where do you stand on these social issues?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 15, 2024, 12:09:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  where do you stand on these social issues?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 15
Author Topic: where do you stand on these social issues?  (Read 60062 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: July 10, 2005, 08:34:00 PM »

I'm pretty confident Christians have prayed in NYC schools before, so find me a case where this was prohibited or any policy or law that praying by Christians in NYC schools is banned. I have never heard of any school where praying is banned.

And that's hilarious you bring this up considering John Ford claims I have an irriational bigotry toward Muslims. So am I PC? Is Ford PC?
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #76 on: July 10, 2005, 08:43:49 PM »

I'm pretty confident Christians have prayed in NYC schools before, so find me a case where this was prohibited or any policy or law that praying by Christians in NYC schools is banned. I have never heard of any school where praying is banned.

And that's hilarious you bring this up considering John Ford claims I have an irriational bigotry toward Muslims. So am I PC? Is Ford PC?

Actually, you're not PC on Muslims.  It's funny that you relate everything I say to you.  I wasn't thinking of you when I mentioned that it's politically correct to discriminate against Christians, and not muslims.  I stand by my statement, and it had nothing to do with you.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #77 on: July 10, 2005, 08:46:03 PM »

Then name a leftist on the board this would apply to. We already know of two that it does not, so to back up your point you would need at least three actually, to have more leftists for which this is true than for which it does not.

Still the question remains: Is Ford PC? Why would he care about Muslims if he wasn't? It seems the righties here are more "PC" as you define it.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #78 on: July 10, 2005, 08:47:59 PM »

Then name a leftist on the board this would apply to. We already know of two that it does not, so to back up your point you would need at least three actually, to have more leftists for which this is true than for which it does not.

No, I don't.  This board isn't representative of anything.  I am correct about the larger society and that's what matters to me.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #79 on: July 10, 2005, 08:49:00 PM »

Give proof. And if this was true, wouldn't I have problems identifying with the left? Yet I don't. Hmmm...

P.S. You still have no provided any proof that Christians in NYC schools are banned from praying. You also ignore that Ford is far more PC than me.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #80 on: July 10, 2005, 08:51:23 PM »

Give proof.

P.S. You still have no provided any proof that Christians in NYC schools are banned from praying. You also ignore that Ford is far more PC than me.

Yawn.....I said they wouldn't make special efforts to facilitate the ability of Christians to pray in an organized fashion, as they did with muslims.  Sure they could pray silently if they wanted, but nobody would say that accomodations would have to be made to allow Christians to pray.  If anybody did, the liberals would scream bloody murder.

I don't care whether Ford is more PC than you.  This isn't about you in any case.  My original post made no reference to you.  You're like a 2-year-old...me, me, me, me, me.  This isn't about you.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #81 on: July 10, 2005, 08:58:26 PM »

Yawn.....I said they wouldn't make special efforts to facilitate the ability of Christians to pray in an organized fashion, as they did with muslims.  Sure they could pray silently if they wanted, but nobody would say that accomodations would have to be made to allow Christians to pray.

except we don't require any such special accomodations. I don't give a f*** about the Muslims but the two are not comparable.

I don't care whether Ford is more PC than you.  This isn't about you in any case.  My original post made no reference to you.  You're like a 2-year-old...me, me, me, me, me.  This isn't about you.

Well you still didn't provide any proof this is true of liberals in general, or answer my question that if most liberals were a bunch of Islam lovers then why I don't have any problem associating with the left.

The fact that Ford is more PC than me is relevant since you claim this is a leftist set of beliefs. In addition, so are you:

I take a fairly dim view of Islam, and have admitted to a certain level of involuntary prejudice against Muslims.

But I don't agree with your view that it's necessarily bad.

A more modern way of thinking, coupled with a more liberal interpretation of the Koran, could make Islam a perfectly acceptable religion.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #82 on: July 10, 2005, 09:03:40 PM »

gay marriage? STRONGLY support (as a gay man myself)

abortion?  Im a fence-sitter on this one, a bit more conservative than on most issues.  Sex is risky business, and abortions should not be easy to get

legalized gambling? This should be a matter left to local communitites.  In my own local community I oppose it.

prostitution?  Should not be made legal 

prayer in school?  Public schools do not need to formally make allowances for prayer.  Churches serve that cultural function.  Private schools may do what they wish.

school uniforms? Not in public schools.  Again, private schools may do what they wish.

drug legalization? Marijuana should be legalised, it is no more harmful than other legal vices (alcohol and tobacco).  I do not support legalisation of harder drugs.

gun control? indifferent

affirmative action? has outlived it's purpose and usefulness, needs to be re-examined

speed limits? You mean for driving?  Of course there should be a speed limit, can't believe this is even on the list.

death penalty? Oppose in all cases, even terrorism/Tim McVeigh type cases.  Life in prison is a severe penalty, and does not put us in the position of playing God.  Those of you with certain religious convictions will agree that the Almighty will deal with those who have committed unspeakable crimes against humanity.  The death penalty is a barbaric, uncivilised practice, and should be repealed in modern times.

mandatory minimum sentencing? Need more specifics to offer an opinion
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #83 on: July 10, 2005, 09:06:19 PM »

gay marriage? STRONGLY support (as a gay man myself)

wow, I never knew that. And I was going to ask you if you were coming to Deja Vu this Saturday when they have their Mid-Summer Special and waive the cover charge. Ever been to that Gay 90s Bar up in North Minneapolis near all the strip clubs though? Looks like an interesting place.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #84 on: July 10, 2005, 09:06:53 PM »

Well you still didn't provide any proof this is true of liberals in general, or answer my question that if most liberals were a bunch of Islam lovers then why I don't have any problem associating with the left.

The fact that Ford is more PC than me is relevant since you claim this is a leftist set of beliefs. In addition, so are you:

I take a fairly dim view of Islam, and have admitted to a certain level of involuntary prejudice against Muslims.

But I don't agree with your view that it's necessarily bad.

A more modern way of thinking, coupled with a more liberal interpretation of the Koran, could make Islam a perfectly acceptable religion.

So you think you are the yardstick for all leftists.  Man, do you have a big ego...Smiley
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #85 on: July 10, 2005, 09:10:44 PM »

Well, it still stands, if what you were saying was true, I'd be a little uncomfortable with the left, don't you think?

Do you also deny that you are more PC (by your definition) than me on this matter?
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #86 on: July 10, 2005, 09:17:51 PM »

Well, it still stands, if what you were saying was true, I'd be a little uncomfortable with the left, don't you think?

Do you also deny that you are more PC (by your definition) than me on this matter?

I'm not more PC, just a little more moderate.  I'd be PC if I said that islam should be treated with more consideration than Christianity.

In my post, which you dug up, I didn't exactly give a ringing endorsement of islam.  I said I had prejudices against it, and that it could be a legitimate religion under certain circumstances.  Hardly an apology for islamic terrorism.  My opinion really hasn't changed.  I am profoundly uneasy with islam, and would be quite unhappy to have any significant number of muslims living near me.  When I see a mosque, I pray that it's under FBI surveillance.  But I don't think every muslim person is evil, though I think a good deal of the evil in the world is perpetrated by muslims.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #87 on: July 10, 2005, 09:28:42 PM »

I'm not more PC, just a little more moderate.  I'd be PC if I said that islam should be treated with more consideration than Christianity.

I know of no person who believes this.

Personally I always considered myself PC just because I'm against using "gay" and "fag" as insults. How this somehow translates into loving Islam is beyond me.

Sorry that I destroy your nasty little stereotypes about leftists since I don't fit into any of them. And no one on the board does. There are loads of anti-Islam leftists, and only one anti-Islam right winger (StatesRights)
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #88 on: July 10, 2005, 09:36:25 PM »

I know of no person who believes this.

Personally I always considered myself PC just because I'm against using "gay" and "fag" as insults. How this somehow translates into loving Islam is beyond me.

Sorry that I destroy your nasty little stereotypes about leftists since I don't fit into any of them. And no one on the board does. There are loads of anti-Islam leftists, and only one anti-Islam right winger (StatesRights)

Oh believe me, you don't destroy my "nasty little stereotypes" about leftists.  You've done more than most to reinforce my perceptions about people on the left and their way of looking at the world.  Your position on islam is a small peccadillo that is more than made up for in other areas.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #89 on: July 10, 2005, 09:37:53 PM »

You've done more than most to reinforce my perceptions about people on the left and their way of looking at the world.

such as?

You've also claimed that leftists hate Christianity. Not true with me.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #90 on: July 10, 2005, 09:38:57 PM »

There's a difference between Christianity as in Christianity and Christianity as in Pretend Christianity.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #91 on: July 10, 2005, 11:13:14 PM »

You've done more than most to reinforce my perceptions about people on the left and their way of looking at the world.

such as?

Do you really think I would change my view of leftists because of what you think?

Leftist philosophy in general has a strong undercurrent of hostility toward any traditionally dominant group.  That includes whites, men and Christians.  Leftists hold people in these groups to a higher standard of behavior than those who don't belong to these groups, and often assign victim status to those outside these groups, regardless of actual circumstances.

If you can't see this, then I can't help you.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #92 on: July 10, 2005, 11:29:39 PM »

abortion?  Im a fence-sitter on this one, a bit more conservative than on most issues.  Sex is risky business, and abortions should not be easy to get

legalized gambling? This should be a matter left to local communitites.  In my own local community I oppose it.

prostitution?  Should not be made legal 

Sheesh, you're awfully intolerant.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #93 on: July 10, 2005, 11:32:04 PM »

such as?

Do you really think I would change my view of leftists because of what you think?

Leftist philosophy in general has a strong undercurrent of hostility toward any traditionally dominant group.  That includes whites, men and Christians.  Leftists hold people in these groups to a higher standard of behavior than those who don't belong to these groups, and often assign victim status to those outside these groups, regardless of actual circumstances.

so what about white male Christian leftists (such as myself)?
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #94 on: July 10, 2005, 11:34:26 PM »

such as?

you mean there are more than just me?
George W. Bush
eversole_Adam

« Reply #95 on: July 11, 2005, 01:00:42 AM »

gay marriage? Oppose the Use of the term marriage, But think they should have all the same rights.
abortion?  Same stance as Real GWB
legalized gambling? support
prostitution? Cops should crack down much harder
prayer in school?  Fully Support
school uniforms? Up to the local School Board, I would want them for my kids.
drug legalization? oppose, All cases
gun control? support, I think more background checks are needed and only guns for hunting should be alowd.
affirmative action? Strongly Oppose
speed limits? Support, Think they should be faster on US Highways
death penalty? Support
mandatory minimm sentencing? oppose
nini2287
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 2.77, S: -3.39

« Reply #96 on: July 11, 2005, 01:03:14 AM »

gay marriage? strongly support
abortion?  strongly oppose
legalized gambling? stronly support
prostitution? somewhat oppose
prayer in school?  strongly oppose
school uniforms? neutral
drug legalization? somewhat oppose
gun control? should be dealt with on a state or local level
affirmative action? strongly oppose, but be vigilant against  discrimination
speed limits? somewhat support
death penalty? strongly oppose
mandatory minimum sentencing? somewhat oppose
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #97 on: July 11, 2005, 05:55:02 AM »
« Edited: July 11, 2005, 06:08:13 AM by dazzleman »

such as?

Your views can only be explained within the confines of the assumption that you are completely divorced from many of the basic realities of life.

But the bias of the left against white male Christians is why that group generally leans to the right end of the political spectrum.  And please don't trot out examples of you and your clueless friends to argue against that.  White Christian males lean strongly Republican, whatever you say.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #98 on: July 11, 2005, 08:53:12 AM »

Abortion: Favor reasonable restrictions (partial birth, etc.)
Affirmative Action: Oppose preferences
Death penalty: Available for murderers
Drug legalization: Generally favor
Gay 'marriage': Try civil unions
Gun control: The policy ot totalitarians
Legalized gambling: You bet
Manditory minimum sentencing: Crazy judges require it
Prayer in school: Ever heard of the 'free exercise' clause?
Prostitution: Nevada does it right
School uniforms" Local option
Speed limits: Make them reasonable, not artificially low
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #99 on: July 11, 2005, 11:25:41 AM »

gun control? support, I think more background checks are needed and only guns for hunting should be alowd.

Neat! A gun grabbing "conservative".
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 15  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies