Midwestern State Name Act
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 09:11:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Midwestern State Name Act
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Midwestern State Name Act  (Read 3093 times)
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 23, 2013, 11:16:20 AM »
« edited: October 23, 2013, 12:14:28 PM by MW Archduke windjammer »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sponsor: Ilikeverin

Well, I miss trollism Grin
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 12:13:46 PM »

If you have to copy pasta the persons name from their user, please do so.
GAworth
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2013, 12:22:48 PM »

I can find nothing wrong with it.
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2013, 06:21:12 PM »

This is a restriction on freedom of speech.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2013, 08:15:35 PM »

PJ is 100% correct, and I encourage the Althing and every member of it to reject this. Yes, the states are re-named in the constitution. But this is police state stuff.

I also urge our Governor to reject this, but I assume he will.
Thomas D
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: -6.61

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2013, 06:46:06 AM »

Can we make sure the $100 fine goes to something cake related?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2013, 07:19:03 AM »

A sad smilie is quite inappropriate for such an offense. Sad Needs to be an angry emoticon. Angry because using wrong state names makes emotica angry.

But this is a step in the right direction. Does it need signatures? x Lewis Trondheim
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2013, 10:37:44 AM »

While it looks pretty amusing (I believe ilikeverin is the only NM-AM who trolls while not being harmful to the game), I ask the Althing to turn this down right away. It restricts freedom of speech, it would allow the governor to create deputies with unlimited power to fine (and while having more power for me is always nice, this is absurd) and calling our states for those alternate names is not accomplishing anything.

As a matter of fact, I want to amend the constitution to change the names back to the originals. Fun as it may be to have different names, it serves no real purpose and it creates confusion.
GAworth
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2013, 07:34:30 PM »

I didn't take that into consideration before, I will not support this bill.
Kitteh
drj101
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2013, 08:17:45 PM »

As a matter of fact, I want to amend the constitution to change the names back to the originals. Fun as it may be to have different names, it serves no real purpose and it creates confusion.

This is literally the most disgusting thing I have read in my entire time in Atlasia.
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2013, 08:27:11 PM »

This is literally the most disgusting thing I have read in my entire time in Atlasia.
I just love how you take an effort to be involved in the politics of every region except the one you're a member of.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2013, 08:32:57 PM »

Kitteh
drj101
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2013, 08:39:38 PM »

I just love how you take an effort to be involved in the politics of every region except the one you're a member of.

Huh
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2013, 08:43:07 PM »

Huh
Did you forget you're a member of the Pacific Council?
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2013, 08:46:02 PM »

I just love how you're saying this to her despite the fact that you also live in the ing Pacific. I also love how you disparage the mere idea of people being involved in other regional politics. Thirdly, I love the fact that this logically extends to you leaving the United States (not Oregon) Election Atlas.
Kitteh
drj101
United States

« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2013, 08:48:09 PM »

Huh

No, I forgot I've ever posted in the assembly of another region besides the Pacific since I left the mideast.
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2013, 08:52:02 PM »

I just love how you're saying this to her despite the fact that you also live in the ing Pacific. I also love how you disparage the mere idea of people being involved in other regional politics. Thirdly, I love the fact that this logically extends to you leaving the United States (not Oregon) Election Atlas.

I never said she couldn't be involved in other region's politics. I meant she is not doing her actual job, in the Pacific Council. I'm sure you would agree that a Pacific Councillor should donate more time to the to the Pacific Council than the Northeast Assembly and Midwest Althing. I'm glad that Drj is giving time to the game, I just feel as though she should be giving that same effort to the Pacific Region as well.
Kitteh
drj101
United States

« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2013, 08:54:16 PM »

I never said she couldn't be involved in other region's politics. I meant she is not doing her actual job, in the Pacific Council. I'm sure you would agree that a Pacific Councillor should donate more time to the to the Pacific Council than the Northeast Assembly and Midwest Althing. I'm glad that Drj is giving time to the game, I just feel as though she should be giving that same effort to the Pacific Region as well.

First of all, I have as many bills as you do in the legislative queue and zero missed votes in the Pacific this term. Second of all, when did I post in the NE assembly? 
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2013, 08:54:50 PM »

Huh

No, I forgot I've ever posted in the assembly of another region besides the Pacific since I left the mideast.
I'd like to file a brief in this case (ftr, I was not one of the people who PM'd dallas about this):

If you look at Article VI, which contains the clause in question, it appears that the rights enumerated by the Article are not intended to apply solely to citizens.

The only other clause in this article which mentions "citizens" is the right to vote, which is a right that by necessity must be limited only to citizens. In fact, the right to vote is limited to Northeast citizens by a separate clause, Article V Section 5:

It would be redundant for the constitution to specify in both 5.5 and 6.3 that only citizens shall have the right to vote. Therefore, the only logical conclusion was that the use of the term "citizens" in 6.3 was not to limit the right to vote only to citizens, it was to guarantee citizens the right to vote without necessarily implying that others cannot be granted that right (for example, by the legislature in a statutory law, not a constitutional amendment, although that would take an amendment to 5.5). In other words, the use of "citizens" is an inclusionary, not exclusionary, term, which differentiates this section from 5.5 which excludes the right to vote from others.

As this is the only other use of the term "citizens" in Article VI, aside from the Right to Privacy Section in question in this case, it is reasonable to assume that the same definition is intended for the use of the term "citizens" in Section 5. Thus the use of "citizens" in this Section is not intended to limit the right to privacy only to citizens, but to guarantee the right to privacy to citizens without necessarily excluding others from that right or excluding harm done to non-citizens from constituting a valid reason to impede on a citizen's right to privacy.

The other piece of the constitution relevant to this case is the beginning of Article VI, which states:

This explicitly states that the rights granted below it are the inalienable rights of the people of the Northeast, not just Northeast citizens. The legal definition of "person" is an extremely complicated subject too much to get into here. However, I would submit to the court that the Northeast has already granted animals some rights in the Animal Protection Act, and that this should be considered sufficient evidence that animals are at least partly considered legal persons under Northeast law. Thus, the statement that the rights listed in the Bill of Rights apply to "the people" of the Northeast guarantees some level of protection of these rights for animals, where feasible and applicable.

Considering all of this, I believe that the act of bestiality meets the standard of an action that "directly harm[ s] another citizen physically, mentally, or otherwise prevents another citizen from exercising this same freedom" as the writers of this Constitution intended that clause to be interpreted, and thus that the Bestiality Criminalization Act is constitutional.

Yet I can't find a single post in the 7th Pacific Council thread.
Kitteh
drj101
United States

« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2013, 08:56:31 PM »
« Edited: October 24, 2013, 08:58:12 PM by Kitteh »

Huh

I'd like to file a brief in this case (ftr, I was not one of the people who PM'd dallas about this):

If you look at Article VI, which contains the clause in question, it appears that the rights enumerated by the Article are not intended to apply solely to citizens.

The only other clause in this article which mentions "citizens" is the right to vote, which is a right that by necessity must be limited only to citizens. In fact, the right to vote is limited to Northeast citizens by a separate clause, Article V Section 5:

It would be redundant for the constitution to specify in both 5.5 and 6.3 that only citizens shall have the right to vote. Therefore, the only logical conclusion was that the use of the term "citizens" in 6.3 was not to limit the right to vote only to citizens, it was to guarantee citizens the right to vote without necessarily implying that others cannot be granted that right (for example, by the legislature in a statutory law, not a constitutional amendment, although that would take an amendment to 5.5). In other words, the use of "citizens" is an inclusionary, not exclusionary, term, which differentiates this section from 5.5 which excludes the right to vote from others.

As this is the only other use of the term "citizens" in Article VI, aside from the Right to Privacy Section in question in this case, it is reasonable to assume that the same definition is intended for the use of the term "citizens" in Section 5. Thus the use of "citizens" in this Section is not intended to limit the right to privacy only to citizens, but to guarantee the right to privacy to citizens without necessarily excluding others from that right or excluding harm done to non-citizens from constituting a valid reason to impede on a citizen's right to privacy.

The other piece of the constitution relevant to this case is the beginning of Article VI, which states:

This explicitly states that the rights granted below it are the inalienable rights of the people of the Northeast, not just Northeast citizens. The legal definition of "person" is an extremely complicated subject too much to get into here. However, I would submit to the court that the Northeast has already granted animals some rights in the Animal Protection Act, and that this should be considered sufficient evidence that animals are at least partly considered legal persons under Northeast law. Thus, the statement that the rights listed in the Bill of Rights apply to "the people" of the Northeast guarantees some level of protection of these rights for animals, where feasible and applicable.

Considering all of this, I believe that the act of bestiality meets the standard of an action that "directly harm[ s] another citizen physically, mentally, or otherwise prevents another citizen from exercising this same freedom" as the writers of this Constitution intended that clause to be interpreted, and thus that the Bestiality Criminalization Act is constitutional.

Because there was a backlog of bills from last session so the one I've introduced last season hasn't even been brought up yet by a certain speaker of the council?
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2013, 08:59:52 PM »

Huh

Because there was a backlog of bills from last session so the one I've introduced last season hasn't even been brought up yet by a certain speaker of the council?
We are currently debating a comprehensive constitutional amendment, as well as an the Pacific Speed Limit Act. We'd love your input.
Kitteh
drj101
United States

« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2013, 09:02:29 PM »

Huh

We are currently debating a comprehensive constitutional amendment, as well as an the Pacific Speed Limit Act. We'd love your input.
The Speed Limit Act is waiting for Tyrion's redrafting, and I've posted in the constitutional amendment thread. I know you love to masturbate to the fact that the NMAM "isn't active" but please learn to distinguish your fantasies from reality.
Flake
JacobTiver
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2013, 10:02:41 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZX6YR9nBSws why can't we be friends
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2013, 11:13:54 PM »

Note that violators of this law can also be fined with a "Sad" smiley, which is significantly cheaper (but infinitely more damning!) than a $100 fine.  I should think that my fellow registered citizens might enjoy seeing an end to terrible besmirching of our beautiful state names by such contemptibles as one "homelycooking", who dares say the following:

As far as the Census Bureau is concerned, the Midwest is composed of ten states: Kansas, Oklahoma, North Dakota, South Dakota, Montana, Colorado, Iowa, Wyoming, Minnesota and Nebraska.

Such insolence should not be tolerated!

Especially in the Midwest *hughughug* Grin Cheesy Grin
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2013, 11:57:03 PM »

I would approve of an optional frowny face, because that's just fun.

Not sure about the more police state sort of stuff like a real fine, though.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies