Texas School Punishes Boy for Opposing Homosexuality
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 26, 2024, 11:07:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Texas School Punishes Boy for Opposing Homosexuality
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: Texas School Punishes Boy for Opposing Homosexuality  (Read 6922 times)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2011, 11:54:32 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

When it is demonstrably disruptive, and "fighting words" like "f****t" probably are. It's a judgment call, and that judgment should be exercised in an even handed way. Calling a kid a "fundie" might be disruptive too. Words that have an insulting coloration which is personal to another student tend to fall into the "suspect" category I would think. Make sense?
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2011, 11:57:19 AM »

When it is demonstrably disruptive, and "fighting words" like "f****t" probably are. It's a judgment call, and that judgment should be exercised in an even handed way. Calling a kid a "fundie" might be disruptive too. Words that have an insulting coloration which is personal to another student tend to fall into the "suspect" category I would think. Make sense?

Sure.  But I doubt you'd be surprised by that.  Clearly the teacher in the original matter (if we're getting enough of the crucial bits of the story) exercised poor judgment.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2011, 12:00:51 PM »
« Edited: September 23, 2011, 12:05:29 PM by jmfcst »

Sure.  But I doubt you'd be surprised by that.  Clearly the teacher in the original matter (if we're getting enough of the crucial bits of the story) exercised poor judgment.

"poor judgment"?!  That's like Bill telling Kiddo he "overreacted" when he popped a cap in her head.  If the story is correct, then the teacher CLEARLY sought to lash out at Christian views regarding homosexuality.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2011, 12:05:07 PM »

Jmfcst, I don't recall a place in the Bible where it says that "being a homosexual is wrong". Obviously it says having gay sex is wrong, but that's not what the student in this case said.

well, defining homosexual leanings as "sinful desire" and "shameful lust" and the thoughts of a "depraved mind" aint exactly giving it a ringing endorsement, is it?
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2011, 12:07:10 PM »

Yes, the liberals are known for trying to mandate their beliefs.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2011, 12:10:02 PM »

Sure.  But I doubt you'd be surprised by that.  Clearly the teacher in the original matter (if we're getting enough of the crucial bits of the story) exercised poor judgment.

"poor judgment"?!  That like Bill telling Kiddo he "overreacted" when he popped a cap in her head.  If the story is correct, then the teacher CLEARLY sought to lash out at Christian views regarding homosexuality.

How do I put this...you acknowledge that its possible to separate the christian aspect from the anti-homosexual aspect right?  Its true that the basis for the anti-homosexual belief is from a religious perspective; however, the basis for the teacher getting into a fit had nothing to do with Christianity and everything to do with the anti-homosexuality.  

So that it follows that had the student been a muslim who said I am a muslim and homosexuality is wrong...or just a hateful non-religious guy who said  I am a blah blah blah...homosexuality is wrong...the teacher would have thrown up the same fuss he did with the Christian student.

The religion is necessary for the Student's viewpoint on homosexuality, but its not really necessary for the teacher to get his knickers in a twist over the students viewpoint.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2011, 12:14:06 PM »

"poor judgment"?!  That like Bill telling Kiddo he "overreacted" when he popped a cap in her head.  If the story is correct, then the teacher CLEARLY sought to lash out at Christian views regarding homosexuality.

How do I put this...you acknowledge that its possible to separate the christian aspect from the anti-homosexual aspect right?  Its true that the basis for the anti-homosexual belief is from a religious perspective; however, the basis for the teacher getting into a fit had nothing to do with Christianity and everything to do with the anti-homosexuality.  

So that it follows that had the student been a muslim who said I am a muslim and homosexuality is wrong...or just a hateful non-religious guy who said  I am a blah blah blah...homosexuality is wrong...the teacher would have thrown up the same fuss he did with the Christian student.

The religion is necessary for the Student's viewpoint on homosexuality, but its not really necessary for the teacher to get his knickers in a twist over the students viewpoint.

yeah, I'm sure the teacher's reaction would have been the same towards a Muslim...Roll Eyes

If you hadn't noticed, the left is willing to embrace Muslims regardless of their views on homosexuality....the left isnt offended by the message from Allah, they're offended by the message from Jesus Christ
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2011, 12:15:28 PM »

yeah, I'm sure the teacher's reaction would have been the same towards a Muslim...Roll Eyes

If you hadn't noticed, the left is willing to embrace Muslims regardless of their views on homosexuality....the left isnt offended by the message from Allah, they're offended by the message from Jesus Christ

I oppose fundamentist Muslims as much than I oppose fundementalist Christians.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2011, 12:18:40 PM »

What's with these fundies? What's wrong about a girl being attracted to a girl or a guy being attracted to a guy? Who gives a sh**t?

better yet, what's wrong with a Christian believing in the bible?  why should he be punished for having Christian religious views?

Yummy...
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2011, 12:22:19 PM »

I oppose fundamentist Muslims as much than I oppose fundementalist Christians.

perhaps you do, but the vast majority of the press doesnt
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2011, 12:50:33 PM »

Yes, the liberals are known for trying to mandate their beliefs.

bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2011, 12:52:47 PM »

To be honest with you, I doubt the left (whatever that might be) really gives a damn at the moment about Islam's view on homosexuality because its far more preoccupied with a group of muslims willing to commit mass terror and murder over other things not really connected with homosexuality.  

Solve that problem and a few others on the totem pole and maybe we'll see the left take on the anti-homosexual muslims.  If the left is true to its word of course.  
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2011, 12:55:53 PM »

I see nothing wrong with this. School is not the place for children to be spouting hate speech.

Ah ah ah....careful there. He never said anything about hate. Never used foul language, either.

I can't stand rap music, hand signs, and people who talk ghetto-style.

Is that hating against African Americans? Not at all. But you'd be fast to want to say that. This is an example of how touchy you progressives get. Simmer down.

Yes, Naso, we know you're racist. But if the boy had coded his racism, like you do, by attacking stereotypical gay cultural things, then he wouldn't be in trouble. But he literally said that gay people were bad. And that kind of thing shouldn't go unpunished at school.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2011, 12:59:44 PM »

The issue is that there is an explicit constitutional right to religious freedom and a part of that is to have the freedom to believe that something is morally wrong. If I for some reason happened to believe that since Sunday is the LORD's day, anyone who drinks coffee on Sundays deserves to burn in the deepest circle of hell, I have every right to believe that and express that opinion in a non-disruptive manner should the topic somehow come up. Now, if I went around calling people derogatory names or starting speaking out about this constantly in the middle of unrelated topics, that would be a problem.

The story is lacking any kind of response from the teacher and the school rescinded the punishment so we'll have to assume in this case that the student was not being disruptive or unnecessarily inflammatory.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2011, 01:00:23 PM »

To be honest with you, I doubt the left (whatever that might be) really gives a damn at the moment about Islam's view on homosexuality because its far more preoccupied with a group of muslims willing to commit mass terror and murder over other things not really connected with homosexuality.  

Solve that problem and a few others on the totem pole and maybe we'll see the left take on the anti-homosexual muslims.  If the left is true to its word of course.  

dude, the left is embracing the Arab Spring like it was the best thing since sliced bread...and they've run article after article how Muslims in America are nicer than Christians in America
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2011, 01:08:53 PM »

dude, the left is embracing the Arab Spring like it was the best thing since sliced bread...and they've run article after article how Muslims in America are nicer than Christians in America

And they're doing it out of a (naive perhaps) hope that the new Arab bosses will be better than the old ones.  Probably wrong.  I was saying they were targeting the known bad guys (jihadists etc) which I know you will say are nearly the same with the Arab Spring guys, but thats more of an aside point.

As for the y is nicer than x...I haven't seen that trend.  I'm sure you can find a few articles (maybe a decent quantity) but who is to say what their real motive is?  Bash the entrenched power (who also is probably predominantly christian) in favor of other interests (which US muslims probably are a part of)?  Try to run favorable stories on muslims to show the rest of the country they arent as bad as we think (of course they'd cherry pick the muslims most americans would feel comfortable with)?  Or perhaps as you suppose, they have an anti-christian or even anti-religious agenda and the muslims are a short term ally and long term enemy too.  Long story short, I just dont think the media's agenda is as quick and easy to characterize as you seem to think.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2011, 01:16:34 PM »

As for the y is nicer than x...I haven't seen that trend.  I'm sure you can find a few articles (maybe a decent quantity) but who is to say what their real motive is?  Bash the entrenched power (who also is probably predominantly christian) in favor of other interests (which US muslims probably are a part of)?  Try to run favorable stories on muslims to show the rest of the country they arent as bad as we think (of course they'd cherry pick the muslims most americans would feel comfortable with)?  Or perhaps as you suppose, they have an anti-christian or even anti-religious agenda and the muslims are a short term ally and long term enemy too.  Long story short, I just dont think the media's agenda is as quick and easy to characterize as you seem to think.

bro, I ran entire threads on this showing how the media set up a daily feature to show a new story each day about Muslims in America being mistreated by Christians....and about a week later, Newt came out with his "US might become an majority atheist country ruled by Sharia law" remark.  kinda hard not to notice when every day you look at the TV news, internet, and newspapers and see the same pattern day after day after day....where were you during this time when the atheist press took up the cause of Muslim and attempted to make Christians look repressive?

of course, since the Arab Spring aint looking so good now, those series have basically stopped
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #42 on: September 23, 2011, 01:32:44 PM »

You must watch different media than I do, because I haven't noticed that at all really, and in particular a focus on Christians in particular as the perps. But it is understandable that you have more sensitivity to this than I, so no doubt I am not paying as much attention to this sort of thing as you are.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #43 on: September 23, 2011, 01:51:09 PM »

You must watch different media than I do, because I haven't noticed that at all really, and in particular a focus on Christians in particular as the perps. But it is understandable that you have more sensitivity to this than I, so no doubt I am not paying as much attention to this sort of thing as you are.

well, I created a whole thread on it back in March and every day I gave a new example:
Day 1
https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=133688.msg2853096#msg2853096

Day 2
https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=133688.msg2853812#msg2853812

Day 3
https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=133688.msg2854717#msg2854717

Day 4
https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=133688.msg2855597#msg2855597

...I stopped, not because I ran out of examples, but because I simply got board with this forum's delusional refusal to acknowledge what was going on....but, like I said, since the Arab Spring is beginning to show it's turn intentions, a lot of this kind of coverage has stopped
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #44 on: September 23, 2011, 01:51:26 PM »

'Honor student'?  Apparently he's too stupid to know when to edit himself.  And btw, what kind of trash names their child 'Dakoda'?

But seriously folks, this is just the typical setup designed for Republican campaigns.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #45 on: September 23, 2011, 01:58:34 PM »

mark my words:  it won't be long before it will unlawful to publically express the view that homosexuality is a sin

In the US? You'd have to repeal the First Amendment to do that. Given that neo-Nazis and the KKK have been able to spew their bile in public for as long as they have, I find such a worry to be without any rational basis.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: September 23, 2011, 02:04:34 PM »

I think this story provides a rational basis.
Marston
United States

« Reply #47 on: September 23, 2011, 02:08:21 PM »

I think this story provides a rational basis.

Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #48 on: September 23, 2011, 02:13:38 PM »

Jmfcst, I don't recall a place in the Bible where it says that "being a homosexual is wrong". Obviously it says having gay sex is wrong, but that's not what the student in this case said.

Back in those days, homosexuality was a choice-that is, a hobby-rather than a lifestyle.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #49 on: September 23, 2011, 02:20:04 PM »

The teacher attempted to have the student suspended. The school in this case did overturn that decision, but who's to say another school in a similar situation will do the same. It doesn't take the US to repeal the First Amendment for a teacher and a school who want to start enforcing this to do so haphazardly so long as the student involved either doesn't make a big issue or the parents don't sue.

The other issue is that there's quite a bit of subtlety in how this type of thing is enforced, for example, what constitutes "disruptive"? It's really up to the discretion of the teacher and school. I can see circumstances where what would be disruptive for a student who thinks homosexuality is immoral might not be the same as what would be disruptive for one with the opposite views. I have no doubt at all that someone somewhere will be punished along these lines.

To be honest, I'd suggest the right take a good long look at trying hardest to guarantee the right to dissent from popular sentiment on the morality of homosexuality rather than fighting over gay marriage. That ship has sailed; it really has. We need to make sure people are allowed to view homosexuality (I'm taking the definition as homosexual acts, relationships, and fantasies btw) as immoral.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies