How forumites have evolved (or not) on equal marriage
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 12, 2024, 05:32:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  How forumites have evolved (or not) on equal marriage
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7
Author Topic: How forumites have evolved (or not) on equal marriage  (Read 12398 times)
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2013, 10:31:51 AM »

I never "evolved " on this, and I am older than 25.

So?  Is everyone expected to think the way you do?  Not everyone thinks and behaves according to rigid demographic trends.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2013, 10:34:09 AM »

I never "evolved " on this, and I am older than 25.

Who is a my little pony junkie.  Roll Eyes
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2013, 10:36:54 AM »

Actually even when I was a college freshman I remember polls showing a majority of 18-29 in favor. It definitely wasn't opposed by my fellow classmates much either. I remember the Massachusetts decision being discussed only positively in 2004. All those people would be over 25 today.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2013, 10:46:37 AM »
« Edited: March 26, 2013, 11:19:31 AM by Parks And What You Meant To Me »

Let me put it this way: If you went to a College Democrats meeting circa 2003, how many people present do you think would be against gay marriage, even if they supported civil unions?
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2013, 10:49:13 AM »

Let me put it this way: If you went to one of my shows circa 2003, how many people present do you think would be against gay marriage, even if they supported civil unions? It'd probably be about equal to supporters of the Iraq War (that is essentially no one.)

Nobody cares.  Only you could turn gay marriage into a stupid discussion on one of your shows.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2013, 10:50:49 AM »

Let me put it this way: If you went to one of my shows circa 2003, how many people present do you think would be against gay marriage, even if they supported civil unions? It'd probably be about equal to supporters of the Iraq War (that is essentially no one.)

Nobody cares.  Only you could turn gay marriage into a stupid discussion on one of your shows.

No the point is that there are tons of people over 25 who never "evolved" on this issue.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2013, 10:56:27 AM »

And of course opebo, who has probably "evolved" more politically than any other poster never "evolved" on this issue, and he is quite a bit older than 25.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2013, 10:57:03 AM »

No the point is that there are tons of people over 25 who never "evolved" on this issue.

Did you support full marriage equality in 1996, when DOMA was passed?

Just because lots of people supported full marriage equality by 2003-2004 does not mean they popped out of the womb (or the metaphorical womb of a childhood with political views shaped by their parents and surroundings) with that view.

What I am saying is that many of those people who were early adopters of marriage equality probably still had some "evolution" in their past.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2013, 10:59:18 AM »

Look, the vast majority of people who now support gay marriage either:

a) are younger than 25, or
b) have "evolved" on the position.
Note the second phrase. Also note that nowhere was it stated that the evolution had to occur since 2004 - most of these kids (the ones not raised in downtown major metros anyways) evolved in their first term in college. Tongue

Ninja'd.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2013, 10:59:28 AM »

BRTD, why are you so focused on people who haven't evolved?  Do you think you're better than people who haven't always held your belief?  Are we somehow less entitled to hold these views?  I just don't understand why you feel the need to harp on this issue.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2013, 11:05:18 AM »

BRTD, before he evolved into a faux Christian, was much more tolerable.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2013, 11:06:38 AM »

BRTD, why are you so focused on people who haven't evolved?  Do you think you're better than people who haven't always held your belief?  Are we somehow less entitled to hold these views?  I just don't understand why you feel the need to harp on this issue.

Really I just wish you'd admit your old position was silly and ridiculous contrived Moderate Heroism, for the reasons sbane mentioned. Which you seemed to be growing out of until I read that thing you said about Jimmy Carter which sent my opinion of you back to 2008 levels.

Do you at least admit your old position was completely f**king stupid, made no sense whatsoever and all the people who trashed you over it were 100% right?
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2013, 11:07:03 AM »

You were actually awful all those years ago. I'd forgotten.

I'm not saying that all traditional marriages are good.  But starting off with a bad, sinful marriage won't be good for the child.

On DADT

I just have to say absolutely not on this one--I am a hard core conservative, "anti-gay" person…

And on which forumite was the most…

It was once a badge of honour back in the day Smiley
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2013, 11:08:34 AM »

No, I don't.  I'll say it was wrong, but I will not say it was contrived, because it wasn't.  And again, I ask: why do you give a fuck?  What difference does it make to you why I finally saw the light?  Jesus, man, grow up.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2013, 11:10:16 AM »

You could've made the same point without thinking, "ZOMG! I can throw in a sentence about hardcore shows!"
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2013, 11:11:18 AM »

Really I just wish you'd admit your old position was silly and ridiculous contrived Moderate Heroism, for the reasons sbane mentioned. Which you seemed to be growing out of until I read that thing you said about Jimmy Carter which sent my opinion of you back to 2008 levels.

Do you at least admit your old position was completely f**king stupid, made no sense whatsoever and all the people who trashed you over it were 100% right?

Ahh, here's the true reason the thread was made.... BRTD wants Ben to say, "You're right; I was wrong."  You couldn't have just done this via PM, buddy?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2013, 11:16:13 AM »
« Edited: March 26, 2013, 11:18:31 AM by Parks And What You Meant To Me »

You could've made the same point without thinking, "ZOMG! I can throw in a sentence about hardcore shows!"

OK fine, imagine it's a College Democrats meeting instead then. Hell, I'll even edit it.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2013, 11:18:19 AM »

Wrong thread, Mr Most Anti-Inks' Rights Person on this forum.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2013, 11:20:34 AM »

Did you support full marriage equality in 1996, when DOMA was passed?

Yes actually, as much as a 12 year old could.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #44 on: March 26, 2013, 11:21:00 AM »

I know I have. But that's what we do when we are young and stupid.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #45 on: March 26, 2013, 11:23:17 AM »

You were actually awful all those years ago. I'd forgotten.

I'm not saying that all traditional marriages are good.  But starting off with a bad, sinful marriage won't be good for the child.

On DADT

I just have to say absolutely not on this one--I am a hard core conservative, "anti-gay" person…

And on which forumite was the most…

It was once a badge of honour back in the day Smiley

Yeah, that was back before I developed my libertarian side in 2007-2008 (although it really didn't develop to the level it is now until probably 2009-2010)
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #46 on: March 26, 2013, 11:27:39 AM »

I "evolved" from not really knowing/caring about gay marriage (or gay rights, for that matter...) to now considering it a very, very important issue (though  I hesitate to call it the most important-there are so many pressing concerns in the world, it's not really fair to say that one is more important at the expense of others).
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #47 on: March 26, 2013, 11:37:54 AM »

I know I have. But that's what we do when we are young and stupid.
Evolve?
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #48 on: March 26, 2013, 11:45:39 AM »

Yep. It's all part of growing up.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #49 on: March 26, 2013, 11:52:51 AM »

If it was natural and meant to be men could have children with men. That can't happen, it's not natural.

Well it really isn't not natural, and it's probably partly nature's way of trying to do population control but that's really besides the point.

I still don't believe in gay marriage in that marriage is a religious instition between a man and a women. However, if the government wants to consider them married and give them all the rights and tax benefits and everything else that everyone else has that's perfectly fine. I've for the most part never really been against any of it. I might have been for a time a long time ago back when that quote was made but even since then back as far as 2006 I helped support repealing don't ask don't tell, gay adoption and whatnot in Atlasia as well as real life.

So basically, marriage is a religious institution which government has no rights to give or take away, civil unions and having people who are gay be equal in everything else? Yes, they have that power and it should have been like that all along.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies