Ohio Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 04:50:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Ohio Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15
Author Topic: Ohio Megathread  (Read 61389 times)
NHLiberal

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #200 on: August 05, 2014, 11:46:35 PM »

When was he in good shape to begin with?
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #201 on: August 05, 2014, 11:56:33 PM »

The thing is that while FitzGerald might not have actually done anything wrong with Joanna and that all might be the witness making stuff up, he clearly did something wrong with his driver's license. Although he would have been legally able to drive with her in the passenger seat, what'd he do when he finally got her back to the hotel? Teleport home? Stay the night with her? How did he get to work every day? Why did he not mention any of his license issues back when he was running for County Executive and the Plain Dealer did an expose on the cars all the candidates drove (remember Ken Lanci's Maybach?)?

Half the reason this story is blowing up the way it is actually is that it's like a real life game of Clue or something. No one understands what/why FitzGerald did and the deeper you dig the less sense any of this seems to make.
Panda Express

« Reply #202 on: August 06, 2014, 02:13:59 AM »

I know he is busy in Pennsylvania right now but I wonder if we could get Tom Wolf to run in place of FitzGerald. Wolf has proven himself to be a VERY strong candidate and I have no doubt he would dispatch Kasich. He also has a drivers license and doesn't bang random women in an Applebee's parking lot at 4:30 in the morning.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #203 on: August 06, 2014, 02:33:20 AM »

I know he is busy in Pennsylvania right now but I wonder if we could get Tom Wolf to run in place of FitzGerald. Wolf has proven himself to be a VERY strong candidate and I have no doubt he would dispatch Kasich. He also has a drivers license and doesn't bang random women in an Applebee's parking lot at 4:30 in the morning.

I wouldn't say Wolf is busy, in fact I think he has quite a lot of free time to devote to Ohio considering the status of PA-Gov right now... Tongue
LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

« Reply #204 on: August 06, 2014, 04:07:02 AM »

With the exception of the spring when FitzGerald got stuck with that awful surge of Kasich/RGA ads, he has kept this race within single digits and has had some defining moments in his campaign from his national TV appearances after approaching Eric Holder about the voter suppression in Ohio to Bill Clinton endorsing FitzGerald to Fitzy airing his first statewide, cable TV ad right as both campaigns officially launched. Over the past year and a half Fitzy has been in this campaign for Governor, he's barely gotten any outside help at all and you do have to give him a lot of well-deserved credit that this race is even close.

The thing is that while FitzGerald might not have actually done anything wrong with Joanna and that all might be the witness making stuff up, he clearly did something wrong with his driver's license. Although he would have been legally able to drive with her in the passenger seat, what'd he do when he finally got her back to the hotel? Teleport home? Stay the night with her? How did he get to work every day? Why did he not mention any of his license issues back when he was running for County Executive and the Plain Dealer did an expose on the cars all the candidates drove (remember Ken Lanci's Maybach?)?

Half the reason this story is blowing up the way it is actually is that it's like a real life game of Clue or something. No one understands what/why FitzGerald did and the deeper you dig the less sense any of this seems to make.
I found out that he was roughly 9 miles from his home in Lakewood when dropping Joanne off in Westlake which makes sense since the 2 cities really aren't that far apart and are both on the west side of Cleveland. Shannon was likely waiting up for him to get home and there's a possibility that Ed called Shannon to ask her if she would pick him up.

During 2002-2008 when he had no permit or license, obviously, he wouldn't put that sort of risk on himself of driving without either one and he could have easily had someone in his family, a personal friend or a friend from work pick him up for work or for other miscellaneous stuff on a regular basis, or for all we know, maybe he took the bus. His downtown office isn't all that far from his home as Cuyahoga County Exec., and during this time when he didn't have his license, he only operated from City Hall in Lakewood when he was Councilman which is even closer for him. And during 2008-2012 when he did have his permit, unless the police have records of giving any minor misdemeanors to Ed between that time for driving without a passenger, it can't be proven that he ever didn't have someone in the passenger seat while behind the wheel.

Yeah, because he's running against an even weaker Republican than Kasich and he self-funds his entire campaign. Plus, Ohio already has an out-of-touch millionaire with a racial past. We don't need another one. Wink

Also, kind of OT, but I found this photo on Bob Bridges Facebook page (the new Libertarian in the race for Auditor after Husted purged the initial Libertarian from the primary ballot), and it's pretty hilarious and true. Tongue

TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #205 on: August 06, 2014, 09:19:25 PM »

I found out that he was roughly 9 miles from his home in Lakewood when dropping Joanne off in Westlake which makes sense since the 2 cities really aren't that far apart and are both on the west side of Cleveland. Shannon was likely waiting up for him to get home and there's a possibility that Ed called Shannon to ask her if she would pick him up.

During 2002-2008 when he had no permit or license, obviously, he wouldn't put that sort of risk on himself of driving without either one and he could have easily had someone in his family, a personal friend or a friend from work pick him up for work or for other miscellaneous stuff on a regular basis, or for all we know, maybe he took the bus. His downtown office isn't all that far from his home as Cuyahoga County Exec., and during this time when he didn't have his license, he only operated from City Hall in Lakewood when he was Councilman which is even closer for him. And during 2008-2012 when he did have his permit, unless the police have records of giving any minor misdemeanors to Ed between that time for driving without a passenger, it can't be proven that he ever didn't have someone in the passenger seat while behind the wheel.

It is possible Shannon was waiting up for him to call and get picked up all that time, but if that's the case, then what did they do with Ed's car once she came to pick him up? It's not like she could have driven him back out there the next morning to get it; he still wouldn't be able to drive alone. I suppose they could have gotten a neighbor to do it. But why orchestrate all those convoluted logistics (which are possible certainly but who honestly believes that?)? If Shannon was waiting up all night, why not bring her? They were going to a bar on W 25th, so it wasn't some exactly an all-business setting. People normally bring their spouses to those sorts of events anyway.

Even if you believe FitzGerald didn't drive illegally this far, according to the Plain Dealer, FitzGerald described his Chrysler Pacifica when running for County Executive. He never managed to mention he only drivers it with another licensed adult, although I suppose that would be possible. But of course, according to the City of Lakewood, FitzGerald began driving city vehicles in 2009 and pumped $1,500 worth of fuel in that time frame, the majority of which he did not even have a learner's permit. Oh, and both Lakewood's Law Director and Cuyahoga County Council President C. Ellen Connally (I'm sure she's sooo disappointed to tell the media...) have reported seeing FitzGerald driving alone over the years.

There's simply no way he didn't drive illegally. I know people can live without cars and many do, but over the course of the last decade, someone would have figured out that FitzGerald didn't drive (except with a licensed adult passenger for three of the ten years) at some point. He could have even made a stand in favor of mass transit or something. But he didn't. You can perhaps continue to find ways FitzGerald could have eluded driving illegally, but that idea isn't consistent with reality; there is a certain way in which the world actually is and the occurrence of Ed FitzGerald driving illegally clearly happened.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #206 on: August 07, 2014, 12:19:23 PM »

FitzGerald is still refusing to drop out Sad  He has to realize how badly he's screwing over everyone on the ballot this cycle.  If only we had nominated Todd Portune, he couldn't have been worse than this.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #207 on: August 07, 2014, 12:28:54 PM »

Can the Democrats replace him if he did drop out? Or is it too late for that?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #208 on: August 07, 2014, 12:41:41 PM »

I forget, but even if his name stays on the ballot and he drops out and becomes a hermit, it can't be worse than this mess.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #209 on: August 07, 2014, 01:45:23 PM »

The deadline to replace him is next Monday. So that adds to the urgency of the situation.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #210 on: August 07, 2014, 03:00:55 PM »

The deadline to replace him is next Monday. So that adds to the urgency of the situation.

Hopefully the ODP can make him see reason before then!
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #211 on: August 07, 2014, 03:42:57 PM »

Well Walsh just selflessly stepped aside in Montana. Let's hope Cheatin' Ed Fitzgerald does the same here.
LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

« Reply #212 on: August 07, 2014, 06:58:27 PM »

It is possible Shannon was waiting up for him to call and get picked up all that time, but if that's the case, then what did they do with Ed's car once she came to pick him up? It's not like she could have driven him back out there the next morning to get it; he still wouldn't be able to drive alone. I suppose they could have gotten a neighbor to do it. But why orchestrate all those convoluted logistics (which are possible certainly but who honestly believes that?)? If Shannon was waiting up all night, why not bring her? They were going to a bar on W 25th, so it wasn't some exactly an all-business setting. People normally bring their spouses to those sorts of events anyway.

Even if you believe FitzGerald didn't drive illegally this far, according to the Plain Dealer, FitzGerald described his Chrysler Pacifica when running for County Executive. He never managed to mention he only drivers it with another licensed adult, although I suppose that would be possible. But of course, according to the City of Lakewood, FitzGerald began driving city vehicles in 2009 and pumped $1,500 worth of fuel in that time frame, the majority of which he did not even have a learner's permit. Oh, and both Lakewood's Law Director and Cuyahoga County Council President C. Ellen Connally (I'm sure she's sooo disappointed to tell the media...) have reported seeing FitzGerald driving alone over the years.

There's simply no way he didn't drive illegally. I know people can live without cars and many do, but over the course of the last decade, someone would have figured out that FitzGerald didn't drive (except with a licensed adult passenger for three of the ten years) at some point. He could have even made a stand in favor of mass transit or something. But he didn't. You can perhaps continue to find ways FitzGerald could have eluded driving illegally, but that idea isn't consistent with reality; there is a certain way in which the world actually is and the occurrence of Ed FitzGerald driving illegally clearly happened.
It's not outside the realm of possibility that Shannon took one of her two sons, Jack or Connor, to pick the car up the following day. Heck, the sons could have done it on their own even seeing as how both of them have their licenses. As for Shannon leaving early, well, what we do know about that night is the whole delegation started out with FitzGerald at a reception at the Cleveland Clinic and from there went to dinner and then the bar. By the time they got to the bar, about half of the delegation members had left already, so it's possible Shannon, who also knows the area well, left early to drive them back to the hotel. She probably would have just decided to drive home from the hotel, then.

I can see how someone might think this showed a lack of judgment on his part not to have a driver's license or not to tell the media earlier about this, but he did try to renew his license on numerous occasions, and couldn't find the time. The Ohio BMV is awful when it comes to wait times and a lot of people just don't have the time or the patience for them and all the documentation that's required. Our Ohio Revised Code only allows 6 months to renew your license after the expiration date, and at this time in 2002, Ed was probably more concerned with family matters and building up his name in politics through campaigning for the statewide candidates that year and focusing on his job as an At-Large City Councilman. After those 6 months, you end up going back to square one with the applications, exams and the dreadful maneuverability test at the very end.

The BMV isn't even able to confirm whether or not FitzGerald had a driver's license or a learner's permit between that 5 year period, so for all we know, even if there is proof found that Ed was driving between 2002-2007, then that still won't do any good considering the BMV destroyed any official records during that time.

As for Connally, she's not exactly an unbiased source, and neither is the Dispatch who are pretty well-known for their inherent bias towards Kasich. She's always had something against FitzGerald and this year, she even contemplated running on a ticket for Lt. Governor to spite FitzGerald, so we can't be so certain these two are telling the truth or if they're just making up false stories. Even the electrician in the other scenario was stretching the truth about "backseat, back and forth sex."

Here's the thing though. This is Ohio. We're a battleground state and Kasich would be very vulnerable this year if this had been an issue-based campaign, but his campaign is trying to ruin any opportunity at that by stealing the women vote for himself. This shouldn't be a deciding factor in their votes. FitzGerald apologized for all of it, forgive and forget, and he can now legally drive in Ohio as of November 2012 when he got his license again. Forgive and forget.
LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

« Reply #213 on: August 07, 2014, 07:05:41 PM »

Actually guys, even if Fitzy withdrew today, no Democrat would be able to replace him on the November ballot. This past Tuesday, August 5th at midnight was the 90 day pre-Election Day deadline for up until when the party could have replaced him on the ballot. Sure, someone could run as a write-in still, but that would be nonsensical. No matter what support FitzGerald loses among women though or whatever heinous attacks the Kasich administration chooses to throw at him he says he's in the race to stay!

Even had he withdrawn, the party would have only had a week to recruit somebody which only would have made the matter worse a la a Mark Foley-Joe Negron situation. A week up until Monday would have never been enough time to get another strong Democrat and the new Democrat, probably Todd Portune, would be low on cash, low on name ID presumably, and would only have 3 months to campaign on a back injury. Portune has the personality of a toothpick and would lose by an even bigger margin than FitzGerald ever would. Strickland or Ryan would have never ran at this point in the game, either. So it's good to know Ed will fight through this peer pressure for him to drop out!

He shouldn't have to drop out if he doesn't want to. Politics is politics and Ed understands that family comes first no matter what happens in these personal leaks. His own son is facing health problems and Ohio chooses to be more concerned about FitzGerald's "unfaithfulness and lack of judgment as a parent" when he's done all he can to be a loving and caring father. Just leave him alone, my God. If Ohioans choose to be ignorant and want to base their vote off something as dumb as a non-existent affair or "licensegate", then more power to them, but it's not going to stop Team FitzGerald from fighting Kasich's policies and winning back the Governor's Mansion.

Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #214 on: August 07, 2014, 07:30:37 PM »

I hope the OHDP is getting all of these transcripts - it's like a show-reel for spin.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #215 on: August 07, 2014, 07:37:27 PM »

Thanks for the update, Ed.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #216 on: August 08, 2014, 12:40:53 AM »

Sure, someone could run as a write-in still, but that would be nonsensical.

LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

« Reply #217 on: August 08, 2014, 01:14:37 AM »

Huh

That's the only option left for those of you who desperately want another candidate. I'm not saying anyone would run as a write-in, just stating that all other possibilities besides allowing FitzGerald to be the nominee are no longer possible since most deadlines except write-in passed.
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #218 on: August 08, 2014, 01:16:32 AM »

Didn't you just belittle Kasich's campaign ad as "sob story?"
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #219 on: August 08, 2014, 01:17:03 AM »

Welp!  Looks like this one's off the table.

This is going to be one of those elections, isn't it.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #220 on: August 08, 2014, 06:09:43 AM »

Huh

That's the only option left for those of you who desperately want another candidate. I'm not saying anyone would run as a write-in, just stating that all other possibilities besides allowing FitzGerald to be the nominee are no longer possible since most deadlines except write-in passed.

By "those of you," you mean the entire ODP Tongue

FitzGerald staying in just screws over all the good Democrats running who are actually fit to hold elected office.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #221 on: August 08, 2014, 08:31:47 AM »

...So it's good to know Ed will fight through this peer pressure for him to drop out!

He shouldn't have to drop out if he doesn't want to...

I certainly hope you weren't one the people calling Schweitzer a selfish traitor for choosing not to run for Senate Tongue
moderatevoter
ModerateVAVoter

« Reply #222 on: August 08, 2014, 11:47:17 AM »

Should Ed Fitzgerald Step Down from the Governor's Race?

Some highlights for everyone's attention:

Sharon Broussard, editorial writer, Northeast Ohio Media Group:
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Kevin O'Brien, deputy editorial page editor, The Plain Dealer:

Christopher Evans, editorial writer, Northeast Ohio Media Group:

Elizabeth Sullivan, opinion director, Northeast Ohio Media Group:
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #223 on: August 08, 2014, 12:15:10 PM »

Now this is politics.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #224 on: August 08, 2014, 12:53:29 PM »

I honestly could not think a campaign could be run worse than Charlie Crist, but Ed FitzGerald takes the cake. If Kasich breaks 55%, I bet he might change his tune on the presidency.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies