Is burial a constitutional right?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 04:05:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Is burial a constitutional right?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ...
Yes [R]

No [R]

Yes [D]

No [D]

Yes [Other]

No [Other]

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 30

Author Topic: Is burial a constitutional right?  (Read 1489 times)
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 06, 2013, 10:24:52 AM »

Inspired by this thread: https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=174508.0

Particularly this post:

Because he was a citizen and a common criminal like any other person, and has a right to burial. He has (had) constitutional rights, you know.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 11:20:07 AM »

In order to be a constitutional right, it would have to, you know, be mentioned in the Constitution...
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 11:27:49 AM »

No, but you're probably breaking a great many state laws leaving a body laying around too long.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2013, 11:37:09 AM »

Yes and no.  In the sense that the choice of burial over other methods of treating a corpse is affected by religion it certainly is a right, so the government could not ban the practice of burial.  But not as in the sense of graveyards being unable to refuse to accept a corpse.  Of course, if graveyards were included in the list of "public accommodations" in Title II of the Civil Rights Act, there would be a right, but not a constitutional right, but a legislative right granted under Congress' power over interstate commerce.  Certainly the Tamerlan Tsarnaev case shows that burial is interstate commerce.
Torie
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2013, 11:37:49 AM »

The question is not focused enough. If you mean, is it Constitutional to prohibit your body from being buried anywhere, on private land, subject to reasonable regulations, yes probably it is not. Cemeteries are a  waste of land to me, but I digress.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2013, 02:21:12 PM »

In order to be a constitutional right, it would have to, you know, be mentioned in the Constitution...
9th amendment.

Right to burial has been recognized for a long time... for all the barbarism of the ancient world, like at Antigone or the Illiad.

The person is no longer in there. The family has the right to bury or cremate the body (or try some of the newer forms like compressed into a diamond or cryogenically frozen). And if there is no family or friends to claim the body, it still needs to be dealt with with respect.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2013, 02:32:35 PM »

Cemeteries are a  waste of land to me, but I digress.

They potentially do a lot of 'good' in reminding people of the extreme brevity of existence.  Of course reminding people of that would tend to increase crime and revolution, and radically reduce 'work-ethic', so for the Interests of Power, you're probably right.  Hide away the reality of the situation.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2013, 02:41:16 PM »

9th amendment.

Ah right, that one. Roll Eyes

The 9th Amendment is probably the stupidest constitutional text ever written. It's meaningless bullsh*t. Saying "the people have more rights than those we have just enumerated, but we won't tell you what these rights are" either means nothing at all or it means the people have whatever rights a judge arbitrarily decides they have.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2013, 03:07:28 PM »

The 9th Amendment is probably the stupidest constitutional text ever written. It's meaningless bullsh*t. Saying "the people have more rights than those we have just enumerated, but we won't tell you what these rights are" either means nothing at all or it means the people have whatever rights a judge arbitrarily decides they have.

Actually its great! don't you like having rights?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2013, 03:15:49 PM »

"Rights" are limitations on the government's ability to act. They are good when they are based on sound principles, but I certainly don't want a judge to be able to tell the government what it can/can't do based on their reading of an utterly vague text.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2013, 04:22:37 PM »

"Rights" are limitations on the government's ability to act. They are good when they are based on sound principles, but I certainly don't want a judge to be able to tell the government what it can/can't do based on their reading of an utterly vague text.

Keep in mind that when the 9th amendment was written, "rights" meant only "negative rights", so the 9th amendment serves to say that "just because we haven't banned a specific way the government can interfere with personal liberty, doesn't mean it can do that".
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2013, 04:26:46 PM »

Keep in mind that when the 9th amendment was written, "rights" meant only "negative rights", so the 9th amendment serves to say that "just because we haven't banned a specific way the government can interfere with personal liberty, doesn't mean it can do that".

But the point is, what is "personal liberty" other than what the Constitution says it is? Should we have the SCOTUS figure out what the government can't do based on what he think constitutes "personal liberty"?
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2013, 04:42:52 PM »

But the point is, what is "personal liberty" other than what the Constitution says it is? Should we have the SCOTUS figure out what the government can't do based on what he think constitutes "personal liberty"?

You'd prefer having to pass new amendments each time a new issue concerning personal liberty arose?  After all, the right to privacy, contraception, abortion, etc.  aren't enumerated rights?  If SCOTUS didn't do it, who would you have do it?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2013, 04:45:43 PM »

You'd prefer having to pass new amendments each time a new issue concerning personal liberty arose?

Yes. And the amending procedure should be made much easier.
Torie
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2013, 06:58:41 PM »

You'd prefer having to pass new amendments each time a new issue concerning personal liberty arose?

How would you make it easier?  I mean the very idea of the Constitution is that it requires a supra majority to change it. Do away with that, and the Constitution becomes the functional equivalent of a mere statute.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2013, 08:16:33 PM »

How would you make it easier?  I mean the very idea of the Constitution is that it requires a supra majority to change it. Do away with that, and the Constitution becomes the functional equivalent of a mere statute.

Well to begin with, it could have required only 3/5 of the each house to propose and 2/3 of the states to accept.  (Note, that if had been the case from the start, then Article the First and the Titles of Nobility Amendment would be part of the Constitution today, and the Child Labor Amendment would only require six more states to ratify it instead of ten as now.  (Further reduce the number of states to 3/5 and the Child Labor Amendment would require 2 more states to ratify it.

There also would likely have been some additional amendments be sent to the states if the threshold were but 3/5 of each house, including the Blaine Amendment, a version of the Bricker Amendment, the Flag Desecration Amendment, each of would have been sent to the sates if votes remained unchanged with the margin lowered to 3/5.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2013, 08:47:20 PM »

Not necessarily.  See, for example, Griswold versus Connecticut.

Burial is a good idea.  It keeps the bacteria underground and the wolves away from our camp.  I don't think it's a right, though.  You could say that the first amendment, which says among other things that "congress shall make no law abridging the free exercise" of religion, implies that folks have the right to bury their dead.  I don't know whether that case has actually come up.  I guess if your religion demands that you bury the dead, then you could try to argue that it is a constitutionally-guaranteed right.

Anyway, I voted No (other)

Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2013, 11:00:37 PM »

Some things really seem unnecessary to put in. Something like this would be one of them. We now need the constitution to tell us that it's okay to bury our dead? Come on.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2013, 01:23:16 AM »

Hmm... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roe_v._Wade
kobidobidog
Rookie
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2013, 01:47:48 PM »

The whole question is brought up with the hopes of a ban crazy legal system can have another thing to ban. When the body no longer has the soul it should be properly disposed of. Satan is in whatever dies. People will war over a shell that has died. They are unawaire that the soul is no longer in the body.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2013, 07:05:23 AM »

Not necessarily.  See, for example, Griswold versus Connecticut.

Since when am I obligated to agree with every SC decision?

(And yes, I would have been with the minority on Roe. My pragmatic self is glad the Court made a decision that improved the lives of millions of women, but as a judge my mission is to uphold the law, not to make decision based on policy.)
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2013, 07:31:30 PM »

Since when am I obligated to agree with every SC decision?

Well obviously you don't have to agree with it.  Nix vs. Heddon, in my opinion, was a terrible decision.  As was Plessy.  And, when you get right down to it, so was Marbury, but because of Marbury--which was commendable and exquisite in terms of political intrigue because it changed the way that the US government operates--there are rights not even hinted at in the constitution that become rights when a panel of presidentially-appointed lawyers so decides.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2013, 09:36:36 PM »
« Edited: June 09, 2013, 11:05:12 AM by त्रू फ़ॅदृऌिस्ट (True Federalist) »

Nix vs. Heddon, in my opinion, was a terrible decision.

Wny?  Beyond the common meanings of the words "fruit" and "vegetable", the text of the Tariff Act of 1883 clearly indicated that Congress was thinking of "fruit" as a sweet food suitable for use as a dessert as shown by item 302 on the tariff list.  Granted we don't tend to think of fruit as a dessert these days, but this case was decided then, not now.

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

But even if you think the Court should not have tried to infer whether Congress intended for a tomato to be a vegetable or a fruit, Nix still loses under Chevron deference. (Yes, I know that the Chevron case is a century later, but the Chevron case only expressed clearly what had been Court doctrine for quite some time.)
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2013, 02:36:40 AM »

The tomato never really made it as a handfruit, but was it the tomato's fault?  I cite Nix as a causative factor, at least in part.  I also think that it was because it wasn't known to the Asians and Europeans and Africans in the pre-Columbian era.  But here in the Americas it was the supreme court that caused the tomato to be relegated to the sad role of saladfruit.

We actually eat tomato as a handfruit in my house.  My son likes them, freshly picked and washed, and so do I.  He's allergic to apples and peaches, so it works out well.  If you look at my fruitbowl right now, you'll find bananas, oranges, and tomatoes. 
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2013, 11:32:31 AM »

I like tomatoes a lot as well, but it misses the point to think that the Nix decision caused them to be thought of as vegetables instead of fruits, the same as some other botanical fruits treated as vegetables, such as squash and cucumbers as well as a close relative of the tomato, the eggplant (or aubergine for any Brits reading this). (The potato is also in the same genus as the tomato, but we eat a different part of it.) Rather the fact that the tomato is culinary treated as a vegetable rather than a fruit is what leads to the Nix decision.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies