The Official Star Trek Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 15, 2024, 09:06:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  The Official Star Trek Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 28
Author Topic: The Official Star Trek Thread  (Read 44984 times)
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #350 on: February 07, 2019, 04:50:43 PM »

I really hate what Season 1 did with Lorca, who was the best part of the show. The Klingon arc was garbage, as was Burnham as a character. The undeserved moralizing at the end was so trite.

Season 2 is still way too early to judge, but it is certainly more Star Trek-y. Pike and the red angel thing are somewhat interesting, but I don't care about the Spock stuff, which feels like a cheap nostalgia grab.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #351 on: February 08, 2019, 12:38:22 AM »

Good episode tonight. Really "felt" like Star Trek.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #352 on: April 01, 2019, 02:52:34 PM »

It was recently revealed that the series will involve 94-year old Picard, dealing with the aftermath of the destruction of Romulus by a supernova in the late 2380s.

Besides Stewart, 3 other cast members have already been announced.

Filming will begin in the next few days and last until October.

"It’s going to be a very different show from Discovery. The only way that this universe I think works correctly, is if each show is really different and speaks to a different part of Star Trek. This is going to be a very thoughtful, psychological portrait in a lot of ways."
Rules for me, but not for thee
Dabeav
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.19, S: -5.39

« Reply #353 on: April 01, 2019, 10:20:26 PM »

Gonna be telling stories of the past, drinking and hanging out at the vineyard.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #354 on: April 03, 2019, 02:52:33 PM »

Sign me up!

I've actually enjoyed Discovery (although I've bitten my tongue over the writer more than a couple of times), but I'm increasingly intrigued to see something entirely different, from both the current crop of grim-dark sci fi shows, and the exploration-based earlier Trek.

If the show focuses on Picard's struggle to deal with the inevitable political, economic and societal fallout caused by the loss of one of the major regional powers (given that the Empire would likely collapse without Romulus) then I'm really intrigued to see where they go.

No one has touched that era of the Prime timeline since Nemesis, so its completely open for the writers to shape. No worries about anachronisms, or inconsistencies. An unexplored country, so to speak.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #355 on: April 03, 2019, 03:08:29 PM »

Sign me up!

I've actually enjoyed Discovery (although I've bitten my tongue over the writer more than a couple of times), but I'm increasingly intrigued to see something entirely different, from both the current crop of grim-dark sci fi shows, and the exploration-based earlier Trek.

If the show focuses on Picard's struggle to deal with the inevitable political, economic and societal fallout caused by the loss of one of the major regional powers (given that the Empire would likely collapse without Romulus) then I'm really intrigued to see where they go.

No one has touched that era of the Prime timeline since Nemesis, so its completely open for the writers to shape. No worries about anachronisms, or inconsistencies. An unexplored country, so to speak.

Correct.

Also: IIRC, Voyager returned back home to Earth from the Delta Quadrant in 2394 - which would only be 4 or 5 years earlier than the start date of that new Picard series (2398 or 2399).

So, the Borg will likely be defeated (?) and won't be a threat anymore. Or did they re-group somehow, after the Queen got killed off by Janeway ?
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #356 on: April 03, 2019, 03:12:47 PM »

Sign me up!

Correct.

Also: IIRC, Voyager returned back home to Earth from the Delta Quadrant in 2394 - which would only be 4 or 5 years earlier than the start date of that new Picard series (2398 or 2399).

So, the Borg will likely be defeated (?) and won't be a threat anymore. Or did they re-group somehow, after the Queen got killed off by Janeway ?

Sorry, Voyager returned home to Earth in 2378.

2394 was the alternative timeline.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #357 on: April 04, 2019, 11:16:37 PM »

I was kinda "meh" on tonight's episode, but holy sh**t that scene with Pike's vision of the future.

I would love to see a spinoff with Pike commanding the Enterprise (along with Spock, Number One, and maybe other characters from The Cage).
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #358 on: April 04, 2019, 11:24:27 PM »

Discovery has become so annoying to me that I stopped watching it in favour of The Orville and The Good Doctor instead.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #359 on: May 08, 2019, 10:25:36 AM »

There are rumours that Picard will not have a beard like in the picture in my original post.

There will be 10 episodes in Season 1 and Jonathan Frakes will direct at least 2 of them, but so far no TNG cast member has been asked to appear in the new series along Patrick Stewart.

It is also rumoured that after the destruction of Romulus, the series and Picard will focus on re-settling the Romulan refugees to other planets (something that Stewart apparently likes, as he is a more left-wing Labour-affiliated person) and it would deal with modern-day issues (just like TNG did).

Also: filming has started 2 weeks ago in CA, instead of Toronto, Canada.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #360 on: May 24, 2019, 11:30:50 AM »

First trailer out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeXQ4chR2q8

Smiley

It has potential and it's probably better than the shi**y Discovery.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #361 on: May 24, 2019, 11:44:12 AM »

First trailer out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeXQ4chR2q8

Smiley

It has potential and it's probably better than the shi**y Discovery.

For German speakers, the new voice of Picard will be hard to get used to - because the speaker who dubbed Picard died in 2013.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #362 on: May 24, 2019, 12:32:47 PM »

I have extremely high hopes and expectations.

Star Trek fans hate everything done, so I expect a sh**tstorm. Good thing Star Trek sucks.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #363 on: May 25, 2019, 12:10:02 AM »

The trailer is offering more clues about this theory:

It is also rumoured that after the destruction of Romulus, the series and Picard will focus on re-settling the Romulan refugees to other planets (something that Stewart apparently likes, as he is a more left-wing Labour-affiliated person) and it would deal with modern-day issues (just like TNG did).

The trailer has a female (Romulan ?) voice talking about how 15 years ago, Picard led the "greatest rescue armada and saved us from darkness". And then the unimagineable happened.

So, if the series takes place in 2398/2399, 15 years ago would be 2383/2384 - and about 3-4 years before the Romulan star system was destroyed by a Supernova (2387).

We can assume that scientists already were aware of the coming Supernova a few years ago, so that's why Picard and Starfleet started to rescue the Romulans, but eventually still a few billion died ...

Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #364 on: May 25, 2019, 12:21:38 AM »

Gonna be telling stories of the past, drinking and hanging out at the vineyard.

You were not wrong, after watching the trailer.

I like the slow, melancholic storytelling in it.

Hopefully, this series will be as much anti-Discovery as it can be.

I absolutely hated that fast-and-furious, technology-filled, battle-oriented crap.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #365 on: May 25, 2019, 01:07:55 AM »

For Picard to leave Starfleet, something absolutely horrific must have happened in the aftermath of the supernova. Perhaps the Federation refuses any refugees at all and the Romulans end up becoming the new Maquis? That would be incredibly poetic and I could imagine that breaking someone like Picard.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #366 on: May 25, 2019, 03:56:58 AM »

I'M SO HYPED FOR THIS

If this were anyone else, I'd be afraid about the possibility of it being a shameless cash-grab based purely on nostalgia value, but the fact is, Patrick Stewart is such a good actor that he can easily carry the entire show on his own.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #367 on: May 25, 2019, 10:54:21 AM »

For Picard to leave Starfleet, something absolutely horrific must have happened in the aftermath of the supernova. Perhaps the Federation refuses any refugees at all and the Romulans end up becoming the new Maquis? That would be incredibly poetic and I could imagine that breaking someone like Picard.

Sounds like they may be going for a refugees allegory.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #368 on: July 10, 2019, 11:25:41 PM »

Picard has a dog (and judging by the ears, it’s a Romulan or Vulcan dog):

Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #369 on: July 13, 2019, 09:18:34 PM »

So does that mean that Picard is the new Klingon? And that the Hauts de France is a planet in the galaxy? Lol
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #370 on: July 20, 2019, 03:48:04 PM »

Wowza:

Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #371 on: July 20, 2019, 04:04:49 PM »

As can be seen in the new trailer, Brent Spiner (Data or B-4) and Jeri Ryan (7 of 9) will return for the series, as will Jonathan Del Arco (who played the Borg Hugh in TNG).

The Borg also are part of the new Comic-Con trailer ...

It is likely that others will return as well, such as Jonathan Frakes, LeVar Burton, Marina Sirtis etc.
brucejoel99
Atlas Star
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #372 on: July 20, 2019, 04:46:02 PM »

This is gonna be f**king amazing.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #373 on: July 20, 2019, 05:06:27 PM »

Yes.

It’s good to see that the Borg are still around, even though it seems they are in internment camps and they are made human again with their implants being removed.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #374 on: July 22, 2019, 09:30:04 AM »

The inclusion of well-known (for the Trek fandom anyway) actors is not by any means a guarantee that this show won't suck. If the writing is weak then the show is bad. That being said, the inclusion of Michael Chabon as writer/showrunner makes me cautiously optimistic. At least more optimistic than with a hack like Alex Kurtzman at the helm (Kurtzman ist still involved in the production, but in a less significant capacity). Oh, and yes, it will be sure nice to see Jonathan Frakes, Brent Spiner, Marina Sirtis, and Jeri Ryan again. Although it's still unclear if they will appear only in cameos or will have larger roles.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 28  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies