2008 Election Game: Campaign Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 20, 2024, 11:53:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  2008 Election Game: Campaign Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 73 74 75 [76] 77 78 79 80 81 82
Author Topic: 2008 Election Game: Campaign Thread  (Read 152527 times)
Senator Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1875 on: July 05, 2013, 10:30:16 AM »

I'd like to claim Rick Perry for Governor of Texas and Tom Horner for Governor of Minnesota.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1876 on: July 05, 2013, 11:55:14 AM »

Can I claim Tammy Baldwin (for Governor), Jon Erpenbach (to replace her in the House), and DK Hirner (to run against that [inks]hole Aaron Schock)?
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1877 on: July 05, 2013, 12:06:17 PM »

Are there statistics for national popular vote totals?
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #1878 on: July 05, 2013, 01:46:25 PM »

Are there statistics for national popular vote totals?

Bloomberg narrowly won the popular vote IIRC. Also,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Faithless_elector_states.svg

Here's a map of states with laws against faithless electors. Even if Bloomberg gets every McCain elector from Idaho, Utah, and Kansas, he still isn't at 270.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #1879 on: July 05, 2013, 02:18:36 PM »

Then we'll get the faithless electors from Illinois. Cheesy
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #1880 on: July 05, 2013, 03:30:31 PM »
« Edited: July 05, 2013, 03:35:26 PM by JulioMadrid »

BREAKING:

Mayor Bloomberg gets 275 votes in the Electoral College

44th

America elects its second independent President!

Will Dean go to the Courts? Laws against faithless electors in Michigan, Oklahoma and Alabama could prevent Bloomberg from being elected President on the Electoral College.

-"I don't think I am a faithless elector. I have voted for the candidate the winner in my state endorsed. I am a republican, I campaigned for John McCain and I just did what he wanted me to" - Michigan elector.

-"Dean will not win this. He has to accept now Bloomberg was elected by the people and the Electoral College. I have to be honest here, I won't vote for him if the election goes to the House, even if I am a democrat. And I know many democrats, at least among Blue Dogs, won't, either. We will be very upset if Dean doesn't give a concession speech today. Even two democrats voted for Bloomberg today! (MS democrats aren't really democrats). He has to think about us, democrats in the House and the Senate. Democrats will have a tough time explaining this to the people. We don't want to lose our majorities in the House and the Senate" - Representative Brad Ellsworth (D-IN).

California, Oregon, Montana, Colorado, New Mexico, Minnesota, Iowa, Missouri, Wisconsin, Kentucky, Tennessee, Virginia, North Carolina, West Virginia, Maryland, South Carolina, Vermont, Massachusetts, D.C. and Rhode Island electors = 226 EVs --> Dean

1 Hawaii faithless elector Hawaii --> Nader ("The President of my party in HI, Brian Schatz, endorsed Nader. I'll folow his steps").
3 Hawaii electors --> Dean

2 Louisiana faithless electors --> Bloomberg ("It's not fair that Dean gets every electoral vote here, he won less than 30% of the vote. And he has behaved like a child after losing the election to Bloomberg, who is the real winner of the election").
7 Louisiana electors --> Dean

Howard Dean/Patty Murray = 236 Electoral Votes / 32.82% of the vote
Ralph Nader/Dennis Kucinich = 1 Electoral Vote /8.72% of the vote

Alaska, Nevada, Utah, Wyoming, South Dakota, North Dakota, Nebraska 1st, 2nd and AL, Texas, Arkansas, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Georgia, Florida, Pennsylvania, Delaware, New Jersey, New York, New Hampshire, Maine and Connecticut ) = 255 EVs--> Bloomberg

(2 Louisiana faithless electors --> Bloomberg)

2 Oklahoma faithless? electors --> Bloomberg
3 Oklahoma faithless electors --> Coburn
1 Oklahoma faithless elector --> Gingrich
1 Oklahoma elector --> McCain

3 Idaho faithless? electors --> Bloomberg
1 Idaho elector --> McCain

3 Kansas faithless? electors --> Bloomberg
3 Kansas electors --> McCain

9 Michigan faithless? electors --> Bloomberg
6 Michigan electors --> McCain
1 Michigan faithless elector --> Gingrich
1 Michigan faithless elector --> Paul

1 Alabama faithless? elector --> Bloomberg
4 Alabama electors --> McCain
3 Alabama faithless electors --> Gingrich
1 Alabama faithless elector --> Roe

Nebraska 3rd --> McCain

Michael Bloomberg/Evan Bayh 275 EVS / 33.78% of the vote
John McCain/George Pataki 16 EVs / 24.68% of the vote
Newt Gingrich/J.C. Watts 5 EVs
Tom Coburn/J.C. Watts 3 EVs
Phil Roe/Ron Paul 1 EV
Ron Paul/Phil Roe 1 EV

NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1881 on: July 05, 2013, 03:35:32 PM »

Yay!
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #1882 on: July 05, 2013, 03:58:11 PM »
« Edited: July 05, 2013, 04:03:27 PM by Lord of All the Beasts of the Earth and Fishes of the Seas »

Statement from the Dean Campaign:

Though Michael Bloomberg has officially received over 270 electoral votes, this majority comes from states which ban their electors from voting for a candidate other than the one they are pledged to; hence, if all of McCain's electors followed state law, this election would go to the House. We are hence appealing to the state courts of Oklahoma, Alabama, and Michigan to ensure a president is elected through legal means. If Bloomberg emerges from our lawsuits with 270 or more electoral votes, we will formally concede the election.

OOC: Realism went out the window a long time ago in this timeline, which is part of what makes it so fun. Tongue
Sec. of State Superique
Superique
Brazil

« Reply #1883 on: July 05, 2013, 04:48:27 PM »

OOC: I'll be Bob Kerrey on the interactive timeline forum, so although I could keep it up with Nader, I'm not really sure if I will be truly active here. I may be Barbara Lee - Green House Leader and start to push for a Green Agenda and Single-Payer with Senator of Alaska Mike Gravel or Senator from Vermont Bernie Sanders. I was also think about getting Nader to run for the House or for the Senate. I would also call IBDD to put Jim Matheson to run for the Senate.

H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1884 on: July 05, 2013, 05:46:47 PM »

The Murray Bunker: Statement On Ohe Filth Emanating From Certain States I Shall Not Name Here, But That I Shall Name In The Actual Statement

"The electors of Oklahoma, Alabama, and Michigan are bound by state law to vote for the winner of their state's popular vote. That person is John McCain. Therefore, all electors in those states who voted for someone other than John McCain violated the law and Mayor Bloomberg's majority is invalidated - sorry, Mike, it's just the law. And why are we letting 538 random people decide the election instead of all 310 million Americans? I am reiterating my call for everyone in Congress, as well as the President (whether it be Mayor Bloomberg or the sexiest man alive), to abolish the failed Electoral College system once and for all right off the bat."
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #1885 on: July 05, 2013, 06:04:24 PM »

Obama Speech on Senate Floor
"While this is not the outcome that a lot, including myself, would've liked, we must accept it. Michael Bloomberg is the President-Elect. I urge Governor Dean to drop his suit, and to allow the country to heal after this tumultuous election season. And to those calling for an abolition of. The Electoral College must not rush into things. We can change things, but not like this.

Instating a National Popular Vote would only cause more confusion, allowing recounts in any state where a candidate thought he would be able to get more votes than his opponent.

It protects the interests of the voters nationwide. Now, no one region can elect the President by itself. Trains regional support is necessary to be elected,and even more necessary to govern.

The Electoral College encourages campaigning in small states. Without it, candidates would simply seek to maximize their totals in the large ones, such as California and Texas. We must protect the votes of all citizens.

I urge my colleagues not to rush into unnecessary and problematic reform just because our candidate didn't win. We can tweak the system. But complete destruction of e current system would only be detrimental.
"
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1886 on: July 05, 2013, 07:08:45 PM »

An address to the Republican Party, by Newt Gingrich:

"I have never shied away from the truth, and now it's not the time to ignore the results of the 2008 election. Let us be candid, we lost that election. Still, I'd like to speak to all of the members and voters of the Republican Party, to all of those who are disappointed, to all of those who are discouraged, to all of those who wonder if our party has suffered a deathly blow. I, as a Former Speaker, a failed (but decent) Presidential Candidate and a man who witnessed one of the greatest victories of our party, I would like to tell you one thing: This is not the end.

The fight begins now, right after the election of President Bloomberg. And while our party is weak now in congress and we have lost the White House, we will regain them. We must stand strong and united to help us recover the strength of our party, and in doing so we will stage a truly wonderful comeback.

We will be back on 2010, showing the Democrats that their hegemony in congress won't last forever. We will be back on 2012, and we will regain the White House just like Ronald Reagan did after what seemed a Democratic hegemony. We will be back! And I personally invite every Republican to remember those words and prepare for our long journey to victory.

On a last note, I feel I need to thank those Republican electors who stood by their party, whether by voting for Senator McCain, Senator Coburn, Representatives Paul and Roe and myself: 26 electors who will give us their example for the months to come.

Without anything more to say, I'll encourage all of you, once again, not to despair. Events will change, defeats will come and pass, but the Grand Old Party will always be back!"

OOC: Another "attention whoring" moment just so Gingrich stays relevant until 2012. I'm also thinking about running for Senate in 2010 against Isakson, but I'm not entirely sure.)
Sec. of State Superique
Superique
Brazil

« Reply #1887 on: July 05, 2013, 07:11:13 PM »
« Edited: July 05, 2013, 09:29:18 PM by Former Speaker Superique »

Nader is in Washington, he is already starting what he calls "Lobbying for the People". After the speech of Mr. Obama in Congress, Nader decided to post his beliefs on that issue.

" What Barack Obama is trying to do here folks is to stop this great national trend for abolishing the Electoral College. Frankly, he is not really worried about the issues he mentioned, he is worried of seeing the Two-Party system go and his chances of trying to run for the White House on the next few years be reduced. I'm sorry Mr. Obama but we can't stand for more and more presidential races where everything is decided on a few swing states, where corporations money is crucial to victory and where we can see someone like George W Bush be elected president finishing second in the national vote.

It's time to choose to choose your side Mr.Obama and you are just showing that you are not really interested on real change for this country. Do you want to make something good for your country? Retreat your position, adress this absurd issue about black voters suppression and stop endorsing the Electoral College that is making America a Republic for the Few!"

Barbara Lee announces that she is working with the Black Caucus and with Hispanic Caucus of the House in order to adress the issue of Voter Suppression across the country. She intends to complement the Voting Rights Act by creating a federal voter registration system that won't be influenced by party interests.

" In Brazil and in many other countries, the Judicial System takes care of Elections and counting. It's a far better system than ours, it doesn't mess up things with thousands of electoral procedures and it makes voting faster, simpler and easier to count. The system that exists now will keep the terrible mistakes like the problems we have seen with Florida in 2000, with Ohio in 2004 and with Mississippi,Pennsylvania and many others states this year. Black Voters and Latinos are being suppressed all the time!"
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1888 on: July 05, 2013, 07:43:54 PM »

OOC:  Dean, lose this one, so you may have a comeback later.  If the situation was reversed, I would call on Bloomberg to just concede. 
MadmanMotley
Bmotley
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.29, S: -5.91

P
« Reply #1889 on: July 06, 2013, 01:07:24 AM »

Governor Daniels to reporters:

Reporter: "Governor how do you feel about Mayor Bloomberg winning the presidency?"

Gov. Daniels: Well we have a long four years ahead of us, with an independent president it's going to mean a lot of partisan gridlock and fighting. I congratulate President Bloomberg and wish him luck and I look forward to working with him in the future.

Reporter: "What is the state of the republican party?

Gov. Daniels: "Smarting after this defeat and without a strong leader, but this is a learning experience and the Republican party stronger than ever. I am disappointed on our senior senator Lugar on switching his affiliation, but there will be a new senator from Indiana with Sen. Bayh becoming our Vice-President."

Reporter: "Have you given any thought on who you will appoint to the Senate?"

Gov. Daniels: "It's been in the back of my mind since the presidential results were in limbo. But a few people have my interest."

Reporter: "Can you give us a few names?"

Gov. Daniels: "(chuckles) I'll announce in a few days my appointment to the senate."
Spamage
spamage
United States

« Reply #1890 on: July 06, 2013, 01:16:29 AM »

Christine O'Donnell:
    "Governor Dean's attempts to derail the Presidency of Michael Bloomberg, someone who I didn't vote for but now support, is an attempt to kill democracy. This should not be tolerated in America and the fact that there are those who are trying to actively assist the Governor in his efforts frightens me. Because of this I have a big announcement to make, I'm fed up with the same old, same old in Washington and am going to do something about it. Ladies and Gentlemen I am going to run for Senate in this wonderful state. If the next 2 years are full of the amount of bickering we're now seeing in Washington, I know Delaware will side with change. We need a Washington that works for the people, not a people that works for Washington! Thank you so much, your support is greatly appreciated!"
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix

« Reply #1891 on: July 06, 2013, 07:37:29 AM »

Poll:

What electoral system do you support?

National Popular vote 55%
Electoral College vote 38%
Don't know/Undecided 7%

Should Dean concede?
Yes 72%
No 23%
DK/U 5%

Among democrats
Yes 55%
No 42%
DK/U 3%

Dean case against faithless electors will go to the Supreme Court. The Court will decide in an urgent period of 12 days. Ginsburg convinced Dean is right, will win the lawsuit.

John Boehner will vote for Bloomberg in the House, "if needed".

OOC: Doesn't anyone want to be Nancy Pelosi or some House or Senate leader? Sad
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1892 on: July 06, 2013, 08:48:28 AM »

If I can have three, i'll do one of them.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #1893 on: July 06, 2013, 12:24:29 PM »

Statement from the President-elect

It is an honor to have been chosen by both the American people and the Electoral College to serve as the forty-fourth President of the United States.

This was a long, hard-fought campaign, with Americans having four excellent candidates to choose from. I congratulate Senator McCain, Governor Dean, and Mr. Nader on a hard-fought race. The results are clear in this election, and the American people have spoken. The time is now for Mr. Dean to concede - with each passing day, the antics of the Dean Campaign will only further divide Americans. We warned of this divisiveness on the campaign trail, and now we are seeing it with our own eyes. Even his running mate has stated that the winner of the popular vote should be elected President.

In the coming days, we will finish meeting with prospective cabinet nominees and announce those decisions to the public. We have also scheduled visits to the White House to meet with President Bush - the President called me last night to congratulate me on my victory, and I look forward to working with him in the upcoming weeks to ensure a smooth transition. I am also inviting the three other candidates to a summit in New York City where the four of us can sit down and discuss what needs to be done to begin healing this nation and how we move forward from here. I will also begin sit-down meetings with members of Congress in the coming days so we can begin discussing policies for the first hundred days, as well as begin to create a strong, working relationship between the White House and Congress.

America, this is only the beginning. It is a new day in America. We have our work cut out for us, but with your help, I know we can achieve victory for America. Thank you all, and God Bless.

Each day Dean tries to deny the American people of their will, it only further prolongs the inevitable. Unlike during the campaign and as Democratic Chair, I would almost disagree with those who argue he's dividing our nation. His bitterness is causing Americans, whether Republican, Democrat, or Independent, to rise up against him and demand for a concession. On Election day, America spoke, and they asked for Michael Bloomberg and myself. Now, the polls show that an overwhelming majority believe in following democracy, rather than twisting words in a court room.

It's time for Governor Dean to concede so America can begin moving forward. I urge members of Congress and all of Americans to call Governor Dean's office and tell him that enough is enough!

- Vice President-elect Evan Bayh
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #1894 on: July 06, 2013, 12:50:10 PM »

Evan Bayh Interview
Candy Crowley: "So Mr. Vice President-Elect, Governor Mitch Daniels has come out saying he has a few names in mind about your potential replacement. Any comment?"

Evan Bayh: "Well, I'm confident in Governor Daniel's decision. I'll be holding off resigning until January 2nd, that way my successor can be sworn in the same time as the rest of Congress. But I do request he appoint a Democrat or Independent to my seat. Voters in Indiana denied interest in a Republican representing them when they voted to reelect me, and when they voted for Bloomberg."

Candy Crowley"Any names jump out at you as a replacement?"

Evan Bayh"It's totally Mitch's decision, but I really like Congressman Brad Ellsworth."
Sec. of State Superique
Superique
Brazil

« Reply #1895 on: July 06, 2013, 05:43:52 PM »

I can be Harry Reid for usual matters...
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #1896 on: July 06, 2013, 06:01:15 PM »

I would like to be Dave Weldon for Governor of Florida, and Rand Paul for Senate in 2010.
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix

« Reply #1897 on: July 07, 2013, 05:13:01 PM »

Supreme Court: "Dean is right here. Laws against faithless electors in those three states mean that Bloomberg hasn't reached 270 EVs and the decision goes to the House and the Senate". Only Scalia and Thomas disagree.

Urgent poll:

Do you agree with the SCOTUS decision?
Yes 29%
No 56%
DK/U 15%

Blue Dog coalition announces they will vote for Bloomberg: "the real winner of the election, like it or not".

John Boehner urging his fellow Republicans to vote for Bloomberg: "Bloomberg would make a better President than Dean. But not only that. If he's not elected President, he will be the voice of change again in 2014 against democrats. If he is elected, we can portray him as a New York liberal who's out of touch with the issues, and we will win back both chambers of Congress in 2010!!".

Did Bloomberg gave his victory speech too soon? Should he have waited for the SCOTUS decision?

Senators Ben Nelson, Mark Pryor and Robert Byrd will cast their votes for Evan Bayh "no matter what".

Will any republican senator vote for Patty Murray? "Patty has been a great mate. I think I have talked to Evan only three times since I was elected, and he was not friendly" - Senator John Thune.

Bloomberg/Murray? "It not that unlikely. More unlikely than not, true. But not impossible", says Joe Lieberman.

"Unfortunately, Bloomberg will be elected President, I am 100% sure. I am thinking about supporting him. You know, if I don't, I'll have some problems I'd better skip if I want to be Governor" - Neil Abercrombie talking to one of his advisors, as recorded by a bug.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #1898 on: July 07, 2013, 06:02:10 PM »

Statement from the Dean Campaign:

The Supreme Court, as expected, has struck down what was Bloomberg's illegitimate path to 270. Now the House of Representatives shall decide the 44th President of the United States. We ask for their support, but ultimately it is up to Congress to decide. We again thank Mayor Bloomberg, Senator McCain, and Mr. Nader for what has been an excellent campaign.

Dean memo to the Blue Dog and New Democratic Caucuses, and to Green members of Congress:

When Congress convenes, the House is to vote on the next president for the first time since 1824. I personally urge you to vote for me to be the 44th President. With a Democrat in the White House, we will have for the first time since 1995, control of both houses of Congress and the White House, and with strong majorities in both Houses we have an unprecedented opportunity to advance our agenda. With Bloomberg in the White House, we would see a president unable to work with either party in Congress, a president who openly advocates austerity instead of stimulus to spur the economy. If I have the opportunity to work with you, we will achieve more than any Democratic administration since Lyndon Johnson and roll back much of the damage done by the Bush administration. At the same time, I ask that you urge your Senate colleagues to support Senator Murray to be the next Vice President.

-Howard
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #1899 on: July 07, 2013, 06:11:41 PM »
« Edited: July 07, 2013, 10:14:17 PM by Governor Maxwell »

Senator Chuck Hagel Interview

Interviewer: "Senator, How do you view the situation going on with this election?"

Senator Hagel: "Well, I have to say, I'm not too surprised by the results. I don't think the Republicans should continue in this direction of invasive, interventionist foreign policy. It's hurt our countries reputation and now it's hurt our Republican Party. We have to make a change, and that is where we need to go specifically."

Interviewer: "Let's be more specific, what about the Supreme Court decision?"

Senator Hagel: "Now, let me be clear, I was for Howard Dean. I also believe the Supreme Court decision was correct. However, I also believe Bloomberg should be President. He had more electors and more votes, I don't see why we should delay the process more with congressional votes. I will be voting for Evan Bayh in the Senate."

Interviewer:"One final question, will you run for President again?"

Senator Hagel: "Haha, hell no. I think I am done after this term in the Senate."
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 73 74 75 [76] 77 78 79 80 81 82  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies