SENATE BILL: Basic Income Guarantee (Law'd)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 21, 2024, 12:26:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: Basic Income Guarantee (Law'd)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: Basic Income Guarantee (Law'd)  (Read 10821 times)
TNF
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: August 29, 2013, 04:09:50 PM »

Why should we use the same calculation for households of different sizes?

Oh I don't think that we should – what I was saying that at the very least we should define $22K and below as poverty and go from there.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #126 on: August 30, 2013, 05:27:17 PM »

So, that would be double the present numbers that we are working with, just about unless I am misreading the alternative numbers.

What does everyone else think?

And how should we proceed with the underlying legislation with at new standard in mind.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #127 on: August 31, 2013, 08:15:23 PM »

What would that be and how would it be calculated?

There are many formulas for calculating the poverty rate. We should agree on one and submit it to the GM.

TNF, what poverty measure would you prefer to use?

What are our choices?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #128 on: September 02, 2013, 08:02:41 PM »

Can we get some responses to these questions that have been asked by the Senator and the President?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #129 on: September 03, 2013, 05:40:20 PM »

Yea, I am gonna go with that vacation theory. Tongue
Sec. of State Superique
Superique
Brazil

« Reply #130 on: September 03, 2013, 06:24:02 PM »

I wish I knew what they are thinking about to answer your question but I don't really think that the individual poverty rating of RL is not appropriate to Atlasia. $11,500 looks pretty fine to me... =/
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #131 on: September 03, 2013, 09:55:48 PM »

Oh I don't think that we should – what I was saying that at the very least we should define $22K and below as poverty and go from there.

Would you mind describing some of your problems with the real-life Census poverty measure? I'm familiar with the most common objections to the (incredibly crude) method by which it is calculated, but I'm curious about why you consider your threshold is the best possible description of poverty.

I'm just spitballing, numbers-wise (referring to my definition). My main objection to the real-life census measure of poverty is that it's rooted in assumptions that no longer hold true. Bear in mind that those poverty guidelines were originally written in the 1960s, so yes, $11K or whatever we are talking about is certainly poor - by 1960s standards. The world has definitely changed since the 1960s and those measurements should be updated to reflect that.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #132 on: September 03, 2013, 09:56:40 PM »

Would you mind describing some of your problems with the real-life Census poverty measure? I'm familiar with the most common objections to the (incredibly crude) method by which it is calculated, but I'm curious about why you consider your threshold is the best possible description of poverty.

I'm just spitballing, numbers-wise (referring to my definition). My main objection to the real-life census measure of poverty is that it's rooted in assumptions that no longer hold true. Bear in mind that those poverty guidelines were originally written in the 1960s, so yes, $11K or whatever we are talking about is certainly poor - by 1960s standards. The world has definitely changed since the 1960s and those measurements should be updated to reflect that.

Doesn't factoring the inflation since then not enough?
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #133 on: September 03, 2013, 10:05:24 PM »

Doesn't factoring the inflation since then not enough?

Inflation does not begin to address how radically basic material possessions have changed/multiplied/grown in importance since the 1960s. Under the existing definition of poverty, you might not be able to afford internet access, for example - and that's not factored in of course because the internet did not exist when the guidelines were drawn up - but we should (imo anyway) nevertheless consider someone without internet access poor. Not having access to the internet is like not having access to electricity in this day and age.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #134 on: September 04, 2013, 07:04:13 PM »

Keep in mind not all internet access is created equal. Wink

But lets say we were to recraft and then recalculate the formula, one has to ask is that practical to do with our limitations?
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #135 on: September 04, 2013, 07:53:25 PM »

Keep in mind not all internet access is created equal. Wink

But lets say we were to recraft and then recalculate the formula, one has to ask is that practical to do with our limitations?

This is a good point and I would lean towards no. I think I would be most comfortable with defining poverty a lot higher than the existing definition, forumlas aside.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #136 on: September 05, 2013, 07:28:18 PM »

So then how do we come to an agreement on what the number should be?

I must say, this would have been a great task for the IA Committee to have tackled. Considering it was 100% laborite, I'd imagine the results would have been rather much in line with your desires. Wink
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #137 on: September 09, 2013, 08:30:39 PM »

I would offer an amendment for 10,000, but I am worried about garbling the formula by doing so. Plus I don't beleive anyone else gave a preferred number amongst the Senators and I would like to know what my collegues support. TNF said something about 22,000, if I remember correctly but that was not for an individual but instead based on I think a family of four. If I understand it 10,000 would give a family of four 23,000 or so, but I might be miscalculating the formula here.

I am also bring this post from about two weeks ago, since it lays out what has to be done.

First, now that we've adjusted the formula, we need to establish what GBI number a majority of Senators are willing to support. Maybe it's $7,500, or maybe it's something closer to the $12,500 that I suggest. The benefit for spouses or live-in partners doesn't necessarily need to be that high, although I don't want to disincentive marriage or cohabitation, both of which can be sensible steps to take if you want to lift yourself out of poverty.

Second, we need to discuss what kind of social programs should be unavailable for those who opt for the GBI instead (and I think that initiating this program with an opt-in provision is crucial). I've already named a few (e.g. SNAP, public housing benefits), which I'll cull together in a later post.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #138 on: September 09, 2013, 10:06:17 PM »

Yankee do you want the $10k decreasing to zero when the person reaches an income of $15 as it is now, or do you also want that scaled up to $20k?

I have something of a split mind about the merits of each because I worry only having people get 1/3 more money for every dollar they earn is an insufficient incentive, but I also don't think the government needs to be giving money to single individuals making $20k a year who already are getting healthcare.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #139 on: September 10, 2013, 07:12:39 PM »

I am leaning towards the mechanics that we have now since those were the SoIA's recommendations if I recall correctly.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #140 on: September 10, 2013, 07:15:26 PM »

I am not someone who has much expertise on the subject of welfare, so this will probably be my only comment, but adjusting the poverty levels is probably a good idea.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #141 on: September 10, 2013, 07:33:34 PM »

We should certainly consider it when deciding what the numbers should, particular since we have Fritzcare but coming to a concrete number would require us to form our own formula and that would be difficult with our limitations.

We should consider it, Atlasiafying the formula that is, going forward as maybe something to work with the GM and SoIA on, maybe once we finish the CSS budget stuff.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #142 on: September 12, 2013, 07:02:43 PM »

I meant to get on this morning and offer the 10K amendment but was unfortunatley detained by a family crisis. I wil ltry to get that in tonight but there is a storm coming.

It is always something. God I hate 2013. Roll Eyes
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #143 on: September 12, 2013, 07:52:34 PM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Are these correct?
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #144 on: September 13, 2013, 12:33:59 AM »

Both have a discontinuity at the cut-off point. You also need to change the slope for it to work:

North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #145 on: September 16, 2013, 09:26:05 PM »

Thanks, TJ.

I will offer one of them when I get back online.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #146 on: September 17, 2013, 10:51:13 AM »
« Edited: September 17, 2013, 11:04:39 AM by Senator North Carolina Yankee »

North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #147 on: September 17, 2013, 11:05:53 AM »

Sponsor Feedback: None Given
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #148 on: September 18, 2013, 08:36:50 PM »

Sponsor Feedback: None Given
Status: A vote is now open on the above amendment, please vote Aye, Nay or Abstain.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #149 on: September 18, 2013, 08:52:48 PM »

Aye
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9  
« previous next »
Jump to: