Should alcohol advertising be legal?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 03:22:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Should alcohol advertising be legal?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Well, Tik, obviously I would say..
Yes

No

Yes, but it depends..

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 51

Author Topic: Should alcohol advertising be legal?  (Read 4177 times)
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 29, 2013, 07:16:11 AM »

I mostly made this poll to compare it to the tobacco poll.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 01:02:03 PM »

Absolutely.  It's a legal product.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 01:31:18 PM »

Yes, but I would not be adverse to restricting alcohol ads on television programs likely to be watched by children.  Note that I said "by children", not "only by children", or "primarily by children".  So while the networks and leagues would squawk, a ban on alcohol advertisements on most sports programming would be fine by me.  Late night sports programs, or programs filtered by a set-top box that would allow viewers to choose whether to watch alcohol ads would be acceptable to me.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 01:56:05 PM »

Absolutely.  It's a legal product.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 03:28:47 PM »
« Edited: April 29, 2013, 05:06:42 PM by HockeyDude »

Sure, but ideally not until less harmful psychoactives like marijuana and magic mushrooms are allowed to have advertising, too.  It sad that such a harmful product is the only way to get messed up that gets the "socially acceptable" title.  We should be letting the kids know that if you must partake, there are less harmful options available.  
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2013, 03:55:50 PM »

Yes, but I would not be adverse to restricting alcohol ads on television programs likely to be watched by children.  Note that I said "by children", not "only by children", or "primarily by children".  So while the networks and leagues would squawk, a ban on alcohol advertisements on most sports programming would be fine by me.  Late night sports programs, or programs filtered by a set-top box that would allow viewers to choose whether to watch alcohol ads would be acceptable to me.

Are you including beer in your restrictions?
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2013, 05:09:27 PM »

Yes.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2013, 06:00:19 PM »

Yes.  For anything whose sale is restricted as to the age of the purchaser, I'd be in favor of restrictions on the time and manner of advertising of those products so as to keep from advertising increasing underage demand.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2013, 06:18:07 PM »

I have no problems with alcohol advertising.

I just hate television commercials in general.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2013, 06:36:03 PM »
« Edited: April 29, 2013, 06:41:52 PM by Northeast Representative Goldwater »

Yes, of course it should.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2013, 10:22:44 PM »

Yes, because this.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2013, 08:56:52 AM »

Ideally, most advertising would be illegal.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2013, 03:08:53 PM »

Yes.  For anything whose sale is restricted as to the age of the purchaser, I'd be in favor of restrictions on the time and manner of advertising of those products so as to keep from advertising increasing underage demand.

Ok. I disagree completely but at least you're consistent.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2013, 10:43:52 AM »

Yes.

Anyone who answers "no" is a total nanny.  ANd I'm saying this as a former alcoholic.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2013, 05:53:02 PM »

If restricting advertisements is "nanny statism" then that stupid term has officially lost all meaning.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2013, 07:54:25 PM »

If restricting advertisements is "nanny statism" then that stupid term has officially lost all meaning.

Okay, do you prefer the term stupid unnecessary regulation?
Wake Me Up When The Hard Border Ends
Anton Kreitzer
YaBB God
Australia

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: 3.11

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2013, 09:40:47 PM »

I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2013, 10:08:57 PM »

I'll admit to loving this Johnnie Walker spot, but I'd support strict limits on how any unhealthful and socially corrosive substance like alcohol can be marketed.

Sheesh? Are you also actually anti-marijuana?
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2013, 09:53:46 AM »

This.  My next question.

In my defense, I was using the term "nannies" in regards to making alcohol advertisements illegal.  I mean really, if you are going to ban advertisements for a product, why not just ban it wholesale?  Not (like Nix's post indicated) regulating the advertisement thereof, which I am uncertain of.  I can see the argument for not having alcohol commercials on when kids are watching Johnny Quest, but I don't see what the big deal would be with having tv ads for Dos Equis when Monday Night NFL is on.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2013, 09:59:16 AM »

I'll admit to loving this Johnnie Walker spot, but I'd support strict limits on how any unhealthful and socially corrosive substance like alcohol can be marketed.

Do I believe that marijuana should be illegal? Of course not. I'm not sure how that follows from my comment.

That was a pretty illogical comment from BRTD.  After all, most suggestions I've seen for legalizing marijuana have been along pretty similar lines.  What does he want?  To be able to just walk into a Walgreens and get a pack of Mary Janes for $1.82 without showing ID?

Of course, BRTD will find this a ridiculous counter, but I should point out that this is how his mind seems to work on a daily basis.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2013, 11:05:39 AM »

Do I believe that marijuana should be illegal? Of course not. I'm not sure how that follows from my comment.

Well it sounds similar to the wording the nanny statist organizations screaming in Colorado and Washington were saying. Also this country's alcohol laws are really really really f**king stupid and much worse than most places so I'm not too fond to any implications as to that "Alcohol is really bad!" (especially as for most people it's not.)

That was a pretty illogical comment from BRTD.  After all, most suggestions I've seen for legalizing marijuana have been along pretty similar lines.  What does he want?  To be able to just walk into a Walgreens and get a pack of Mary Janes for $1.82 without showing ID?

Of course, BRTD will find this a ridiculous counter, but I should point out that this is how his mind seems to work on a daily basis.

It's obvious the price will not be that low, and obviously any law will require ID, but otherwise I don't see what's so bad about that.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2013, 06:28:04 PM »

This.  My next question.

In my defense, I was using the term "nannies" in regards to making alcohol advertisements illegal.  I mean really, if you are going to ban advertisements for a product, why not just ban it wholesale?  Not (like Nix's post indicated) regulating the advertisement thereof, which I am uncertain of.  I can see the argument for not having alcohol commercials on when kids are watching Johnny Quest, but I don't see what the big deal would be with having tv ads for Dos Equis when Monday Night NFL is on.

Well my position is that all advertising should be banned. I don't really care about the morality or harmfulness of the product being advertised.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2013, 09:38:36 PM »

This.  My next question.

Well my position is that all advertising should be banned. I don't really care about the morality or harmfulness of the product being advertised.

Aside from being blatantly unconstitutional that would also effectively end all television aside from premium networks, any type of free print publications, and also just about all free websites as well. Hell probably even this one.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2013, 11:27:05 PM »

The Super Bowl wouldn't be the same without it.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2013, 01:49:01 AM »

Absolutely, but I could possibly see restricting ads targeting children.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies