The Caucus for an Institutional Atlasia
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 12:09:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Caucus for an Institutional Atlasia
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: The Caucus for an Institutional Atlasia  (Read 3780 times)
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: July 14, 2013, 12:38:43 PM »

While the movement has certainly been annoying, causing economic collapse and posting in different languages are not the characteristics of a terrorist organization. Calling a party we don't like a terrorist organization is undemocratic.

The fact that they brought down an entire region warrants the label. They created terror as part of furthering their views.

You have no damn clue what terrorism is, do you? Terrorism is the use of violence to achieve political change. The NM-AM has not, AFAIK, used violence in their handling of government.

Violence has more than one strict definition and is not limited to  physical force. A destructive action also falls under most definitions.

If I abolish a government agency, say, the Department of Education, is that violence? I destroyed that government agency, did I not?
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #51 on: July 14, 2013, 03:37:50 PM »

While the movement has certainly been annoying, causing economic collapse and posting in different languages are not the characteristics of a terrorist organization. Calling a party we don't like a terrorist organization is undemocratic.

The fact that they brought down an entire region warrants the label. They created terror as part of furthering their views.

You have no damn clue what terrorism is, do you? Terrorism is the use of violence to achieve political change. The NM-AM has not, AFAIK, used violence in their handling of government.

Violence has more than one strict definition and is not limited to  physical force. A destructive action also falls under most definitions.

If I abolish a government agency, say, the Department of Education, is that violence? I destroyed that government agency, did I not?

Logic fail
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #52 on: July 14, 2013, 04:08:33 PM »

In the Alping, I'm clearly against NMAM, I suppose Thomas too. Illikiverin seems to like them, but he's not dangerous. All he wants, it's to merge the Pacific and the Midwest, not to destroy the Pacific.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #53 on: July 14, 2013, 06:33:48 PM »

Logic fail

Jbrase didn't define a "destructive act". I'm simply asking where he draws the line.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #54 on: July 14, 2013, 07:20:54 PM »

Jbrase didn't define a "destructive act". I'm simply asking where he draws the line.
Where exactly the line is can be up for debate, but do you seriously see nothing destructive in a game where an entire region's playable positions are done away (not by a vote of the region, but by a few who took advantage of low activity, so spare me the "WHAT ABOUT DEMOCRACY!11!!" bull) and made it so they had no way of undoing it short of Federal intervention? I consider that destructive as far as the game is concerned, I know, I am weird like that.

What you and others are forgetting  are the in-game ramifications of their actions. To abolish all regional playable positions AND (and that is a big and) leave no legal path to retrieve them by the citizens is destructive to the game. These destructive acts being done to further their political goals is terrorism as far as fantasyland is concerned.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #55 on: July 21, 2013, 10:45:12 PM »

My most sincere apologies for the lack of activity in the Caucus, but with the elections being underway I think it's safe to assume that sanity in Atlasia will be enforced. Spamage has won the recall, and the Pacific Council that hijacked the Pacific (their motives were irrelevant, and the changes in the Liberal Party, the competitive elections and the birth of new parties prove that Atlasia doesn't need nor want a revolution to increase activity) was recalled and replaced.

While I'm unsure of the current numbers in the Pacific and IDS elections, the Midwest, Northeast and Mideast elections gave us a good example of competitive and sane elections, with all candidates having the basic respect for the rules that Atlasia needs to avoid widespread chaos. True, the NM-AM will retain some seats in the Pacific and most likely in the IDS, but the Pacific is safe now.

My most sincere congratulations to the participants in these elections, and to the future candidates for races such as At-Large Senate (or the hypothetical Midwest Governor one), since regardless of the victor all of the candidates represent the qualities that Atlasia needs.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #56 on: July 23, 2013, 02:14:23 PM »

Here is one lesson that many seem to have missed, although it is probably the most important to come out of this ordeal: Vote conscientiously, and read before you sign.

Twelve Pacificans voted to approve the Fourth Constitution, which was ratified unanimously in a public vote. Some of these citizens were affiliated with the NMAM, but not all of them were. In fact, several have now condemned the Movement's activities in the Pacific. Yet they voted for a constitution that included the following clause:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

By casting that vote, those citizens voluntarily forfeited their exclusive right to amend their regional constitution. An oversight? Perhaps. But a constitution isn't something to be voted on lightly. I understand that not everyone has the time to comb over hundreds of words searching for hidden loopholes, but I find it staggering that no one in the Pacific other than the Fourth Constitution's drafters seems to have noticed this critical (and, honestly, incredibly blatant) bit of text, without which none of this could have happened.

Remember the alternative was staying with the Third Constitution, I think that excuses some degree of low standards.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies