How forumites have evolved (or not) on equal marriage
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 12, 2024, 08:20:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  How forumites have evolved (or not) on equal marriage
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7
Author Topic: How forumites have evolved (or not) on equal marriage  (Read 12406 times)
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: March 26, 2013, 12:01:34 PM »

LOOK AT ME EVOLVE

2. gay marriage: I support civil unions- calling it marriage by name would anger many conservative Christians.

[X] Same-sex marriage, even if not in name. (CL)

Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #51 on: March 26, 2013, 12:05:04 PM »

You can add me to the "evolved" list.  I'm still working out some kinks and putting down some uprisings within my own heart, but other than that, I have "evolved" on this issue.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #52 on: March 26, 2013, 12:11:26 PM »

I've evolved to support SSM, albeit kicking and screaming.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #53 on: March 26, 2013, 12:15:36 PM »

I hate that acronym SSM. I've hated it with unnatural passion ever since I first laid eyes on it, which was only a few weeks ago. It makes me think of BDSM and of the Euro Crisis at the same time.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #54 on: March 26, 2013, 12:23:29 PM »

I hate that acronym SSM. I've hated it with unnatural passion ever since I first laid eyes on it, which was only a few weeks ago. It makes me think of BDSM and of the Euro Crisis at the same time.

Thank you, this just made me picture Mario Draghi in a skin-tight rubber suit. Tongue
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #55 on: March 26, 2013, 12:31:44 PM »

Would you like to engage in some SSM with me, Lewis?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #56 on: March 26, 2013, 12:34:20 PM »

Would you like to engage in some SSM with me, Lewis?
Maybe polyandrous threeway SSM.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #57 on: March 26, 2013, 12:55:21 PM »
« Edited: March 26, 2013, 12:56:57 PM by HockeyDude »

I haven't evolved at all because there was nothing for me to oppose in the first place.  I've always thought it to be a right.  I do question the placing of "Argh!" at the beginning of the post, though.  How stupid.  
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #58 on: March 26, 2013, 12:56:17 PM »

I've supported it for as long as I've been a member. The anti-gay comments in those older threads are depressing...
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #59 on: March 26, 2013, 01:06:31 PM »

I think I'll stand by this.  I find all marriage ceremonies to be creepy btw.

No/Yes.  I don't find the concept of gay marriage repulsive, I just think the ceremony is a little creepy.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #60 on: March 26, 2013, 01:13:55 PM »

I am glad I am not the only one who thought SSM sounded like a bondage term.
Kitteh
drj101
United States

« Reply #61 on: March 26, 2013, 01:52:43 PM »

This thread is really, really interesting to me as someone who was 9 years old in 2004. Partly just how drastically things have changed since then, and partly how people's views have changed so much. I wonder what will have changed for me by 2022.

Anyway, the earliest I can remember is supporting gay marriage sorta but being homophobic in that middle-schoolish way ("that's gay", "no homo", etc) around 12/13. I remember being against Prop 8 when I heard about it-would have been 13 at the time. Of course, by my 14th birthday, I identified as bisexual, but that's another story Tongue
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #62 on: March 26, 2013, 02:04:55 PM »

So basically, marriage is a religious institution which government has no rights to give or take away, civil unions and having people who are gay be equal in everything else? Yes, they have that power and it should have been like that all along.

That just doesn't cut it now. Can you understand that? Tens of millions of Americans married with a registrar; no god, no prayer and at times no faith. 60-70% of marriages in Scotland are not religious. So marriage isn't a religious institution; it's religious for some but it's not a religious institution. Most legislative references to marriage say nothing about religion at all, but they do talk of tax, inheritance etc.

If you want to apply a religious test to marriage then you can argue for that. But it means telling tens of millions of Americans that they are not 'married.'
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #63 on: March 26, 2013, 02:19:48 PM »

Look, the vast majority of people who now support gay marriage either:

a) are younger than 25, or
b) have "evolved" on the position.

I never "evolved " on this, and I am older than 25.

Yeah same here, I was for it when a rightist and now as a leftist.   I've never been a prude.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #64 on: March 26, 2013, 02:30:20 PM »

So basically, marriage is a religious institution which government has no rights to give or take away, civil unions and having people who are gay be equal in everything else? Yes, they have that power and it should have been like that all along.

That just doesn't cut it now. Can you understand that? Tens of millions of Americans married with a registrar; no god, no prayer and at times no faith. 60-70% of marriages in Scotland are not religious. So marriage isn't a religious institution; it's religious for some but it's not a religious institution. Most legislative references to marriage say nothing about religion at all, but they do talk of tax, inheritance etc.

If you want to apply a religious test to marriage then you can argue for that. But it means telling tens of millions of Americans that they are not 'married.'

They're not married though, they're all in civil unions. Marriage is a religious institution that the government took at a point in the past when this didn't matter at all. Civil Unions are what the government can give, marriage is religious. Seperation of church and state and all that which everyone loves. Would solve a lot of the problem that way too. I can guarentee you won't accept that though.  But in conclusion: Marriage=religious institution, civil union= what the government can give otherwise they're tampering with religion.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #65 on: March 26, 2013, 02:32:49 PM »

That actually had a big influence on my thinking, Afleitch.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #66 on: March 26, 2013, 02:41:46 PM »

I don't think I've ever opposed gay marriage. As far as I can remember, it always just seemed like a common sense, objective fact that gays deserved the same rights as anyone else. I may have been willing to settle for civil unions at some point, around 2005 or so, but at a certain point I realized that limiting gay couples to "only" civil unions isn't much better than "separate but equal."
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #67 on: March 26, 2013, 03:29:23 PM »

They're not married though, they're all in civil unions.

No, quite clearly according to the law they are married.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #68 on: March 26, 2013, 03:33:47 PM »

I've supported gay civil marriage for as long as I've known about gay people, and gay religious marriage or at least blessings of committed same-sex unions for as long as I've been religious.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #69 on: March 26, 2013, 03:47:55 PM »

Look, the vast majority of people who now support gay marriage either:

a) are younger than 25, or
b) have "evolved" on the position.

I never "evolved " on this, and I am older than 25.

Yeah same here, I was for it when a rightist and now as a leftist.   I've never been a prude.

Non sequitur.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #70 on: March 26, 2013, 03:49:40 PM »

As far as I know I've always supported same-sex marriage as something of a no-brainer.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #71 on: March 26, 2013, 03:54:10 PM »

I was never really opposed to gay marriage, but I think my previous stance was that it didn't matter whether it was marriage or civil unions. I may have moved to the left by a hair, but really by a hair.

BTW, I've got to say that, of all the quotes cited by Afleitch, Smid's comment really strikes as mind-bogglingly stupid.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #72 on: March 26, 2013, 04:01:06 PM »

I was for it when a rightist and now as a leftist.   I've never been a prude.

Non sequitur.

Har har.  That's all it is, Inks.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #73 on: March 26, 2013, 04:03:10 PM »

I notice that my name nowhere appears. I had it all "figured out" before most of your were born. Tongue
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #74 on: March 26, 2013, 04:07:09 PM »

Have always supported SSM, but I'm pretty young so meh.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies