Canadian by-elections, 2013
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 07, 2024, 02:54:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canadian by-elections, 2013
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 40
Author Topic: Canadian by-elections, 2013  (Read 71318 times)
lilTommy

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -5.04

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: June 06, 2013, 12:54:10 PM »

No one has brought up a vacancy in Nova Scotia? Manning MacDonald (L-Cape Breton South) resigned last week from the provincial legislature.  The riding has been Liberal since 1974 and will likely stay that way. Interestingly, the CCF held it in 1941. 

Being so close to a provincial election and with redistribution (correct me here, but it looks like CB will lose a riding and the district of Cape Breton South is now divided into Northside-Westmount, Sydney and Sydney River-Mira-Louisbourg, only Sydney will go NDP, the other two should be Liberal) there will be no by-election

The Tories lost an MP today with Edmonton-St.Albert MP moving to be an Indie
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #176 on: June 06, 2013, 01:06:24 PM »

No one has brought up a vacancy in Nova Scotia? Manning MacDonald (L-Cape Breton South) resigned last week from the provincial legislature.  The riding has been Liberal since 1974 and will likely stay that way. Interestingly, the CCF held it in 1941. 

Being so close to a provincial election and with redistribution (correct me here, but it looks like CB will lose a riding and the district of Cape Breton South is now divided into Northside-Westmount, Sydney and Sydney River-Mira-Louisbourg, only Sydney will go NDP, the other two should be Liberal) there will be no by-election

Sydney River-Mira-Louisbourg & Northside Westmount both have sitting Tories running in them in the next election. The Liberals will probably get screwed out of a seat based on CB South getting divvied up between Tory & NDP areas.
lilTommy

Political Matrix

« Reply #177 on: June 06, 2013, 01:37:59 PM »

Sydney River-Mira-Louisbourg & Northside Westmount both have sitting Tories running in them in the next election. The Liberals will probably get screwed out of a seat based on CB South getting divvied up between Tory & NDP areas.

Thanks for the correction, i should have just look at who the sitting MLAs are Tongue
The Liberals might actually win only one riding then (Glace Bay), with Richmond now expanding into the Tory held CBwest to form the new CB-Richmond (this will probably be a battle esp if the two MLAs go after each other). anyway... thats another topic.

Any Bourassa candidates yet?
DL
Canada

« Reply #178 on: June 06, 2013, 03:11:31 PM »

I predict Bourassa won't vote until mid December
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #179 on: June 11, 2013, 06:48:41 PM »

McGuinty will resign his Ottawa South seat tomorrow. Would Wynne pair it with the other 2 vacancies?
toaster
Canada

« Reply #180 on: June 11, 2013, 07:15:54 PM »

McGuinty will resign his Ottawa South seat tomorrow. Would Wynne pair it with the other 2 vacancies?

Ottawa South could be picked up by PC, especially without a McGuinty running.  I think the NDP will likely win Windsor, and the Libs will hold onto London.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #181 on: June 11, 2013, 07:32:25 PM »

Cheesy By-election in my riding! Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #182 on: June 11, 2013, 09:41:26 PM »

Windsor will likely go NDP.  London West leans Liberal, but with the recent revelations on the gas plant deleting of e-mail I would wait until the next batch of polls come out to see if public opinion has moved.  I doubt the NDP now can win it.  They were only the mid 30s due to McGuinty's souring relation with public sector unions which have improved under Wynne never mind Wynne comes from the left of the party.  Had Paputello won then they would probably be doing better as she comes from the right of the party.  The Tories certainly could win there but far from a certainty.  Ottawa South will probably stay Liberal.  It seems being a political town, popular vote is rather consistent there over other places.  Both provincially and federally the Liberals always get at least 40% in this riding, but can never seem to crack the 50% mark whereas the Tories always seem to get in the 30-40% range regardless of their provincewide support.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #183 on: June 11, 2013, 09:47:39 PM »

Globe on Bourassa.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #184 on: June 11, 2013, 10:07:01 PM »

Windsor will likely go NDP.  London West leans Liberal, but with the recent revelations on the gas plant deleting of e-mail I would wait until the next batch of polls come out to see if public opinion has moved.  I doubt the NDP now can win it.  They were only the mid 30s due to McGuinty's souring relation with public sector unions which have improved under Wynne never mind Wynne comes from the left of the party.  Had Paputello won then they would probably be doing better as she comes from the right of the party.  The Tories certainly could win there but far from a certainty.  Ottawa South will probably stay Liberal.  It seems being a political town, popular vote is rather consistent there over other places.  Both provincially and federally the Liberals always get at least 40% in this riding, but can never seem to crack the 50% mark whereas the Tories always seem to get in the 30-40% range regardless of their provincewide support.

Indeed, Ottawa South is a very stable riding. Not much swing going on here. Mind you, there are some swing voters. The NDP-Liberal swing between 2004 and 2006 always fascinated me. The NDP got 13% in both elections but from a very different electorate. Anyways, I think the NDP ceiling is about 20% which would be if they ran a really good campaign. The seat could be vulnerable. Polls showed the Tories ahead during the 2004 federal campaign. Dalton was unpopular at the time, hurting his brother. The Tory candidate was scandal prone though. The seat was open in 2004, so who knows what will happen now that it is open again?

If the Liberals run a nobody and the Tories run someone like city councillor Peter Hume, than the Tories could win. But, Hume knows better than to run provincially.

The NDP's best shot would be with someone like PS Trustee Bronwyn Funicello. Of course, she knows better too.

Diane Deans is the only political name that I can think of for the Liberals. She has been a city councillor for 19 years and has tried for the nomination before. I have to think the Liberals will try to stop her though.  They might want to run someone from the minority community. Someone Lebanese would be their best bet. It could alienate the upper class Alta Vista WASP(WASCs?) types though that have loved the McGuintys. 
lilTommy

Political Matrix

« Reply #185 on: June 12, 2013, 09:32:29 AM »
« Edited: June 12, 2013, 09:49:19 AM by lilTommy »

London West, the NDP has stuck with the School board trustee trend and nominated Peggy Sattler (the policy director at Academica Group, a research consulting firm. She is a Thames Valley District School Board trustee and previously served two terms as board chair)
Last Poll i saw was May, with the OLP and PCs both at 34%, NDP 26%

http://toronto.ctvnews.ca/ontario-liberals-tories-in-dead-heat-new-poll-shows-1.1295787

BUT, when you look at the regional number, for Southwest Ontario its PCs 35% NDP34% OLP 25%. with those numbers i wouldn't say the NDP "can't" win London West. The PCs have a better chance but, we can't count out the growing strength of the NDP in SWON
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #186 on: June 17, 2013, 10:52:24 AM »

This was reported 4 days ago, but I was not aware: Westside-Kelowna by-election is set for July 10.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #187 on: June 17, 2013, 10:55:56 AM »

Also, unbeknownst to me, the Cartright-L'Anse au Clair by-election in NL is NEXT WEEK (June 25).
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #188 on: June 19, 2013, 09:45:05 AM »

Bob Rae will hold a news conference at 11 to announce his retirement. Wonder who the Liberals will choose in Toronto Centre.
DL
Canada

« Reply #189 on: June 19, 2013, 11:07:10 AM »

Bob Rae will hold a news conference at 11 to announce his retirement. Wonder who the Liberals will choose in Toronto Centre.

I think George Smitherman is looking for a job...if he wants the nomination he's probably unstoppable, but he would be bad for the federal Liberals to have in their caucus for a myriad of reasons.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #190 on: June 19, 2013, 11:17:42 AM »

True, and he might not be the only McGuinty alumnus seeking a federal seat given Pupatello's openness to the idea of running in Windsor and Trudeau's senior people like Butts and Telford also being McGuinty alumni. Rae's resignation takes effect July 1, BTW.
DL
Canada

« Reply #191 on: June 19, 2013, 12:05:23 PM »

I predict Harper will call byelections in Bourassa and TC on the same day and likely he will wait until November and set the date for mid-December.
toaster
Canada

« Reply #192 on: June 19, 2013, 02:33:53 PM »

Hoping a high caliber NDP candidate runs in TC.  Maybe David Miller, Marilyn Churley, or Mike Layton?  I can dream.
lilTommy

Political Matrix

« Reply #193 on: June 19, 2013, 03:22:25 PM »

Hoping a high caliber NDP candidate runs in TC.  Maybe David Miller, Marilyn Churley, or Mike Layton?  I can dream.

I'd LOVE David Miller to run... but he just became the CEO (title i might have wrong) of WWF Canada so... 2015 at earliest for him. I can dream too Smiley

Layton is too vested in the municipal politics, to new there (2010) and his ward is in Trinity-Spadina. If a councillor was to run, i think Wong-Tam or McConnell would be better, since they both represent wards in that riding. Wong-Tam is new (2010) but McConnell has been around since the 90s i think.

Marilyn, from what i remember, is still a justice of the peace and SHOULD have run in 2010 in Beaches-East York again as she did in 06/08 but i believe she didn't because she was a justice.

But agreed, if the NDP are to win Toronto Centre, they need a very high profile candidate, especially since the riding at this moment still has Rosedale in the boundaries... that will change after redistribution though by the looks of things, meaning even if the NDP don't win this by-election, they have a much better shot at the "new boundary" Toronto Centre come 2015
DL
Canada

« Reply #194 on: June 19, 2013, 09:52:07 PM »

There are stories that Jennifer Hollett of MuchMusic fame may run for the NDP nomination. Her bio sounds great!

http://www.jenniferhollett.com/
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #195 on: June 20, 2013, 12:00:35 AM »

But agreed, if the NDP are to win Toronto Centre, they need a very high profile candidate, especially since the riding at this moment still has Rosedale in the boundaries... that will change after redistribution though by the looks of things, meaning even if the NDP don't win this by-election, they have a much better shot at the "new boundary" Toronto Centre come 2015

Running on the current boundaries, and losing (but putting in a good effort), could be useful in being the front runner for NDP preselection for the next GE.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #196 on: June 20, 2013, 07:00:45 AM »

There are stories that Jennifer Hollett of MuchMusic fame may run for the NDP nomination. Her bio sounds great!

I remember her. She looks so different with out her hair done up.

Anyways in other news, Dartmouth North has now been vacated, but I guess it doesn't matter due to a provincial election expected.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #197 on: June 20, 2013, 07:04:24 AM »

Anyways in other news, Dartmouth North has now been vacated, but I guess it doesn't matter due to a provincial election expected.

Zinck says he's running as an independent. May screw the NDP out of what should have been a safe seat.
DL
Canada

« Reply #198 on: June 20, 2013, 07:19:37 AM »

Zinck says he's running as an independent. May screw the NDP out of what should have been a safe seat.

Would ANYONE vote for him?
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #199 on: June 20, 2013, 07:30:48 AM »

Would ANYONE vote for him?

He'd get a few votes. The problem is that there's been such a massive swing to the Liberals that it wouldn't take much vote splitting to for the Liberals to win.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 40  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies