Is there a "Huntspiracy"?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 17, 2024, 09:44:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Is there a "Huntspiracy"?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Is the mainstream media making a concerted and deliberate effort to promote Jon Huntsman's candidacy?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 50

Author Topic: Is there a "Huntspiracy"?  (Read 2845 times)
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 02, 2011, 08:09:24 PM »
« edited: September 02, 2011, 08:15:28 PM by Simfan34 »

I've been seeing claims of Huntsman getting disproportionate media attention, questionable debate inclusions, even frontrunner-esque treatment, and I must ask: is something up? Is the media trying to prop up Jon Huntsman? And if so, why? Ratings? Malice? Personal adherence?
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2011, 08:11:01 PM »

I don't hear him mentioned in the news all too often, but I do think it's funny how he's always included in the debates despite never meeting the publicly announced thresholds.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2011, 08:16:41 PM »

I don't hear him mentioned in the news all too often, but I do think it's funny how he's always included in the debates despite never meeting the publicly announced thresholds.

The thing is, he does, but some claim they were contrived to include him and exclude others.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2011, 08:17:43 PM »

Obviously.  He's constantly mentioned on shows as someone who "could emerge" and "not to count out" despite being completely dead in the water.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2011, 08:24:46 PM »

But why?
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2011, 08:33:22 PM »
« Edited: September 02, 2011, 08:51:08 PM by Likely Voter »

well if the "liberal media" were conspiring, they surely wouldn't want to push Huntsman as he is the candidate that supposedly the Obama team are most concerned about in a general election.

He is another one of those candidates that the media elite think people "should like" but dont seem to go anywhere,  like Paul Tsongas (92), Bill Richardson (08)
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2011, 08:34:16 PM »

I think the media, which is primarily a liberal organization (with obvious exceptions) looks at the entire Republican field and would feel bad about disliking all of them, so they choose Huntsman as their favorite because he is by far the most likeable for a liberal. I think it’s part of human nature and our political process to reinforce how “bad” someone/something is by pointing out a more preferable alternative. To liberals, Huntsman is that alternative. He’s way more palatable to liberals than any of the others.
NCeriale
Rookie

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2011, 08:41:16 PM »

They secretly have had it with Obama and are looking for an (R) to root for.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2011, 09:12:12 PM »

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2011/08/why-the-press-loves-jon-huntsman-but-ignores-ron-paul/243910/
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2011, 10:15:04 PM »
« Edited: September 02, 2011, 10:16:41 PM by Politico »

They secretly have had it with Obama and are looking for an (R) to root for.

This. After it is completely clear Huntsman is going nowhere, expect a lot of Romney fan boyism. Not because they will particularly like Romney, but because he will be the most tolerable candidate left standing. I mean, if the choice is Perry, Bachmann, maybe Palin, or Romney, what do you expect?
The_Texas_Libertarian
TXMichael
United States

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2011, 10:18:34 PM »

From what I've seen of Huntsman he appears to be all about the issues and not about the personal attacks.  That's why I like him, he doesn't focus on attacks of character like the other GOP candidates do.  An Obama-Huntsman debate would be a great one (three?) to watch
argentarius
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2011, 07:40:46 AM »

Definitely, especially when compared to Gary Johnson. The excuses are pathetic too. Why is it more interesting that a republican believes in man-made global warming and evolution than when a republican believes in both of those and that we should legalise drugs?
milhouse24
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2011, 09:07:15 AM »

Huntsman is also very rich, and I'm sure his wealth is helping to grease the wheels of the PR machine.  He's fairly photogenic and doesn't have a mullet like T-paw.  I agree that liberal news orgs are pushing him because of his liberal/moderate stances on the issues like climate change, which are big liberal issues that journalists care about, but no one else really does when compared to jobs and the economy.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2011, 10:12:43 AM »

This piece by Friedersdorf is excellent.  Thanks for sharing.

Granting Friedersdorf's critiques, I think it's good that Huntsman is playing the role in the GOP campaign that he has settled on.  But that anemic "jobs" plan (exclusively a tax cut package) of last week was a real dud. 
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -6.61

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2011, 10:23:43 AM »

He's the smartest dead fish in the pond.
Guderian

« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2011, 01:11:20 PM »

He's culturally in tune with media establishment and he has nice hair. EOD.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2011, 02:45:48 PM »

If the media were Republican and smart, it would definitely promote Huntsman, as he's the most likely candidate to be able to beat Obama.
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2011, 02:52:22 PM »

Because he's a curiosity.  Its strange to have a candidate willing to tell the truth when lies are the only way to increase polling numbers.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2011, 02:56:14 PM »

The attention isn't completely out of proportion.

Paul's lack of attention is more striking.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2011, 04:05:46 PM »

Whenever I see the news it's Romney, Perry, Huntsman, and then now dimming out Bachmann.

So yes
NCeriale
Rookie

« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2011, 07:29:49 PM »
« Edited: September 03, 2011, 07:32:59 PM by NCeriale »

They want to build him for this reason: Huntsman is not a religious candidate. His views on climate change and evolution and gay rights make him someone that the media wants to root for.

They figure that a Republican in 2016 assuming Obama's reelection is a given and they don't want another George Bush. But now with Obama's reelection odds sitting somewhere between Tim Kaine winning the Virginia Senate race and Jesus coming back, they are trying to build him up.

it's similar to Bruno's support for Vinick in the West Wing: he's an attractive candidate who they believe can be a uniter.This line of dialogue does seem tired but persistent.

Also, they see this as a chance to move the Republican Party to the center on the social issues which is why a lot of Democrats are rooting for him given the political inevitability of a Republican president possibly sooner than later. They don't want to have to fight over the social issues and they don't want to have to care about what Pat Robertson thinks anymore
argentarius
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2011, 08:00:49 PM »

They want to build him for this reason: Huntsman is not a religious candidate. His views on climate change and evolution and gay rights make him someone that the media wants to root for.
Gary Johnson:
Believes in evolution
Believes in climate change
Is gay-friendly
Was a 2-term governor

Why won't the media cover him (he's living off scraps right now while Huntsman is wasting his large amount of coverage)?
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2011, 08:12:25 PM »

Huntsman is the type of Republican that a lot of the media, particularly in the beltway, loves to pretend still actually exists in large numbers. Mild mannered, serious, 'moderate', and so on. Ironically, the more he's included despite his constant 1-2% polling just further reinforces that his supposed brand of Republicanism does not exist anymore the way the beltway media thinks that it does.
NCeriale
Rookie

« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2011, 08:15:30 PM »

Huntsman is the type of Republican that a lot of the media, particularly in the beltway, loves to pretend still actually exists in large numbers. Mild mannered, serious, 'moderate', and so on. Ironically, the more he's included despite his constant 1-2% polling just further reinforces that his supposed brand of Republicanism does not exist anymore the way the beltway media thinks that it does.

Very good point
WillK

« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2011, 08:34:29 PM »

Gary Johnson:
Believes in evolution
Believes in climate change
Is gay-friendly
Was a 2-term governor

Why won't the media cover him (he's living off scraps right now while Huntsman is wasting his large amount of coverage)?

Johnson also advocates for legalizing marijuana. 
I think the mainstream media writes him off as a result.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies