Ohio Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 07:56:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Ohio Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 15
Author Topic: Ohio Megathread  (Read 61125 times)
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 11, 2013, 12:23:26 PM »
« edited: December 24, 2014, 07:11:59 PM by RogueBeaver »

First one.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-politics/wp/2013/03/11/ohio-gov-john-kasich-gets-first-likely-challenger-ed-fitzgerald/?wprss=rss_election-2012
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 05:00:34 PM »

Fitzgerald vs. Kasich = border between lean and likely Kasich

Cordrey vs. Kasich = toss-up

Sutton vs. Kasich = likely Kasich

TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 10:43:28 PM »

Fitzgerald vs. Kasich = border between lean and likely Kasich

Cordrey vs. Kasich = toss-up

Sutton vs. Kasich = likely Kasich

^^^

I largely agree with this. Fitz is a better candidate than Sutton but not as good of one as Cordrey. Fitz will battle a lack of name recognition outside of Northeast Ohio and attempts to revive the Feds designation of him as Public Official #14 in their corruption sting within Cuyahoga County.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 01:43:20 AM »

https://www.facebook.com/tedstrickland/posts/10151786506899801

Ted Strickland has a "major announcement" planned for tomorrow, but he's still not running for Governor.

My bet is that he's endorsing Fitzgerald, but that's hardly "major"
bballrox4717

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.65

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 10:35:58 PM »

Unless something major happens between now and 2014, Kasich isn't going to be beat.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 10:39:38 PM »

Ted Strickland has a "major announcement" planned for tomorrow, but he's still not running for Governor.

As it was. How anticlimactic.
TX Conservative Dem
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2013, 12:37:18 PM »

Likely will not matter because Kasich is gonna get re-elected by double digit margin regardless who the Dem nominee is in 2014.
Rocky Rockefeller
Nelson Rockefeller 152
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -4.00

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2013, 03:15:49 PM »
« Edited: July 31, 2013, 07:04:25 PM by Rocky Rockefeller »

While it's certainly not inconceivable, I don't really see how Kasich could lose this race barring a major incident or scandal. Maybe Cordray could beat him but now that he's (finally) been approved as CFPB Director what really are the odds that he'd run?
TX Conservative Dem
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2013, 01:35:53 PM »

Like I said earlier, the Ohio Democrats should be better off waiting for an open seat come 2018 when Kasich is term-limited, and the Republicans put up LG Mary Taylor (R) as their nominee for Governor.

TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2013, 12:26:05 AM »

As it was. How anticlimactic.

Strickland drummed up his endorsement in a way to seek attention in order to distract the media and public away from Democratic Columbus Mayor Mike Coleman's refusal to give an endorsement in the governor's race.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2013, 11:59:25 AM »

The AFL-CIO endorsed FitzGerald today.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2013, 08:43:35 PM »

Shocked
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2013, 09:28:58 PM »

free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2013, 11:13:36 PM »

Kasich ties Fitzgerald at 41. Approvals are 37-42.

Also worth noting Connie Pilich leads Josh Mandel 47-43. I think it's officially time to move this to a toss-up. I'm pulling for Fitzy.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2013, 11:15:24 PM »

IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2013, 11:38:56 PM »

Wasn't it always a toss up?
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2013, 12:08:05 AM »

When Kasich's approvals were first going above water it was Lean R.
LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2013, 10:29:54 AM »

I'm so glad the Libertarian is taking so much of the vote. Of course, one of the main reasons McAuliffe even won was because of anti-Cuccinelli and a lot of the vote going for Sarvis, and it seems history could repeat itself next year. That's with the hope that the Libertarians successfully sue the state for the new law that is attempting to take them and Green's off the ballot if they don't get 28,000 signatures before the May 6th primary and at least 2% of the vote in the general election. The best hope is this backfires against Kasich and Libertarians manage to get on the ballot which would take votes away from him, but the Green's would fail to get on the ballot increasing FitzGerald's chances there.

Hopefully, these bad numbers for the Ohio GOP also means Husted is in big trouble as well. I was fearing Kasich's Medicaid expansion would soar him up in the polls again, but it really didn't effect anything overall to Kasich's disappointment. FitzGerald, Pillich, and Turner really need to pull out this win for Ohio next year because we can't continue to be losing jobs and having these insane tax breaks as we are.
LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2013, 12:23:33 AM »

I'm so glad the Libertarian is taking so much of the vote. Of course, one of the main reasons McAuliffe even won was because of anti-Cuccinelli and a lot of the vote going for Sarvis, and it seems history could repeat itself next year. That's with the hope that the Libertarians successfully sue the state for the new law that is attempting to take them and Green's off the ballot if they don't get 28,000 signatures before the May 6th primary and at least 2% of the vote in the general election. The best hope is this backfires against Kasich and Libertarians manage to get on the ballot which would take votes away from him, but the Green's would fail to get on the ballot increasing FitzGerald's chances there.

No, the best hope is that all third parties are treated fairly and not janked by overly restrictive political-gain laws.
I don't hate the Green Party, but they do take votes away from most Democratic voters. It's in the best interest of the state for leftists to rely on the Ohio Democratic Party because Green's won't be able to win any statewide offices. Libertarians can because their party is more developed and the Ohio GOP is much more insane than the Ohio Democrats.

Plus, in a way it would almost be considered payback for Kasich trying to rig the election for himself. If Green's aren't on the ballot and Libertarians are, +FitzGerald, -Kasich. Without Charlie Earl, most of that 6% would go to Kasich which could ultimately decide this close election and you can't get closer than a tied race.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2013, 09:04:11 AM »

No, the best hope is that all third parties are treated fairly and not janked by overly restrictive political-gain laws.
I don't hate the Green Party, but they do take votes away from most Democratic voters. It's in the best interest of the state for leftists to rely on the Ohio Democratic Party because Green's won't be able to win any statewide offices. Libertarians can because their party is more developed and the Ohio GOP is much more insane than the Ohio Democrats.

Plus, in a way it would almost be considered payback for Kasich trying to rig the election for himself. If Green's aren't on the ballot and Libertarians are, +FitzGerald, -Kasich. Without Charlie Earl, most of that 6% would go to Kasich which could ultimately decide this close election and you can't get closer than a tied race.

6% my arse. He'll plummet near the end like most third party candidates. He'll be lucky to get 2% and may not hit even 1%.
LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2013, 06:14:17 PM »

6% my arse. He'll plummet near the end like most third party candidates. He'll be lucky to get 2% and may not hit even 1%.
Well, he's certainly a much more known and credible Libertarian candidate than 2010's was. Nobody had any idea who Ken Matesz was and the fact that the year favored the GOP didn't help the L's much at all either. Charlie Earl is recognized as a former member of the Ohio House of Reps. and despite the Tea Party support he's getting, is still considered a "2nd option" to a much more socially liberal version of Kasich. Besides, he needs to campaign harder than Kasich or FitzGerald because if he doesn't carry at least 2% of the vote in the general election (assuming he will be able to get on the ballot), then the Libertarian Party is done for.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2013, 05:17:34 PM »

Well, he's certainly a much more known and credible Libertarian candidate than 2010's was. Nobody had any idea who Ken Matesz was and the fact that the year favored the GOP didn't help the L's much at all either. Charlie Earl is recognized as a former member of the Ohio House of Reps. and despite the Tea Party support he's getting, is still considered a "2nd option" to a much more socially liberal version of Kasich. Besides, he needs to campaign harder than Kasich or FitzGerald because if he doesn't carry at least 2% of the vote in the general election (assuming he will be able to get on the ballot), then the Libertarian Party is done for.

All true, which is why he may get closer to 2% than 1. Which of course could mean all the difference in a tight race and, accordingly, is why the GOP is trying so hard to keep him off the ballot.

I'm just saying it's unrealistic to expect that come Election Day Earl will get even half the 6% he's currently polling.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2013, 01:21:46 PM »

Article.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2013, 02:19:05 PM »

^^Awesome news on top of Chuck Todd calling John Kasich today on his show one of the top 5 most vulnerable GOP incumbent Governor's up in 2014.

For those who don't know, Kearny also owns a very minority-friendly firm, is great with financing and fundraising, is a good friend of the Obama Family, and has been known to go across the aisle in the Ohio Senate and work with the Republicans.

Perhaps the most important part of this though is balancing the ticket very well which I definitely have to hand to FitzGerald. With the help of fellow State Sen. Nina Turner, the African Americans will come out big for them especially after Kasich's controversial statement awhile back after instituting an all-white Cabinet that he didn't need "you people." Then of course, there's the local aspect part of it because FitzGerald is not well-known outside of Cuyahoga County and this Lt. Governor pick could help bring out a lot of vote from Cuyahoga & Hamilton which may even result in FitzGerald carrying Hamilton County.

Kasich is also starting to lose the state tons of jobs especially in the southeast down where Strickland won primarily and something widely unpopular arising is whether or not Kasich will sign onto right-to-work laws, a 6 week abortion ban, or several voting restrictions. Pick any one of those three that get signed into law. Just one, and you got a FitzGerald advantage.
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2013, 02:26:16 PM »

^^Awesome news on top of Chuck Todd calling John Kasich today on his show one of the top 5 most vulnerable GOP incumbent Governor's up in 2014.

For those who don't know, Kearny also owns a very minority-friendly firm, is great with financing and fundraising, is a good friend of the Obama Family, and has been known to go across the aisle in the Ohio Senate and work with the Republicans.

Perhaps the most important part of this though is balancing the ticket very well which I definitely have to hand to FitzGerald. With the help of fellow State Sen. Nina Turner, the African Americans will come out big for them especially after Kasich's controversial statement awhile back after instituting an all-white Cabinet that he didn't need "you people." Then of course, there's the local aspect part of it because FitzGerald is not well-known outside of Cuyahoga County and this Lt. Governor pick could help bring out a lot of vote from Cuyahoga & Hamilton which may even result in FitzGerald carrying Hamilton County.

Kasich is also starting to lose the state tons of jobs especially in the southeast down where Strickland won primarily and something widely unpopular arising is whether or not Kasich will sign onto right-to-work laws, a 6 week abortion ban, or several voting restrictions. Pick any one of those three that get signed into law. Just one, and you got a FitzGerald advantage.
I have the utmost dislike for Nina Turner. She's just a media-whore, but without the charm of someone like Chuck Schumer. She just says controversial thing on national television just to say them.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 15  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies