The Oldiesfreak Deluge of Absurdity, Ignorance, and Bad Posts III
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 24, 2024, 08:00:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The Oldiesfreak Deluge of Absurdity, Ignorance, and Bad Posts III
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 86
Author Topic: The Oldiesfreak Deluge of Absurdity, Ignorance, and Bad Posts III  (Read 210883 times)
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #225 on: July 05, 2013, 11:53:02 AM »

This might very well be altogether the best/worst display of slack-jawed idiocy on this general subject:
Wow, I thought the countries of Western Europe were friends and allies of the United States. Suddenly helping us catch a fugitive guilty of espionage is some act of supreme cowardice and spinelessness?? Ridiculous. I would hope and expect the United States to do the same if a German or Austrian or Italian or whatever criminal on the run was possibly flying through American airspace. 

It's funny how Lief has become Obamahack#1
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #226 on: July 05, 2013, 12:37:22 PM »

This might very well be altogether the best/worst display of slack-jawed idiocy on this general subject:
Wow, I thought the countries of Western Europe were friends and allies of the United States. Suddenly helping us catch a fugitive guilty of espionage is some act of supreme cowardice and spinelessness?? Ridiculous. I would hope and expect the United States to do the same if a German or Austrian or Italian or whatever criminal on the run was possibly flying through American airspace. 
Given that Edward Snowden's whole point has been proving that Western Europe certainly doesn't have any friends or allies in Washington...
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #227 on: July 05, 2013, 12:45:18 PM »

-Repeal the Second Amendment
-Constitutional Amendment banning Gay Marriage nationwide

Another reason to be thankful that most posters here will never get elected to public office.
Pheurton Skeurto
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #228 on: July 05, 2013, 05:55:56 PM »

Yes...in spite of the great progressive circle jerk, there are still people that believe in traditional marriage regulations.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #229 on: July 05, 2013, 11:03:55 PM »
« Edited: July 05, 2013, 11:07:45 PM by asexual trans victimologist »

Yes...in spite of the great progressive circle jerk, there are still people that believe in traditional marriage regulations.

To me the most interesting thing about this post is the use of 'traditional' and 'regulations' in the same context. It's like he's trying to have both sides of Weber or something.

Looks like a ton of people voted on here. Based on ideology of federal government, Goldwater would have been possibly the greatest president of all-time. McCain and Romney would have done great at bringing the parties together and moderation though.
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #230 on: July 06, 2013, 12:11:04 AM »

This will sound harsh but it's absolutely true and meant as a constructive criticism; the "a few families control all the" resources/banks/industries/media etc. line of rhetoric is essentially a dog-whistle for "Jews."  It's literally a sentence that could come right out of a KKK pamphlet circa 1920 (even back then such types often even used the "a few families" euphemism).

Now, I'm NOT accusing you of intentionally using dog-whistle language, just as most Republicans who talk about felons and welfare queens are truly not even aware that blacks might find that offensive.  Nevertheless, it's something I think a lot of left-wingers (and "populist" libertarians often even more so) do a little too often for comfort.

Similarly, why is it that Goldman Sachs is always the bank that is singled out for denunciation, even though it is one of the smallest of the major investment banks and had the least to do with the financial crisis?  Well, it's an appeal to the listener's subconscious biases.  If you mention the far larger and more culpable Citigroup or Bank of America, they might subconsciously wonder what you have against cities or America, whereas Goldman Sachs sure sounds like a coven of hook-nosed money-grubbers.

(Note: None of this is to imply I am a fan of Goldman Sachs or third-world corruption).
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #231 on: July 06, 2013, 01:16:39 PM »

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=175909.0

Just read the title.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #232 on: July 06, 2013, 01:55:10 PM »
« Edited: July 06, 2013, 01:57:56 PM by traininthedistance »

This will sound harsh but it's absolutely true and meant as a constructive criticism; the "a few families control all the" resources/banks/industries/media etc. line of rhetoric is essentially a dog-whistle for "Jews."  It's literally a sentence that could come right out of a KKK pamphlet circa 1920 (even back then such types often even used the "a few families" euphemism).

Now, I'm NOT accusing you of intentionally using dog-whistle language, just as most Republicans who talk about felons and welfare queens are truly not even aware that blacks might find that offensive.  Nevertheless, it's something I think a lot of left-wingers (and "populist" libertarians often even more so) do a little too often for comfort.

Similarly, why is it that Goldman Sachs is always the bank that is singled out for denunciation, even though it is one of the smallest of the major investment banks and had the least to do with the financial crisis?  Well, it's an appeal to the listener's subconscious biases.  If you mention the far larger and more culpable Citigroup or Bank of America, they might subconsciously wonder what you have against cities or America, whereas Goldman Sachs sure sounds like a coven of hook-nosed money-grubbers.

(Note: None of this is to imply I am a fan of Goldman Sachs or third-world corruption).

I hate to agree with wormy on anything... but he's actually quite correct here.  Talking about "a few families" controlling stuff is in fact a well-worn anti-Semitic dog-whistle, whether you can (or want to) hear it or not.  Sorry, bud.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #233 on: July 06, 2013, 02:18:45 PM »

Mitt Romney is a Jew. Who knew?
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #234 on: July 06, 2013, 02:50:31 PM »

This will sound harsh but it's absolutely true and meant as a constructive criticism; the "a few families control all the" resources/banks/industries/media etc. line of rhetoric is essentially a dog-whistle for "Jews."  It's literally a sentence that could come right out of a KKK pamphlet circa 1920 (even back then such types often even used the "a few families" euphemism).

Now, I'm NOT accusing you of intentionally using dog-whistle language, just as most Republicans who talk about felons and welfare queens are truly not even aware that blacks might find that offensive.  Nevertheless, it's something I think a lot of left-wingers (and "populist" libertarians often even more so) do a little too often for comfort.

Similarly, why is it that Goldman Sachs is always the bank that is singled out for denunciation, even though it is one of the smallest of the major investment banks and had the least to do with the financial crisis?  Well, it's an appeal to the listener's subconscious biases.  If you mention the far larger and more culpable Citigroup or Bank of America, they might subconsciously wonder what you have against cities or America, whereas Goldman Sachs sure sounds like a coven of hook-nosed money-grubbers.

I hate to agree with wormy on anything... but he's actually quite correct here.  Talking about "a few families" controlling stuff is in fact a well-worn anti-Semitic dog-whistle, whether you can (or want to) hear it or not.  Sorry, bud.

So acknowledging wealth centralisation and its effects under capitalism is immediately filed under anti-Semitism because racists use it as an argument for something else? I suppose we can't acknowledge that our politicians are lobbied by powerful interests either, lest we wish to be compared to the jews-rule-the-world crew. Don't be absurd.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #235 on: July 06, 2013, 03:18:36 PM »

So acknowledging wealth centralisation and its effects under capitalism is immediately filed under anti-Semitism because racists use it as an argument for something else? I suppose we can't acknowledge that our politicians are lobbied by powerful interests either, lest we wish to be compared to the jews-rule-the-world crew. Don't be absurd.

No, you just need to find phrasing that doesn't have that sort of ugly subtext and baggage.  It's not that hard, really.
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #236 on: July 06, 2013, 06:25:33 PM »
« Edited: July 06, 2013, 06:28:42 PM by Leftbehind »

"He celebrated Thatcher's death and he's not a fan of prostitution: I rest my case."

Do f**k off you tiresome tit.

No, you just need to find phrasing that doesn't have that sort of ugly subtext and baggage.  It's not that hard, really.

That baggage is a nonsense, and if we took that principle to its conclusion, half the right-wing arguments would be unavailable because fascists used them.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #237 on: July 06, 2013, 06:33:10 PM »

No, you just need to find phrasing that doesn't have that sort of ugly subtext and baggage.  It's not that hard, really.

That baggage is a nonsense, and if we took that principle to its conclusion, half the right-wing arguments would be unavailable because fascists used them.

Well...yea...
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #238 on: July 06, 2013, 06:46:13 PM »

This will sound harsh but it's absolutely true and meant as a constructive criticism; the "a few families control all the" resources/banks/industries/media etc. line of rhetoric is essentially a dog-whistle for "Jews."  It's literally a sentence that could come right out of a KKK pamphlet circa 1920 (even back then such types often even used the "a few families" euphemism).

Now, I'm NOT accusing you of intentionally using dog-whistle language, just as most Republicans who talk about felons and welfare queens are truly not even aware that blacks might find that offensive.  Nevertheless, it's something I think a lot of left-wingers (and "populist" libertarians often even more so) do a little too often for comfort.

Similarly, why is it that Goldman Sachs is always the bank that is singled out for denunciation, even though it is one of the smallest of the major investment banks and had the least to do with the financial crisis?  Well, it's an appeal to the listener's subconscious biases.  If you mention the far larger and more culpable Citigroup or Bank of America, they might subconsciously wonder what you have against cities or America, whereas Goldman Sachs sure sounds like a coven of hook-nosed money-grubbers.

I hate to agree with wormy on anything... but he's actually quite correct here.  Talking about "a few families" controlling stuff is in fact a well-worn anti-Semitic dog-whistle, whether you can (or want to) hear it or not.  Sorry, bud.

Don't bother giving him attention. He's a faux-leftist prick who wants to look cool. Smiley

FAKE LEFTIST FAAAAAAAAAKE YUR NOT A REAAAAAAAL LIBRUL LIKE ME (who supports the death penalty)
The Simpsons Cinematic Universe
MustCrushCapitalism
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.23, S: -2.78

« Reply #239 on: July 06, 2013, 06:48:57 PM »

Some of you seem too concerned with connotations of different phrases. Intended meaning is far more important. Leftbehind clearly did not mean to use that phrase in an anti-semitic context. The argument that he should have worded it differently would be stronger if we were discussing a slogan or rhetorical phrase, rather than a meaningful comment.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #240 on: July 06, 2013, 07:49:50 PM »

The "Two Hundred Families" was a major talking point of the French left at the time when it was led by a guy named Léon Blum. Just throwing this out there...
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #241 on: July 06, 2013, 09:34:41 PM »

If abortion is banned, we'll have far more Kermit Gosnells.
Wrong.  Contraceptives and adoption will still be legal.

Democrats don't know what adoption is and contraceptives to them are only political tools.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #242 on: July 07, 2013, 12:24:24 AM »

The "Two Hundred Families" was a major talking point of the French left at the time when it was led by a guy named Léon Blum. Just throwing this out there...

Yes, the two hundred families of the Bank of France are always what I think of first in this context.

(I realize that might sound sarcastic; it's not.)
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #243 on: July 07, 2013, 04:13:07 AM »

Go back in time and tell Thomas Jefferson by law he has to pay for teens to have condoms for sex.

I was going to put that in the comedy thread Tongue

Ha. It could have worked there, too. What a bizarre non sequitur of a post.

That's pretty much what it comes down to though. Sandra Fluke wants us to pay for her to have sex. I mean a woman who wants someone to pay for her to have sex is called a prostitute.

Continuing the great tradition of posting directly into the Deluge, I see.
Kushahontas
floating_to_sea
Kenya

« Reply #244 on: July 07, 2013, 08:39:16 AM »

Zimmerman would make a tremendous secretary of defense.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #245 on: July 07, 2013, 10:53:58 AM »

The former, but only to work as security guards and janitors.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #246 on: July 07, 2013, 06:09:38 PM »

Guys, calm down.  There are way bigger fish to fry than what sex JJ is.  There is absolutely no need to beat me up over something so trivial.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #247 on: July 07, 2013, 08:04:28 PM »

It's a lot less bigoted than a lot of the academic culture you see in certain circles.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #248 on: July 08, 2013, 02:37:20 AM »

My experiences in academia are limited to the German-speaking world and what I have seen and heard from certain faculties. However, even if I leave aside all issues related to the political one-sidedness at many universities I would say that Hagrid raises a valid point. Apart from the fact that petty intrigues and power struggles are widespread, there are professors who act and are treated like little kings; their assistants and students follow them like a herd of sheep. In academic fields like Indo-European studies (!) researchers are openly ridiculed for subscribing to differing schools of thought or working within certain theoretical frameworks. There are many people at university who live in the often-quoted ivory tower who have little or no interest in explaining to non-academic people why they do research in their particular fields and what the value of their studies is; on the contrary, I have overheard several conversations where students made fun of "narrow-minded" people who dared to ask them what they would do with their degrees once they had finished their studies.
I don't claim that academics are worse people than the rest of society but it would be naive to assume that they are better or less flawless than your average "redneck"; the well-educated aren't any less prone to bigotry than your average "redneck".
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #249 on: July 08, 2013, 08:00:40 AM »

FF of course. Glad to see him back seeking elected office again.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 86  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies