Senate Bill: Fix the Regions Amendment (Rejected)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 11, 2024, 06:34:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Senate Bill: Fix the Regions Amendment (Rejected)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12
Author Topic: Senate Bill: Fix the Regions Amendment (Rejected)  (Read 12366 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: October 25, 2013, 01:18:32 AM »

Aw just one. You cannot offer amendments yet. Tongue

I think Tmth should have the honors, since it is his amendment that would be withdrawn in favor of it.
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #151 on: October 25, 2013, 01:21:27 AM »

Aw just one. You cannot offer amendments yet. Tongue

I think Tmth should have the honors, since it is his amendment that would be withdrawn in favor of it.

Haha, I know, but I know one of y'all would just sponsor it anyway, so I was banking on that.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #152 on: October 25, 2013, 01:35:46 AM »

I have been working hard all night on this - hours upon hours...

I hereby introduce the following amendment:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #153 on: October 25, 2013, 01:45:28 AM »

Tyrion, thoughts?

And of course Nappy, since he is the sponsor here.
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #154 on: October 25, 2013, 01:49:15 AM »

Tyrion, thoughts?

And of course Nappy, since he is the sponsor here.

That's my exact text, right? So yeah, I'm ok with it Tongue
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #155 on: October 25, 2013, 07:44:41 PM »
« Edited: October 26, 2013, 12:45:29 PM by Senator North Carolina Yankee »

Quote from: Restricted

Sponsor Feedback: None Given
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #156 on: October 26, 2013, 05:31:16 AM »

Quote from: Restricted

Sponsor Feedback: None Given
Status: A vote is now open on the above amendment, please vote Aye, Nay or Abstain.

Topic Line Change, Mr. VP.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #157 on: October 26, 2013, 07:39:51 AM »

Nay

If this amendment fails I'll have another one up which makes it just 2/3rds of citizens voting in all atlasia (as in a federal referenda).

Also, I can't help but feel that that language about dissenters is incredibly complicated. Why not just have it so that if nothing is resolved the SOFE or Supreme court draws the boundaries? That basically means even if the governor/VP doesn't like regional reform they'll want to participate anyway, so as to minimize the damage.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #158 on: October 26, 2013, 10:20:22 AM »

Aye
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #159 on: October 26, 2013, 11:29:13 AM »

Nay

If this amendment fails I'll have another one up which makes it just 2/3rds of citizens voting in all atlasia (as in a federal referenda).

Also, I can't help but feel that that language about dissenters is incredibly complicated. Why not just have it so that if nothing is resolved the SOFE or Supreme court draws the boundaries? That basically means even if the governor/VP doesn't like regional reform they'll want to participate anyway, so as to minimize the damage.

I agree with this, NAY
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #160 on: October 26, 2013, 12:04:29 PM »
« Edited: October 27, 2013, 01:25:13 PM by Senator Maxwell »

Switching my vote to Aye on this amendment, its not perfect, but its a good text to work from.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #161 on: October 26, 2013, 12:30:51 PM »

AYE
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #162 on: October 26, 2013, 12:46:16 PM »

Why not just have it so that if nothing is resolved the SOFE or Supreme court draws the boundaries? That basically means even if the governor/VP doesn't like regional reform they'll want to participate anyway, so as to minimize the damage.
See Clause 6

Aye - it would be swell if folks would bring up their concerns before we start voting on the amendment so we can find something more acceptable to all.
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #163 on: October 26, 2013, 04:44:43 PM »

Nay

I am sure that will be well-received regardless of the outcome of this vote.

Well, if the committee completely fails, then the Registrar General will set the boundaries. This is an important clause largely because it's very important that we do our best to give the regional executives the power in this situation before giving unilateral authority to homely. Essentially, we want to keep one or two regional executives from gumming up the process (and one has already admitted that he would).
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #164 on: October 26, 2013, 05:19:20 PM »

I get that if agreement isn't reached the task will fall to the registrar general at the moment. What I'm saying is that should be enough to provoke people into taking part in the commission. It's seems to me needlessly bureaucratic (I've read that amendment several times and I still don't quite understand it) to stipulate various ways people can be expelled. As well though the amendment doesn't seem to stipulate how many of the 6 voters are needed to put forward a map, how the proposals are meant to be done etc. If we're going to governe the committees minutiae, that's what we should be deciding.
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #165 on: October 26, 2013, 05:21:38 PM »

I get that if agreement isn't reached the task will fall to the registrar general at the moment. What I'm saying is that should be enough to provoke people into taking part in the commission. It's seems to me needlessly bureaucratic (I've read that amendment several times and I still don't quite understand it) to stipulate various ways people can be expelled. As well though the amendment doesn't seem to stipulate how many of the 6 voters are needed to put forward a map, how the proposals are meant to be done etc. If we're going to governe the committees minutiae, that's what we should be deciding.

I think that's the next step. I do think there should be a little micromanagement in this case.

I'm not sure why it's a problem to outline the manner in which a member could be expelled. We're only working with pixel space here, and it's not a zero sum game. We have time to outline the other aspects of the redrawing as well.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #166 on: October 26, 2013, 05:32:54 PM »

I think that's the next step. I do think there should be a little micromanagement in this case.

I'm not sure why it's a problem to outline the manner in which a member could be expelled. We're only working with pixel space here, and it's not a zero sum game. We have time to outline the other aspects of the redrawing as well.

In a game like Atlasia, I think simplicity is very important, otherwise the game becomes far less enjoyable. So as a general rule, for me, laws and especially constitutions, budgets, and senate guidelines,  should be as easy to understand as possible- No one gains from making the constitution unwieldy. As well though, I think we need to face the fact that the longer this amendment is, rightly or wrongly, the less likely it is to be ratified.

I agree with you that the senate should control how the committee is run, but I don't think that it should all be put in the amendment. Perhaps a compromise would be a line that says the senate will draw up the rules of the committee on passage of the amendment?
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #167 on: October 26, 2013, 05:35:04 PM »

In a game like Atlasia, I think simplicity is very important, otherwise the game becomes far less enjoyable. So as a general rule, for me, laws and especially constitutions, budgets, and senate guidelines,  should be as easy to understand as possible- No one gains from making the constitution unwieldy. As well though, I think we need to face the fact that the longer this amendment is, rightly or wrongly, the less likely it is to be ratified.

I agree with you that the senate should control how the committee is run, but I don't think that it should all be put in the amendment. Perhaps a compromise would be a line that says the senate will draw up the rules of the committee on passage of the amendment?

I would be fine with that.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #168 on: October 27, 2013, 02:11:02 AM »

Ugh, you guys can get rid of all that mumbo-jumbo in Clauses 5 & 6 if you just adopt the CARCA map boundaries and do this in one swoop.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #169 on: October 27, 2013, 02:20:53 AM »

Ugh, you guys can get rid of all that mumbo-jumbo in Clauses 5 & 6 if you just adopt the CARCA map boundaries and do this in one swoop.

If you want that map through, advocating Governors is probably a better place to go.
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #170 on: October 27, 2013, 02:25:21 AM »

If you want that map through, advocating Governors is probably a better place to go.

Well, we could easily throw out the amendment as it stands and just adopt this map. The people will have to ratify it regardless.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #171 on: October 27, 2013, 02:47:03 AM »

Well, we could easily throw out the amendment as it stands and just adopt this map. The people will have to ratify it regardless.

And that's the whole point. There's this big, rigorous process being designed that will hand the decision-making to six individuals and perhaps require unanimity. I highly doubt that whatever map that would be produced by said committee would be viewed favorably by any larger share of the population than what a result like CARCA has produced. Also, the CARCA map is automatically more democratic as it already enjoys the support of more people than would comprise said committee outlined in Clause 5.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #172 on: October 27, 2013, 02:47:58 AM »
« Edited: October 27, 2013, 02:49:55 AM by Senator Gass3268 »

Thinking over the issue, I think it would be best for us to put forward the adoption of this map as the process would be more straight forward than the massive clause we are currently voting on.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #173 on: October 27, 2013, 09:18:57 AM »

Aye
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #174 on: October 27, 2013, 12:26:21 PM »

If we adopt that strategy, not only are we losing the votes from people who oppose regional consolidation, but also people who oppose that specific map. The current plan is more likely to pass and allows the regions to play an important role in the process.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies