Time to turn to Newt?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:06:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Time to turn to Newt?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: Time to turn to Newt?  (Read 10652 times)
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2011, 05:21:13 PM »

Wow. You people would support Obama before you resorted to Romney.

look, the game plan is to interview every alternative (even if that means grabbing someone off the street) in full view of Romney...if we have to settle for Romney, we want to first grind his feelings in the dirt, slap him and his family around a bit, kick him in the gonads several times, and threaten the life of even his dog.  And if that former MA prostitute of a governor even thinks about screwing us around, we'll make him regret the day of this birth.
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2011, 05:49:25 PM »

I'm surprised you would turn to Newt, Phil. Santorum is at least honest. Newt, not so much. He promised us paradise before.

Seriously.  What kind of a reaction is that from Santorum's remaining supporter when Perry and Cain look to be imploding in parallel?  How hard can it be to destroy Gingrich to leave one less alternative to Santorum?  I'm surprised Santorum held his fire on Gingrich last night.
Yeah Phil, don't give up hope!  Gingrich has an entire month to shoot himself in the foot, and when he's out, who will the base turn to?  Ya boi, of cohse!

I was pretty surprised by Santorum's restraint in going after Gingrich last night. Crazy Rick hasn't help back in attacking his competition to be the anti-Romney: charging hard at Perry when he had big leads and then at Cain when he emerged.  The media consensus is that Gingrich is loaded up to take over if Cain fumbles and polls confirm.  Maybe Santorum felt confined by the debate topic of the economy and will save his arrows for Iowa campaigning.   Unless Santo Rum is getting ready to pull the plug, he throws elbows in Iowa and if Newt looks to be closing the gap with Cain, he'll clearly get some.  Won't he?
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2011, 08:53:36 PM »

Wow. You people would support Obama before you resorted to Romney.

look, the game plan is to interview every alternative (even if that means grabbing someone off the street) in full view of Romney...if we have to settle for Romney, we want to first grind his feelings in the dirt, slap him and his family around a bit, kick him in the gonads several times, and threaten the life of even his dog.  And if that former MA prostitute of a governor even thinks about screwing us around, we'll make him regret the day of this birth.
Nice to know what a defeated Texan fundie looks like. Love it.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2011, 09:02:07 PM »

Romney already did that himself on at least one occasion, so that wouldn't be much of a threat.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2011, 09:04:12 PM »

I wouldn't worry -after Newt Gingrich has his month of fame before imploding like all the others before him, Phil will return to Rick Santorum before finally forcing himself to back Romney when he wins the nomination. 
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2011, 09:30:27 PM »

Santorum showed in his 30 seconds of time tonight that he's clearly the most complete candidate the GOP has to offer: center-right, religious, tall, and charismatic.  It's strange that he's still being ignored.

He wouldn't win the general, but he wouldn't get totally destroyed.

Since when is he only 'center'-right?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2011, 09:42:31 PM »

I wouldn't worry -after Newt Gingrich has his month of fame before imploding like all the others before him, Phil will return to Rick Santorum before finally forcing himself

Maybe learning to read the posts would serve you well. I wouldn't "return" to Santorum since I never "left." I'm still voting for him. I've been consistent on that.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2011, 09:55:41 PM »

I wouldn't worry -after Newt Gingrich has his month of fame before imploding like all the others before him, Phil will return to Rick Santorum before finally forcing himself

Maybe learning to read the posts would serve you well. I wouldn't "return" to Santorum since I never "left." I'm still voting for him. I've been consistent on that.

Wait, so the Christie phase just never happened, then?
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2011, 10:55:45 PM »
« Edited: November 10, 2011, 10:59:13 PM by redcommander »

If the party of family values turns to serial cheater Newt Gingrich, say goodbye to the Republican Party as a political force. It's laughable how much Phil and the anti-Romneyites are desperate to stop him from being nominated, when he is one of the best candidates that have run for the Republican presidential nomination in a long time.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2011, 10:56:27 PM »

If the party of family values turns to serial cheater Newt Gingrich, say goodbye to the Republican Party.

I'm sure they were saying that after McCain was nominated. Tongue
Wonkish1

« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2011, 11:02:42 PM »

If the party of family values turns to serial cheater Newt Gingrich, say goodbye to the Republican Party as a political force.

That has to be one of the oddest things I've ever seen posted in regards to Newt.
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2011, 11:05:05 PM »

If the party of family values turns to serial cheater Newt Gingrich, say goodbye to the Republican Party as a political force.

That has to be one of the oddest things I've ever seen posted in regards to Newt.

You really expect them to survive if they nominate someone who so clearly is a hypocrite in regards to the party platform?
Wonkish1

« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2011, 11:24:36 PM »

You really expect them to survive if they nominate someone who so clearly is a hypocrite in regards to the party platform?

Wow a Romney supporter just said that?? I'm just scratching my head here that a Romney supporter is using this of all arguments as his argument as to why you don't pick Newt. And where does the party platform say that people who regret committing adultery is a bad thing?

You know I'm okay with Romney as the candidate. I think there are benefits and drawbacks with both Romney and Newt, but you should really think before you post.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2011, 11:26:20 PM »

If the party of family values turns to serial cheater Newt Gingrich, say goodbye to the Republican Party as a political force. It's laughable how much Phil and the anti-Romneyites are desperate to stop him from being nominated, when he is one of the best candidates that have run for the Republican presidential nomination in a long time.

So strange that a small gov't party wants to dictate what an ideal family structure look should look like. Gingrich's affairs are sleazy as hell but have nothing to do with the qualifications for the presidency. Why won't people vote on policy? This really pisses me off.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2011, 11:27:12 PM »

My fellow Republicans, I know this is not going to be easy for many of you, however, we must resign ourselves to the inevitability of a Romney Presidential candidacy.  

Perry can't name three government departments in a row he wants to cut.  How on earth can he be expected, for example, to assimilate a diversity of viewpoints put forward in a meeting of the National Security Council and make the crucial decisions expected of the leader of the free world that could involve the lives of thousands, even millions, of people?

Cain is a serial sex offender and consummate liar, and America does not need a President who is incapable of telling the truth.

Santorum, bless his heart, has withdrawn his candidacy, according to reliable sources.  He seems to have more common sense than most of this lot.

Bachmann, off to a good start, has faltered bacly, is no longer taken seriously, and is viewed mainly now as a right wing crack pot.

Paul, nice man, but his libertarian views will not attract nationwide support, and he is destined to remain in the minor leagues.

Gingrich, brilliant, but he can't even hold his campaign team together, let alone the nation.

Huntsman, will never rise above single digits.

And so I say to Republicans and Americans everywhere, let us march together boldly into the future, let us swallow our pride, let us set aside the animosities and discord that have vexed us in the past, let us embrace the Romney candidacy, I realize some not as enthusiastically as others, and let us, under the dynamic, competent, far sighted Romney leadership, build a new America, a peaceful America, a prosperous America, because Mitt Romney is truly the one prepared and the one capable, to once again restore America's greatness, and to repair the damage done to this nation during the Obama years.

Thank you for your time, and may God bless America.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2011, 11:29:48 PM »

My fellow Republicans, I know this is not going to be easy for many of you, however, we must resign ourselves to the inevitability of a Romney Presidential candidacy.  

Perry can't name three government departments in a row he wants to cut.  How on earth can he be expected, for example, to assimilate a diversity of viewpoints put forward in a meeting of the National Security Council and make the crucial decisions expected of the leader of the free world that could involve the lives of thousands, even millions, of people?

Cain is a serial sex offender and consummate liar, and America does not need a President who is incapable of telling the truth.

Santorum, bless his heart, has withdrawn his candidacy, according to reliable sources.  He seems to have more common sense than most of this lot.

Bachmann, off to a good start, has faltered bacly, is no longer taken seriously, and is viewed mainly now as a right wing crack pot.

Paul, nice man, but his libertarian views will not attract nationwide support, and he is destined to remain in the minor leagues.

Gingrich, brilliant, but he can't even hold his campaign team together, let alone the nation.

And so I say to Republicans and Americans everywhere, let us march together boldly into the future, let us swallow our pride, let us set aside the animosities and discord that have vexed us in the past, let us embrace the Romney candidacy, I realize some not as enthusiastically as others, and let us, under the dynamic, competent, far sighted Romney leadership, build a new America, a peaceful America, a prosperous America, because Mitt Romney is truly the one prepared and the one capable, to once again restore America's greatness, and to repair the damage done to this nation during the Obama years.

If by staff you mean consultants who follow the money than sure, he couldn't hold that crappy group together that fundamentally disagreed with him on basically everything. Why would you want to keep a staff together like that if you'll just fight with them because you are polar opposites?.But now he has an effectively loyal staff, building and now manning forts in Iowa and South Carolina. Creating a SuperPAC
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2011, 11:38:10 PM »

Care to share with us what these sources are?  Where did you get this information?
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #42 on: November 10, 2011, 11:40:13 PM »

Gingrich has far too much personal and political baggage (most recently the revelation that he was an F&F lobbyist as recently as 2008) for the general, and could easily be painted as "Geroff my lawn" grumpy old man if he gets grouchy.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2011, 11:44:08 PM »

Care to share with us what these sources are?  Where did you get this information?

It's not true unless Winfield has some secret source.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #44 on: November 10, 2011, 11:48:27 PM »

It's not true unless Winfield has some secret source.

Didn't Phil or someone else say a couple of months ago that Santorum was dropping out based on "reliable sources"?
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #45 on: November 10, 2011, 11:51:12 PM »

The problem with Gingrich in my opinion isn't his affairs but his track record of utter failure in dealing with Clinton in the 1990's. He was played like a violin. Since that time, policy expertise aside, he hasn't convinced me that age has brought wisdom and discipline that he lacked at that point.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #46 on: November 10, 2011, 11:53:57 PM »

People need to vote on substance!  Those who vote against Newt because of his campaign implosion earlier are too focused on the horse race or as Newt says "campaign minutia"

Focus on the man or woman who has the ideas you want a President of the United States to pursue, not tabloid trash!!!
Averroës Nix
United States

« Reply #47 on: November 10, 2011, 11:56:16 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Amazingly prescient.
Wonkish1

« Reply #48 on: November 10, 2011, 11:58:24 PM »

1) I'm not going to take advice from someone that seems intent on anointing a candidate now vs. believing a candidate should *earn* their primary win in a few months.

2) Clearly you don't have a clue as to what things have occurred in the Gingrich campaign so why should we take you seriously on why he is disqualified from a reasonable contender.

3) How do you think its a good idea as a Romney supporter to point out why all the other candidates suck instead of pointing out why Romney offers a better alternative?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #49 on: November 11, 2011, 12:00:32 AM »
« Edited: November 11, 2011, 12:02:20 AM by Torie »

The problem with Gingrich in my opinion isn't his affairs but his track record of utter failure in dealing with Clinton in the 1990's. He was played like a violin. Since that time, policy expertise aside, he hasn't convinced me that age has brought wisdom and discipline that he lacked at that point.

Yes, but I focus more on Newt's temperament, and arrogance (e.g., his desire to essentially shred Marbury v. Madison would essentially shred the US Constitution itself which he claims to love). He thinks he knows everything, but actually he knows less than I do, and I don't know everything - obviously. I'm serious. That is a very dangerous Molotov Cocktail. There is no way I would vote for this man for POTUS. None. In fact, if I thought he could beat Obama, I might walk precincts for the man whom I very much want to defeat.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies