Ukraine Crisis
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 09, 2024, 03:55:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Ukraine Crisis
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 72
Author Topic: Ukraine Crisis  (Read 235966 times)
Peeperkorn
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 0.65, S: -6.78

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #400 on: March 01, 2014, 11:34:25 PM »
« edited: March 01, 2014, 11:36:17 PM by Mynheer Peeperkorn »

I think that the better way of ending all this trouble is allowing Ukraine to stay with Crimea but with an extremely more significant autonomy, Moscow's right to veto, and airports and ports under Russian control.

Like Kosovo after 1998. De jure it still was part of Serbia, de facto it was independent and protected by NATO.

But well, that's a moderate opinion and Putin transformed these last years in a megalomaniac, so who knows. The Western Ukrainians wouldn't be very happy either.

I don't know what Western World could or should do if they want to keep "normal" relations with Russia in the near future.

Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #401 on: March 01, 2014, 11:47:34 PM »
« Edited: March 02, 2014, 01:08:00 AM by Frodo »

I don't know what Western World could or should do if they want to keep "normal" relations with Russia in the near future.

All the West can do is advocate democracy, liberal values, and the rule of law, and push back against Putin whenever possible.  There is not much else we can do, besides waiting for Vladimir Putin to die.  His world-view was indelibly shaped by the Cold War.  So long as he lives and remains in power, any state on Russia's periphery -including Ukraine- not already a member of NATO and/or the EU will never have a truly liberal democratic future without interference from a Russia imbued with dreams of imperial restoration.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #402 on: March 01, 2014, 11:53:32 PM »

There is not much else we can do, besides waiting for Vladimir Putin to die. 

Could West speed up that process?
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #403 on: March 01, 2014, 11:56:03 PM »

There is not much else we can do, besides waiting for Vladimir Putin to die.

Could West speed up that process?

If you are you advocating an assassination, I would advise against it.  Tongue

Considering the other (viable) alternatives at this point in time in Russia, Putin is the only game we have in town.  
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #404 on: March 02, 2014, 12:55:16 AM »

And even then (as we saw in Georgia), NATO membership is not a guarantee of immunity.      

What does NATO have to do with Georgia?
Peeperkorn
Uruguay

Political Matrix

« Reply #405 on: March 02, 2014, 12:56:08 AM »

Russia created Putin. Russians like Putin. Russians need a Putin.

They have no changed since the Tsar's age.

If you think that with his death the people will be converted in happy liberal democrats, well, you are wrong.
Peeperkorn
Uruguay

Political Matrix

« Reply #406 on: March 02, 2014, 12:58:34 AM »
« Edited: March 02, 2014, 01:02:03 AM by Mynheer Peeperkorn »

And even then (as we saw in Georgia), NATO membership is not a guarantee of immunity.      

In the crazy 90s every republic from the ex USSR without the support of Moscow wanted to be part of NATO and they had some deal here, some deal there, etc.

Caucasus is a mess, but a very attractive region for energetic purposes.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #407 on: March 02, 2014, 12:59:52 AM »

The U.S. is suspending its participation in the G8.
Peeperkorn
Uruguay

Political Matrix

« Reply #408 on: March 02, 2014, 01:00:42 AM »
« Edited: March 02, 2014, 01:02:28 AM by Mynheer Peeperkorn »

The puppet state of Canadia is doing the same.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #409 on: March 02, 2014, 01:03:39 AM »

In the crazy 90s every republic from the ex USSR without the support of Moscow wanted to be part of NATO and they had some deal here, some deal there, etc.

Caucasus is a mess, but a very attractive region for energetic purposes.

Partnership for Peace.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #410 on: March 02, 2014, 01:04:01 AM »

Sorry, I confused Georgia's 2008 vote to join NATO with actual NATO membership.  
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #411 on: March 02, 2014, 02:03:51 AM »

Situations like these always make me feel good that this guy is in the White House:

And not these guys:

Peeperkorn
Uruguay

Political Matrix

« Reply #412 on: March 02, 2014, 02:11:13 AM »
« Edited: March 02, 2014, 02:13:45 AM by Mynheer Peeperkorn »

30 minutes ago:

"Three former Ukranian Presidents, Leonid Kravchuk, Leonid Kuchma and Víktor Yúschenko has asked the Kiev Paliament the military movilization of the country. "We have to be prepared to defend our Motherland" wrote in a text in Ukraínskaya Pravda."

Kuchma is a surprise, as he was a pro-Russia hero.

Nhoj
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.52, S: -7.74

« Reply #413 on: March 02, 2014, 02:15:59 AM »
« Edited: March 02, 2014, 02:19:54 AM by Nhoj »

30 minutes ago:

It translates to something like this: "Three former Ukranian Presidents, Leonid Kravchuk, Leonid Kuchma and Víktor Yúschenko has asked the Kiev Paliament the military movilization of the country. "We have to be prepared to defend our Motherland" wrote in a text in Ukraínskaya Pravda."

Kuchma is a surprise, as he was a pro-Russia hero.

he denounced yanukovych pretty early in the protests.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #414 on: March 02, 2014, 02:16:28 AM »

Canada has a large Ukrainian community. It will, hopefully, actually drag the southern neighbor into action.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #415 on: March 02, 2014, 02:20:27 AM »

I think that the better way of ending all this trouble is allowing Ukraine to stay with Crimea but with an extremely more significant autonomy, Moscow's right to veto, and airports and ports under Russian control.

Like Kosovo after 1998. De jure it still was part of Serbia, de facto it was independent and protected by NATO.

But well, that's a moderate opinion and Putin transformed these last years in a megalomaniac, so who knows. The Western Ukrainians wouldn't be very happy either.

Crimea HAD a lot of autonomy. It is NOT what the Russian government wants. It wants Crimea - and, at least, half of the rest of Ukraine. That, if they get it, might be enough - for 5 or 6 months.  Then they will ask for more. Unless you quickly stop this madman, you will have to fight a big war just a few years down the line.
Peeperkorn
Uruguay

Political Matrix

« Reply #416 on: March 02, 2014, 02:29:44 AM »
« Edited: March 02, 2014, 02:31:58 AM by Mynheer Peeperkorn »

Crimea HAD a lot of autonomy. It is NOT what the Russian government wants. It wants Crimea - and, at least, half of the rest of Ukraine. That, if they get it, might be enough - for 5 or 6 months.  Then they will ask for more. Unless you quickly stop this madman, you will have to fight a big war just a few years down the line.

I said MORE autonomy, to the point of being a puppet of Moscow even when in the official maps keeps being showed as Ukraine. That's why I used the Kosovo example.

--

I've said this before.

Am I the only one that thinks than in the last two or three years Putin went as mad as a second class African dictator or Milosevic? He wasn't such an InksHole before....

This is not audacity...is an invitation for war, civil or international.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #417 on: March 02, 2014, 02:33:26 AM »

10 minutes ago, Ukraine ordered general mobilisation:

http://derstandard.at/1392686841173/Ukraine-ruft-Generalmobilmachung-aus
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #418 on: March 02, 2014, 02:36:37 AM »

Ukraine declares total mobilization

Ukraine has announced general mobilization, with Secretary of the National Security Council Andriy Parubiy declaring that the entire country will be put on full combat alert.

The defense ministry is reportedly calling up all its reserve troops who are due to come to enrollment offices on Sunday, March 2.

http://voiceofrussia.com/news/2014_03_02/Ukraine-declares-total-mobilization-3356
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #419 on: March 02, 2014, 02:38:14 AM »

If this is right, it suggests that a Russian takeover of Crimea won't be sustainable…..unless they also take over a decent chunk of the rest of eastern Ukraine:

link

You must be logged in to read this quote.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #420 on: March 02, 2014, 02:38:54 AM »

Crimea HAD a lot of autonomy. It is NOT what the Russian government wants. It wants Crimea - and, at least, half of the rest of Ukraine. That, if they get it, might be enough - for 5 or 6 months.  Then they will ask for more. Unless you quickly stop this madman, you will have to fight a big war just a few years down the line.

I said MORE autonomy, to the point of being a puppet of Moscow even when in the official maps keeps being showed as Ukraine. That's why I used the Kosovo example.

--

I've said this before.

Am I the only one that thinks than in the last two or three years Putin went as mad as a second class African dictator or Milosevic? He wasn't such an InksHole before....

This will NOT satisfy the Russians. No more than giving Sudenten satisfied the Germans back in 1938. The only reason to do this is if you desperately want to go fighting on a Russian front in a couple of year. The only way to prevent THAT is to make it so painful to Russia right now, that they never think of a repeat.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #421 on: March 02, 2014, 02:47:02 AM »

Ummmm……   http://www.buzzfeed.com/johnstanton/house-ukraine-caucus-chair-some-group-had-to-step-in-to-medi
Peeperkorn
Uruguay

Political Matrix

« Reply #422 on: March 02, 2014, 03:03:00 AM »

--

I've said this before.

This will NOT satisfy the Russians. No more than giving Sudenten satisfied the Germans back in 1938. The only reason to do this is if you desperately want to go fighting on a Russian front in a couple of year. The only way to prevent THAT is to make it so painful to Russia right now, that they never think of a repeat.

Do you think that diplomatic sanctions would be enough?

Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #423 on: March 02, 2014, 03:17:01 AM »

Here's what Putin wrote in a NYT op/ed back in September, urging the US not to intervene in Syria:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/12/opinion/putin-plea-for-caution-from-russia-on-syria.html?_r=2&

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #424 on: March 02, 2014, 06:14:05 AM »
« Edited: March 02, 2014, 11:02:06 AM by Strategos Autokrator »

In an interview with the newspaper Pravo, former Czech foreign minister Karel Schwarzenberg has compared Putin to Hitler.

Meanwhile, Crimeans seem to be in a great mood:

http://instagram.com/p/lBDJ87ss09/
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 72  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies