Would Jesus Christ have banned Rochambeau?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 24, 2024, 10:50:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Would Jesus Christ have banned Rochambeau?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Poll
Question: Would Jesus Christ have banned Rochambeau?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 32

Author Topic: Would Jesus Christ have banned Rochambeau?  (Read 12604 times)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: August 04, 2011, 02:47:00 PM »

Secondly, excluding Jesus' meanderings about the nature of god and man, an opinion of which anyone educated or uneducated could have should he so wish, his musings about mans relationship with fellow men isn't particularly complex, or new or unique. Confucius covered the same ground 500 years earlier in a part of the world that was as distant from Judea then as Mars is to us today. The Golden Rule for example is found in just about every ethical religious and secular tradition. The fact Jesus comments on it would only be of any interest had he not condoned it.

Once a Catholic always a Catholic, eh?

Afleitch is a papist? Oh no.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #51 on: August 04, 2011, 02:59:09 PM »

According to tradition (the only source for so much Tongue) Plato was originally a budding poet before he met Socrates, and upon meeting Socrates immediately went home, torched his poetry, and vowed to only write philosophy from then on.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #52 on: August 04, 2011, 03:15:11 PM »

Firstly, there is no evidence that Jesus said anything that's attributed to him.

then whoever is the source, whether it be Jesus or MysteryPersonX doesnt matter to my question, the point is someone crawled out the woodwork around 30AD without formal training and became the most quoted philosopher in history....my question is: is there any other example of an untrained man becoming a world renowned philosopher?

---
The Golden Rule for example is found in just about every ethical religious and secular tradition.
it is also found in Lev 19:18 "love your neighbor as yourself"

---
Christians allude to the uncomfortable similarities between Socrates and Jesus. Socrates may not have existed; it does not matter on jot to me if he did or didn't as my life doesn't depend on that. The writings attributed to Jesus are simply an extension of an existing philosophic tradition saddled with the figures or Jesus during his later 'Hellenisation' (most notably in John) That is worth an essay in itself.

obviously Jesus was expounding upon a previous foundation (the OT) within a Greek influenced country...he never said he was introducing a totally new set of rules or ideas.

But, the fact remains the tact he took and the illustrations he used transcended cultures....

....but this is completely irrelevant from my question (see above)
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #53 on: August 04, 2011, 03:33:01 PM »

in fact, set Jesus aside...I am simply asking about the known historical backgrounds...are there any who crawled out from under a rock or were they all educated?
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #54 on: August 04, 2011, 04:06:00 PM »

in fact, set Jesus aside...I am simply asking about the known historical backgrounds...are there any who crawled out from under a rock or were they all educated?

There are often no real 'known historical' backgrounds of ancient historical figures. There is no historical record of Jesus' youth and family background other than the Gospels. Even if we accep the essense of his background minus likely elaborations, it's not really unique by any account. Mohammed is 'said' to be of a poor background with his father dead before he was born and his mother dead when he was 6 (He did later marry into money) So too was Joseph Smith if you want to fast forward a bit.

Much of what Jesus' preached, or rather what has been later attributed to him as I've said before isn't that prophetic or unique. It is likely that the Gospel writers lifted heavily from the Stoics.

The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #55 on: August 04, 2011, 11:53:50 PM »

Muhammad was the illiterate son of a slightly-down-on-their-luck clan of the wealthiest tribe in Arabia.  His social position was bad in terms of the rest of the Quraysh Tribe, but the Quraysh were the top tribe.  And, as afleitch mentioned, he married an incredibly wealthy widow.  (Muhammad claimed that the Angel Gabriel taught him how to read and write eventually, so if you buy that he wasn't illiterate his whole life)
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #56 on: August 05, 2011, 12:07:06 AM »

I believe Jesus one said trolling in one's heart was as bad as committing the crime itself.  Mr. Christ was very much about laying down the banhammer.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #57 on: August 05, 2011, 10:13:56 AM »
« Edited: August 05, 2011, 10:17:21 AM by jmfcst »

I believe Jesus one said trolling in one's heart was as bad as committing the crime itself.  Mr. Christ was very much about laying down the banhammer.

actually, Jesus allowed his disciples to troll once in a while

Mat 12
1 At that time Jesus went through the grainfields on the Sabbath. His disciples were hungry and began to pick some heads of grain and eat them. 2 When the Pharisees saw this, they said to him, “Look! Your disciples are doing what is unlawful on the Sabbath.”
 3 He answered, “Haven’t you read what David did when he and his companions were hungry? 4 He entered the house of God, and he and his companions ate the consecrated bread—which was not lawful for them to do, but only for the priests."

which is why Jesus was placed on The List  Wink
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #58 on: May 26, 2012, 11:48:18 PM »

Gah, this is so bittersweet in hindsight...

It's going to be so hard reading archives and finding jmfcst posts...
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #59 on: May 27, 2012, 12:47:06 AM »

Gah, this is so bittersweet in hindsight...

It's going to be so hard reading archives and finding jmfcst posts...

I think Jesus would want you to bump every thread that jmfcst ever posted in.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #60 on: May 28, 2012, 09:42:19 PM »

Not really a different question to when the Pharisees tried to trap Jesus about paying taxes to the Romans.

Jmfcst's comments about Jesus allowing his disciples to troll was a different scenario - where the Pharisees were trying to project their opinions onto God and use God as their justification in criticising people... there's the Matthew 12 situation Jmf mentioned, there was Jesus healing the man with the whithered hand, which follows immediately after and therefore in context demonstrates that Jesus was saying that God's compassion is greater than God's law.

Banning posters and infracting posts is completely within David Leip's administration and no one attempts to justify it as a rule imposed by God, which is why it is similar to the question about paying taxes to the Romans. Give to Caesar what is Caesar's, to God what is God's and to David Leip what is David Leip's.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #61 on: May 28, 2012, 09:55:46 PM »

Probably not.  But then again, I doubt Jesus would have ever volunteered to moderate an American political forum.  After all, I'm told that he already has dibs on Judgement Day.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #62 on: September 27, 2020, 11:10:59 PM »

Discussion of this classic troll reminded me of this lol.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies