The Official Star Trek Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 30, 2024, 05:02:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  The Official Star Trek Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 28
Author Topic: The Official Star Trek Thread  (Read 44382 times)
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #225 on: November 27, 2016, 06:56:27 AM »

The Romulans are very good adversaries. The Dominion was also good but could have been better -- the Cardassians and the Female Changeling make great villains though.

To be fair, the Dominion wasn't a species, but I would definitely agree that the Founders and the Vorta were quite compelling. The Female Changeling really was quite terrifying, in this clip and with her later order basically carrying out what said.

In TNG, I really liked the Romulans as adversaries. And, of course, I've always liked the Borg (apart from the concept of the Borg Queen, despite how well she may have played in the show).
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #226 on: January 10, 2017, 02:26:01 PM »

There's a new Star Trek series coming out in May called "Star Trek: Discovery".

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Season 1 will have 13 episodes.

How much are you looking forward to it ?
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #227 on: January 10, 2017, 03:55:43 PM »

I haven't been a fan of the recent movies, but knowing that this is unrelated to them makes me somewhat more interested. The "previously mentioned event" is also a hell of a hook.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #228 on: February 08, 2017, 09:01:12 AM »

A new trailer is out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKuZINgyR-c
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #229 on: February 08, 2017, 12:11:25 PM »

Zero interest. Have not watched any of the "reboot" films about Kirk other than bits and pieces. Not inspired to watch more, don't care.

I've read that both Michael Dorn and Jonathan Frakes have approached pretty much everyone about a Trek series that would pick up the post TNG, DS9, VOY timeline, and they've been turned down. Don't know for sure, but THAT I would positively be interested in. Especially if Dorn and/or Frakes would have anything to do with it.

I think if I get in the mood for a Trek fix I need to give DS9 and Voyager a closer look. I'm familiar enough with both to know what they're about, but a closer look might be warranted.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #230 on: February 08, 2017, 12:29:00 PM »

I'm open minded about it, but haven't really been that impressed by anything in the Trek universe since DS9 went off the air in 1999.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #231 on: February 08, 2017, 03:52:07 PM »

A little bit, I've got so many other things to watch. I may not get to it in my lifetime.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #232 on: February 08, 2017, 06:29:38 PM »

Extremely. Especially since it's set in the prime universe rather than the Abramsverse
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #233 on: February 08, 2017, 07:31:30 PM »

I believe that The Kelvin Timeline is the officially-sanctioned, politically correct term.  

That said, I agree that the Prime Timeline is superior, although both are apparently canonical.  

Voted somewhat interested.  I have watched probably every episode of Star Trek and Star Trek:  The Next Generation.  I still watch reruns of those two series regularly, although I'm not a fan of the other franchise programs.  I do enjoy the movies, and have adapted to the Kelvin Timeline, but obviously the Prime Timeline is an easier sell.  

As an aside, we're almost finished with the USS Enterprise that I bought for Christmas.  Just finished step 71 of part 3.  We're probably 3/4 of the way through, but it's careful work.  We may or may not be finished in time for my 50th birthday.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #234 on: February 08, 2017, 09:28:27 PM »
« Edited: February 08, 2017, 09:34:16 PM by Citizen (The) Doctor »

What actually is the previously-mentioned event? This thing has been delayed for so long we might actualy get to 2250 before this happens.

EDIT: Based on the idea that this is going to be a Klingon-driven plot, I hope the event is the Great Tribble Hunt.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #235 on: February 09, 2017, 09:36:45 AM »

The OP is titillating.  I suspect that it is an elaborate tease to get us to watch, like when they advertising King of the Hill as "moving" in the summer of 1999 and show a political map of California in the background (in the words "of the" between King and Hill) instead of the usual Texas political map that was usually shown.  It turns out that they were moving to a new day and time.

I'm thinking maybe the Tarsus 4 incident.  Here's a brief historical description from Memory Alpha:

In 2246, an exotic fungus destroyed most of the colony's food supply, leaving the colonists, of which there were eight thousand, in serious danger of starvation. Governor Kodos made a drastic decision: he ordered the deaths of four thousand colonists, so that the other four thousand might live, selecting those to be killed according to his personal theories of eugenics. Supply ships arrived earlier than expected, but too late to save the four thousand people Kodos murdered. All that Earth Forces found of Kodos was a burned body, and he was presumed dead, until his chance discovery on Planet Q twenty years later.

Among the survivors of the Tarsus IV incident were James T. Kirk, Kevin Riley, and Thomas Leighton, who were three of only nine survivors who knew Kodos' face, and who would be able to identify him. In 2266, they were the only three of the original nine eyewitnesses still alive.

In 2328, Tarsus IV was the destination for passengers traveling from Gamma Trianguli VI via commercial transports. Zayra Cabot had traveled on the SS Manoa, Jack Litchfeld had traveled on the SS Kogin, and David Stipes and Lorine Mendell had traveled on the SS Wisconsin.

The episode title was "The Conscience of the King" if you want to try to look it up.  It was on pretty recently, about a week ago, so that's maybe why it is on my mind. 
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #236 on: February 09, 2017, 10:17:25 AM »

Option 2.

I'm certainly more interested in it than the Abramsverse films, but in the end it could still suck. Let's wait and see.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #237 on: February 13, 2017, 10:28:55 AM »

There's a chance that this might be the new Klingons:

Could also be another (new) race though ...
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #238 on: March 13, 2017, 04:22:56 AM »

Jason Isaacs (known for Lucius Malfoy in "Harry Potter") will play the Captain of the Discovery.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/2017/03/07/newest-star-trek-captain-jason-isaacs/98858848

Approve.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #239 on: March 14, 2017, 03:10:05 PM »

Is he Garth of Izar?
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #240 on: March 14, 2017, 04:07:10 PM »

No, he's "Captain Lorca".
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #241 on: March 14, 2017, 04:15:58 PM »
« Edited: March 14, 2017, 04:21:13 PM by angus »

Finished it today!  3198 pieces.

Last night it snowed about 12 inches and all three of us had a snow day.  After we got tired of sledding and chunking snowballs at each other, we decided to finish the project we started the day after Christmas.

Behold the USS Enterprise:

Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #242 on: April 02, 2017, 09:55:42 AM »

Discovery explores a previously mentioned event from the history of Star Trek while following the crew of the USS Discovery.

It might be the Sheliak and the Grizzellas:

http://redshirtsalwaysdie.com/2017/03/30/star-trek-discovery-treaty-armens

I'm a big fan of the Sheliak.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #243 on: April 02, 2017, 01:27:20 PM »

Discovery explores a previously mentioned event from the history of Star Trek while following the crew of the USS Discovery.

It might be the Sheliak and the Grizzellas:

http://redshirtsalwaysdie.com/2017/03/30/star-trek-discovery-treaty-armens

I'm a big fan of the Sheliak.

If it were about the Sheliak, what are all those Klingon warrior characters (three, at the last count) doing on the show?

In any case, Rainn Wilson ("The Office") has been cast as Harry Mudd:
http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/star-trek-discovery-rainn-wilson-harry-mudd-1202019986/

After Sarek, this is the second previously established character from TOS who will appear on "Discovery".
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #244 on: April 02, 2017, 09:03:49 PM »

Extremely. Especially since it's set in the prime universe rather than the Abramsverse

I thought I posted to this topic before, but apparently not. I'm someone that's a strict fan of the Prime Universe. Not including TAS, I've probably seen between 90-95% of all Star Trek episodes over the past three years. After the election in November, I decided to immerse myself in ENT, which I had never watched. It had its faults, but it really picked up steam in its last season. It's a shame we couldn't have had 7 seasons of Enterprise to see the Romulan War and the formation and founding of the Federation.

To be honest, I'd rather the next series continue beyond the TNG/DS9/VOY years, but I'll take what I can get.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #245 on: May 18, 2017, 01:53:39 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSGCgA0PqCs

I actually thought it would be far worse. I don't like the design of the "new" or old Klingons, but otherwise it looks OK.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #246 on: May 18, 2017, 02:07:12 AM »

Here's a longer, different version of the trailer:

https://twitter.com/startrekcbs/status/864961771685109760

Also, some pictures:

Poster:

Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #247 on: May 27, 2017, 10:44:41 AM »

http://www.newyorker.com/tech/elements/for-alt-right-trolls-star-trek-discovery-is-an-unsafe-space

Discovery will be released in the fall.

The Netflix trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aq1f7l8Vq2o

The long-version trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rj4inzcAKk
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #248 on: May 27, 2017, 10:47:26 AM »

The alt/far-right think it's "white genocide" when the snowflakes melt in spring, too.

Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #249 on: May 27, 2017, 10:52:04 AM »

This is an absurd accusation, but I will note that internet trolls saying deplorable things in comment sections is a phenomenon as old as the internet itself.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 28  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies