Italy 2013: The official thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 07:45:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Italy 2013: The official thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 48 49 ... 81
Author Topic: Italy 2013: The official thread  (Read 234367 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1075 on: February 13, 2013, 08:35:28 AM »

"Love him or hate him" is exactly the philosophy I don't agree with. I have never hated nor loved him, he's a politician like others, who I won't vote. Too much importance has been given to any his littel gestures or word.

I wasn't saying those were the only choices. It's a phrase. I wanted to incorporate the extremes to get across the point that everyone can agree on his serious impact on the country. It's something you admit in that post. Rightly or wrongly or somewhere in between Wink, that's the fact of the matter.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1076 on: February 13, 2013, 09:52:25 AM »

I just realized: the Milan Derby is on the first day of voting and Balotelli will be playing against his old club. This will come after Inter got fined for racist chants against Mario (even though he wasn't there) during their most recent match. Couldn't write a more perfect script for Silvio unless, of course, Milan loses. Tongue
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1077 on: February 13, 2013, 01:35:09 PM »

What are the general news (aside from corruption scandals) on economic development in the individual regions? And how could this impact on voting for the House and the Senate?

Formigoni has also been indicted in Lombardia. Apart from that I can't say much, except that the economy sucks everywhere.
DL
Canada

« Reply #1078 on: February 13, 2013, 11:10:41 PM »

I'm not sure what "comeback" anyone sees for Berlusconi. The last polls behind the embargo consistently showed his coalition of parties 5 or 6 points behind the left and the 20% or so that would vote PdL is essentiually the bedrock 20% of Italians who will always vote for the rightwing option come hell or high water.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1079 on: February 13, 2013, 11:19:28 PM »

I'm not sure what "comeback" anyone sees for Berlusconi. The last polls behind the embargo consistently showed his coalition of parties 5 or 6 points behind the left and the 20% or so that would vote PdL is essentiually the bedrock 20% of Italians who will always vote for the rightwing option come hell or high water.

You're right, the Right coalition hasn't gained that much ground in the past few months. It's more the left coalition that has been dwindling, from about 40% to now the low 30s.
Rocky Rockefeller
Nelson Rockefeller 152
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -4.00

« Reply #1080 on: February 13, 2013, 11:52:58 PM »

Yeah that's a good point. though I don't see how Berlusconi is still the conservative leader. they should have taken that from him right around the time of the fraud conviction.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #1081 on: February 14, 2013, 02:05:24 AM »

The Champions League game between AC Milan and Barcelona on Feb. 20 should be interesting.

Do you think a win by Milan will lead to a Right win in Lombardy, or will a win by Milan have nothing to do with a potential Right wing a few days later ?
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #1082 on: February 14, 2013, 05:16:12 AM »

People are over-analysing the importance of sports on election results. I'm not sure wich is more silly, people thinking Scotland will vote for indipendance because they host a non-important sport-event the same year, or people thinking a Milan win will make people vote for Silvio.

Is there any election in the past 50 years in a Western Democracy that's is believed to have been determained by a single sports event?

Swing-voters might be idiots, but they're not that dumb.
DL
Canada

« Reply #1083 on: February 14, 2013, 07:54:42 AM »

People are over-analysing the importance of sports on election results. I'm not sure wich is more silly, people thinking Scotland will vote for indipendance because they host a non-important sport-event the same year, or people thinking a Milan win will make people vote for Silvio.

Is there any election in the past 50 years in a Western Democracy that's is believed to have been determained by a single sports event?

Actually, isn't there some speculation that one of the reasons the Labour Party suffered a stunning unexpected loss in the 1970 UK election was that people were in a foul mood after England lost the World Cup?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1084 on: February 14, 2013, 08:40:44 AM »

The Champions League game between AC Milan and Barcelona on Feb. 20 should be interesting.

Do you think a win by Milan will lead to a Right win in Lombardy, or will a win by Milan have nothing to do with a potential Right wing a few days later ?

Yeah, that's big, too (ought to be an incredible few days of Calcio), but the derby is going to be huge and it absolutely could have political implications. A derby means other people in the region will be livid but those types have a burning hatred for Berlusconi already and were always going to turn out against him. Centrist or uneasy right leaning AC Milan fans might finally be pushed into Silvio's camp.

As for the post dismissing the comeback, the center-right isn't at "20% or so." They're at about 30% now.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #1085 on: February 14, 2013, 07:31:04 PM »

Yeah, I don't think a Milan victory helps SB win nationally. Maybe boost him provincially a bit but that's it.
Kitteh
drj101
United States

« Reply #1086 on: February 14, 2013, 09:12:01 PM »

Rugby had a very clear and definite impact on the New Zealand 2011 election.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #1087 on: February 14, 2013, 09:41:18 PM »

In the 1970 UK general election, there was a last-minute swing from Labor to the Conservatives, who ended up winning; it's thought that this is because the election took place shortly after England lost a significant match to West Germany during the 1970 World Cup (furthermore, it's thought England only lost because goalkeeper Gordon Banks was forced not to play due to a stomach illness).

Sometimes history rests on the seemingly insignificant.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1088 on: February 14, 2013, 10:10:43 PM »

For those who are interested in serious issues, today was a new scandal-fest. Tons of arrests have been made in I think four unrelated affair. The TV anchor said there hadn't been so many arrests since the Mani Pulite days.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #1089 on: February 14, 2013, 10:14:41 PM »

What sort of scandals? Nothing MP level presumably.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1090 on: February 14, 2013, 10:22:30 PM »

All sorts... There is the Formigoni thing, which of course annoys PdL (and Lega to a smaller extent), MPS which for some reason is being tied to PD, Finmeccanica which might hurt Monti and also possibly Lega, and many others. I'm only following these things distractly, because I'm a bit fed up with all these corruption scandals. Methinks abstention (and maybe M5S) will be the only one benefitting from all this.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1091 on: February 15, 2013, 09:43:27 AM »

So Monti is coming in fourth. Jeeze.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #1092 on: February 15, 2013, 10:16:53 AM »

A guess or something more concrete? Wink
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1093 on: February 15, 2013, 10:38:57 AM »

No, that's my prediction now. These scandals plus the M5S surge before the end of polling makes it seem inevitable.

By the way, does anyone know if it's just the publication of polling that's banned? I'd imagine the parties would be mighty pissed if they couldn't at least do private polling within two weeks of an election.
Franknburger
Germany

« Reply #1094 on: February 15, 2013, 10:46:16 AM »

All sorts... There is the Formigoni thing, which of course annoys PdL (and Lega to a smaller extent), MPS which for some reason is being tied to PD, Finmeccanica which might hurt Monti and also possibly Lega, and many others. I'm only following these things distractly, because I'm a bit fed up with all these corruption scandals. Methinks abstention (and maybe M5S) will be the only one benefitting from all this.

What about this anti-corruption party (forgot about the name) that was always polling around 2-4%? Shouldn't the scandals help them making the threshold? And, if yes, could that have consequences for the Senate'
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #1095 on: February 15, 2013, 11:12:17 AM »
« Edited: February 15, 2013, 11:20:56 AM by Leftbehind »

Actually, isn't there some speculation that one of the reasons the Labour Party suffered a stunning unexpected loss in the 1970 UK election was that people were in a foul mood after England lost the World Cup?

In the 1970 UK general election, there was a last-minute swing from Labor to the Conservatives, who ended up winning; it's thought that this is because the election took place shortly after England lost a significant match to West Germany during the 1970 World Cup (furthermore, it's thought England only lost because goalkeeper Gordon Banks was forced not to play due to a stomach illness).

Sometimes history rests on the seemingly insignificant.

Speculation perhaps, but it's the first I've heard of it and nowhere near as decisively regarded a factor as Vosem's post makes out (can't recall it even being mentioned in the BBC coverage of the 1970's GE that was repeated recently). I'd think, far more meaningful, were the dire set of balance of payment figures that came out during the campaign, something the country had had been assured devaluation would solve. Oh and that's to say nothing of how accurate polling even was back then. Most polls were conducted by Gallup, Harris and NOC and beyond Harris (who haven't polled since Aug 2010) the others don't poll in the UK any longer, with Gallup having a shoddy reputation. Polling's came on a long way since then, with polls in the 1990's considered suspect (weighted incorrectly etc), let alone 1970.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1096 on: February 15, 2013, 12:23:37 PM »

The 1970 thing is nonsense. Everyone believes it, but it's nonsense. The 1966-1970 Labour government was (somewhat incredible to believe now given its many and manifest achievements) one of the most unpopular governments of the 20th century. A several points during that parliament, senior Party figures (and not just the usual panickers) were genuinely concerned at the prospect of a repeat of the 1931 election. Then in 1970 there was a 'remarkable' (to use the word chosen by one member of the cabinet in his memoirs) recovery in the government's polling numbers. What almost certainly happened was that the polling firms (and this was an industry still in its infancy in Britain in many respects) overestimated the scale of the Labour recovery; probably Labour was never genuinely ahead during the campaign.
SPQR
italian-boy
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #1097 on: February 15, 2013, 12:28:20 PM »

Oh my...please stop overestimating football's impact on elections.
SPQR
italian-boy
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #1098 on: February 15, 2013, 12:30:05 PM »

Anyway,Finmeccanica's president, who was arrested this week,claimed last year that he "owes literally everything to Maroni",who is the Lega North secretary...
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1099 on: February 15, 2013, 01:26:25 PM »

Oh my...please stop overestimating football's impact on elections.

Spoken like a truly jealous Inter fan.

Tongue
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 48 49 ... 81  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies