Opinion of Redneck Culture
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 07:54:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Opinion of Redneck Culture
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Opinion of Redneck Culture
Freedom Culture

Horrible Culture

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 58

Author Topic: Opinion of Redneck Culture  (Read 5227 times)
opebo
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2013, 08:12:41 AM »

It depends.  The redneck's I've know in Eastern KY and in TN are cool.  The ones in rural SC, horrible.  The ones in rural MO, the worst.

Haha, yes.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2013, 08:48:10 AM »

Positively, there is a difference between rural or country culture, particularly where educated and affluent country people do live, and redneck culture. That's not to be confused.

Redneck culture is social-normative alone to a point that I think most posters here would find thoroughly objectionable, but also nationalistic, often sexist, and in pockets racist. The pastoral image of the noble thresher lamenting the lost love of his Celia or whatever is really not to be found in the boondocks of the USA.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2013, 02:28:38 PM »

-I live in a dense urban area.
-I don't own a gun.
-I don't like country music.

Take a guess.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2013, 02:45:17 PM »

Around western Pennsylvania you certainly get your exposure to it, although there is a respectable mix of people these days. The culture is usually small and hyper social-normative with exceedingly limited interests. Gossip, hunting, American flags, NASCAR, you know. Had to vote H on this one. Often wondered about the similarities / differences between European rednecks and American rednecks, though. 

Oh dear lord, yeah. Especially outside the city. When I was in high school, there was a house two doors up that used to fly the confederate flag. Actually, now that I think of it, most of the people on the block really despised that family....

Hunting is big, but you're wrong if you think NASCAR is preferred by Western PA rednecks. It's the Steelers and always will be the Steelers.... I don't really know about the preference for gossip, since I've never really been around any of that.

It's not rednecks that annoy me. I grew up in that sort of environment. It's those neo-confederate ones whom I really despise. Pennsylvanians who fly the stars and bars are beyond low in my opinion considering that the war has been over for 150 years, that side lost and Pennsylvania was a union state!
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2013, 02:56:13 PM »

Voted FC, but I certainly prefer "country culture" to "redneck culture," as DemPGH defines it.

I mean, I like country music, I'm pretty religious, I live in a rural area, I don't mind guns so much, I like mountains, and I don't really like cities.  On the other hand, I don't own a Confederate flag, I don't really have an accent, and there isn't a racist bone in my body.  I don't know what terms I'd label myself with, but "redneck" probably isn't one of them.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2013, 03:59:58 PM »

Oh, and the term itself has rather progressive origins, just as an fyi

You must be logged in to read this quote.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2013, 05:58:15 PM »

Oh, and the term itself has rather progressive origins, just as an fyi

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Which is about as relevant to 2013 as the fact that New Jersey voted for that racist Southern Democrat McClellan.

Tongue
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2013, 06:15:04 PM »

Which is about as relevant to 2013 as the fact that New Jersey voted for that racist Southern Democrat McClellan.

Tongue

Huh

He wasn't southern. He was a Union General for Gods sake. NJ was his home state. 
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2013, 06:29:45 PM »

Tongue

Huh

He wasn't southern. He was a Union General for Gods sake. NJ was his home state. 

Sorry, forum in-joke. 
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2013, 07:11:37 PM »

Tongue

Huh

Sorry, forum in-joke. 

It is? Why do I not know of this? Huh I'm usually not one to miss out on the in-jokes here.
(Now I feel a bit emberrassed.)
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2013, 09:14:10 PM »

I'm vaguely pro-Bogan, our white underclass, so I guess I have to vote positively on this.

rejectamenta
Botswana

« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2013, 10:03:08 PM »

Here's some redneck trivia: the last NASCAR champion from the South proper was Bobby Labonte.. in 2000, from Corpus Christi, TX. Since then the victors have been from Michigan, Indiana, California (2, Jimmie Johnson and Jeff Gordon), Nevada and Wisconsin. Kind of funny for a sport purportedly enjoyed solely by southern rednecks.

Here, have an accomplished international racer from Colombia winning a NASCAR race and an Aussie doing the same. Both on road courses to boot, if anyone still thinks NASCAR is only about driving in circles.

I'm vaguely pro-Bogan, our white underclass, so I guess I have to vote positively on this.

Wonderful! I consider myself pro-Bogan for solidarity purposes, though I don't know any personally.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2013, 01:52:15 PM »

itt: way too much smug elitism
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2013, 02:07:45 PM »

-I live in a dense urban area.
-I don't own a gun.
-I don't like country music.

Take a guess.

i love country music.  not a big fan of the current pop country, though.

to answer the question, i grew up in areas infested with rednecks.  im glad to be away from such people now.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2013, 02:10:40 PM »

Tongue

Huh

Sorry, forum in-joke. 

It is? Why do I not know of this? Huh I'm usually not one to miss out on the in-jokes here.
(Now I feel a bit emberrassed.)

It's largely summarized in 'The Official Oldiesfreak Thread'.
Enderman
Jack Enderman
United States

« Reply #40 on: July 05, 2013, 03:17:40 PM »

If they can do this:

and be like this after the ordeal:

they're good in my book...
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #41 on: July 05, 2013, 06:28:46 PM »

I'm still not especially clear on what is meant by "redneck culture." Is it Kid Rock and Ed Hardy clothing?
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #42 on: July 07, 2013, 11:46:07 AM »

Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #43 on: July 07, 2013, 01:26:17 PM »

Not sure I know what red neck culture is, but they're evidently working class, so voted FF.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #44 on: July 07, 2013, 01:32:15 PM »

It's a lot less bigoted than a lot of the academic culture you see in certain circles. So I'd call it a freedom culture.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #45 on: July 07, 2013, 03:56:46 PM »

Around western Pennsylvania you certainly get your exposure to it, although there is a respectable mix of people these days. The culture is usually small and hyper social-normative with exceedingly limited interests. Gossip, hunting, American flags, NASCAR, you know. Had to vote H on this one. Often wondered about the similarities / differences between European rednecks and American rednecks, though. 

Oh dear lord, yeah. Especially outside the city. When I was in high school, there was a house two doors up that used to fly the confederate flag. Actually, now that I think of it, most of the people on the block really despised that family....

Hunting is big, but you're wrong if you think NASCAR is preferred by Western PA rednecks. It's the Steelers and always will be the Steelers.... I don't really know about the preference for gossip, since I've never really been around any of that.

It's not rednecks that annoy me. I grew up in that sort of environment. It's those neo-confederate ones whom I really despise. Pennsylvanians who fly the stars and bars are beyond low in my opinion considering that the war has been over for 150 years, that side lost and Pennsylvania was a union state!

Yeah, and thankfully I've not run into many Confederate types, especially in Greensburg or Pitt, but positively, they populate the rural areas in pockets here. If you go up I-79 into no-man's-land you'll absolutely find that. It baffles me too, although I wonder if with many of them it isn't so much a political statement as just a symbolic "I'm a redneck and damn proud" kind of statement. Or else very misguided notions about the Confederacy.

Because western PA and OH and upstate NY and so forth are home to a lot of Amish, I'm tempted to go into a digression on that, but I'll pass. Suffice to say that despite their use of those awful buggies, which should not be allowed on two lane highways, they do partake in modern amenities. Somewhat hypocritically and certainly deceptively.

I'm still not especially clear on what is meant by "redneck culture." Is it Kid Rock and Ed Hardy clothing?

It's just woodsy, backward, and extremely social-normative. It's a little like defining "life."

Younger rednecks may be into that or Charlie Daniels or whatever, but maybe not. It's more one's worldview and lifestyle, I think.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #46 on: July 07, 2013, 03:58:11 PM »

rejectamenta
Botswana

« Reply #47 on: July 07, 2013, 10:19:45 PM »

I am now a literal redneck (and back, and face, and arms oh my goodness) after the Pocono Indycar 400. I had nearly forgotten how gorgeous the Pennsylvania countryside was.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies