Would Jesus Christ have banned Rochambeau?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 24, 2024, 03:02:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Would Jesus Christ have banned Rochambeau?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: Would Jesus Christ have banned Rochambeau?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 32

Author Topic: Would Jesus Christ have banned Rochambeau?  (Read 12608 times)
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2011, 07:22:11 PM »

So, I go to Quebec for a tad more than 24 hours... and the Roach is banned, his fanclub buys tin foil hats and stage a funeral, BRTD has some creepy new obsession with Jesus or religion or something? Did I miss anything?

yeah, my death point total fell 49 points!

Reported Posts: 124 (+7)
Moderated Posts: 58
Infraction Points: 51 (-49!)

strange days, bro, strange days
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2011, 07:24:05 PM »

You don't like those lyrics? What do you disagree with?

Oh and the song F**KING ROCKS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxkRXEijCxo

no, I'm very happy you are focusing on Christ
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2011, 05:17:04 PM »

So, I go to Quebec for a tad more than 24 hours... and the Roach is banned, his fanclub buys tin foil hats and stage a funeral, BRTD has some creepy new obsession with Jesus or religion or something? Did I miss anything?

The purges have begun. Word of a list leaked out, though the moderators have been keeping their lips tight about it. These are dark times you have returned to. Very dark times.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2011, 05:26:02 PM »

The purges have begun. Word of a list leaked out, though the moderators have been keeping their lips tight about it. These are dark times you have returned to. Very dark times.

Yeah, I'd like to be a fly on the wall of the moderators board.  certainly better than being a rat.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2011, 06:29:35 AM »

We should all strive to follow Jesus Christ, not man-made rules like of religion. Or the TOS.

LOL, no.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2011, 08:52:19 AM »

Hashemite is not on the list, so he'd be advised not to fuss about it.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2011, 09:44:00 AM »

People, as a Pole I know more than you all do combined that Swedes can be very dangerous people. They'll deluge you if you mess with them.

So, for your own safety, don't f**k with Lord Gustaf.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2011, 09:47:43 AM »

He would have banned Kal before the Roach.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2011, 10:36:02 AM »

My impression of the cave suggests what you believe to be functionally impossible. It suggests a level of single minded unity and organization that is belied by the objective facts. Happiness is pretending the mods don't exist really except as regular posters. I don't think about the mods as mods when I am pounding the keyboard - ever. Smiley
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2011, 11:03:30 AM »

We should all strive to follow Jesus Christ, not man-made rules like of religion. Or the TOS.

LOL, no.

Yes, religion and man-made decrees have done so many good things throughout history after all. Roll Eyes
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2011, 11:22:16 PM »

Is there a way to express my skepticism over the ability of a Galilean carpenter-turned-itinerant-preacher from two millennia ago to comprehend, much less moderate, an Internet forum devoted to political cartography without sounding like a smug asshole?
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2011, 11:27:20 PM »

Is there a way to express my skepticism over the ability of a Galilean carpenter-turned-itinerant-preacher from two millennia ago to comprehend, much less moderate, an Internet forum devoted to political cartography without sounding like a smug asshole?

if I may...

Acts 17:27 "Seek him and perhaps reach out for him and find him, though he is not far from any one of us."
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2011, 11:45:14 PM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Yeah His kingdom will have no end, he could probably comprehend a forum about election maps.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2011, 03:45:14 AM »

Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2011, 04:10:56 AM »

LOL, no.

Yes, religion and man-made decrees have done so many good things throughout history after all. Roll Eyes

Because Jesus is surely not a religious figure. Roll Eyes
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #40 on: August 04, 2011, 06:29:26 AM »

To paraphrase Reverend Mike Huckabee: Jesus was too smart to start posting on some internet forum.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #41 on: August 04, 2011, 09:46:50 AM »

LOL, no.

Jesus sure wasn't popular with religious leaders of the era and it certainly wasn't in tune with what he preached.

When people follow religion they're following some man-made set of rules and obeying the whims of a bunch of self-appointed fallible and flawed leaders. Jesus never said that's the way things she should be. That's part of why I used to be so hateful toward the Catholic Church and probably why people are never Catholic in my subculture. That obviously wasn't right, but neither is trusting in some man-made institution or rules given out by that institution instead of Jesus.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #42 on: August 04, 2011, 10:51:25 AM »

LOL, no.

Jesus sure wasn't popular with religious leaders of the era and it certainly wasn't in tune with what he preached.

When people follow religion they're following some man-made set of rules and obeying the whims of a bunch of self-appointed fallible and flawed leaders. Jesus never said that's the way things she should be. That's part of why I used to be so hateful toward the Catholic Church and probably why people are never Catholic in my subculture. That obviously wasn't right, but neither is trusting in some man-made institution or rules given out by that institution instead of Jesus.

Not an unreasonable position. But there is nothing to suggest what Jesus said wasn't man made either; either by someone else writing on his behalf or even directly from the man himself claiming a divinity to which he wasn't entitled. Men are the makers of gods.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #43 on: August 04, 2011, 11:30:08 AM »
« Edited: August 04, 2011, 11:39:48 AM by jmfcst »

Not an unreasonable position. But there is nothing to suggest what Jesus said wasn't man made either; either by someone else writing on his behalf or even directly from the man himself claiming a divinity to which he wasn't entitled. Men are the makers of gods.

Serious question being asked because I don’t now the subject that well (I didn't receive a classical education...obviously): what is the typical training background profile of the world’s great philosophers (e.g. Aristotle, Plato, etc)?

And does Jesus fit that training profile?
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #44 on: August 04, 2011, 11:48:07 AM »

Serious question being asked because I don’t now the subject that well: what is the typical training background profile of the world’s great philosophers (e.g. Aristotle, Plato, etc)?

And does Jesus fit that profile?

No training is required to philosophise (I live in Glasgow; where everyone thinks they are a philosopher Wink ) so yes Jesus can fit that profile. So can you or I. But one should be wary of any philosopher (or anyone for that matter) who declares themselves, or is declared 'divine' and with a divine mandate. Many of Jesus' saying can be secularly appraised for the same reason that Confucius' sayings can be appraised; "Don't do unto others as you would not have them do unto you" for example are the words of Confucius and are universal (They are the Golden Rule or the Silver Rule) or emphasising chih (integrity) i (fairness) chung (loyalty) shu (co-operation) and ren (compassion)

But he didn't claim divinity; his message was a message of the relationship between men and other men, masters and rulers, brother to brother. He was not seeking to dabble in the divine.

jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #45 on: August 04, 2011, 11:56:17 AM »

No training is required to philosophise (I live in Glasgow; where everyone thinks they are a philosopher Wink ) so yes Jesus can fit that profile. So can you or I.

ok, but applying that to the historical examples:  are there any other historically renowned philosophers (on the level of the following of say Plato, Aristotle, etc) that were untrained and simply crawled out of the woodwork like Jesus did?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #46 on: August 04, 2011, 12:02:51 PM »

LOL, no.

Jesus is most probably a man himself.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #47 on: August 04, 2011, 02:20:08 PM »

No training is required to philosophise (I live in Glasgow; where everyone thinks they are a philosopher Wink ) so yes Jesus can fit that profile. So can you or I.

ok, but applying that to the historical examples:  are there any other historically renowned philosophers (on the level of the following of say Plato, Aristotle, etc) that were untrained and simply crawled out of the woodwork like Jesus did?

Probably a few points here which are probably best taken in turn

Firstly, there is no evidence that Jesus said anything that's attributed to him. The same can be said for other ancient philosophers (and questions remain over whether some existed at all) however the destination of my soul is not at stake according to 'Platonists' as to whether I believe he said what is written about him. Nor did he mandate that I must believe what he says as the only good under pain of eternal torment.

Secondly, excluding Jesus' meanderings about the nature of god and man, an opinion of which anyone educated or uneducated could have should he so wish, his musings about mans relationship with fellow men isn't particularly complex, or new or unique. Confucius covered the same ground 500 years earlier in a part of the world that was as distant from Judea then as Mars is to us today. The Golden Rule for example is found in just about every ethical religious and secular tradition. The fact Jesus comments on it would only be of any interest had he not condoned it.

Christians allude to the uncomfortable similarities between Socrates and Jesus. Socrates may not have existed; it does not matter on jot to me if he did or didn't as my life doesn't depend on that. The writings attributed to Jesus are simply an extension of an existing philosophic tradition saddled with the figures or Jesus during his later 'Hellenisation' (most notably in John) That is worth an essay in itself.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #48 on: August 04, 2011, 02:23:42 PM »

Secondly, excluding Jesus' meanderings about the nature of god and man, an opinion of which anyone educated or uneducated could have should he so wish, his musings about mans relationship with fellow men isn't particularly complex, or new or unique. Confucius covered the same ground 500 years earlier in a part of the world that was as distant from Judea then as Mars is to us today. The Golden Rule for example is found in just about every ethical religious and secular tradition. The fact Jesus comments on it would only be of any interest had he not condoned it.

Once a Catholic always a Catholic, eh?
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #49 on: August 04, 2011, 02:26:59 PM »

Once a Catholic always a Catholic, eh?

Grin

Despite not having a faith, I still 'think' like a Jesuit.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies