Which of the following types of religious services have you been to?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 08:44:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Which of the following types of religious services have you been to?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: Which of the following types of religious services have you been to?
Catholic

Lutheran

Methodist

Presbyterian

Anglican/Episcopal

Congregational/United Church of Christ

Baptist

Reformed

Restorationist

Assembly of God

Pentecostal

Charismatic

Other Evangelical

Emergent

Seventh-day Adventist

Orthodox

Mormon

Jehova's Witness

Christian Science

Unity

Unitarian

Reformed Jewish

Conservative Jewish

Orthodox Jewish

Sunni Islam

Shia Islam

Buddhist

Hindu

Bahai

Sikh

Other (specify)

NOTA

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 45

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: Which of the following types of religious services have you been to?  (Read 9222 times)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2011, 02:05:34 PM »
« edited: December 09, 2011, 02:08:49 PM by Minion of Midas »

Catholic, not sure what that was in Canada - Assembly of God sounds like it might be the right answer*, Orthodox Jewish (funeral), Sunni, Hindu. And what do we call a Church of South India member performing a pooja at an ostensibly Hindu temple? Oh yeah, a few minutes of some many-hour-long charismatic (or pentecostal or whatever) Telugu christmas service. Mostly I just heard them hollering and shouting on the ground floor.

*EDIT: Actually not. Oh well, take one vote from there and add to... uh... other evangelical (for lack of certainty if nothing else).
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2011, 12:09:36 AM »

Since I have to work on Christmas Eve during the time my normal church is holding their service and the one I usually go to on Christmas Eve isn't doing a midnight service this year for some reason (they're doing a "Christmas Eve Eve" service on Friday instead, what?), I might be able to add Methodist to the list since I'm looking at churches with good Christmas Eve midnight services and most in the area are Methodist. One of those or the downtown Lutheran one looks most likely.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2011, 06:35:20 AM »

Lutheran
Presbyterian
Reformed Jewish
Conservative Jewish
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2011, 08:19:16 AM »

Southern Baptist and Methodist.  I've also been to a Church of God and a Bible Baptist (not the same as Southern Baptist) service.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2011, 10:05:09 AM »

United Church of Canada. I dont think Ive been to any other services... that would be blasphemy! Wink
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2011, 10:19:09 AM »

Roman Catholic (normally in the vernacular but I've been to Tridentine Mass before)
Byzantine Catholic (the Mass itself is very very different even if it is the same religion)

Methodist (for a wedding)
Lutheran (for a funeral)
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2011, 11:07:38 AM »

Catholic, Lutheran, Baptist, Unitarian, Reformed Jewish, Hindu, Buddhist and Bahai. 

I'm so faithless!  Tongue
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2011, 11:08:53 AM »

Actually, I forgot to vote for Sunni Muslim, I've been to a couple of those too.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2011, 01:03:33 PM »

I've been to Catholic ones a number of times.

I was the best man at a religious wedding, but I don't know what brand of Christianity it was. I was also in a Sunday school class one time when we were visiting relatives, but I don't remember which brand - what I do remember is the story, accompanied by a little magic trick, that was used to try to scare the kids there with hell so they'd be good little Christian automatons.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2011, 02:06:22 PM »

Catholic & Baptist only
useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2011, 03:33:20 PM »

Catholic
Lutheran
Methodist
Presbyterian
Anglican/Episcopal
Baptist
Reformed
Charismatic
Other Evangelical (Brethren, EFC)
Emergent
Orthodox
Mormon
Jehovah's Witness
Unitarian
Reformed Jewish

Others: Mennonite, Quaker
Reginald
« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2011, 04:23:49 PM »

Catholic, Lutheran, Episcopal, and then I checked "Other Evangelical" to account for my fundie high school's mandatory worship assemblies. Fun stuff.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2011, 05:21:08 PM »

And what do we call a Church of South India member performing a pooja at an ostensibly Hindu temple?

A Priest? Probs depends on the language, no? My parents are making me go to this pooja Saturday morning...I really hate it when they mildly inconvenience my life for religious purposes.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2011, 05:58:46 PM »

NOTA -though this could well change. 
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2011, 06:07:09 PM »

Catholic
Episcopal
Buddhist
Hindu
Other - Animist

Actually to be fair the Hindu and animist pasts are quite mixed up in Thailand, at least according to both my untrained eye and the comments of my Thai friends.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #40 on: December 10, 2011, 07:08:43 PM »

Methodist/Wesleyan (grew up in one)
Assemblies of God (What I consider myself today)
Baptist (multiple weddings and a few services, dated one and almost another)
Pentacostal (I put my times with 'oneness' types here to account)
Charismatic (IHOP, Jesus Culture and friends from Chicago account here)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2011, 12:27:37 PM »

Catholic, Lutheran, Baptist, Charismatic, Other Evangelical (Evangelical Free Church in America) and emergent.

I never even heard of the Emergent Church movement until you linked it.  How did you like your experience there?  Would you do it again? 
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2011, 01:50:25 PM »
« Edited: December 11, 2011, 01:52:05 PM by Songs to Fan the Flames of the Discontent »

Catholic, Lutheran, Baptist, Charismatic, Other Evangelical (Evangelical Free Church in America) and emergent.

I never even heard of the Emergent Church movement until you linked it.  How did you like your experience there?  Would you do it again?  

Yeah, I've been to some several times. I've been meeting with an emergent church plant group for the last couple months and usually go to one on Christmas Eve (can't this year because of the odd schedule as mentioned earlier). I've been to both mentioned in this video (my normal Christmas one is Spirit Garage.)
useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2011, 03:42:44 PM »

I never even heard of the Emergent Church movement until you linked it.  How did you like your experience there?  Would you do it again?  

Yeah, I've been to some several times. I've been meeting with an emergent church plant group for the last couple months and usually go to one on Christmas Eve (can't this year because of the odd schedule as mentioned earlier). I've been to both mentioned in this video (my normal Christmas one is Spirit Garage.)

Have you been to Solomon's Porch? I know that's up there, not sure if it's close to you though.

You should try Bethlehem Baptist...its in downtown Minneapolis...
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #44 on: December 11, 2011, 03:51:42 PM »
« Edited: December 11, 2011, 03:56:22 PM by Songs to Fan the Flames of the Discontent »

I never even heard of the Emergent Church movement until you linked it.  How did you like your experience there?  Would you do it again? 

Have you been to Solomon's Porch? I know that's up there, not sure if it's close to you though.

It's in southwest Minneapolis, not too far away. I've always thought about it sometime but never really have. It seems every Sunday afternoon I think about it I have something else at the same time (including today.)

I have been there once when I was a kid, the wife of one of my parents' closest friends from college goes there so we went with her once when we were staying at their place in Anoka County. I thought it was kind of weird since I had never been to a church that big before. But Baptist megachurches and John Piper aren't exactly my thing (it's kind of funny you mention both churches in the same post since it's well publicized what Piper thinks about Doug Pagitt and the emergent church...)
useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #45 on: December 11, 2011, 04:06:09 PM »

It's in southwest Minneapolis, not too far away. I've always thought about it sometime but never really have. It seems every Sunday afternoon I think about it I have something else at the same time (including today.)

I have been there once when I was a kid, the wife of one of my parents' closest friends from college goes there so we went with her once when we were staying at their place in Anoka County. I thought it was kind of weird since I had never been to a church that big before. But Baptist megachurches and John Piper aren't exactly my thing (it's kind of funny you mention both churches in the same post since it's well publicized what Piper thinks about Doug Pagitt and the emergent church...)

I think Pagitt has it out for Piper more than the reverse. I don't think I've ever even heard Piper talk about him, whereas Pagitt seems to mention Piper in every interview I've seen with him.

Honestly those are the only churches I know of in Minneapolis, other than Wooddale in Eden Prairie...
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #46 on: December 11, 2011, 04:52:36 PM »

Funny you should mention John Piper.  He's my favorite Christian author.  I love listening to his sermons on the internet every once in a while.
useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #47 on: December 11, 2011, 09:00:27 PM »

Funny you should mention John Piper.  He's my favorite Christian author.  I love listening to his sermons on the internet every once in a while.

Wth, seriously?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #48 on: December 12, 2011, 01:24:30 AM »

I don't find BushOklahoma being a fan of a conservative Baptist surprising at all...
useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #49 on: December 12, 2011, 06:48:25 AM »
« Edited: December 12, 2011, 06:50:19 AM by useful idiot »

I don't find BushOklahoma being a fan of a conservative Baptist surprising at all...

Yeah he's conservative (theologically), and a Baptist, but Piper is a little more intellectual and theological than I would have imagined BushOK would be into; he's essentially a Charismatic Presbyterian who baptizes adults. He's hardly the typical SBC megachurch guy (he's not even SBC)...

Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies