krazen's characterization of all public employees as "moochers."
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2013, 04:59:37 PM »

The category is far too broad and ill-defined to ever be defined as one, and both choices are far too narrow. Voted for the second option, but more out of opposition to the first than a belief that the second is universally the case.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2013, 05:01:48 PM »

Where did most of the people on this forum come up with their conception of rich people as all gathering in secret rooms at regular intervals to explicitly plot ways to make the lives of everyone else as miserable as possible?

It's not so much that they're plotting or trying to make people's lives miserable. It's that they don't give a crap if they have to do so in order to increase their bottom line.

Again, not saying all rich people are like that, so this poll is a false dichotomy. I picked "other", as I think most rich people are greedy and need to give back to their country that gave them opportunities more than they do, but not all of them are like that.
Flake
JacobTiver
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2013, 05:02:40 PM »

One of my friends in high school's father was the CEO of a major oil and gas pipeline company. I looked his compensation up on their website once and it was in the eight figures when you included bonuses and stock options.

I never heard this guy say a word about anything politically related; looked his name up on Open Secrets and he has never made any campaign contributions. He was in his office at 7 every morning and usually didn't get home until around 7 at night. He didn't spend all day lounging around a country club sipping scotch and wondering what ways he could abuse the employees.

He was just someone who grew up in an ordinary family, went to college, got an engineering degree, and over the years, through a combination of diligence, luck and timing, became a CEO. That doesn't mean he deserves to pay a lower effective tax rate than his secretary. But your caricature of him and people like him as a "blood sucking parasite" has about as much merit and justification as Krazen's characterization of all public employees as "moochers."

This sums up my views.
Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.03, S: -8.87

« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2013, 05:04:29 PM »

opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2013, 05:25:39 PM »

Blatantly ignoring the stickied thread eh?

Not at all.  Definitions of economic class is are functions of all political ideologies.  I'm sure Torie didn't mean to disallow discussion of Marxism in his sticky.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2013, 06:02:04 PM »

Rich people, like all privileged people, need to acknowledge their privilege and do their share to build an egalitarian society. When they fail to do that, they are HP.

I agree with the first part- that, certainly, the rich are privileged and ought to acknowledge/respect that in their thoughts and attitudes.

I don't know exactly what you mean to say by the second part, but I suspect that I can't really support it as a blanket obligation.  I am unwilling to judge people for devoting their limited time and energy to things other than political action.
Sec. of State Superique
Superique
Brazil

« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2013, 06:05:18 PM »

Other - a mix of both options!
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2013, 06:42:21 PM »

I don't know exactly what you mean to say by the second part, but I suspect that I can't really support it as a blanket obligation.  I am unwilling to judge people for devoting their limited time and energy to things other than political action.

I mean it in a fairly minimalistic way, ie mainly paying their taxes without complaining and not voting for plutocratic parties like the GOP. Giving money to charities is a plus, though not a big one.
Peter the Lefty
Peternerdman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2013, 06:52:00 PM »

I'm with Tony here.  I've met too many rich people who are actually nice and well-meaning to label them as blood-sucking parasites (though I accidently voted hard-working job creators in the poll).  No label can apply broadly to a demographic group like that. 
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2013, 06:52:44 PM »

These are my views pretty much.
Mordecai
Australia

« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2013, 06:54:35 PM »

Depends on the particular individual. Those who built companies from the ground up and made a product that people wanted while creating jobs are Hard working Job Ceators. Those who inherited their wealth and benefited from the welfare state, then turned around and ed things up for the later generations with trickle-down economics while claiming to have hard-earned every penny, are Bloodsucking parasites.
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2013, 07:17:52 PM »

As I've previously stated, I don't hate the rich, I despise the process in which income inequality can be created. Stereotyping any class is equivalent to stereotyping a race.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies