do you remember saturday am cartoons on network tv?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 30, 2024, 03:28:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  do you remember saturday am cartoons on network tv?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ....
yes

no

i was born during the clinton admin.

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 35

Author Topic: do you remember saturday am cartoons on network tv?  (Read 1177 times)
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 25, 2013, 06:51:20 PM »

yes
Thomas D
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: -6.61

« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2013, 06:52:27 PM »

Yes. I watched Garfield on CBS.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2013, 09:42:21 PM »

Sure.  But the third option up there is too close to home, because I now have students born during the Clinton administration.  Sad
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2013, 09:44:52 PM »

I was always more of a "cartoons or family programming on network TV after I get off the school bus."  Read:  Full House, Family Matters... and also cartoons like Darkwing Duck, Tail Spin, and Chip and Dale:  Rescue Rangers.  Ahh nostalgia Cheesy
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2013, 09:52:45 PM »

Of course. Sadly, my mother found religion in the early 1990s and starting dragging me to synagogue against my will. Absolutely cruel! I remember one time I refused to leave the car, so I sat there with nothing to do for three hours while she did the Jew thing. It was still a better time than going inside would have been. Local wrestling was also popular here on Saturday morning. Same guy who did still does the weather on local tv did the announcing. Every now and then, you'd see somebody you knew on tv for a second when they panned the audience. That was a big fudging deal!
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2013, 10:15:35 PM »

Of course. Sadly, my mother found religion in the early 1990s and starting dragging me to synagogue against my will. Absolutely cruel! I remember one time I refused to leave the car, so I sat there with nothing to do for three hours while she did the Jew thing. It was still a better time than going inside would have been. Local wrestling was also popular here on Saturday morning. Same guy who did still does the weather on local tv did the announcing. Every now and then, you'd see somebody you knew on tv for a second when they panned the audience. That was a big fudging deal!

Synagogue lasts three hours? Brutal.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2013, 10:18:37 PM »

BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2013, 10:26:19 PM »

The reason I refuse to watch any episodes of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles cartoon today is because I know it'll probably be pretty awful to my adult self and ruin my memories of it.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2013, 10:28:36 PM »

Yeah, of course. Recess was a great show.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2013, 10:32:29 PM »

Synagogue lasts three hours? Brutal.
You have no idea. Very few people would arrive for the beginning. It would start at 9:15 am. People would trickle in all morning. But they didn't miss much because mostly it's the same procession of prayers, with slight variations, repeated several times. And then Memphis always tests the tornado sirens every Saturday morning at noon. They still do. And there was a siren across the street. So with about 10 minutes left, there would be this ridiculous blaring interruption. But it apparently never occurred to anybody to start 10 minutes early to prevent this problem from happening. Because it happened every week. It probably still happens, but I haven't been in many years. Maybe I'll ask my mother. She still goes every week. Afterwards, they'd have a light lunch of tuna salad, egg salad, Ritz crackers, and a little bit of fruit. And some weak store bought cookies. But they would also have shot glasses of wine, which we used to sneak in middle school. It was always Manischewitz wine which is crazy, crazy sweet. So sweet only a child would want to drink it, but it was the best wine in the world to our 12 year old palates. That was actually pretty fun, but totally not worth all the tedium of getting to that point.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2013, 10:50:00 PM »
« Edited: May 25, 2013, 10:52:22 PM by So the Heroes Fall »

Yeah that sounds pretty awful and boring. I say a lot that even if I was raised Jewish I would just convert to Christian later, and that confirms it. No way I'd ever be going to synagogue.

But anyway, the later Cartoon Network cartoons (Dexter's Laboratory, Powerpuff Girls, Johnny Bravo) were way better than any Saturday morning cartoons.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2013, 11:37:05 PM »

Local wrestling was also popular here on Saturday morning. Same guy who did still does the weather on local tv did the announcing. Every now and then, you'd see somebody you knew on tv for a second when they panned the audience. That was a big fudging deal!

Ah yes, Saturday Morning Wrestling.  I had the luck of living on the border between two television markets that were also on the border of the wrestling territories back then.  So I got a double dose of Georgia Championship Wrestling and Mid-Atlantic Championship Wrestling.  The closing match would almost always be for the "Television Championship" with a time limit of the television time remaining.  For some reason, the bell to signal time up would often sound between two and three when the face had the heel in a pin.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2013, 12:20:15 AM »

The Saturday morning Pac-Man cartoon, my earliest cartoon memory:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FR-QY9ldupQ
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2013, 02:46:27 AM »

Yeah, of course. Recess was a great show.

That was my first thought as well.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2013, 01:20:42 PM »

Me too
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2013, 04:11:45 PM »

Yes, and what a depressing memory that is!  To be awake in the morning on a Saturday.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2013, 05:21:30 PM »

Aw, man.  You'd also miss Soul Train, which really was the best part of Saturday mornings.  I don't know how you can call your life complete.  Did you at least grow a big Jew afro, so you could get into the disco clubs?

I loved Saturday mornings, but more because of Don Cornelius than Scooby Doo. 

afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2013, 05:25:22 PM »

We had a similar tradition in Britain, though we had three hour long studio shows. I remember watching everything from He-Man to David the Gnome. Happy days.

There's a gag in there for you if you can find it.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2013, 05:30:41 PM »

I sure do remember Saturday Morning Cartoons.  I remember the time when cartoons were still good and decent like Looney Tunes, Warner Brothers, Darkwing Duck after school.  My brother was more into cartoons than I was.  He was born in 1976, so he had more time to enjoy the cartoons all the way until he left for Naval Boot Camp in 1994.  I was more into "adult" shows like news and politics, but I could still enjoy a good Bugs Bunny cartoon or Donald/Daffy Duck cartoon.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2013, 06:11:30 PM »

We had a similar tradition in Britain, though we had three hour long studio shows. I remember watching everything from He-Man to David the Gnome. Happy days.

There's a gag in there for you if you can find it.

I found it, but the gag jumped the shark.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2013, 02:28:30 AM »

Aw, man.  You'd also miss Soul Train, which really was the best part of Saturday mornings.  I don't know how you can call your life complete.  Did you at least grow a big Jew afro, so you could get into the disco clubs?
Growing up in the whitey-white suburbs, I never missed Soul Train.  I was also equally fascinated with Hee-Haw.  They both seemed exotic to me.  Fat Albert was a must watch, too.
I loved Saturday mornings, but more because of Don Cornelius than Scooby Doo. 

angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2013, 07:56:55 AM »

I never missed Soul Train.  I was also equally fascinated with Hee-Haw.  They both seemed exotic to me.  Fat Albert was a must watch, too.

I liked Fat Albert as well.  I liked to talk like Mushmouth.  Heybe fatbe albe.  Whatbe y'allbe doin?  But I really liked the clothes Rudy wore.  It totally reminded me of the clothes on Soul Train.  In the first grade I got my mother to buy me a pair of purple polyester bell bottoms and matching purple polyester vest and a white turtleneck pullover and a pair of black high platform shoes.  I wore that on picture day.  Very cool.  I still have that picture in a 5x7 frame.  By the time I had my first communion the frilly disco shirts were in.  I had a light blue three-piece polyester suit and very frilly shirt.  Again, the tall high-heeled platform black dress shoes were obligatory.  No necktie.  Open wide collar.  I was totally Disco Stu at my first communion.  When I was eight she started letting us go to the skating rink.  Then the Village People album came out.  Sister Sledge.  Donna Summer.  That was the height of the disco era.  We'd dress up in our polyester and dance on those skates.  I fell quite a few times, but I mastered quite a few good moves.  Soul Train was always my inspiration.

Hee Haw was something that came on later in the evening as I recall.  I actually liked the comedy parts.  I liked the part where they spelled the name of some town backward, and I liked the sketch called "Gloom, Despair and Agony On Me."  I agree that it all seemed very exotic.  Especially the hats.

The fat part about fat albert was pretty exotic as well.  Are you old enough to remember when most people weren't fat?  If I close my eyes and concentrate, I can remember.  Look at any old home movie or video.  Those thin people in the video I posted earlier in this post were normal back then.  Nowadays I have to say that their skinnyness actually seems more exotic.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies