Fiscal Cliff Deal is Reached
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 01:10:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Fiscal Cliff Deal is Reached
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7
Author Topic: Fiscal Cliff Deal is Reached  (Read 12745 times)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2013, 07:27:24 AM »

God, even Bernie voted for it? Cry
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2013, 07:37:54 AM »

Yes.

But remember, he's a radical liberal communist!
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2013, 07:53:55 AM »

I understand the far-rights arguement against the Deal, they just don't want to raise any taxes. But what does the left not like about it? Just because instead of Obama pushing for $250000, he compromised and got  $400,000?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2013, 07:59:00 AM »
« Edited: January 01, 2013, 08:04:07 AM by opebo »

I understand the far-rights arguement against the Deal, they just don't want to raise any taxes. But what does the left not like about it? Just because instead of Obama pushing for $250000, he compromised and got  $400,000?

I think because it didn't rectify the debt-limit issue, which can still allow the Republicans to force spending cuts at a time when we need to be increasing, not reducing, spending.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2013, 07:59:40 AM »

I understand the far-rights arguement against the Deal, they just don't want to raise any taxes. But what does the left not like about it? Just because instead of Obama pushing for $250000, he compromised and got $400,000?

Because that, like everything else about this, is basically a compromise on a compromise (and a completely silly, symbolic one at that), while pushing down the road (again) issues that Democrats will have far far less bargaining power over.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2013, 08:17:41 AM »

I understand the far-rights arguement against the Deal, they just don't want to raise any taxes. But what does the left not like about it? Just because instead of Obama pushing for $250000, he compromised and got  $400,000?

Because Obama gave up on literally anything apart from that miserable 4.6 point increase on the hyper-rich. All the cuts the GOP likes are made permanent, while everything the Democrats want to defend are only postponed by a couple months.

Democrats are morons.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2013, 08:48:30 AM »

I understand the far-rights arguement against the Deal, they just don't want to raise any taxes. But what does the left not like about it? Just because instead of Obama pushing for $250000, he compromised and got  $400,000?

Because Obama gave up on literally anything apart from that miserable 4.6 point increase on the hyper-rich. All the cuts the GOP likes are made permanent, while everything the Democrats want to defend are only postponed by a couple months.

Democrats are morons.

or maybe they aren't who you think they are.  Obama would love to be etched into history as the president who destroyed the welfare state.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2013, 09:00:41 AM »

Well, it's a deal of some sort.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2013, 09:02:27 AM »

Democrats are morons.

or maybe they aren't who you think they are.  Obama would love to be etched into history as the president who destroyed the welfare state.

Yeah, sorry but I'd rather believe in the infinity of human stupidity rather than in some evil conspiracy.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2013, 09:20:59 AM »

it's not a 'conspiracy', (as if it were some death knell if it were), follow the money.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2013, 03:33:17 PM »

There were 8 nay votes who were they?
Tom Harkin, Iowa
Tom Carper, Delaware
Michael Bennet, Colorado

Marco Rubio, Florida
Chuck Grassley, Iowa
Mike Lee, Utah
Rand Paul, Kentucky
Richard Shelby, Alabama

Do we know who the 3 that didn't vote were?

I'm going to guess that it's Kirk, possibly DeMint, and someone else?
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2013, 03:37:21 PM »

There were 8 nay votes who were they?
Tom Harkin, Iowa
Tom Carper, Delaware
Michael Bennet, Colorado

Marco Rubio, Florida
Chuck Grassley, Iowa
Mike Lee, Utah
Rand Paul, Kentucky
Richard Shelby, Alabama

Do we know who the 3 that didn't vote were?

I'm going to guess that it's Kirk, possibly DeMint, and someone else?

The three who didn't vote were Senator DeMint, Senator Kirk, and Senator Lautenberg (D-New Jersey).

Constitutionally, all congressional votes except those which have to do with top-secret-defense-stuff are made public: http://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_lists/roll_call_vote_cfm.cfm?congress=112&session=2&vote=00251
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2013, 03:37:43 PM »

Bill will be amended in the House to attach spending cuts...

You must be logged in to read this quote.
https://twitter.com/samsteinhp/status/286208462545903616

Saw somewhere else that it was going to be $1.5bil in cuts but can't confirm that.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #38 on: January 01, 2013, 03:40:37 PM »

Eric Cantor will not support. Somebody is feeling ambitious.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #39 on: January 01, 2013, 03:43:51 PM »

Apparently the overwhelming majority of the House GOP caucus is opposed to this deal.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #40 on: January 01, 2013, 03:45:22 PM »

While seeing Boehner get booted from his position as speaker is going to be hilarious, his martyr routine afterward is going to be insufferable.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #41 on: January 01, 2013, 03:58:49 PM »

Forgive my ignorance on this, but the new Congress is sworn in on Jan. 3, correct?  So if the House doesn't act on the Senate bill by the end of the day on Jan. 2 (or passes it with amendments, not giving the Senate time to vote on the amended version), then the bill dies and we have to start over with the next Congress, right?  You can't have the current Senate pass one bill, then have the House hold onto it until we have a new Congress before they vote on it, right?  Any bills that have only been passed by one house of Congress get nullified once the new Congress is sworn in, is that correct?
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #42 on: January 01, 2013, 04:01:58 PM »

When is the vote scheduled for?
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #43 on: January 01, 2013, 04:08:26 PM »

This is a joke, but it's been this way for a while, so I shouldn't be surprised these radicals are rejecting the deal now.
Iosif

Political Matrix
E: -1.68, S: -3.65

« Reply #44 on: January 01, 2013, 04:10:41 PM »

What a circus.

This is fun.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #45 on: January 01, 2013, 04:16:06 PM »

Forgive my ignorance on this, but the new Congress is sworn in on Jan. 3, correct?  So if the House doesn't act on the Senate bill by the end of the day on Jan. 2 (or passes it with amendments, not giving the Senate time to vote on the amended version), then the bill dies and we have to start over with the next Congress, right?  You can't have the current Senate pass one bill, then have the House hold onto it until we have a new Congress before they vote on it, right?  Any bills that have only been passed by one house of Congress get nullified once the new Congress is sworn in, is that correct?

Basically yes. So if we don't something through by tomorrow, we have to start over. Of course it wouldn't be too hard for the Senate to just repass the bill on Jan 3, and then send it straight to the more Democratic new House. I'm hoping that means a better bill, even if only slighly.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #46 on: January 01, 2013, 04:19:07 PM »

It's been indefinitely postponed.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #47 on: January 01, 2013, 04:22:53 PM »

Basically yes. So if we don't something through by tomorrow, we have to start over. Of course it wouldn't be too hard for the Senate to just repass the bill on Jan 3, and then send it straight to the more Democratic new House. I'm hoping that means a better bill, even if only slighly.

The interesting thing here is that Boehner of course has an interest in delaying any vote on a compromise until Jan. 3rd, when he's reelected as Speaker, because after he's voted in again as Speaker, it'll be impossible for a handful of disgruntled House Republicans to hold his job hostage.  But if delaying until Jan. 3rd means that the bill has to be re-voted on in the Senate, then there might be some further changes there that the House GOP doesn't like, which complicates things even more.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #48 on: January 01, 2013, 04:30:29 PM »

According to this:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/02/us/politics/house-takes-on-fiscal-cliff.html?_r=0

the deadline is actually noon on Jan. 3rd.  That's when the new Congress gets sworn in.  In principle, the House could delay their vote on this until the morning of the 3rd, if it came to that.  Or they could pass an amended version and send it back to the Senate, if there's enough time for the Senate to act on it by noon Thursday.  If it isn't passed by then, then they start over.  Though as BRTD noted, starting over could well involved simply revoting on the same bill that the Senate already passed.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #49 on: January 01, 2013, 04:33:07 PM »

Democrats are morons.

such as?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies