Which genre's fans are most racist?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 02:23:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Which genre's fans are most racist?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Which genre's fans are most racist?
Metal

Country

Top 40

Hip Hop

Classic Rock

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 42

Author Topic: Which genre's fans are most racist?  (Read 6645 times)
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 25, 2013, 10:37:23 AM »

Should be interesting. Discuss.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 11:17:54 AM »

Write-in: Black metal.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 11:49:16 AM »

Yeah, definitely black metal. So I voted metal.
rejectamenta
Botswana

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 12:46:04 PM »

Metal or perhaps classic rock, considering the vastness of its fan base.

I'm surprised punk isn't included, considering the majority of white power music is RAC/oi. Not to defend black metal's nazi insurgency any.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2013, 12:50:57 PM »

Indie/Hipster music fans are pretty racist.
Pheurton Skeurto
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2013, 03:51:31 PM »

Definitely metal, yakno cuz bands like Oceano and Sevendust and Killswitch Engage and For Today and Like Moths To Flames and Rage Against The Machine and such don't count

Classic rock, probably.
Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.03, S: -8.87

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2013, 05:25:46 PM »

I voted metal, I like some metal, but most of it is disturbing, and a lot is racist.
Pheurton Skeurto
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2013, 06:25:20 PM »

but most of it is disturbing, and a lot is racist.

HuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuh
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2013, 07:26:18 PM »

>Country

Sad
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2013, 07:50:25 PM »

Yea, there are some really, really racist punk and metal bands out there, but they are so niche.  Considering that country's fanbase is pretty much entirely white Americans, and country is far more popular in conservative areas of America than it is in liberal parts... Yea, country.  No doubt. 
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2013, 12:05:42 AM »

I'm with the last two posters, it's got to be country.  Yes, on the fringes of punk and metal there are some WAY over the top racists, but for the most part the bands in those genres (especially punk) are pretty left leaning socially. 

One could make decent arguments for any of these genres though.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2013, 12:10:32 AM »
« Edited: January 26, 2013, 12:12:33 AM by The Most Beautiful Bitter Fruit »

I'm with the last two posters, it's got to be country.  Yes, on the fringes of punk and metal there are some WAY over the top racists, but for the most part the bands in those genres (especially punk) are pretty left leaning socially. 

That is definitely not true of metal, which tends to lean misogynistic, authoritarian and nationalist. It might be true that really technical metal like Mastodon or Meshuggah is left-leaning, but that's a definite minority in the genre.

Did you know the drummer of a Greek black metal band was actually elected to the Greek Parliament as a Golden Dawn candidate? (he didn't stay in very long though because he fell of the list that was elected in the next election just a month later.)
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2013, 12:12:54 AM »

One could make decent arguments for any of these genres though.

FTR, I didn't vote country; I'm just sad to see it on the list. Tongue
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2013, 01:25:42 AM »

Country, no doubt. Metal fans skew younger and are typically not likely to be racist.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2013, 01:56:01 AM »

That is definitely not true of metal, which tends to lean misogynistic, authoritarian and nationalist. It might be true that really technical metal like Mastodon or Meshuggah is left-leaning, but that's a definite minority in the genre.
Sure, certainly not as left leaning as punk, but I don't think it's any more misogynistic than classic rock or Top 40 and certainly less so than Hip Hop.

But I don't know, I stopped listening to metal a long time ago.

(of course all of this depends on how broadly one defines "metal")
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2013, 02:01:18 AM »
« Edited: January 26, 2013, 02:05:38 AM by The Most Beautiful Bitter Fruit »

Sure, certainly not as left leaning as punk, but I don't think it's any more misogynistic than classic rock or Top 40 and certainly less so than Hip Hop.

LOL seriously?

http://www.lyricsreg.com/lyrics/guttural+secrete/Feminine+Skin+Suit
http://www.songmeanings.net/songs/view/3530822107858654937

High school BRTD always found it amusing how metalheads who were fond of this type of death metal would make fun of all sorts of things in the uber-artsy intellectual style of hardcore, including the lyrics.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2013, 02:56:54 AM »

You don't think I could link to dozens of hip hop songs just as bad?  I suppose at the far, comical end of misogyny you could find more examples in metal genre than in Hip Hop.  Probably just using GWAR songs as examples....though they tend to be more equal opportunity rapists (great band name!).

But my point is that there is plenty of misogyny in most genres of music, often subtle, sometimes not so subtle, sometimes for the funny, sometimes not so much.  We all know that it's ok to have 99 problems as long as a bitch isn't one of them.  And I believe it was Mick Jagger that once sang of the virtues of having a young girl under one's thumb.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2013, 03:02:07 AM »

Hip hop fans are exposed to the most awful black stereotypes.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2013, 06:46:03 AM »

There are a few sub-genres of metal that are super racist but overall I think you'd have to give country fans the edge. Classic rock fans are up there these days too.

From most to least racist, it probably goes:

1. Country
(decent gap)
2. Metal
3. Classic Rock
(decent gap)
4. Hip-Hop
(huge gap)
5. Top 40

Top 40 fans are probably the least racist but they also have the shi.ttiest music.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2013, 09:25:20 AM »

Did you know the drummer of a Greek black metal band was actually elected to the Greek Parliament as a Golden Dawn candidate? (he didn't stay in very long though because he fell of the list that was elected in the next election just a month later.)

I don't think any metal I've listened to even mentions country and rarely women.  Metallica, Iron Maiden, Dream Theater, Led Zeppelin, Mastodon... almost all of the lyrics skew towards the mystical or "prog", and any mention of women is in the context of a love song.  That is what metal has always been to me... what garbage metal bands have you been exposed to?  Because the ones I mentioned are some of the big ones, and most of their contemporaries follow their lead. 
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2013, 11:07:34 AM »

I don't think any metal I've listened to even mentions country and rarely women.  Metallica, Iron Maiden, Dream Theater, Led Zeppelin, Mastodon... almost all of the lyrics skew towards the mystical or "prog", and any mention of women is in the context of a love song.  That is what metal has always been to me... what garbage metal bands have you been exposed to?  Because the ones I mentioned are some of the big ones, and most of their contemporaries follow their lead. 

See those lyrics linked above.
rejectamenta
Botswana

« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2013, 11:41:34 AM »

Thrash was also rather leftist, but it's a long dead genre.

The funny thing about black metal is that it really wasn't particularly nationalistic until the Scandinavians got involved and caused a general identity shift. Before that, the style was largely pioneered by multi-ethnic South American bands like Mystifier and Sarcofago, who were basically just trying to sound scarier than European contemporaries.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2013, 02:57:04 PM »
« Edited: January 26, 2013, 02:59:20 PM by Progressive Realist »

Nazi punk and the early 90s wave of Norwegian black metal.

County isn't really openly racist, though I have no doubt that there are many racists among the fanbase, but "country" (Nashville pop-rawk country) is so mainstream...idk.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2013, 03:38:54 PM »

Black metal is either extremely racist (though most other types of metal seem to be more left-wing). Country is more covertly racist, while "classic rock" (which has no real meaning other than rock that isn't fairly new) has both racists and anti-racists. Top 40 music is non-racist, but the suburban white people who gobble it up are probably easily swayed by covert racism (walking to the other side of the street when they see a black guy after sunset, for instance)
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2013, 03:48:44 PM »

A lot of it also depends on the generation of the genre.  For example, can anyone here really picture a racist Jason Aldean/Kenny Chesney/Jake Owen/Tim McGraw fan?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies