Italy 2013: The official thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 02:25:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Italy 2013: The official thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 44 45 [46] 47 48 49 50 51 ... 81
Author Topic: Italy 2013: The official thread  (Read 234506 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1125 on: February 18, 2013, 11:06:21 AM »

The election gets front page coverage...in Philadelphia (thanks to hometown favorite Berardi). Ignore the other headline (in the top right). Tongue

DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1126 on: February 18, 2013, 11:30:26 AM »

Obviously Berlusconi is the best leader Italy has had in the post war era

/troll
Gary J
United Kingdom
« Reply #1127 on: February 18, 2013, 12:22:23 PM »

How about Alcide De Gasperi for the best post war Italian Prime Minister prize? Founder of the Christian Democratic Party and Prime Minister from 1945 until 1953.

I would suggest that the challenges De Gasperi faced were greater than those of his successors. He seems to have been remarkably successful compared to those who came before and after him.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1128 on: February 18, 2013, 12:46:29 PM »

Just to be clear, the original comment wasn't about the greatest post war PM; he was saying in more recent times. 
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1129 on: February 18, 2013, 03:46:46 PM »

Yeah, I think it's pretty clear that all of Italy's best postwar PMs were in the 1st Republic. And even then, only a few of those really qualifies as decent when you account for things like corruption etc.
DL
Canada

« Reply #1130 on: February 18, 2013, 03:49:06 PM »

Considering how long Berlusconi served and the other options, you really don't have anyone else to label as the best so that really isn't saying much. Tongue

Oh come on - surely the absolute GREATEST Italian PM of all time has to be the dynamic, charismatic Giulio Andreotti!! He even got charged with murder and got off on a technicality and was apparently very actively involved in the Mafia!

I think it almost goes without saying that Italy really has the most low quality political leaders of any western democracy. 
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1131 on: February 18, 2013, 03:53:52 PM »

Correction: he got off from all kinds of charges on what amounted to some kind of hilarious parade of technicalities...
DL
Canada

« Reply #1132 on: February 18, 2013, 04:37:11 PM »

Some would say that Italy has been in decline since the end of the Florentine Renaissance. Hard to imagine that the country that gave the world everyone from Machiavelli to Gramsci is now symbolized by political leaders like Andreotti the murderer and Berlusconi the child rapist.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1133 on: February 18, 2013, 04:51:51 PM »

According to EMG leaks, undecideds are still over 15%.
Andrea
Italy
« Reply #1134 on: February 18, 2013, 05:18:50 PM »

According to EMG leaks, undecideds are still over 15%.

how many "won't vote"?
If the "won't vote" is not high, I would guess that some of those claiming to be undecides 6 days before polling day won't turn out.
In 2008 turnout was 80%. I think it will drop this time
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1135 on: February 18, 2013, 05:37:40 PM »

From what I remember, abstention was polling around 25%...
Andrea
Italy
« Reply #1136 on: February 18, 2013, 05:58:39 PM »

From what I remember, abstention was polling around 25%...

they sound about right. So the 15% of don't know should decide at one point.
SPQR
italian-boy
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #1137 on: February 18, 2013, 06:00:38 PM »

Oscar Giannino,the leader of Fare-Fermare Il Declino (neo-liberal party polling at 2%) apparently had in his CV a Master from the University of Chicago...which he never actually received.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1138 on: February 18, 2013, 06:17:16 PM »

Oscar Giannino,the leader of Fare-Fermare Il Declino (neo-liberal party polling at 2%) apparently had in his CV a Master from the University of Chicago...which he never actually received.

Not being from the Chicago School of Economics is a big plus in my opinion. Tongue
SPQR
italian-boy
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #1139 on: February 19, 2013, 02:42:24 AM »

Not being from the Chicago School of Economics is a big plus in my opinion. Tongue
Supporting their ideas and claiming to have gotten a master there when it's not true,is not that big a plus Tongue
Iannis
Rookie
Italy

« Reply #1140 on: February 19, 2013, 04:16:53 AM »

Some would say that Italy has been in decline since the end of the Florentine Renaissance. Hard to imagine that the country that gave the world everyone from Machiavelli to Gramsci is now symbolized by political leaders like Andreotti the murderer and Berlusconi the child rapist.

Andreotti the murderer and Berlusconi the child rapist?  Are you smoking some pot?
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1141 on: February 19, 2013, 05:40:45 AM »

Andreotti the murderer and Berlusconi the child rapist?  Are you smoking some pot?

Well, Andreotti was involved in some murder mafia and some of the bunga-bugna guests were allegedly minors.
Iannis
Rookie
Italy

« Reply #1142 on: February 19, 2013, 06:47:55 AM »

Well, Andreotti was involved in some murder mafia and some of the bunga-bugna guests were allegedly minors.

Nobody was blamed of rape and Andreotti was guilty of contacts with mafia in '70s but cleared of all accusations about mafia murder (Percorelli's homicide)
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1143 on: February 19, 2013, 07:21:01 AM »

Nobody was blamed of rape and Andreotti was guilty of contacts with mafia in '70s but cleared of all accusations about mafia murder (Percorelli's homicide)

True, but do you really want to argue they have good morals or are appropriate role models?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1144 on: February 19, 2013, 08:17:10 AM »

I suppose an argument exists that convicting someone for having Pecorelli bumped off wouldn't be in the public interest anyway.

Not that I would agree, hasten to add, but his story does work as a cautionary tale...
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1145 on: February 19, 2013, 08:44:25 AM »

The video rental store up the street from me is going out of business so I figured I'd stop by to buy Il Divo. Unfortunately, they didn't have it anymore. I then went a half hour out of my way to another location that did have it because of all of this Andreotti talk around here. Smiley

Anyway, 15% undecided? Oh, man...
Franknburger
Germany

« Reply #1146 on: February 19, 2013, 09:00:06 AM »
« Edited: February 19, 2013, 09:27:00 AM by Franknburger »

So, corruption is becoming a key issue for the election and the vote. Is this typical for Italian elections over the last decade or so ("let's throw some mud at the opponent, but continue with 'business as usual' after the election")? Or does the debate have a new quality, in the sense that some contenders are bringing up approaches and strategies to effectively tackle the problem?

How influential will the corruption issue be on the overall vote, in relation to other issues like, e.g., taxes, unemployment, social security, or refugees / immigration?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1147 on: February 19, 2013, 09:14:19 AM »

The video rental store up the street from me is going out of business so I figured I'd stop by to buy Il Divo. Unfortunately, they didn't have it anymore. I then went a half hour out of my way to another location that did have it because of all of this Andreotti talk around here. Smiley

It's a great film, so that's entirely understandable.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1148 on: February 19, 2013, 10:26:17 AM »

It's a great film, so that's entirely understandable.

My favorite. Smiley
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1149 on: February 19, 2013, 10:50:02 AM »

Decent resource for foreigners - http://mobile.bloomberg.com/news/2013-02-19/italy-s-bersani-may-need-post-vote-deal-with-monti-scenarios.html

Polls are open from 8 AM to 10 PM on February 24th and from 7 AM to 3 PM on February 25th. The first exit polls will be published as the polls close which will be at 9 AM Eastern.

As the article notes, the exit polls were terribly inaccurate (underestimating the center-right) as the polls closed in 2006 and 2008.
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 44 45 [46] 47 48 49 50 51 ... 81  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies